The Daily for Monday August 23, 2021

richwmn

Today is The European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazism, Ride the Wind Day, and Hug Your Sweetheart Day

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. - Isaac Asimov

Meal suggestion for today - Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork With Sweet and Spicy Sauce

Drink of the Day - Sangrita

Wine of the day - Loveblock Pinot Noir Central Otago 2015

Destination of the Day - Dubrovnik Croatia

Ships with Passengers

At Sea
Eurodam Destination Haifa Israel

Juneau, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 13:00 - 22:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Puerto Vallarta MX eta 8/29

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0823World.thumb.png.2d6e43d7d48a2774babac6769b2771e8.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  An interesting collection of days' let us never forget Stalin or the ***.  I don't think I have ever been to Croatia.  I agree with the  Asimov quote.  The meal suggestion sounds good.  My alternative is Slow-Braised Boneless Beef Short Ribs with Alaskan Berries and Classic Alaskan Berry Cobbler as served on MS Statendam's Mariner Brunch in August 2014, my final alternative actually from a BHB for about a month.

Today’s care list:

RIP Cape May Beach Patrol Norman Inferrerra 3rd Line of Duty Death 8/20/21
RIP Don Everly and Rod Gilbert
Those in the path of Henri
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires
Sharon’s mom in radiation
Death in Sam’s aide’s family and dilemma in his caregiver situation
Afghanistan and Norseh2o’s nephew assisting the evacuation
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JazzyV with several procedures
From the rotation:
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Happy Birthday Vict0riann
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruisin single and CruiseMGM on BHB
Happy Anniversary Tbay DD and DSIL celebrating 13 years
A Nieuw Amsterdam Juneau Sail-in
5 Days for SharoninAz
Sharon’s help for her mom with radiation
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We must never forget the victims of Stalinism and Nazism.   I will hug my sweetie today (and every day).  I won't Ride the Wind,  but I salute those that do.

Great quote.

Both meal suggestions sound good.  Hope the drink of the day and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Monday.  Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! We all need to remember victims of those two regimes, and honor them by helping to prevent similar atrocities. 

Happy Birthday Ann!  @Vict0riann

C28BC138-8867-4B82-A69C-116362D198F6.jpeg.5f3d0e4524715bb207c877fe64f936c5.jpeg

Thank you for our lists, Roy.  Morning Dailyite family! A cloudy start here. Hoping for another great breeze to help manage the heat. Yesterday’s temps were hotter than Saturday’s, but the breeze made it more bearable. 

Just a quick visit. Heading to the dealership for routine maintenance. I will check back in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Loveblock Pinot Noir Central Otago 2015

Since all released vintages of this New Zealand Pinot Noir share the same excellent ratings, I used the 2018 vintage’s reviews. It should be easier to find than the 2015 vintage. I found several online distributors with prices starting $21.99.

Winemaker Notes

#46 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Crimson with purple hues. Ripe black cherry with smoky notes and hints of mushroom peeking out behind rich fruit. Fleshy black plum, with layers of cherry and sweet berries that play on the palate and dance with notes of violet. Dry tannins and hints of cigar make this a versatile wine to pair with turkey, salmon, lamb and beef. Estate Grown. Sustainably Farmed. Vegan.

WS93 Wine Spectator: This displays an impressive presence, smooth and succulent, with vibrant cherry, raspberry and apricot notes and touches of white pepper, anise seed and toasted cumin. The texture is smooth, with firm tannins that add an appealing traction on the finish. Drink now through 2033.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast: While this organically farmed Pinot isn’t as fruit forward as previous vintages, it makes up for it with an abundance of fresh herbs: thyme, rosemary and fennel seeds, with some leafy secondary characters and red-berry fruit in the mix too. Mouthwatering acidity and crunchy fruit are balanced by sandy tannins. Drink this light-bodied bottle a little chilled, with a summer meal seasoned with the same freshly plucked herbs as the nose suggests.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Monday morning.  Good days to remember.  I will hug my sweetheart.  Interesting quote by Asimov.  The meal sounds good, looking forward to Debbie's recipe.

Have not been to Croatia, look forward to those photo's too.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Sangrita:

Ingredients
2 ounces orange juice
1 ounce tomato juice
1 ounce lime juice
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
1 ½ ounces tequila
Lime wedge, for garnish

Directions
Step 1 Add orange juice, tomato juice, lime juice, Tabasco, and tequila to a tall, ice-filled tumbler. Stir gently. Garnish with lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 7.31.53 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

This is the start of a hot week here in northeastern Ohio.   We'll have several days of 90s and some upper 80s.  Next week it cools down to the upper 70s.   Meanwhile, I am Alaska dreaming.  19 days!

