The Daily for Wednesday August 18, 2021

richwmn

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Glad you slept well and feel better this morning. Morning Dailyite family! 

Love a nice Pinot Noir. Daffodils are such happy flowers, perhaps because they are one of the early signs the Earth is renewing itself. 

My condolences @Mr. Boston on losing Marcie. Hope you find a way to celebrate the start of your new year and celebrate her life!  I suspect Marcie would want you to celebrate your day.
E076E662-B875-4246-88FE-2746FCF25061.jpeg.b9415baaa6bd01812685946ec71962e7.jpeg

Today’s meal might be good during our 10 days of winter. It certainly looks tasty. I believe I have had one or two of today’s drinks.  😎 Another lazy day in the sauna for me. Though yesterday’s breeze allowed me to get in 11,000 steps. Today is hopefully my last day of zombie leg. Supper tonight will be Asian chicken and veggies. I found the package in the freezer when pulling out the tomato sauce yesterday. Buried treasure. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon

Love big, bold Cabs? This wine might be for you. A few online distributors with prices starting at $13.99.  Note: the following reviews are for the 2018 vintage. 

93 James Suckling: Freshly-picked blackcurrants, tile, clay, citrus rind, nutmeg and rosemary. Full body, very refined yet also very generous in terms of grainy tannins and darker fruit. Long and chewy on the finish. One of the great values in cabernet. Drink now or hold.

90 Tim Atkin:  Combining fruit from Puente Alto and Pirque, this textbook Maipo Cabernet contains a little Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot for good measure. Modern, perfumed and well structured with chalky tannins and fine cassis and black cherry fruit. 2018-24. Alcohol: 13.4%

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone. An interesting collection of days. Bad poetry is not my thing.

@mr.boston, I’m so sorry for the loss of your SIL. Prayers for your family.

Roy, happy you had a good night’s sleep and you feel better.

We expect rain here today and tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich, always look forward to it.  I think that I could write excellent bad poetry.  Seems a little late to be celebrating daffodils, they’re long gone from here.  Pinot Noir, sure, why not.  A bittersweet day here, we lost our dear SIL Marcie yesterday afternoon to her battle with cancer and will be attending shiva this evening and today is my 60th birthday.  Life is funny sometimes.  Today’s quote is very inspirational and the meal suggestion sounds great.  I think that I may have had today’s drink before.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event 

Marcie is at peace. I will light a candle in her remembrance. Blessed Birthday to you.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone from a very warm and sunny day at the beach

Love daffodils but they do not grow here. We see them in pots at the store at Easter. Not a big poetry fan.  Was scheduled to go to todays port on our cancelled S America trip. Back on the list!

@Mr. Boston Very sorry to hear of your SIL passing. Sending warm thoughts and prayers to your family.  Not a great way to celebrate your 60th, but best wishes to you.

Our Care List is too long. There are so many families that are suffering right now. We keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Be safe and enjoy today

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!  What a beautiful morning here.  The sunshine helps to lift the mood after all the depressing news.  

@Mr. BostonI am so sorry to hear about your DSIL Marcie.  And especially on your birthday.  These sad occasions happen on special dates in my family all the time.  Makes it very bittersweet.

@rafinmdit's good to hear you got some sleep last night and feel somewhat better.  Please do show some photos of our port today.  I have not been to that particular place.  The South American cruises generally try to stop in Montevideo, and that is where we've been, over and over.  Thanks again to @tjcox9for your photos today.  Did you stay in town and walk around the city?

@cat shepardI surely hope you are rid of your cast today.  You will appreciate your freedom so much now that you've experienced being "tied down" like that.  

Prayers for all on the lengthy Care list and cheers for our happy celebrants.  The menu suggestion looks good, but we don't have an Instant Pot.  Yet.  I see there are a lot of recipes on that site Debbie showed us.  Good luck with finding the new lawn service company Debbie.  You seem to be on top of things at your house so I know you'll get that done promptly!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich, always look forward to it.  I think that I could write excellent bad poetry.  Seems a little late to be celebrating daffodils, they’re long gone from here.  Pinot Noir, sure, why not.  A bittersweet day here, we lost our dear SIL Marcie yesterday afternoon to her battle with cancer and will be attending shiva this evening and today is my 60th birthday.  Life is funny sometimes.  Today’s quote is very inspirational and the meal suggestion sounds great.  I think that I may have had today’s drink before.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.🥳

So sorry to hear of the passing of Marcie your dear SIL.

Condolences to all the family and friends.

Happy 60th birthday to you Mr Boston.

Graham

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rich, thank you for our Daily. Roy I hope you are feeling better this morning. Thank you for bucking up and writing the prayers and cheers.

Rich I knew you had a formula for writing the Daily. Do you still post when you are on holiday? Like cruising?

Bad poetry: Ann I hope the cast goes away today, I pray.

