Covid Policy 2022

hulamoon

We have a booking to Hawaii for April 2022. I just called Celebrity and they said vaccinated people who are infected at the pier are not let on the ship. Of course I understand this, but the policy to refund is only through October 2021. We have checked insurance and it is now 3X what we used to pay. This sailing has a 48 before sailing cancellation. We will test at 48 hours, is that the only way through this?  If I get a sniffle I just cancel, in case I am getting a breakthrough? We usually do insure so this would be a first self insure trip. What choices are you making for sailing in 2022? Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

I would expect that if the case counts are still high when the current cutoff dates comes around it will probably get extended.  Just book it refundable with the option of canceling before final payment date if things change in a way that you do not like.

Customer Service only knows what their system tells them which is what the policy end date is today, that does not mean that it will be the actual or final end date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have an answer:

1. Be Vaccinated and get the booster.

2. A few weeks prior to the cruise, take a test and if OK….

3. Stay isolated and be overly cautious in all you do:

A. dont go out except required, don’t eat out, don’t be inside a shop for any extended time. 

B. wear a mask around Anybody, in or out side.

C.  When traveling to the ship, keep as safe and protected as possible, wear a mask and a face shield.

You know, what we were all suppose to be doing During this Pandemic to end it and what we didn’t do, so the Pandemic continues……

den

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

While the rest of the travel world is allowing cancellations without penalty, cruise lines are still trying to cling to what is becoming an outdated business model. I'm tired of putting money down for deposits, then having to guess whether their policy will be extended, and having to make a Go/No Go decision at final payment time. Frankly I'd like to see the cruise lines have the guts to implement a more permanent flexible policy--come into the post covid world instead of trying to hold onto how things have always been.

• Like 2

Hmmm. We will have to check into ins coverage and costs before  making final payment for our Jan cruise...looking into several options,  Medicare  does cover anything,.,out of US.

We just want to get  it over with,,take our cruise, use up our big fcc and stay safe! Hope that's not asking for too much???

We have the edge booked for May 6th for Greece right after the CWC program currently ends.  We will have to decide by final payment date whether we are going or not.   I do wish they would move that May4th deadline for CWC program for the 48 hours cancellation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

Hmmm. We will have to check into ins coverage and costs before  making final payment for our Jan cruise...looking into several options,  Medicare  does cover anything,.,out of US.

We just want to get  it over with,,take our cruise, use up our big fcc and stay safe! Hope that's not asking for too much???

Perhaps you mistyped or I misunderstood. Medicare does not cover outside US.

As for travel insurance, it will not cover cancellation for a positive test alone. A person must be diagnosed by a doctor and be under his care or quarantine orders.

The evacuation portion of the policy will cover hospital to hospital transfer with the concurrence of the attending physician, receiving physician, and the insurance company if the initial facility is not capable of handling your case. It is not at your discretion and will not fly you home just because you test positive.

The trip delay/trip interruption features will help cover costs if you must quarantine and return home later.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hulamoon said:

. . . .  What choices are you making for sailing in 2022? Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

I have a British Isles cruise in May 2022 on another line.   My choice is if the situation is as unpredictable as it is now and testing and masking requirements are still in place at the time I have to make final payment in January, I will cancel.    I don't want to have money tied up for several months while wondering if Americans will be welcome in the ports or if I will be quarantined due to a positive test before being able to return home.   And I don't want to wear a mask all day.  I wear them all day at my office, and I find them uncomfortable for extended hours, not to mention that a mask requirement means we are still in the pandemic.

Same for my other European cruises scheduled in late summer and fall of 2022 - if I have concerns at the time of final payment, I cancel.  Sadly, this is looking more and more likely.   But, I am already thinking of other ways of enjoying my vacation time with less pre-trip stress than a overseas flight and cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dszrew said:

While the rest of the travel world is allowing cancellations without penalty, cruise lines are still trying to cling to what is becoming an outdated business model. I'm tired of putting money down for deposits, then having to guess whether their policy will be extended, and having to make a Go/No Go decision at final payment time. Frankly I'd like to see the cruise lines have the guts to implement a more permanent flexible policy--come into the post covid world instead of trying to hold onto how things have always been.

Cancel all of your sailings and do not think about cruising until you read at their website(s) that they are doing it the way you believe it needs to be done, 'fairly' and no more guessing, for sure.

bon voyage

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I have an answer:

A. dont go out except required, don’t eat out, don’t be inside a shop for any extended time. 

C.  When traveling to the ship, keep as safe and protected as possible, wear a mask and a face shield.

You know, what we were all suppose to be doing During this Pandemic to end it and what we didn’t do, so the Pandemic continues……

den

This is what we are doing. We have a trip coming up in September that will require 3 covid tests (One to enter the galapagos, one to enter Peru, one to return to the US). Unfortunately boosters won't be out for us by then. Planning to self quarantine as much as possible and wear N95 for 2 weeks leading up to the trip so we can at least get the first test negative. First half of the trip is a galapagos cruise. Since everyone on the first half of the trip will be vaccinated and covid tested (required to enter galapagos) hoping hoping that the second test will be negative. Third test is to return to US at the end. I'm less worried about that one. Worst case scenario we get stuck in Peru for an extra 10 days. Oh well. 

