Extra charges for airlines

Fun4Us2013

Is it normal for airlines to charge for selecting your seats. BA said you have to pay if you want to select your seating any earlier than 24 hours of your flight. I know you have to pay extra for any kind of upgrade but regular seats? If you wait till 24 hours you might not be able to seat together or be stuck in the back row, etc.

Yes.  It's normal.  Depends on your fare class.  For the cheapest fair class, they reduce the price and remove things such selecting the seat or the number of bags you can check.

Edited by gud2seau
  • Like 2

It is NOT normal for airlines to charge for selection of seating !

That noted - - -

When NCL or other cruise line provides you with your flight information

you can go online to that airline site and select from the remaining

available seats in the class of service booked.

BA - British Airways ?

YES upgrades there is a charge for the fare difference payable by credit card

or if an affinity loyalty program using miles.

Generally front to back on all airlines are -

First class

Business class

Comfort* class

Coach

Economy class***

* A premium class varies by airline

*** Some airlines do not allow seat selection in this area

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depends on the airline.

With BA, unless you have status with them you have to pay for everything. We're flying business class from JFK to Athens and if we want to pick seats now it's several hundred dollars extra on top of the thousands we've already given them. No thank you.

If we can't sit together, it will be fine. I plan on using those lie flat seats and napping anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Actually, it can be - depending on the airline.

Air Canada would only allow me to select seats more than 24 hours in advance if I paid.  I could wait until the 24-hour mark to select for free, but then would be stuck with whatever is left.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

That noted - - -

When NCL or other cruise line provides you with your flight information

you can go online to that airline site and select from the remaining

available seats in the class of service booked.

BA - British Airways ?

YES upgrades there is a charge for the fare difference payable by credit card

or if an affinity loyalty program using miles.

Generally front to back on all airlines are -

First class

Business class

Comfort* class

Coach

Economy class***

* A premium class varies by airline

*** Some airlines do not allow seat selection in this area

It sure is normal for airlines to charge for seats nowadays, especially with a consolidator airfare like NCL probably uses. Usually the only ones that you don't pay for are middle ones.

Not sure what your difference in Coach and Economy is, they are the same thing.

• Like 2

Basic Economy you have to pay for seats.  Get Main Cabin if you want to pick your seats.  (Delta)  Most airlines now have several classes.  The cheapest class will make you pay for pretty much everything and no changes allowed.

• Like 1

I'm quite used to paying for my seat, my luggage bag, and any on board extras I may want to have.  For me, it's been this way for years.  

The 1 and only time I booked the promo airfare through NCL, I got the economy class ticket, I called the airline and paid to choose my seat and my checked baggage. 

I guess I've travelled enough that, it's just become common practice for me.  I do know that Southwest offers (1) bag free but the flights don't always meet my needs so, I take what works best for me. 

When I worked, my nickname was Ms Flexibility.  LOL

27 minutes ago, udivegirl said:

Basic Economy you have to pay for seats.  Get Main Cabin if you want to pick your seats.  (Delta)  Most airlines now have several classes.  The cheapest class will make you pay for pretty much everything and no changes allowed.

When I flew Delta on a ticket bought by NCL using the Free-At-Sea perk at the time I was absolutely able to select my seat at no extra charge, several weeks before the cruise (as soon as I had my confirmation number from NCL).  Maybe Delta's policies have changed since 2019?

• Like 1

Yes, it's normal - has been for about a decade now.

Airlines realise that many consumers only look at the ticket price, so that's where they compete.  They've largely been removing privileges that used to be included in their lowest fares to become extras - this helps keep their lowest fares lower, which is what (despite consumers saying they want inclusive pricing in surveys) actually draws consumers to buy those fares.

Likewise, the cruise lines are going to be buying the least expensive fares - that's why they can offer prices as low as they do for airfare.  Ultimately, you get what you pay for.

But really, choosing your seats in advance or choosing them 24-48 hours ahead of time doesn't make THAT much difference - you're still on the same flight, and they're still going to try to seat your party together.  If a specific seat is important to you, you can always pay for it.

"Normal" depends on the whether it's domestic in the US or elsewhere, or international - complicated further by whether you flight is all on one airline, alliance/partner airlines within (usually) the network, or non-interline airlines with no agreements, and applicable governing rules of the "primary" carrier.  

Domestic (US) - airlines like Jetblue has a basic, no-frills, economy fare that's lowest - with max restrictions, only a single cabin bag (not even a "regulation-sized" 22" carry-on) and no advance seat assignment, and mileage/points award reduced to like 25%; then there is the next economy tier where you can chose your seat but ... and, then, the "unrestricted" full fare economy.  Business/premium economy and/or First Class/lie flat seats on selected routes/flight configuration also have sub-category, including Zone 1 for early boarding, priority, two "free" checked bags with extra weight allowance & bonus points, etc. etc.  

