Covid test, Is everyone paying?

So my cruise is on Sunday. Test to take place today. 2 Weeks ago made appt at cvs for rapid test, ok good. Went for test this am, oh they didn't have the rapid test only the regular and my results will be back in 1-4 days. So now I am scrambling to find a place with appts for the rapid tests and looks as though they cost anywhere from 129-200 per person if I can find one with appts.  So do I sit here and hope my test results come in time, or find a walk In clinic and pay. 

Been on computer now for 2 hours trying to find some info on the rapid testing, maybe I' m just getting to old to figure this out, yesterday though I was all set now just don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated, I live in Florida.

2 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

You should have your results back by tomorrow from CVS. Worst case scenario, go back to CVS and buy one of the BinaxNow AG card tests which are supervised via webcam for ~$25. 

I don't believe you can buy those supervised tests over the counter. You need to order them online. The ones sold over the counter are not the accepted tests.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, islandwannabee said:

I live in Florida

What part of Florida? Some Walgreens have NAAT tests which are acceptable and will take less time than PCR. Also look up the county's testing website to see if they list community testing sites.

The way it is here in Ga, some CVS have the rapid test and some have the PCR.  NONE have both tests and you have to check either box when booking the appointment and it searches locations accordingly.   I have a PCR scheduled for the 7th and a rapid scheduled for the 8th at an urgent care.  Im not taking chances on results not coming back or them running out of rapid tests.  Im also ordering the supervised home tests too.   You just never know what can happen in the next two weeks as testing ramps up again. 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

In the Orlando area, there are several sites that will do Rapid antigen tests without an appointment. One of my team members went to a drive up facility in Apopka, FL today and never had to leave his car. The test results (negative) were back within a half hour.  Run by NOMI Health.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

You should have your results back by tomorrow from CVS. Worst case scenario, go back to CVS and buy one of the BinaxNow AG card tests which are supervised via webcam for ~$25. 

The BinaxNow AG card purchased at CVS is NOT eligible for supervised testing.  The ones for supervised testing are sealed differently and have scan codes on them.

emed.com *might* be able to get tests to you by tomorrow.

Yes, the self pay test places appear to be taking advantage of the situation.

If you try urgent care, be sure to discuss pricing up front.

• Like 2

I'm just North of Tampa, found a place in outlet mall, paid my 129.99 via credit card to get appt tomorrow, hope I didn't just get scammed. Called several walk in clinics prices vary, but said all booked up. cvs and Walgreens don't have appts for rapid test until next week. 

2 hours ago, ryano said:

The way it is here in Ga, some CVS have the rapid test and some have the PCR.  NONE have both tests and you have to check either box when booking the appointment and it searches locations accordingly.   I have a PCR scheduled for the 7th and a rapid scheduled for the 8th at an urgent care.  Im not taking chances on results not coming back or them running out of rapid tests.  Im also ordering the supervised home tests too.   You just never know what can happen in the next two weeks as testing ramps up again. 

Actually, some do have both. We’re in Cherokee County and the one closest to our home can do either.  

I’m wondering if the uptick in testing caused the CVS to run out of the rapid testing kits in their case.  We’ve got our tests scheduled for 9/8 for a 9/11 sailing.  I guess we’d better have a Plan B in place!

5 minutes ago, satchimosmom said:

Actually, some do have both. We’re in Cherokee County and the one closest to our home can do either.  

I couldnt find any that do both.  I will look again 🙂 Im in Pickens and am doing my PCR at one of the Canton locations

Edited by ryano

We had a tour of Iceland and needed a quick test to enter the country.  This was from 31 July to 7 August.

CVS and Walgreens only had the PCR test and couldn't guarantee except for 72 hrs in advance, so we went to an urgent care facility.  Cost was $100 each.  We could have had them file with our insurance, but we weren't sick, so we just paid.    Some have told us the CVS tests are free, but not sure about that.

3 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Some have told us the CVS tests are free, but not sure about that.

CVS will not take money even if you tell them its only for travel, but if you have private insurance they do ask for a copy of the insurance card.  

2 hours ago, drdestructo said:

In the Orlando area, there are several sites that will do Rapid antigen tests without an appointment. One of my team members went to a drive up facility in Apopka, FL today and never had to leave his car. The test results (negative) were back within a half hour.  Run by NOMI Health.

So I can attest to this...booked my appointment with CVS 2 weeks ago, less than 24 hours before the rest they cancelled it so we scrambled. Came across this testing site, booked our 345 appointment at 230, got there at 330, drove through and had results before 430. Great service!

• Like 1

Don't go with CVS.  I signed up my 94-year-old mother in law for the vaccine shot in July.  Long story as to getting the first shot as she is not in the best shape.  CVS had the first shot and we got that one and the second shot was scheduled for a few days ago.  We got the on-line confirmation for the second shot to go and we confirmed.  But when we went to CVS, there was no shot to give her.  They had run out of supply.

46 minutes ago, Flamingo33 said:

So I can attest to this...booked my appointment with CVS 2 weeks ago, less than 24 hours before the rest they cancelled it so we scrambled. Came across this testing site, booked our 345 appointment at 230, got there at 330, drove through and had results before 430. Great service!

Do you know what kind of test it is that they use and what the paperwork says? I am booked for CVS next week but want to have a plan B (and C and D), just in case we have a similar issue. I can't find any info on their site as to what test they provide. Thanks! 

6 hours ago, ryano said:

My plan A B and C exactly, boy scout motto....Be Prepared.

• Like 1