Today's meal sounds good.   I would definitely swap out the white bread for something else if I used bread at all.  

https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/a22666637/oven-roasted-pulled-pork-with-sweet-and-spicy-sauce-recipe/

over-roasted-pulled-pork-cl-0918-1533663776.thumb.jpg.0551aad168830ad277057077e5910250.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Monday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  We must never forget the horrors of Stalinism & Nazism to prevent them from ever re-occurring.  Hug your sweetheart day is every day 🙂  We can celebrate Ride the Wind day by enjoying our warm breezes outside.  I had to check out the day as I didn’t know what it was:

C1B0A926-999A-48F7-A82F-279D876A3140.thumb.png.3405414dd28a742bfdf0a40c4c969f0e.png

Absolutely love that quote by Asimov and I know that meal suggestion will be a big hit with many 😉 

We’ve been to different places in Croatia - lovely country and people.  The first port we ever visited was Dubrovnik.  We really enjoyed exploring  it and walking it’s walls.  

@Vict0riann a very happy birthday to you 🎂 

It’s going to be another hot week especially with the humidity Henri is going to add.  It’s going to be a tropical depression when it gets here they say so no serious wind risk.  The concern now is flooding in some areas as Henri will be moving so much slower.  I’m good with rain and no dangerous wind 🤞 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & especially those who were so badly effected by Henri & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!!!!

0D114012-0B6F-4560-AADF-997CA88338CB.jpeg.f50cd63fe8631be37c78a3a2bd040c35.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34

Good morning from central Texas where our temperatures are going to be hotter for the next several days, but just missing reaching triple digits.

Remembering the atrocities of Stalinism and Nazism to prevent them from happening again should be every day.  Will hug my sweetie.  @kazu Jacqui, thank you for the information on Ride the Wind Day. 

Issac Asimov's quote is very good.

The drink of the day sounds interesting. The meal and the wine are good.  Pulled pork is a favorite, but we like to smoke ours in the smoker.

We have been to Dubrovnik many tim3s beginning in 2002 with the last visit in 2019.  I'll have to look through my pictures for some different ones.  We walked the wall on our first visit.

Hope everyone affected by Henri is safe with little or no damage or flooding.

@Vict0riann  HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🥂 🎂

Lenda  😷

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 19

Good Morning Everyone from a very overcast day at the beach

Not sure what the weather is going to be here today.  Have to go to the dentist so it fits that it is a gloomy day. Like my dentist, dont like going.

@Vict0riann A very Happy Birthday to you!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 17

Good morning!  A lot of great days to celebrate today.  I don't think anyone can say it better than @cat sheparddid so I will quote her "We all need to remember victims of those two regimes, and honor them by helping to prevent similar atrocities".   So, so true!!  The quote of the day is a great one.  And of course I always like the pulled pork recipes.  

For those on our Care list, I send you my prayers and good thoughts as you cope with your woes.  Those who are celebrating, especially @Vict0riannon her birthday, cheers!!  

DD tells me my DGS Tyler who is the same grandson who had his belated graduation ceremony this month, is having surgery on his back tomorrow.  He has been suffering for a while now.   I heard something about a gym injury but I'm not sure.  Anyway they have to make a small incision and shave off a disc which is protruding into a nerve.  Up until now he has only gotten relief from epidural shots but that can't go on forever.  So a few prayers for this 23 year old for his surgery tomorrow would be appreciated.

Dubrovnik, Croatia is a beautiful port and a great one on any cruise of the Adriatic Sea.  We were there in 2012 on Crown Princess and in 2017 on the Westerdam.  The first time we met a young couple who were both dentists in the Army.  They went on a tour I set up in Naples and we hung out a lot in the ports of call on that cruise.  In Dubrovnik we took a cab from the ship to the Old City and walked the city walls together.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKK1tbDRq4aPfh1rw9ciao6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371108

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLpJn_X21-R2fZVaz2LbxUE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371357

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL1i7LS6H_eOxVAdZce5LhN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356370962

You get quite the views up there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcYfBAT9CsflduQaleOxgu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371432

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXpsXkVYgFVGeMV8BJN9LT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371462

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlsBNY5-qfTqGt316xC-pF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356370878

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK9ABagGhluOSUh1dlYwgRG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371483

And don't we all enjoy places like this?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKml1NR3jd-kQW3YVtadSOw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371502

From 2017 on the Westerdam the Franjo Tudman Bridge00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNF5DUw7IdXqjLKA14J2ml?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503945248

Our view from the ship00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ8vj5X8tWg9oNe63p31VmV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503945262

On the 2017 visit we took a taxi with friends again to the Old City, but we walked back to the ship after our time spent there.  It was a nice hot August day, too, so we were pretty tired when we got back to the ship.  Going to dinner at 8 pm we stuck our head outside and took some nice sunset photos.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK7lGdunMAog86imOQNrrgb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503945302

• Like 33

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DD tells me my DGS Tyler who is the same grandson who had his belated graduation ceremony this month, is having surgery on his back tomorrow.  He has been suffering for a while now.   I heard something about a gym injury but I'm not sure.  Anyway they have to make a small incision and shave off a disc which is protruding into a nerve.  Up until now he has only gotten relief from epidural shots but that can't go on forever.  So a few prayers for this 23 year old for his surgery tomorrow would be appreciated.

