Onboard Quest's first cruise

Huntingdon1701

5 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

They're still clinging, unfortunately. The free showers in the Sanctum are more roomy, and have a massaging option too. 

Thank you for your reply.  It's exactly what we were using every day during our last cruise on Azamara in August 2019 (I didn't use my cabin's shower even once).  We hope it will be open for our next cruise (I know some cruise lines currently close saunas/steam rooms, and I use them every single day and multiple times a day in sea days - the Celebrity Edge has the best set of them!).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Thank you for your reply.  It's exactly what we were using every day during our last cruise on Azamara in August 2019 (I didn't use my cabin's shower even once).  We hope it will be open for our next cruise (I know some cruise lines currently close saunas/steam rooms, and I use them every single day and multiple times a day in sea days - the Celebrity Edge has the best set of them!).

I'm going to do the same now I've discovered them. All Sanctum facilities are open at the moment, so hopefully you'll be able to enjoy them. 

Destination Celebration - they've brought the Azamazing Evening on board. Very talented pair of violinists, alongside a singer and band. 

The pool deck has been converted, with free cocktails and as much baclava as you can eat. Some luckless crew members have been persuaded to dress as Greek Gods and welcome passengers as they arrive. 

Didn't pick the best spot for photos but hopefully gives you all a flavour. Comfy chairs are well spread out for social distancing. 

(First picture is Artemis, I think)

IMG_20210831_205406.jpg

IMG_20210831_205613.jpg

IMG_20210831_205934.jpg

IMG_20210831_204752.jpg

IMG_20210831_204640.jpg

IMG_20210831_202646.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Huntingdon1701!

Just wanted to thank you again for all your posts.. I could read and reread them all day!

You are supplying us - the Azamara super fans - a glimpse into what we can now hope to return to soon enough!  It's been way too long of a dry spell without new port pix, White Night pix, cabin pix, menu pix, The Insider pix, Mosaic pix, Discovery pix and we are even lapping up the room service pizza pix.

Thank you for bringing us all back to our happy place. You are doing an awesome job!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

Please, no.  The curtains work just fine...and they're soft to the elbow.  Doors...not so much.

Totally agree.

Oceania changed the curtains to doors on the R class vessels.  They are a nightmare.  

• Like 4

@Huntingdon1701 thanks again for your wonderful commentary, especially the memory stirring descriptions and photos of places we have visited with Azamara.

And the food . . . looks as Azamazing as ever!!! 🤩

@uktog as I read through Huntindon1071's posts and the responses, I wondered whether the decorations may be specific to Hotel Director on the cruise. We have had decorations for both birthday and anniversary with Ryszard as HD if my memory serves me correctly (without going through numerous photos).

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

@Huntingdon1701 thanks again for your wonderful commentary, especially the memory stirring descriptions and photos of places we have visited with Azamara.

And the food . . . looks as Azamazing as ever!!! 🤩

@uktog as I read through Huntindon1071's posts and the responses, I wondered whether the decorations may be specific to Hotel Director on the cruise. We have had decorations for both birthday and anniversary with Ryszard as HD if my memory serves me correctly (without going through numerous photos).

Not sure as Ryszard was HD certainly on one of them. Did have lovely anniversary ones once that was Heike, we also had a beautiful breakfast on the balcony - we had splurged for the owners suite that trip as well.  Very memorable 

Thanks so much for doing this. Loving vicariously through your posts, which are also making us more comfortable about our fall one. Happy belated birthday and please keep up the posts. I hope someone from Azamara sees these and comps you some internet. 

One question, are you Club Veranda or Club Veranda Plus? Did you apply for the upgrade, or did they automatically do it? 

• Like 1

Huntington,

Thanks so much for all the information. My wife and I are on the 18th sailing on Quest and all this information is very helpful. One question which perhaps you really don't know we have is if anyone was denied boarding from the initial screening at the port. Also, with the excursions you've been on have the buses / transports been very full? Are the groups on the excursions small? The ship seems quite clean and in very good condition. Is the state room fresh and airy? Has anyone had issues getting back on board in the ports of call thus far? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hiplbl said:

Thanks so much for doing this. Loving vicariously through your posts, which are also making us more comfortable about our fall one. Happy belated birthday and please keep up the posts. I hope someone from Azamara sees these and comps you some internet. 

