Onboard Quest's first cruise

Huntingdon1701

50 minutes ago, Ithikan said:

Again, Huntingdon1701, I must thank you for the photos and posts.  Your Santorini sailing excursion looks like something we'd very much enjoy, having visited the island several times in the past.  Well done!

But, the "Recommended Attire:  Sparkles & Glitter" for the deck party would leave me pondering my packing choices - 

Right there with you about sparkles and glitter. Sincerely thinking that extra packing might not occur for us. 
Mostly I want to add my thank you as well. This has been extremely helpful to me. Can’t wait to sail Azamara for the first time in May! 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ithikan said:

Again, Huntingdon1701, I must thank you for the photos and posts.  Your Santorini sailing excursion looks like something we'd very much enjoy, having visited the island several times in the past.  Well done!

But, the "Recommended Attire:  Sparkles & Glitter" for the deck party would leave me pondering my packing choices - 

I've been accused of many things, but 'sparkling' is not one of them. Am wearing plain white. No-one else looks especially glittery. 

• Like 5

Many thanks to Huntingdon1701 for his his very informative posts, we’ve loved sailing along and it’s brought back so many lovely memories. The White nights were always wonderful with people using anything and everything to comply with White night, however it was always a bit of fun and a white flower decoration in your hair or attached to your clothing was fine, but not compulsory. Sparkle and glitter, I’m thinking sparkly earrings, necklace or some Christmas tinsel tied wherever. Failing that just turn up and enjoy, it’s fun! 🤗
We are so looking forward to our March cruise, and this has just added to ihe anticipation.

We’ve been to Santorini so many times, climbed the steps up and down, done the other excursions but never the Santorini sailing excursion, like you I don’t sail well on small boats, however I have promised my DH that next time I will give it a try, thanks to you! 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I don't think I asked the right person as they were reluctant to share the menu. I did get confirmation that they pair the wines with it and explain why. Also, this leaflet. There was more info on the interactive TV too, but it disappears once the event has happened. 

IMG_20210901_202939.jpg

Thanks for asking @Huntingdon1701! On another board it was reported that they are very like the Chefs Table, but WITHOUT the wine pairings. Sounded good though!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LauraBee2 said:

Thank you for your most informative posts. You've really helped us think through some things, especially around tours. So, just to be clear, no White Night? Replaced by Quest Fest? Thanks again!

It sounds like they are encouraging “sparkles” instead of white attire.

4 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I've seen Amanda a lot, but not aware of Ernest. What does he do?

Looks like Ernest will be singing in The Living Room on White Night, with Amanda doing the same on the Pool Deck.  Ernest, like Amanda, is an Azamara cruise director, and apparently will be cruise director on Pursuit when she begins sailing later this month.  Years ago, Amanda and Ernest were lead female and male singers with the Quest singers and dancers for quite awhile, a very talented duo.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Looks like Ernest will be singing in The Living Room on White Night, with Amanda doing the same on the Pool Deck.  Ernest, like Amanda, is an Azamara cruise director, and apparently will be cruise director on Pursuit when she begins sailing later this month.  Years ago, Amanda and Ernest were lead female and male singers with the Quest singers and dancers for quite awhile, a very talented duo.

Thanks. I'll pop in and see him. 

Sunset at Santorini - always beautiful, and a ship sailing into the sunset. It also gives you a clear view of how much dust the volcano laid down on the island (sorry, on a geology kick). 

The White Night dinner was amazing. I have never eaten better beef, and the lemon tart was also first class. 

Sadly, TUI did not come up with more imaginative ship names during lockdown. 

IMG_20210902_193137.jpg

IMG_20210902_193253.jpg

IMG_20210902_193411.jpg

IMG_20210902_182658.jpg

IMG_20210902_184112.jpg

IMG_20210902_190134.jpg

IMG_20210902_190703.jpg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:
  • @Huntingdon1701have you had much interaction with Hotel Director Ryszard Gusmann?  He made our 2017 Baltic cruise on the Journey the most unforgettable experience of any cruise we've taken.