"The second was some rather bad poetry, but it was short, and I forced my way through by gritting my teeth and occasionally closing one eye so as not to damage the entirety of my brain"

image.png.0b1ec308b20b11ac8e44abe0819285fe.png

Looks like we got a bit of rain during the night. More due today. I have a full house of students for Mahjongg this afternoon. Allen isn't ready to decide on dinner but I have an idea he would love his southern fix..

Prayers for all and will raise a glass to our celebration list. Blessings to all.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You will find daffodils on most deer resistant flower lists. We found that the way deer know they don't like daffodils is: every year the newborn fawns will try them and then spit them out. A great learning experience for the deer but not so good for the daffodils because next year's daffodils will fall prey to next year's fawns.

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

A bittersweet day here, we lost our dear SIL Marcie yesterday afternoon to her battle with cancer and will be attending shiva this evening and today is my 60th birthday.

It is indeed bittersweet. Please accpt our condolences for your SIL and try to enjoy your birthday.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning. Thank you Rich and Roy for the daily and the lists.It sounds like you are doing better this morning, Roy. Hopefully you will be able to take nourishment.

Most people who write good poetry started off writing bad poety. Experience and persistence make the difference.

It's been a long time since I had a Brandy Alexander. I remember them as tasting like a chocolate milk shake. I love pot roast. The recipe today sounds like a good one.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 16

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I like daffodils, but they have such a short shelf life - they are a lovely sign of spring, though.  Yay for Pinot Noir!  I'm quite good at bad poetry:

Roses are red

Grass is green

Cats rule

I need coffee

First of all, let me add my sincere condolences to @Mr. Bostonon the passing of your SIL; I do hope she had a peaceful transition.  It's hard to celebrate a birthday when you're grieving, but know we're here to help you do both.

@cat shepard hurray for the last day of your "zombie leg"!

It rained last night - there are puddles all over the street - yay!!!  The sky is still grey, but it isn't the brownish-grey, filled with smoke as it has been for the past few days. Last night the air was very smoky to the point where we couldn't even sit outside for long.  It looks like we could have a sprinkle or two before it clears up later in the day.  Although it's too late to help farmers, any rain is welcome at this stage, just to provide a bit of moisture for trees and grass.

A quiet day here on the "frozen tundra" with the usual household chores going on; DH has a gig this afternoon, so will be off with his band entertaining folks for a few hours.  I might take that opportunity to give the deck a thorough cleaning, moving furniture around and getting the dust and dirt out of the corners, etc.  It's always easier when I can do it alone.  LOL

I like today's menu suggestion, but will leave it for a cooler day - I've got some cooked salmon that I'm going to mix up with some mayo, onion and chopped dill pickles to make open face toasted salmon sandwiches  and coleslaw for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the Pinot Noir tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate! 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Today is pack up and go to Sea Tac and fly home. If all goes well we will be home by 11:00 PM Central.

It has been a wonderful get away after two years of lockdown. We have been very diligent in wearing our mask indoors and when using public transportation. It will be nice being home and mask free when not out and about.

Yesterday’s tour of Mount Raineer National Park was beautiful though the overcast skies, fog and mist did not allow views of the mountain.

Thanks for the Daily and Contributions.

• Like 29

Good morning all!

This is the calm before the storm, we'll have a full house tonight and tomorrow.  Can't wait to see our DS, it has been 20 months.

I write terrible poetry, so I guess Bad Poetry Day is my day 😉  Love daffodils, especially different varieties and colors.  Don't care for Pinot Noir, I'm a white wine gal.  I agree with Dean Koontz, and the meal sounds delicious (I'd have to do it in the crockpot as I don't have an insta pot) But tonight will be steaks on the bbq. Have never been to the port of the day, thank you for any and all photos.

@Mr. Boston I want to add my condolences on the passing of your SIL Marcie.  A bittersweet birthday for you, but I do hope you can enjoy the day.

@rafinmdso good to hear that you had a restful sleep and are doing better today.

@Norseh2oprayers for the safety of your nephew.

Since I have no photos of the port, here's a photo of some of my daffodils from last spring.

1167891424_Daffodilsinpots.thumb.jpg.6e2e7c94ec47cc077eb27f0b5aa839e1.jpg

• Like 28

6 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Yesterday’s tour of Mount Raineer National Park was beautiful though the overcast skies, fog and mist did not allow views of the mountain.

Safe trip home, Bruce.  I'm sorry the weather didn't cooperate for better views of the mountain.  I'm afraid you missed those days by a week when we had so many days of cloudless days this summer.  

• Like 12

Good moring from a cloudy and humid central Texas.  Since yesterday afternoon, we have gotten 1/2 inch of rain with more to come this afternoon and maybe into tomorrow.  Usually, we don't get rain after June until late fall.  We appreciate the rain here, but wish some would fall on the western US and Canada.