One question, are you Club Veranda or Club Veranda Plus? Did you apply for the upgrade, or did they automatically do it? 

Club Veranda. I didn't apply for anything - it's an upgrade within the same class but a much better location. Turned up with the luggage labels dutifully affixed and they said they'd have to change them. 

I did get sent the upgrade bidding options before the cruise but the price differences didn't make any of them that attractive. Quite happy with the Veranda cabin. 

4 hours ago, slprpMay2018 said:

Huntington,

Thanks so much for all the information. My wife and I are on the 18th sailing on Quest and all this information is very helpful. One question which perhaps you really don't know we have is if anyone was denied boarding from the initial screening at the port. Also, with the excursions you've been on have the buses / transports been very full? Are the groups on the excursions small? The ship seems quite clean and in very good condition. Is the state room fresh and airy? Has anyone had issues getting back on board in the ports of call thus far? 

Thanks!

I don't know of anyone being denied boarding, but probably wouldn't hear. No-one on my excursions has had trouble getting back on board. 

Excursion buses have not been very full. I think the largest group so far has been 24, but on a bus for 55 so plenty of free space. 

Stateroom has very good air conditioning so hasn't felt stuffy. I'm not a heat fan so have tended to keep the balcony door shut. Haven't minded that although my normal inclination is to have windows open in all weathers. 

Apparently there are only 200 passengers on board, so no wonder it feels quiet. They're expecting more for future cruises. 

They've also announced a 20% sale for a couple of weeks so a good time to book if you're thinking of it. 

We've just arrived in Crete at the very civilised time of 10.30. 

IMG_20210831_201651.jpg

IMG_20210831_201659.jpg

IMG_20210831_201703.jpg

IMG_20210831_201710.jpg

Major blip on my enjoyment of the cruise with the arrival of the details of testing. 

This is being done on day 5 rather than 6, so is therefore useless if you're not flying out the same day as docking back in Athens - I only booked the extra day because they left it far too late before telling us they had on board testing. 

To add insult to injury, the testing at is 7.30am. 

IMG_20210901_163852.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Club Veranda. I didn't apply for anything - it's an upgrade within the same class but a much better location. Turned up with the luggage labels dutifully affixed and they said they'd have to change them. 

I did get sent the upgrade bidding options before the cruise but the price differences didn't make any of them that attractive. Quite happy with the Veranda cabin. 

7 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

That is awesome! We have sunset veranda on 7 so it is between residential floors. I would do an upgrade to a suite, but not if it on 8 under the pool or buffet.

Your trip looks AmaZing! Out itinerary is in Italy and I hope we can share the same freedoms with caution that you have! Please keep posting. Your posts are like reading a really good blog! Thanks for taking the time to do this

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that in this excursion we were ASKED for our proof of vaccinations before we could enter the museum.

The other excursions had all said bring it along but without being asked I think most of us had become complacent about it. Luckily, we could all dredge it from somewhere to complete the tour.

Just something to not overlook and leave on the ship or coach. 

• Like 1

Hmm, that testing schedule won't work for us as we are staying in Athens an extra day- I specifically called Azamara and they said testing will be scheduled at passengers convenience... this doesn't appear to be the case....I was told we could choose which day to test..is this not the case then?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, QM2 fan said:

Hmm, that testing schedule won't work for us as we are staying in Athens an extra day- I specifically called Azamara and they said testing will be scheduled at passengers convenience... this doesn't appear to be the case....I was told we could choose which day to test..is this not the case then?

There's nothing in the letter to suggest flexibility. It explicitly says testing will only be carried out on this day at that time.

I would suggest speaking to them again. 

39 minutes ago, QM2 fan said:

Although, I've just read the Govt guidance again and it seems as if '3 days before' is actually 4 days before:

"When to take your test

You can take the test any time in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs.

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you could take a test any time on the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. The test result must be available for boarding."

So recalculating, Azamara will test on Thursday and my flight is on Sunday. So that timeline works. Despite running counter to all other testing guidance. 

Would that work for you too?

Edited by Huntingdon1701