Beware! Princess does not notify you when changing your reservation!

shiner6

11 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Unless you are disabled they should not have done this. We have a terrible time getting an accessible cabin because there are so few of them. No criticism of you, it is there system that is at fault, you just got lucky. 

I don't know Princess's policy but we got a great upsell on HAL from an OV to a to a accessible Lanai cabin for a great price . Their policy was unsold accessible cabins are released at some point after final cancellation period . In our case we booked late and the upsell was offered just two weeks before sailing .

11 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Unless you are disabled they should not have done this. We have a terrible time getting an accessible cabin because there are so few of them. No criticism of you, it is there system that is at fault, you just got lucky. 

Those who want a specific cabin need to book as soon as the window opens.  Anything after final payment is fair game.  I do not need an accessible cabin.  I have never been assigned an accessible cabin.  I do not begrudge those that need them or are assigned them on late bookings.  I book extremely early to get my favorite stateroom.  

• Like 2

Your reports of empty accessible cabins amazes me. I can't tell you how many times we have been refused an accessible cabin even when we book early!  We lucked out on the TA we are taking in Nov and actually got one. They are sailing at low capacity and it is a big ship so was not so difficult this time.

Sorry to hear of your sons situation. We have been watching the Paralympics this week and amazed at how these folks overcome their medical problems . They are so brave. My husband is a 100% disabled Vietnam vet but is in awe of others with more difficulties than himself.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:13 PM, Ombud said:

Exactly.  On Royal Class ships I'm only interested in moves to E409, E410, E424, or E425. Not premium per Princess but they're wrong (I'm currently in a bunch of E421 & E433s)

I'd be interested in your experience in E409. We are in that cabin on the Regal next year.

The upgrade fairy does occasionally give you a pleasant surprise. Our best free upgrade was from a Caribe balcony on the Emerald to a mini-suite. It was a 42-day cruise and about a week before we were to leave Princess called with a very generous offer for us to cancel the cruise because they were overbooked. We refused because we had been planning the cruise for months and had reservations on both ends. They must have wanted our specific cabin for some reason because a couple days before sailing they moved us to a mini-suite. We also were notified of an upgrade from a balcony to a mini-suite on a Majestic cruise last year that was unfortunately canceled due to COVID. We were notified of that upgrade just after final payment. Only once were we moved from the cabin we booked to one we thought was in a worse location. As soon as I got the email with the change I was on the phone to get our original cabin back. I book with a PVP at Princess.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, Steelers36 said:

I am glad this worked out for you, but next time, just enter "TA" and not the agency and name as not allowed on Cruise Critic.  It was fine for you to call Princess and complain directly as a customer that your NO UPGRADE was ignored, but anything to do with cabin selection and cruise fare has to be handled through the agent.  It is most likely that Princess notified the agency of your cabin "upgrade", but they failed to forward the email to you.  Checking Cruise Personalizer on a regular basis helps, but it may still be a few days after a change that you notice something amiss.

I had a do not upgrade once and I got "upgraded" to a totally obstructed balcony. J had to talk to several people before getting my cabin back. Now I check all the time to make sure I haven't been "upgraded"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I'd be interested in your experience in E409. We are in that cabin on the Regal next year.

The upgrade fairy does occasionally give you a pleasant surprise. Our best free upgrade was from a Caribe balcony on the Emerald to a mini-suite. It was a 42-day cruise and about a week before we were to leave Princess called with a very generous offer for us to cancel the cruise because they were overbooked. We refused because we had been planning the cruise for months and had reservations on both ends. They must have wanted our specific cabin for some reason because a couple days before sailing they moved us to a mini-suite. We also were notified of an upgrade from a balcony to a mini-suite on a Majestic cruise last year that was unfortunately canceled due to COVID. We were notified of that upgrade just after final payment. Only once were we moved from the cabin we booked to one we thought was in a worse location. As soon as I got the email with the change I was on the phone to get our original cabin back. I book with a PVP at Princess.

I have 1 on hold until my PVP gets back tomorrow. It's listed as a Guarantee Cabin bc my current cruise must be canceled & rebooked to drop the fare 400 + drop OBC 100. And I want it in that room .... E421. So today I get an email that it's assigned to C301. No thanks. I only use decks 5-6-7 and never elevators. So a room over a specialty restaurant (like E409) is PERFECT!!! Nice and quiet by 10. 

2 hours ago, shiner6 said:

So, just to be clear.... they do not offer upgrades or transfers after final payment is made?

Princess sometimes offers upsells to higher category cabins ( those I have been offered were after final payment); upgrades can happen anytime. 

10 hours ago, shiner6 said:

So, just to be clear.... they do not offer upgrades or transfers after final payment is made?

I've never gotten one before final payment date until now .... they've always come a month or two before sailing when the guarantees are given a room