Another cruise bites the dust

nbsjcruiser

Sadly, we decided to cancel our third Princess cruise this morning. This is not a rant on cruise lines or government leaders - just a realistic decision based on the realities of the situation.

We had two cruises booked for the fall that we cancelled earlier this year and now our British Isles for spring 2022 has been yanked. Between changing vaccine and testing requirements and uncertain government regulations and border controls, there's just way too much up in the air. We still have a 10 day planned for 2023 that I think might be the first cruise we actually go on but I just can't see laying out the thousands of dollars that it will take to fly and cruise out of England and all the while chewing my fingernails hoping that some rule or regulation or last minute variant doesn't derail everything at the last minute. Maybe by next year things will be looking up and we can go last minute but at this point any prediction I make on where I think we'll be in a few months is something between wishful thinking and hopeless optimism. I'll just wait and see now and hope that Princess can somehow survive this turmoil. 

• Like 5

I was absolutely confident about our Fall 2020 cruise when the pandemic first hit.  It was still 8 months away - come on, the thing will run its course like any flu bug and be in the rear view mirror by then.

Then, when that got cancelled, it was a sure thing for Jan 2021 and we made our bookings.  Of course we will be back up and running like old times by then.  That notion quickly evaporated.  Hmm, this will take a bit longer, so we planned for Nov 2021 - certainly we would be in the clear by then.  Hmm... not looking great.  Some of our plans have collapsed, others are on shaky ground.  And we also have bookings for Nov 2022 that there was NO WAY Covid would interfere with - how could it still be a thing after a successful vaccine roll out?  Sigh.....

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

I was absolutely confident about our Fall 2020 cruise when the pandemic first hit.  It was still 8 months away - come on, the thing will run its course like any flu bug and be in the rear view mirror by then.

Then, when that got cancelled, it was a sure thing for Jan 2021 and we made our bookings.  Of course we will be back up and running like old times by then.  That notion quickly evaporated.  Hmm, this will take a bit longer, so we planned for Nov 2021 - certainly we would be in the clear by then.  Hmm... not looking great.  Some of our plans have collapsed, others are on shaky ground.  And we also have bookings for Nov 2022 that there was NO WAY Covid would interfere with - how could it still be a thing after a successful vaccine roll out?  Sigh.....

You outlined our feelings exactly.

• Like 1

We just cancelled our Dec. 5-15, 2021 cruise.  I don't want to worry that I will miss even part of a cruise quarantined in my stateroom.

Princess actually upgraded me yesterday to a stateroom (also accessible)  right across the ship (from Port to Starboard)  They also offered me Premier Beverage Pkg. Gratuities and Wi-Fi.

I asked why they needed to move me and they said that they were blocking off a section for quarantine.  I thought you would just be "sent to your room" but I guess they want to keep those quarantined in a special area which would be easier to handle than running all over the ship.

Boo Ho, we really wanted to cruise again, but not under these circumstances. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm lucky that I don't book cruises way in advance. I did not have to cancel any. I booked my upcoming cruise on the Majestic Princess last month. I leave Sunday. Princess announced the new Covid restrictions a couple of weeks after I booked my cruise. Right now, I'm glad I did not cancel. My Covid test came back negative yesterday, so I'm all set to go. 

If things work out on this cruise, I'll be looking at booking something for early December. I don't think I'll be ready to book anything that leaves from a foreign port.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

British Isles cruises are in my  opinion going to be among the safest cruises one could sail currently because the ports of call will be in the UK.  People who are fully vaccinated and are US or EU citizens can enter the the UK from Amber List Countries without having to quarantine from 2 August 2021.  72% of UK adults have had two vaccinations and vaccinations are still being offered free of charge and  younger people are now being offered them too.  Princess have introduced testing at the pier prior to boarding at the cruise lines expense in addition they are checking vaccination certificates and the existence of travel insurance.

Anyone refused boarding will receive a full refund according to the information I have been give for my cruise.  The flights are the only issue I can see as problematic. 

Regards John.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

You outlined our feelings exactly.

We thought the same way too !

Just cancelled for April, just too many variables. 

We still have Cruises booked in Europe for Oct 2022, figured some kind of normalcy should be in place by then plus have to use up our FCC by year end !

