If anyone is still flying SW; Hawaii sale started today

pcur

I'm visiting a friend after Gov Ing's request that travelers stay away until after 10/31, and SW started a Hawaii sale today.  I guess they're trying to offset the mass cancellations coming their way.  I rebooked mine this morning, saved $50, and am flying nonstop roundtrip for $199 from the West Coast.  

I've flown to DTW in the same amount of time with layovers for double the $199 roundtrip price it's costing me (in points) to fly to Hawaii.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Hawaiian Air is also supplying several wide body jets and flight crews to the US military to assist in transporting Afghan people from Doha and Ramstein.

I would anticipate schedule revisions soon

Hawaiian is only supplying two A330s from last I heard. They have 24 of them, so those two alone shouldn't make a big impact on their own. 

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

Thanks. I thought they were asked for four. Two seems manageable, don't know about the crew request.  I'm guessing it may be four crews.

The airline is required to "fully crew" the planes provided. Not sure of the definition of "fully crewed" given the long distance flights, and FAA requirements and employee contracts, but would suspect it is two full crews.

I would not recommend Southwest.  This last weekend we were on flights that took longer to get there in the air than driving on the ground.  Everyone seems to have their own Sothworst delay story.  For a bit more you can fly Delta and have a much better experience.  It is painfully obvious that Southworst is understaffed.  There were Southwest planes stacked up on the tarmac waiting to come into a gate at Denver.  The week before we encountered the same at BWI.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I would not recommend Southwest.  This last weekend we were on flights that took longer to get there in the air than driving on the ground.  Everyone seems to have their own Sothworst delay story.  For a bit more you can fly Delta and have a much better experience.  It is painfully obvious that Southworst is understaffed.  There were Southwest planes stacked up on the tarmac waiting to come into a gate at Denver.  The week before we encountered the same at BWI.

SouthWest needs to cut back more routes until it balances with crew and gate support. They have already cut back 50% out of West Palm, while adding service in Miami.

5 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

When Hawaiian Air participated in Desert Storm, they supplied three crews per plane.. I don't think the current haul is as long, but hours of service may affect crew availability more than aircraft readiness.

I'm not seeing any Hawaiian aircraft as having done any CRAF flying yet, so I am not sure if they're going to be flying in/out of Rammstein (Germany) or Frankfurt only, or go all the way to Al Udeid (Qatar). I think that will make a difference as to crewing...plus needing to get from Honolulu to either location. Delta and United have definitely been flying several times, so I am not sure why Hawaiian hasn't (from what I can tell...unless I am missing them somewhere on the radar). 

21 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

As a Namibian, I am still sad and bitter about this 

I do believe that most people know what SW means in the US, though.  Using airline abbreviations and references can be common vernacular rather than official call letters when not part of technical writing.

The above post is actually addressed to FlyerTalker, but since he's on my ignore list, I only saw your post.  

Edited by pcur

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Yes, I had my own delay disaster on SW recently, but for several reasons I'm going to fly them to Hawaii in November:

1. They gave me a $100 e-voucher for my trouble

2. I got nonstop flights

3. I'm retired and going to visit a friend, so delays aren't much of an issue schedule-wise

4. I have never flown Delta without problems:  they almost always reschedule my flights to very inconvenient times.  I got stuck flying them out of Vancouver, BC next year, and 36 hours after I booked, they turned a one layover to two layovers.  I cancelled and rebooked to what I had to begin with.

11 minutes ago, pcur said:

Yes, I had my own delay disaster on SW recently, but for several reasons I'm going to fly them to Hawaii in November:

1. They gave me a $100 e-voucher for my trouble

2. I got nonstop flights

3. I'm retired and going to visit a friend, so delays aren't much of an issue schedule-wise

4. I have never flown Delta without problems:  they almost always reschedule my flights to very inconvenient times.  I got stuck flying them out of Vancouver, BC next year, and 36 hours after I booked, they turned a one layover to two layovers.  I cancelled and rebooked to what I had to begin with.

I don't just have one Southworst story.  I have quite a few.  The $150 I received from them did not come close to covering the multiday flight delay costs.  However if you are staying with a friend and have a flexible schedule, it just might work out.  Seventy five percent of their flights I have been on in the last two weeks have been significantly delayed on Southwest.

They also do not want to serve inflight drinks on many flights blaming it on turbulence when mild to no turbulence was observed.  On Delta you can purchase a glass of wine.  A totally different experience.  When at the airports I do not observe the Delta flights stacked up on the tarmacs.  You can look at the stats but Southwest and American are having the most cancelled flights.

I have spent over 20 hours on the phone with Southwest after they rescheduled 20 or so flights trying to get an acceptable flight.  Between their constant rescheduling and flight delays they are a train wreck.

Edited by NMTraveller

34 minutes ago, pcur said:

The above post is actually addressed to FlyerTalker, but since he's on my ignore list, I only saw your post.  

I consider that a badge of honor.  Someone doesn't like straight talk and honest answers that disagree with their cherished beliefs, so they ignore.  How revealing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I don't just have one Southworst story.  I have quite a few.  The $150 I received from them did not come close to covering the multiday flight delay costs.  However if you are staying with a friend and have a flexible schedule, it just might work out.  Seventy five percent of their flights I have been on in the last two weeks have been significantly delayed on Southwest.

They also do not want to serve inflight drinks on many flights blaming it on turbulence when mild to no turbulence was observed.  On Delta you can purchase a glass of wine.  A totally different experience.  When at the airports I do not observe the Delta flights stacked up on the tarmacs.  You can look at the stats but Southwest and American are having the most cancelled flights.

I have spent over 20 hours on the phone with Southwest after they rescheduled 20 or so flights trying to get an acceptable flight.  Between their constant rescheduling and flight delays they are a train wreck.

If I had experienced what you did, I also would have a serious problem flying with them again.

• 3 weeks later...