None. I'm not much at engagement though. I'm sure he's still great. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

It sounds like they are encouraging “sparkles” instead of white attire.

I noticed that and had a minor fashion crisis. I decided to stick with the white dress I packed. We're on the next cruise!

8 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I've been accused of many things, but 'sparkling' is not one of them. Am wearing plain white. No-one else looks especially glittery. 

Thanks for the reassurance.  The sparkly bit was from left field, I must admit!

• Like 1

Good morning from Mykonos. Another beautiful island, but also one I've visited several times, so I plan on having a relaxing day on board.

If you haven't been before, do take the excursion to Delos. It rivals Pompeii in my view - ruined Greek temples as far as the eye can see. 

Most people have gone ashore this morning, so literally just three of us in Discoveries for breakfast. 

I plan on using their free 30 minutes internet package to do the passenger locator form today, which we need to get back into Greece. Surprisingly, we haven't had the results from yesterday's tests yet, but presumably they'll come later today along with the tags for disembarkation.

IMG_20210902_192354.jpg

IMG_20210902_192411.jpg

IMG_20210902_192417.jpg

IMG_20210902_192425.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2021 at 6:34 PM, QM2 fan said:

Very possibly- our flight is 1530 sunday... although I was under the impression the test had to be taken with 72hrs of departure? Really appreciate your help here, new to Azamara so no idea where to ask, their social media team just refers to FAQs.

Test results arrived today and checking them against the Government guidelines, they meet all the criteria.

However, uploading it to the app BA is using for verification results in consistent rejection (no explanation). BAs language on their website is that they're following government guidance but then outlines a stricter set of requirements. I think BA are wrong, and will complain to them, but I think a second test may be worth it for peace of mind. 

The hotel I'm using, Athens Gate, were doing onsite testing once a week, and have said they can point me in the direction of a local provider if needed. However, you may want to consider the cheaper ones you can bring from home and do under the webcam supervision of a professional. 

In case anyone is interested, this is what the results letter looks like - the censored top bit contains the precise date and time of test, your date of birth, full name, passport/ID number and your cabin number. 

IMG_20210903_092150.jpg

Edited by Huntingdon1701

9 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Test results arrived today and checking them against the Government guidelines, they meet all the criteria.

However, uploading it to the app BA is using for verification results in consistent rejection (no explanation). BAs language on their website is that they're following government guidance but then outlines a stricter set of requirements. I think BA are wrong, and will complain to them, but I think a second test may be worth it for peace of mind. 

The hotel I'm using, Athens Gate, were doing onsite testing once a week, and have said they can point me in the direction of a local provider if needed. However, you may want to consider the cheaper ones you can bring from home and do under the webcam supervision of a professional. 

In case anyone is interested, this is what the results letter looks like - the censored top bit contains the precise date and time of test, your date of birth, full name, passport/ID number and your cabin number. 

IMG_20210903_092150.jpg

I read on Flyertalk that the app was playing up and rejecting information incorrectly even for people within 24 hours of flying.  Might be worth speaking to Guest Relations as their shore agents will be supporting them on this and might have a solution/ direct BA contact so you can avoid the need to retest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

I read on Flyertalk that the app was playing up and rejecting information incorrectly even for people within 24 hours of flying.  Might be worth speaking to Guest Relations as their shore agents will be supporting them on this and might have a solution/ direct BA contact so you can avoid the need to retest. 

Thank you. That's very helpful to know. 

2 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Thank you for your excellent details on your live post.

We had booked the Athens Gate for a 2021 cruise that didn't happen but would be very interested in your opinions on that property at the end of your Holiday.  We've re-booked a cruise disembarking in Athens for 2023, so as much as you'd like to share will be most welcome. TYIA

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Thank you for your excellent details on your live post.