Optimistically keeping fingers crossed its a go 🤞

Edited by 3JCruiser
  • Like 1

Waiting until final payment to decide on this. Have one cruise booked for end of March 2022, from Southampton 
Will not cruise if these or similar restrictions are in place for that cruise. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, john watson said:

British Isles cruises are in my  opinion going to be among the safest cruises one could sail currently because the ports of call will be in the UK.  People who are fully vaccinated and are US or EU citizens can enter the the UK from Amber List Countries without having to quarantine from 2 August 2021.  72% of UK adults have had two vaccinations and vaccinations are still being offered free of charge and  younger people are now being offered them too.  Princess have introduced testing at the pier prior to boarding at the cruise lines expense in addition they are checking vaccination certificates and the existence of travel insurance.

Anyone refused boarding will receive a full refund according to the information I have been give for my cruise.  The flights are the only issue I can see as problematic. 

Regards John.

Good points but someone a lot smarter than me is going to have to explain why the UK is still insisting that Canadians be forced to a 14 day quarantine when visiting the UK. 82%, yes, 82% of the eligible Canadian population has been vaccinated. The US is at roughly 50% and is on fire with Covid, again. This is what I referred to in my original post when I mentioned uncertain government regulations. This makes absolutely no sense at all and I'd be lying if I didn't admit it played a part in why I cancelled a British Isles cruise. As you rightfully pointed out, the UK is among the highest vaccinated peoples in the world and in truth it was one of the reasons why we booked that cruise. We thought it would be one of the safer places to take a cruise and we also wanted to see something of the place where our ancestors came from. But when BoJo came up with this, I had to ask - what else might he do next year? Might I make final payment, book hotels, very expensive air fare only to have him to something equally as dumb next year? So instead we'll sit and wait. If things clear up next year, maybe we'll book last minute, maybe we wont. In fact, like @geoherb  I can see last minute cruises as being the safest way to do it now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Good points but someone a lot smarter than me is going to have to explain why the UK is still insisting that Canadians be forced to a 14 day quarantine when visiting the UK. 82%, yes, 82% of the eligible Canadian population has been vaccinated. The US is at roughly 50% and is on fire with Covid, again. This is what I referred to in my original post when I mentioned uncertain government regulations. This makes absolutely no sense at all and I'd be lying if I didn't admit it played a part in why I cancelled a British Isles cruise. As you rightfully pointed out, the UK is among the highest vaccinated peoples in the world and in truth it was one of the reasons why we booked that cruise. We thought it would be one of the safer places to take a cruise and we also wanted to see something of the place where our ancestors came from. But when BoJo came up with this, I had to ask - what else might he do next year? Might I make final payment, book hotels, very expensive air fare only to have him to something equally as dumb next year? So instead we'll sit and wait. If things clear up next year, maybe we'll book last minute, maybe we wont. In fact, like @geoherb  I can see last minute cruises as being the safest way to do it now. 

I agree with you 100%.   The UK also recently stated they do not recognize mixed vaccines.  Not sure if that played into the decision.  I am waiting until next week to see whether Canada will be added to the UK green list.  However, with the numbers now going up in Canada, I can not see it happening....

After the general uncertainty after a trip to Cabo, our family has thrown in the towel for international travel through 2022.  As many have mentioned there is just too much uncertainty regarding protocols, regulations, changes.  I am optimistic that as time goes on, more are vaccinated/recovered, and more data comes in, sanity and reasonableness will prevail and this whole mess is behind us.  Too many places to see still.

• Like 1

We are booked on Nov 5th Transatlantic from Southampton to Ft.Lauderdale.  Hoping it will sail!

As it stands today---Test before boarding flight

Test at pier ( Princess's expense)

Issues-----If staying in UK for more than 1 day need a test ( pre-booked and pre-paid before leaving US)

The test will not even arrive before you leave the country but you have to book and pay anyway to be allowed into the country.to get to the ship. Hoping that will be dropped before Nov but with the increase in Covid cases I do not see that happening.

Princess has not yet announced if they will perform the 3 day before arrival test onboard before arriving in US.

CDC has announced a 14 day mandatory layover between cruises that have been in International waters.--That may end on Oct 31st but may be extended.

All in all it is very daunting at the moment!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, john watson said:

British Isles cruises are in my  opinion going to be among the safest cruises  in addition they are checking vaccination certificates and the existence of travel insurance.

Not completely true John, I have just come off the Regal Princess but when we were getting on after the covid test where I showed my NHS proof of being vaccinated.... they then forgot to check travel insurance ( which I had ) and they never asked us to fill in a health questionnaire. That may be because I don't have a smart phone.

