LIVE Geoherb's Solo Cruise on Majestic Princess, August 22, 2021

geoherb

My day in Skagway was nice. It drizzled a bit but not all the time. I'm glad I had my umbrella. I walked the trail to Yakutania Point. There's a pedestrian bridge across the river at the airport. It's a very easy trail without much change in elevation. Here's a photo of the ship from the point.

After my little hike, I walked through town and settled on having a beer at the Skagway Brewing Company. The couple with whom I ate lunch the first day were also drinking at the bar there. It was nice to catch up with what they've done so far on the cruise. I enjoyed a flight of four beers plus a small fifth one (Spruce Tip Blond, Chilkoot Trail IPA, Blue Top Porter, Hazy IPA, and Solstice IPA) and bought a discounted T-shirt in the gift store. The amazing thing was that it added up to exactly the amount of cash I brought with me off the ship, including the three quarters I found in my backpack.

I walked back to the ship with another new friend, stopping in some of the stores along the way. He was looking for something for his 4-year-old niece and settled on some small stuffed animals--a wolf and a bear. I was back in time for afternoon trivia. My teammates also made it back. We missed one and won wine stoppers. I'm now heading up to the evening cocktail event. The exciting news is that I found an invitation to the winemakers dinner in my cabin. It will be Friday night. There was also an invitation for the Captain's Circle party tomorrow night. I have the 5:00 timeslot. 

20210825_125552.jpg

20210825_133901.jpg

20210825_143245.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

After my little hike, I walked through town and settled on having a beer at the Skagway Brewing Company. The couple with whom I ate lunch the first day were also drinking at the bar there. It was nice to catch up with what they've done so far on the cruise. I enjoyed a flight of four beers plus a small fifth one (Spruce Tip Blond, Chilkoot Trail IPA, Blue Top Porter, Hazy IPA, and Solstice IPA) and bought a discounted T-shirt in the gift store. The amazing thing was that it added up to exactly the amount of cash I brought with me off the ship, including the three quarters I found in my backpack.

20210825_133901.jpg

20210825_143245.jpg

I'm not much of a beer drinker but I have to say that their Helle's Lager was really good.  I love that place!  Good to see you stopping at the local establishments.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

The minibar can still be traded. Just call room service & ignore what a 1800Princess said. 

I'm going to add this for those who stayed on (I know there are a few but don't know if they are on CC)::

I closed out my account the previous night. The next morning I was able to order 3 lattes. So apparently even though I closed out my account, my coffee program did not close out at the same time period what I'd like to know from my December cruise is this::

can the coffee package roll over on a B2B? 

Thanks for the confirmation. I can say without a doubt my coffees have always carried over on B2Bs in the past. We often did 3 or 4 b2bs and always traded mini bars. Hubs occasionally got a specialty tea so I had 30 coffees/wk and they piled up. The guys at the IC would look at me and ask why I had 53 coffees!  🤣. They added the new ones each week but left the old ones. Of course I can’t confirm post-covid but I bet they do. 

• Thanks 4

21 hours ago, geoherb said:

Anyone receiving what I got tonight would wonder why I rhapsodized about how wonderful this dessert is. 

I ordered the key lime pie dessert from room service last week because I had read from someone here that it was good.  It was not actually very good.  I’m glad to see your detailed explanation and I will give it another try on my next ship.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grover_ said:

I ordered the key lime pie dessert from room service last week because I had read from someone here that it was good.  It was not actually very good.  I’m glad to see your detailed explanation and I will give it another try on my next ship.

Taste is in the eye (mouth?) of the beholder.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, geoherb said:

So far, the pastry chefs on the Majestic have struck out two out of three times with my memories of desserts on previous cruises. Only the chocolate journey dessert the other night tasted as good as I've had on previous cruises. The flourless chocolate cake and key lime pie were flops.