We had booked the Athens Gate for a 2021 cruise that didn't happen but would be very interested in your opinions on that property at the end of your Holiday.  We've re-booked a cruise disembarking in Athens for 2023, so as much as you'd like to share will be most welcome. TYIA

I stayed there before the cruise too. It's a very good location - ten minutes walking distance of the main sights, and along a road with decent restaurants. The hotel restaurant is also very good for breakfast and dinner with THE best views of the acropolis. 

I was in a suite with a terrace balcony with a view of the acropolis. The view was great, but privacy from other rooms is limited to a waist high hedge. The suite itself was also barely bigger than the cruise ship cabin so not really suite-like proportions. 

Service and support from reception has been first class, and the porters deal with the luggage as soon as you enter the building. 

Overall, it's good value for its prices and the view can't be beaten. You could find a bigger room elsewhere though. 

Views from the restaurant/balcony, plus some food pics. I'd happily stay again. 

IMG_20210826_203734.jpg

IMG_20210826_194617.jpg

IMG_20210826_195953.jpg

IMG_20210826_184645.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So, I've reached the point if the cruise where I regret not booking a back to back; and having too many work friends on FB to successfully call in sick while secretly booking another 7 days. 

Here is the disembarkation letter and tags, plus one of the stunning views of Mykonos. 

Consoling myself with milk and cookies from room service, and counting down to my next cruise (30 days!). 

IMG_20210903_122319.jpg

IMG_20210903_122329.jpg

IMG_20210903_122335.jpg

IMG_20210903_124930.jpg

IMG_20210903_100546.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you Huntingdon1701 for the very detailed report of your cruise.  Its great to know that Azamara is back and what we can expect of a cruise in these uncertain times.  I too have stayed at the Athens Gate and found it a good pre cruise hotel in an excellent location.

Did you book your cruise package through a travel agent or direct with Azamara?   The reason I am asking is that I normally like to book a tailor made package through a travel agent so I can choose my flights and, if necessary  pre cruise hotel  but with the current travel complications I wonder if it is better to book everything direct with Azamara.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Marmaduke said:

Thank you Huntingdon1701 for the very detailed report of your cruise.  Its great to know that Azamara is back and what we can expect of a cruise in these uncertain times.  I too have stayed at the Athens Gate and found it a good pre cruise hotel in an excellent location.

Did you book your cruise package through a travel agent or direct with Azamara?   The reason I am asking is that I normally like to book a tailor made package through a travel agent so I can choose my flights and, if necessary  pre cruise hotel  but with the current travel complications I wonder if it is better to book everything direct with Azamara.

I booked the cruise through a UK travel agent but at that point in time they couldn't do extra days either side - it had to be fly in and straight on the cruise. I was led to believe that was a constraint imposed by Azamara, in line with other cruise lines.

So I arranged (and rearranged) the hotel and flights separately myself. 

They may be more relaxed now. I'd ask your usual TA first if that's how you normally do it. 

1 hour ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I booked the cruise through a UK travel agent but at that point in time they couldn't do extra days either side - it had to be fly in and straight on the cruise. I was led to believe that was a constraint imposed by Azamara, in line with other cruise lines.

So I arranged (and rearranged) the hotel and flights separately myself. 

They may be more relaxed now. I'd ask your usual TA first if that's how you normally do it. 

I usually book my own flights and accommodation for reason of flexibility. However I have also booked Azamara cruises with flights included. Back in the day (probably 5 or 6 years ago I think) Azamara made a good effort to fly you in the day before and put you up in a hotel. However this has changed and more often than not on European cruises they will fly you in on the day. Obviously for one reason of cost. They will however sell you pre and post cruise packages at ridiculous prices.  At least from what I've seen. 

Phil 

Feed me Huntingdon1701!  Feed me!  Have really enjoyed your posts and the wealth of information you have provided.  Looked forward to seeing them everyday.  Will be missed.  Have a safe journey home.

Noticed in daily program that The Patio is not listed for dinner.  Do you know if it was closed for dinner?  We enjoyed going to some of their evening specials in the past.

Thanks again for your excellent updates!  You have increased our anticipation of being on the Quest next month.

• Like 2