11 hours ago, dog said:

Waiting until final payment to decide on this. Have one cruise booked for end of March 2022, from Southampton 
Will not cruise if these or similar restrictions are in place for that cruise. 

And adding to this—- cost of testing in some countries is outrageous. 

3 hours ago, dog said:

And adding to this—- cost of testing in some countries is outrageous. 

Canada and USA are Amber listed on the UK government website.  So the requirements are reasonable for double vaccinated passengers. Princess are doing free tests quayside and my friend had a PCR test for £15.

Regards Keith

23 hours ago, john watson said:

Canada and USA are Amber listed on the UK government website.  So the requirements are reasonable for double vaccinated passengers. Princess are doing free tests quayside and my friend had a PCR test for £15.

Regards Keith

Thanks for the info but unless something has changed, Canadians are restricted from travelling to the UK unless they quarantine for 14 days. I get it that that is separate from Princess and whatever Princess is doing at dockside might be reasonable. Again, unless something has changed from a government pov, what the UK is doing makes no sense and is only making life for cruise lines unnecessarily difficult.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

On 8/20/2021 at 12:32 PM, CRUISEWITHH said:

We just cancelled our Dec. 5-15, 2021 cruise.  I don't want to worry that I will miss even part of a cruise quarantined in my stateroom.

Princess actually upgraded me yesterday to a stateroom (also accessible)  right across the ship (from Port to Starboard)  They also offered me Premier Beverage Pkg. Gratuities and Wi-Fi.

I asked why they needed to move me and they said that they were blocking off a section for quarantine.  I thought you would just be "sent to your room" but I guess they want to keep those quarantined in a special area which would be easier to handle than running all over the ship.

Boo Ho, we really wanted to cruise again, but not under these circumstances. 

I sailed July 25th on the Majestic and was part of the CC group that had the private meeting with Jan Swartz. She explained that anyone who tested positive was quarantined in special cabins (mini suites on dolphin deck on our ship) as they had been outfitted with a negative pressure air flow and have hospital grade HEPA filters. Those are very nice cabins and it makes sense that they would need special equipment. 
If you always use a kn or n 95 in public and isolate before and after your precruise test you should have no issues keeping covid free.  Your cruise will not be interrupted by a rare case that may sneak on board. 

I think a Princess cruise is the safest place to be. It’s the only place I know everyone’s vaccination status and where everyone recently had a negative test. The cruise lines that allow under 12’s are just not safe. 

I’m sailing 5 to 15 days every month starting in October. 

@Mud_Sharkyour premise that the US had a successful vaccine roll out unfortunately is not true. We still have been unsuccessful in getting enough people to get over their misinformation regarding the vaccines. Also Israel data shows us that boosters are required especially in those 50 and older. We will have to see if the Americans who got two shots will be willing to get a third as needed. We, as a nation, could be worse off in another few months if they don’t. 

All that said, I’m taking land trips and ocean cruises with extra precautions/upgraded masking, testing, & getting  a booster when it’s time. I’ve accepted that this IS my normal. I’m done waiting for a world that doesn’t exist anymore to return. I’m going wherever I’m allowed in. It’s been great, I’m getting these wonderful experiences without any of the crowds. 

• Like 4

On 8/21/2021 at 6:06 AM, nbsjcruiser said:

Canadians no longer harve to Quarantine in UK - just test now, same as American residents.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Good to know - thanks. 

This exemption only relates to people who have had two vaccinations.   However if people have not have had two vaccinations they are not acceptable to Princess to board unless they are children where slightly different rules apply boarding in the UK.  There is a UK government website that lists all countries of the world with links to those nations and their requirements for disembarkation as at ports.  Sometimes the rules vary for short stay and transit passengers. This latter issue is in my opinion what people should look closely into when choosing a cruise.

Regards John

6 hours ago, john watson said:

This exemption only relates to people who have had two vaccinations.   However if people have not have had two vaccinations they are not acceptable to Princess to board unless they are children where slightly different rules apply boarding in the UK.  There is a UK government website that lists all countries of the world with links to those nations and their requirements for disembarkation as at ports.  Sometimes the rules vary for short stay and transit passengers. This latter issue is in my opinion what people should look closely into when choosing a cruise.

Regards John

Being double vaxed goes without saying. IMHO.