Transatlantic and transpacific, long-haul flights on other major international carriers have adopted and have in place, years ago, sub-categories and added the no-frills, almost standby option with a carry-on bag and the goal being to race to the gate/check-in counter early & get on the waitlist for this and that - eventually getting you to your final destination, maybe via point C and D, instead of connecting via point B and only chance of a non-stop going in the opposite direction only (holiday, school breaks, etc.) and where no FF miles, points or even discounted "awards" are given; nor, the cheapest coach/economy fare permit using miles/points to upgrade into premium economy.  It's mad crazy with global competition, government de/regulations and low fares carriers - flown like cargo on a charter flight.

Given how narrow and slim (pitch/recline) seats have become (shrink) in the last 25 years - it's not worth fighting for getting one's preferred aisle or window assignment, as the bulkhead ones are always blocked/reserved & the exit rows designated for the premium FF full-fare passengers, etc. 

Sidenote: on most B777 wide-bodies that we prefer to fly long haul, when the choice/option is the "main" cabin - we prefer the last row, actually ... with its 2x2 option, nobody else in the middle and on less than full flights - get to stretch all around.  Downside, last to deplane but usually, the checked bag is offloaded and out by then.  On a stretched older B757 or B737, that's a different story but regardless, the newest toilet closet design is quite something for some to squeeze into/out of.  

3 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

But really, choosing your seats in advance or choosing them 24-48 hours ahead of time doesn't make THAT much difference - you're still on the same flight, and they're still going to try to seat your party together. 

They can't seat your party together if all that is left are single middle seats.

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

Our airport is a big United hub, the cheapest flights are basic economy, you pay to choose a seat, checks bags, and carry-ons aren’t allowed, just one personal item.

Which brings to mind - NCL must not be booking 'basic economy' as people flying to a cruise can't possibly be expected to have nothing more than a personal item.  People flying for a week-long vacation HAVE to be allowed to check a bag, or at least have a full-size carry-on...

• Haha 1

I believe it is economy and you will pay extra for bags Etc I looked at our booking they quoted 1600 for air in the all included price, BOGO ,so I checked flights found one for 800 that would be the one !!

Because nothing is Free ! its included LOL 

14 hours ago, Fun4Us2013 said:

Is it normal for airlines to charge for selecting your seats. BA said you have to pay if you want to select your seating any earlier than 24 hours of your flight. I know you have to pay extra for any kind of upgrade but regular seats? If you wait till 24 hours you might not be able to seat together or be stuck in the back row, etc.

Yes, it is normal if you are buying the cheapest fares (BA Economy Basic). 

The worst case scenario with not paying for a seat is that many flights today are oversold (maybe less so on large international flights). If you don't have a seat, you are a candidate for being bumped from the flight if everyone shows up and no one volunteers to give up their seat. (Pre-pandemic, we have been offered over $1000 to give up our seats on oversold London flights.)

Edited by BirdTravels

11 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I guess I've travelled enough that, it's just become common practice for me.  I do know that Southwest offers (1) bag free but the flights don't always meet my needs so, I take what works best for me. 

For clarity: SW allows 2 free checked bags and their carry on is also free. However, seats are not assigned before boarding. You can pay for 'early bird' check in (fare varies depending on flight but is typically between $15-$30) which will board you first, but once passengers are physically on the plane you just pick a seat. There are no classes. SW also has exceptional cancellation policies and has been a great stock to own. It's a great airline company imo with Delta a close second.

14 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

As others have mentioned, this is wildly inaccurate. More and more airlines are using their lowest level fare in which guests pay to select seats. It used to be just charter companies but now some of the big players have taken on the practice (Delta for example).

As others have mentioned, the game changes with international flights. It's important to research the rules of any fare prior because they tremendously. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

carry-ons aren’t allowed

I've never heard of an airline that doesn't allow a single carry-on plus a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you.  I am aware of one that charges for the carry-on.  Which airline allows no carry-ons?  What do they put in the overhead compartments?  Peanuts?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've never heard of an airline that doesn't allow a single carry-on plus a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you.  I am aware of one that charges for the carry-on.  Which airline allows no carry-ons?  What do they put in the overhead compartments?  Peanuts?

If you buy a basic economy ticket on United (maybe other airlines as well, not sure), you cannot use the overhead compartments, you are allowed a small bag that can fit under the seat. Any larger bag has to be checked and paid for (I think it is $30 for a checked bag).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

choosing your seats in advance or choosing them 24-48 hours ahead of time doesn't make THAT much difference - you're still on the same flight, and they're still going to try to seat your party together.

Unless you are flying Ryanair. If you choose not to pay to select your seats, your party WILL be seated separately, usually in middle seats at opposite ends of the cabin. 

19 minutes ago, jaapie said:

If you buy a basic economy ticket on United (maybe other airlines as well, not sure), you cannot use the overhead compartments, you are allowed a small bag that can fit under the seat. Any larger bag has to be checked and paid for (I think it is $30 for a checked bag).

Thanks.  I didn't know that.  I did check their website and it appears that if you obtain their crappy credit card you are promoted to one free carry-on bag.  I hate flying.  It's pretty much Southwest for me or I choose a different destination that SW flies to.  Fortunately, they're expanding their non-stops to Honolulu, so most of my preferred domestic cruise destinations are covered.  😎