I'm not a poetry person, good or bad, but what I what tried to write was in the latter category.  Daffodils are one of my favorite spring flowers.  When we first moved here, I planted quite a few daffodil bulbs, but they did not do well except one.  It still comes up every years, but before we get back from Arizona, so I miss the flower(s).  I have a cardbordeaux pinot noir than I'm working on and two more in reserve.

Dean Knootz's quote is very good.  DH found his talent, and for the 32 years he had his software company, he said since he loved what he did, it was not work.

We'll pass on the meal, but I may try the drink the next time I'm on a BHB.  The wine sounds nice.

We have not been to today's port, but like many have sailed by it on the way to Montevideo.

@Mr. Boston  Our condolences to you and your family on the death of your DSIL, Marcie.  Best wishes for your 60th birthday.

@tjcox9  Thank you for the pictures of today's port.  Hope to get there someday.

@aliaschief  Bruce, safe travels home.

@rafinmd  Roy, glad you got a good night's sleep, and remember the worst is behind you.

@smitty34877  Terry, sending good thoughts that your nephew remains safe and does not have to go to Afghanistan.

@dfish  Debbie, good luck finidng a new landscaper.

@cat shepard  Hoping today is the last full day of zombie leg.  It is amazing what one finds in the freezer.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!

I’m pretty sure all the poetry I ever wrote was really bad. Love daffodils, will celebrate them even out of season. Yes, yes, to a good Pinot Noir. 🍷

Haven’t been to Uruguay, or much of South America to my regret. Pictures will have to suffice.

The pot roast sounds good. I have avoided buying an Instant Pot; I think I have enough small appliances already. Three cheers for a Chilean Red wine! I have always thought of a Brandy Alexander as a sophisticated kind of drink. 

I have some good news from my liver transplant friend! This is from his wife: “the doctors say he is doing much better. He is well over the worst of Covid with just a lingering cough. It is quite a testament to both the power of prayer and that vaccine he got! They believe the vaccine enabled him to weather the crazy new variant despite the immunosuppressant drugs he is on. He may get out of isolation this weekend!” Thanks to all of you who have joined in prayers. Prayer is indeed a powerful medicine. And hallelujah for the vaccine!

Continued prayers for all on our care list. 🙏. And raising a glass to celebrate the good times (while trying not to be jealous of those cruisers in Sitka today 😁) 🍷

St Louis Sal

• Like 27

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is Bad Poetry Day, World Daffodil Day, and Pinot Noir Day

I really believe that everyone has a talent, ability, or skill that he can mine to support himself and to succeed in life. -- Dean Koontz

Meal suggestion for today - Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast

Drink of the Day - Brandy Alexander

Wine of the day - Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon - Chile - Red

Destination of the Day - Punta del Este Uruguay
<snip>

Thank you for the Daily! Looking forward to everyone's postings today. But I had to jump in and say that my wonderful Mom's favorite drink was a Brandy Alexander. She'd have one per year, on her birthday. I tried to start having them on her birthday after she passed, but they're kinda vile. HOWEVER, I learned that if you use ice cream in the drink, it's mighty tasty. So this coming September 18th, I'll likely have a Brandy Alexander, with ice cream, for Mom. She's been gone since 1987, and I'm older now than she was when she passed. I still miss her every day.

On a somewhat brighter note, we went to the Health District today for our covid test, pre-cruise. The nurse said "results in 72 hours." Quick and easy, then home. To find an email from the Health District thanking us for testing and also saying "because of the backlog of tests, your results may not be available for 7 days." So we're NOT canceling the rapid-antigen test we have scheduled for this afternoon. A wait of 72 hours would put us in the cruise terminal waiting for our results, but SEVEN days? Wow.

Sending best wishes to all, hoping for a good news day today.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

I’m pretty sure all the poetry I ever wrote was really bad. Love daffodils, will celebrate them even out of season. Yes, yes, to a good Pinot Noir. 🍷

Haven’t been to Uruguay, or much of South America to my regret. Pictures will have to suffice.

The pot roast sounds good. I have avoided buying an Instant Pot; I think I have enough small appliances already. Three cheers for a Chilean Red wine! I have always thought of a Brandy Alexander as a sophisticated kind of drink. 

I have some good news from my liver transplant friend! This is from his wife: “the doctors say he is doing much better. He is well over the worst of Covid with just a lingering cough. It is quite a testament to both the power of prayer and that vaccine he got! They believe the vaccine enabled him to weather the crazy new variant despite the immunosuppressant drugs he is on. He may get out of isolation this weekend!” Thanks to all of you who have joined in prayers. Prayer is indeed a powerful medicine. And hallelujah for the vaccine!

Continued prayers for all on our care list. 🙏. And raising a glass to celebrate the good times (while trying not to be jealous of those cruisers in Sitka today 😁) 🍷

St Louis Sal

That  is  just  great  news  about  your  friend! 2  powerful  medicines  : prayer  and vaccines

• Like 13