Taking Food to Your Room

If you want to take food back to you room, does the ship provide paper plates or any sort of to-go containers for this purpose?  Can I bring my own styrofoam containers from home or is that not allowed.  I just don’t want to carry open plates of food all around the ship.

25 minutes ago, purpldoll6x said:

If you want to take food back to you room, does the ship provide paper plates or any sort of to-go containers for this purpose?  Can I bring my own styrofoam containers from home or is that not allowed.  I just don’t want to carry open plates of food all around the ship.

Just get your plate of food then ask for a second plate that you turn upside down to cover your food plate.  Easy peasy…😁

• Like 4

From the WJ, the second plate method is easiest, from the MDR, they may give you a cover- we got that once when we were so late due to “reasons”. 

And for pizza or sandwiches from the cafe, ask for the second plate. 

Oh, when done, just leave outside your cabin for pick up. It’s better they clean it vs more waste to deal with it. 

Edited by alfaeric
More onfo

In the WJ just ask a server and they'll give you a cover or a napkin or plate works well too.

I think it's kinda weird when someone gets on an elevator with a plate of uncovered food.

• Like 2

They won't serve directly into your own containers but you can go over to a table and move the items into your own. I've done this with a bento box style container with a lid. It's great for having some little snacks in the room. Your ability to wash your containers is limited so I wouldn't suggest anything too messy.

I have taken food from windjammer for breakfast to eat on my balcony and simply draped a cloth napkin or another plate over it.     A lot of times I will order  a desert and eat it later at night.  The MDR and restaurants such as Chops will give you a lid (same ones they use for room service).     

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

In the WJ just ask a server and they'll give you a cover or a napkin or plate works well too.

I think it's kinda weird when someone gets on an elevator with a plate of uncovered food.

Yup, agree! Always covered with a plate or napkin!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Just don't put the post-dinner plates in the hall way. They don't like that too much

Agree...seeing them lined up in the hallway is not a good thing. Leave them in your cabin and your steward will take care of them next cabin service. Room service will come get them if it's room service you've ordered.

• Like 5

For washing any food containers in my room:  I cut up a paper towel in small squares and put some in a small zip bag with a squirt of dishwashing soap. Then pull one out when I need to wash something. (I double bag them so they don’t leak, or pack with toiletries.)

For a cruise, I just need a few to wash out my re-usable water bottle. Although I usually pack everything but the kitchen sink, I haven’t brought food storage containers on a cruise yet. 😂

• Haha 1

My mom came from an era of scarcity. So there was always a gallon zip-lock bag in her purse for “leftovers” from any restaurant or buffet we went to. Such ingrained behavior doesn’t end on a cruise ship, where dinner rolls and treats from the Windjammer were “smuggled” back to her room. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

The plates are heavy and can be challenging when trying to hold the second plate on top and press the elevator button. Is room service an option for you? 

Heavy?  They're Melmac and don't weigh that much, unless of course, they're piled high with food.  We do the plate on top of plate method a lot.  If we're hanging in the solarium and want to go grab lunch to bring back to our seat, that's how we do it.  We've never had any issue.  

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

From the WJ, the second plate method is easiest, from the MDR, they may give you a cover- we got that once when we were so late due to “reasons”. 

Oh, when done, just leave outside your cabin for pick up. It’s better they clean it vs more waste to deal with it. 

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Please don’t leave plates or room service trays outside your cabin in the hallway. First of all they’re unsightly and secondly they’re dangerous. People coming down the hallway could trip on them or if someone’s in a wheelchair it just makes the hallway more narrow than it already is.

• Like 6

Another idea for covering a plate from the WJ.  I save those little packages in hotel rooms that have shower caps in them.  Just use one of those as a cover.  With the elastic, it should fit tightly.  (One company actually makes/made something similar for food storage, but why pay if you already have it for free!).

• Like 1

I get this is probably just me, but, this all seems like work.  Having to plan how to get food to your room.  On a ship, that is literally loaded with places to eat.  Really?  I mean I totally get wanting something to snack on later, but, come on.  Room service.  Use it.

• Like 1