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

hulamoon, check thetripinsurancestore.com. We found a Geo Blue policy for medical & evacuation at a very reasonable price.  Our credit cards provides trip cancellation, delay, baggage, etc.

Just be aware. We have a trip in September. GeoBlue is normally our go to for medical. However, when I checked their FAQs, they are coving medical treatments for covid but not medical evacuation for covid. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Just be aware. We have a trip in September. GeoBlue is normally our go to for medical. However, when I checked their FAQs, they are coving medical treatments for covid but not medical evacuation for covid. 

May be a State by State thing.  I was running into that wall with our regular trip insurance (no Colorado COVID rider available), so I checked just yesterday, and GeoBlue had single trip options that included $100,000 and $500,000 medical evacuation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babr said:

As for travel insurance, it will not cover cancellation for a positive test alone. A person must be diagnosed by a doctor and be under his care or quarantine orders.

If I tested positive, I would immediately go to a clinic like Minute Clinic at CVS and have the nurse practitioner or physician assistant on duty diagnose me based on my positive test and advise me against travel. Of course they will do this because they are not going to know when you became positive (nor will you) and therefore aren't going to be able to tell you if you will develop symptoms or how serious your illness may become. I can't imagine this wouldn't be accepted by trip cancellation insurance.

Edited by MarkWiltonM
typo
  • Like 1

2022?  If you asked this question 2 months ago in the US everything was coming up roses for the fully vaccinated.  Life was getting back to normal.  Now end of August.  Situation totally changed.   Who knows what will happen by next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

If I tested positive, I would immediately go to an clinic like Minute Clinic at CVS and have the nurse practitioner or physician assistant on duty diagnose me based on my positive test and advise me against travel. Of course they will do this because they are not going to know when you became positive (nor will you) and therefore aren't going to be able to tell you if you will develop symptoms or how serious your illness may become. I can't imagine this wouldn't be accepted by trip cancellation insurance.

Sure. My point was that you need medical documentation to qualify for cancellation under the covered reasons. Just a caution not to cancel immediately because of a positive test alone. Someone without symptoms might not think to seek a diagnosis before making the call.

• Like 1

Yes, we are working from home, staying at home and have barely left the house. I have had the autoimmune third dose, but that just makes me even with normal vaccinated people. So all precautions will be observed. Final payment is January and if it looks good then, it doesn't tell me about April. Insurance quoted $1000. I will check Geo Blue Jelayne thanks. I don't want to lose $13,000 in that 48 hour window if I get a breakthrough. 

I wonder if the ship carries monoclonal antibodies? I asked and they said yes, but I am not sure I was speaking to someone who knows.

Thank you so much for all your input.

The question in January will be, do I feel lucky?

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

2022?  If you asked this question 2 months ago in the US everything was coming up roses for the fully vaccinated.  Life was getting back to normal.  Now end of August.  Situation totally changed.   Who knows what will happen by next year.

I know! Four cancelled cruises. I thought this April would be safe but who knows.

4 minutes ago, hulamoon said:

Yes, we are working from home, staying at home and have barely left the house. I have had the autoimmune third dose, but that just makes me even with normal vaccinated people. So all precautions will be observed. Final payment is January and if it looks good then, it doesn't tell me about April. Insurance quoted $1000. I will check Geo Blue Jelayne thanks. I don't want to lose $13,000 in that 48 hour window if I get a breakthrough. 

I wonder if the ship carries monoclonal antibodies? I asked and they said yes, but I am not sure I was speaking to someone who knows.

Thank you so much for all your input.

The question in January will be, do I feel lucky?

Check to see if GeoBlue includes cancellation. It is primarily a medical and evacuation plan.

I believe Allianz does offer cancellation with its annual plan. Check both if you are interested in an annual policy as opposed to the standard comprehensive plan for a single trip.

The annual medical/evacuation plans can be less expensive, but they may not meet your needs for this trip. I, too, would hate to see you lose $13,000.

• Like 1

I did another search to see if there was new info today and Carnival Cruises showed up. Dated August 14th anyone denied boarding due to Covid can have compensation. Cruise lines have taken a bit hit, but doing this for vaccinated passengers would give another layer of trust to cruising again. I am assuming cruise insurance tripling in cost is due to covid. 

13 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I have an answer:

den

I just can't live my life like that..I got the vaccine...I did my part.  I've sailed once on the Equinox this year, sailing again soon on Allure...with RCL....not going to walk around in a bubble to do it.  

Why test a few weeks prior to the cruise?  3 days is what they want.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I just can't live my life like that..I got the vaccine...I did my part.  I've sailed once on the Equinox this year, sailing again soon on Allure...with RCL....not going to walk around in a bubble to do it.  

Why test a few weeks prior to the cruise?  3 days is what they want.  

Because if you are testing positive, they won't let you on and it's time to activate the 48 hour cancelation policy. It's my understanding the positive test without symptoms also means you will not board.