Sending prayers for your grandson’s successful surgery and quick healing. 🙏

• Like 13

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

Hug your sweetheart day should be every day.

Stalinism and Nazism should never be allowed again.

Very interesting and often Tri quote for today.

Nice meal and food choice.

Dubrovnik is a lovely picturesque place in Croatia that we visited on one of our Adriatic cruises from Venice on Splendour of the seas.

Take care everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20210823_135155.jpg

Screenshot_20210823_134752.jpg

Screenshot_20210823_134723.jpg

• Like 25

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!  A lot of great days to celebrate today.  I don't think anyone can say it better than @cat sheparddid so I will quote her "We all need to remember victims of those two regimes, and honor them by helping to prevent similar atrocities".   So, so true!!  The quote of the day is a great one.  And of course I always like the pulled pork recipes.  

For those on our Care list, I send you my prayers and good thoughts as you cope with your woes.  Those who are celebrating, especially @Vict0riannon her birthday, cheers!!  

Dubrovnik, Croatia is a beautiful port and a great one on any cruise of the Adriatic Sea.  We were there in 2012 on Crown Princess and in 2017 on the Westerdam.  The first time we met a young couple who were both dentists in the Army.  They went on a tour I set up in Naples and we hung out a lot in the ports of call on that cruise.  In Dubrovnik we took a cab from the ship to the Old City and walked the city walls together.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKK1tbDRq4aPfh1rw9ciao6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371108

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLpJn_X21-R2fZVaz2LbxUE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371357

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL1i7LS6H_eOxVAdZce5LhN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356370962

You get quite the views up there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcYfBAT9CsflduQaleOxgu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371432

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXpsXkVYgFVGeMV8BJN9LT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371462

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlsBNY5-qfTqGt316xC-pF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356370878

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK9ABagGhluOSUh1dlYwgRG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371483

And don't we all enjoy places like this?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKml1NR3jd-kQW3YVtadSOw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356371502

From 2017 on the Westerdam the Franjo Tudman Bridge00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNF5DUw7IdXqjLKA14J2ml?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503945248

Our view from the ship00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ8vj5X8tWg9oNe63p31VmV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503945262

On the 2017 visit we took a taxi with friends again to the Old City, but we walked back to the ship after our time spent there.  It was a nice hot August day, too, so we were pretty tired when we got back to the ship.  Going to dinner at 8 pm we stuck our head outside and took some nice sunset photos.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK7lGdunMAog86imOQNrrgb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503945302

Lovely photos of Dubrovnik Sandi.

Sending Tyler our prayers 🙏 for his back operation tomorrow.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. We should always remember the victims of Stalin and Hitler. I couldn’t sleep last night because I kept thinking of all the things I should do today and now I can’t remember any of them

We are in for a heat wave now that be survived the hurricane.

Will be interesting to see if the censors stop my post because of the word I used  above.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 17

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  The atrocities committed against people under Stalin et al should never be forgotten so that they are never repeated.  Thanks for the explanation of Ride The Wind Day @kazu, I was going to say that's any day DH decides to take the topless car out of the garage and we go for a spin.  Every day is Hug Your Sweetheart Day at our house.

We've been to Dubrovnik, and like others, enjoyed walking the walls.  It is a place we definitely want to return to in the future.  While having our traditional beer in every port, we spoke with a fellow from London, England who regularly comes to Croatia, staying at a small town just outside of Dubrovnik, for a month at a time.  He said it helps de-stress just hanging out in a quiet country setting.

313729760_Dubrovnik1.thumb.jpg.c28e3689a4e24f6c3d7f5125d7d9ba94.jpg

604496816_Dubrovnik2.thumb.jpg.827e854d09431131dec703e1fb7ebf4a.jpg

I like today's menu suggestion, but after making the big pork chop/rice casserole yesterday, you can likely guess what's on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

@Vict0rianna very Happy Birthday to you with many happy returns of the day!

@StLouisCruisers will definitely keep your DGS in my prayers; 23 is awful young to have such serious back issues.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for those who have experienced the wrath of Henri and continue to do so.   Raising the glasses high to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂 

Gerry

• Like 24

21 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@Vict0rianna very Happy Birthday to you with many happy returns of the day!

@StLouisCruisers will definitely keep your DGS in my prayers; 23 is awful young to have such serious back issues.

I know!  I am thinking the same thing.  I really hope this is a permanent fix for the awful nerve pain he's having.  My Father had back pain for over 50 years and I surely don't want my DG to have it too.

25 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, sending good thoughts for a successful outcome for  Tyler tomorrow.

Enjoyed your pictures of Dubrovnik.

Lenda 

Thank you Lenda.

32 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely photos of Dubrovnik Sandi.

Sending Tyler our prayers 🙏 for his back operation tomorrow.

Take care.

Graham.

I appreciate that Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1