Have you seen any Pavlovas? Meringue nest with a filling . That’s my favorite dessert. They usually only have it once per cruise. I look for it every day. My first pavlova was when Sabatini’s had the old huge menu. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KruzPrincess said:

Have you seen any Pavlovas? Meringue nest with a filling . That’s my favorite dessert. They usually only have it once per cruise. I look for it every day. My first pavlova was when Sabatini’s had the old huge menu. 

I have not noticed any on the menu or at the International Cafe.

• Like 1

The Italian night menu has been tinkered with some since my 2019 cruises. The changes I noticed were that the salmon with caponata is now rock fish and a steak with red wine sauce has replaced the pot roast. The vegetarian main course is now a mushroom lasagna instead of a bean and vegetable stew. Additionally, the cheesecake on the always available menu became a lemon meringue cheesecake tonight. A chocolate journeys trio joined the dessert menu as well. The lemon meringue cheesecake made up for last night's disappointing key lime pie.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

GeoHerb,

Have there been any subsequent LGBT groups and if so how have they been?  I'm on Majestic in October for a Mexico cruise (solo) and while having cruised Princess for years I've never attended an LGBT group before.  I'm wondering how they are?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Westsail32 said:

GeoHerb,

Have there been any subsequent LGBT groups and if so how have they been?  I'm on Majestic in October for a Mexico cruise (solo) and while having cruised Princess for years I've never attended an LGBT group before.  I'm wondering how they are?

Its first time I ever hear about something like that. Are you trying to say that there a specialized clubs of LGBT community on board? And what does it do? I doubt such a thing would be possible to organize on board the ship. 

The LGBT groups have been running for many years on practically every cruise line and every ship. They are simply evening meet and greets for the LGBT community. They were previously call Friends of Dorothy meets. These meeting were originally advertised on the cruise notice board along with Friends of Bill meetings. They are now listed on the Princess Patter. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

Its first time I ever hear about something like that. Are you trying to say that there a specialized clubs of LGBT community on board? And what does it do? I doubt such a thing would be possible to organize on board the ship. 

They do the same thing you do at a meet and greet.  It's been around long time, just most didn't know who dorothy was.

6 hours ago, geoherb said:

Here's the blazing fast speed currently on the internet:

2021-08-25 Speed test.jpg

I had hope for some late night xbox gaming but that don't look like its gonna make it.  Will still see if it ever works lol. 

5 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Even lower than that. We had nothing the day we were in Glacier Bay National Park. 

After I went through the trouble of calling to pre-ordering the internet package for our upcoming Alaska cruise, these posts have me reconsidering that. Was there WIFI available at portside businesses? 

On 8/24/2021 at 11:59 PM, geoherb said:

Anyone receiving what I got tonight would wonder why I rhapsodized about how wonderful this dessert is. 

20210824_224000.jpg

Not me. This is the little bite I fell in love with no matter what its called. Lightly tart and crisp 😋

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Westsail32 said:

GeoHerb,

Yes. The large group of eight from Florida/SC hasn't shown up again, but there have been people there every night. Last night there were seven of us including a couple of women celebrating 53 years together. The meetings are very informal. On some cruises, one of the cruise director's assistants will host the first one to help people introduced themselves. The good assistant CDs will bring champagne for everyone who wants it. 

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

After I went through the trouble of calling to pre-ordering the internet package for our upcoming Alaska cruise, these posts have me reconsidering that. Was there WIFI available at portside businesses? 

I noticed some had signs advertising it. The crew must be getting better prices onboard for internet access now, because I did not see any places with a ton of crew members using their phones like I have on past cruises.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roger88 said:

It's listed in the Patter every day. There's also the singles and solos get-together every day. On my Island Princess cruises two years ago, I went to both. It's just a way to meet people with something in common. There have also been Bible studies every morning and Friends of Dr. Bob and Bill W. meetings (AA) every afternoon. Previous live threads reported that there was a meeting for veterans but just a single one and not everyday occurrence. I haven't seen the "knitters and natters" meetings advertised for this cruise like I've seen on past ones. 

Edited by geoherb