LIVE Geoherb's Solo Cruise on Majestic Princess, August 22, 2021

geoherb

Day 2 and we’re sailing north on the ocean to the west of Vancouver Island.  The sun has been shining all morning.  The sea is almost smooth, 1 - 3 ft waves, no white caps.  I asked an officer yesterday and we will go through the Inside Passage on the way south.  Can no longer see land, eve with binoculars.

Had room service breakfast.  Chose 8 - 8:30 and they were a few minutes late.  Waitress said they were very busy, which wasn’t a surprise.

The CC M&G is in 25 minutes in Hollywood Conservatory.  Looking forward to meeting everyone.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

but no guacamole and fresh chips.

You can order complimentary guacamole and chips from the room service menu. My favorite nights will be the sushi night and the shrimp night. The couples I ate breakfast with this morning were also Elites. They were sharing commiserations at the demise of some of the Elite benefits. I'm glad this one is still there.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

I had typed a lengthy post about my morning and my plans for the day. Something went wrong, and I lost it all. Now I'll be better about copying before trying to post. 

Some of the comments made it into my responses about the gym, bacon, and guacamole. 

Breakfast in the dining was very nice. I shared a table with two couples--both sort of from Kansas City, although one lives in Columbia, S.C., now. They're very nice. In the conversation about the Elite benefits, one really misses the free internet minutes. He said he waited until yesterday to purchase the package. They were going to charge him the higher rate ($14.99) a day less 50%. He talked to someone who reduced it back to $9.99 a day less 50%. The other couple has a transpacific cruise booked for 2023. They hope that Princess has the deals for longer cruises by then. Even $5 a day times 32 days adds up.

One guy mentioned the demise of the loyalty credit. Coincidentally, it turns out this cruise is the other guy's 21st. He never got to enjoy that benefit. I'm glad it lasted as long as it did. We were one of the lucky couples with unrelated Captain's Circle numbers. We both got the credit when we sailed together. My understanding is that married couples whose numbers differ only by the last letter did not. But I guess that doesn't matter anymore. 

The guy at the internet cafe was able to get my cell phone connected to the internet. I called DH using wi-fi. It worked great. I wish I had known about that when we were on our transatlantic cruise in 2019.

I'm heading up to the meet and greet now. Then it will be time for trivia, lunch in the dining room, the talk by the "Hoonah ambassador" in the theater, the Grapevine wine tasting, more trivia, the LGBT meeting, "Encore" in the theater, dinner in the dining room (first formal night), and maybe the comedian's second show in the Vista Lounge. It's either that or bedtime.

• Like 3

I am loving your "live from".  Very informative.  Let us know if there is a MT luncheon on this sailing.  I'm curious because you have a different captain than last week and I believe it is up to the captain if it will be a luncheon or a cocktail party.  

42 minutes ago, geoherb said:

You can order complimentary guacamole and chips from the room service menu. My favorite nights will be the sushi night and the shrimp night. The couples I ate breakfast with this morning were also Elites. They were sharing commiserations at the demise of some of the Elite benefits. I'm glad this one is still there.

Yay!!  Thanks for turning my frown upside down!! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

I had typed a lengthy post about my morning and my plans for the day. Something went wrong, and I lost it all. Now I'll be better about copying before trying to post. 

The guy at the internet cafe was able to get my cell phone connected to the internet. I called DH using wi-fi. It worked great. I wish I had known about that when we were on our transatlantic cruise in 2019.

@geoherb

thank you so much for this Live thread.  I’m curious about how to accomplish WiFi calling once onboard.  Is it pretty straightforward? 

thanks.   

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

@geoherb

thank you so much for this Live thread.  I’m curious about how to accomplish WiFi calling once onboard.  Is it pretty straightforward? 

thanks.   

@KLM3164 Yes. It was on the settings of my phone. I have an Android phone. I'm still amazed at how well it worked.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

We had a nice informal meeting of Cruise Critic folks. Seven of us showed up. There was a larger contingent of Facebook rollcall people there for their meeting. They kept to themselves, although some of them are also on here.

I left in time to go play trivia. Most of the questions were easy, but there were enough stumpers. Of course it's not worth arguing over multiple correct answers to win a fabulous ship's prize. My team won with 16 out of 20. We should have had 17, but I did not fight for one of my answers. I joined a couple and a guy. I'll look for them again.

Speaking of masks, which someone asked about regarding the gym, I noticed that they were serving drinks again in the theater last night. They had servers circulating around to take orders, or you could order on the app. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 4cats4me said:

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

I’m interested as well.

Not all phones are capable to do wifi calls.

The best thing to do is google your phone's model and "wifi calling"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Not all phones are capable to do wifi calls.

The best thing to do is google your phone's model and "wifi calling"

Also, not all carriers offer wi-fi calling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geoherb said:

@KLM3164 Yes. It was on the settings of my phone. I have an Android phone. I'm still amazed at how well it worked.

@geoherb I would be quite interested how the wifi calling works once you get further north. Maybe Skagway or so. Additionally, many thanks for this live thread; you are a rock star!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you for the Room Service menus.  I noticed there is a steak on there.  Did you happen to notice the price of that? I may need to try that one… for research purposes of course.

delete

Edited by awhcruiser

5 hours ago, geoherb said:

When I was there last night, most people were wearing masks. I did notice a couple of guys on the treadmills who were not. I prefer to get most of my exercising by walking. I was on the shady side of the Promenade Deck for a couple of miles this morning. The weather is beautiful. From the stern to as far as you can legally go was about 300 steps. In the narrow passages behind the lifeboats, there's just room for one person to walk. If you meet someone, one will have to yield to the other.

Could anyone check the room service menu when your OB to see if you can still order a small bottle of vodka or Jack

Daniels about 375ml?  I usually preorder it, but not shown online and the agents

have no idea.  I really appreciate it.

43 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Could anyone check the room service menu when your OB to see if you can still order a small bottle of vodka or Jack

Daniels about 375ml?  I usually preorder it, but not shown online and the agents

have no idea.  I really appreciate it.

I don't see a way to order it on the TV menu. You can order the liter bottles under "gifts," but they won't get delivered until the last night of the cruise.

Regarding the small bottles of gin, vodka, scotch, etc. On the Princess website if you click on the manage booking option for your upcoming cruise, then go to the Onboard Services section then to Princess Cellars, there is a Spirits section after all the wine listings.  Looks like that is where you pre-order these.   

• Like 3