Where Did Everyone Go?

5 hours ago, ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE said:

Strange vibes onboard Odyssey Of The Seas this week. Only 542 passengers. Ship is very quiet...

Hi Chris.  I am guessing you will have a lot of light cruises for the time being.  US children are now back in school, and more and more ships are resuming service across not only RCI but the competing lines as well, diluting the potential passenger pool.  Many of the most avid cruse fans already dipped their toes into the water on one or more of the summer cruises.  Immunocompromised people (which is practically anyone over 50 years old, i.e. the majority of people at a point in life not to be tied to a school schedule due to a dependent minor) are still advised to avoid cruises.

As dominicr mentioned, there are also additional requirements which eliminate a lot of potential guests. Much of the US is still unvaccinated and apparently in no hurry to become so.  People are aware that small numbers of cases are appearing on most of the ships so far taking passengers.  Requirements for negative tests prior to boarding add more complication.  And many people just feel the timing is not yet right and the world is not yet safe to venture off on a holiday of any sort.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE said:

Strange vibes onboard Odyssey Of The Seas this week. Only 542 passengers. Ship is very quiet...

I’m happy to hop on the odyssey in 30 days when my liberty cruise is supposed to happen if you can get royal to swap the 2 bedroom I have on liberty for odyssey…..without me having to pay another 15k.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We sailed on Celebrity Edge in July with 50% capacity (1500 or so pax)... Maybe first cruises attracted more pax. But we did not have to get a test to board and did not need to wear masks.

We should see how full Oasis will be on Sept 19th. Our FB group is almost 500 people and people continue booking.

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Much of the US is still unvaccinated and apparently in no hurry to become so.  People are aware that small numbers of cases are appearing on most of the ships so far taking passengers.  Requirements for negative tests prior to boarding add more complication.  And many people just feel the timing is not yet right and the world is not yet safe to venture off on a holiday of any sort.

Half of US is vaccinated... Not sure where majority of cruisers fall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Immunocompromised people (which is practically anyone over 50 years old, i.e. the majority of people at a point in life not to be tied to a school schedule due to a dependent minor) are still advised to avoid cruises.

I didn't know that 50+ years old people were immunocompromised.  I suppose I best take some sort of precaution. 

Edited by Magicat
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

Lots of people are jumping through the hoops and cruising with no issues!  Because the Odyssey is brand new, prices were higher than other ships for the same itineraries, which may have resulted in lower booking numbers.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dominicr said:

I’ve gone to florida 3 times since the pandemic started and rented a house.  It’s been lovely having freedoms when you’re out and about.  

Good for you.  Others don't see going to florida right now as a good plan.  And they contribute to the lower amount of people cruising.

Not sure why people think that everyone else is exactly like themselves so often.  

Heck, it's been a great year finding some amazing things to do close by that we would have never found had we forced ourselves to just go cruising.  There's been a big expansion of camping and sale of RV's are much higher than prior.  To pretend that none of those people were cruisers is ignoring reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Hi Chris.  I am guessing you will have a lot of light cruises for the time being.  US children are now back in school, and more and more ships are resuming service across not only RCI but the competing lines as well, diluting the potential passenger pool.

Not all US children are back in school.  There are many school districts that do not go back to school until after Labor Day.

5 minutes ago, ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE said:

Next cruise, Odyssey will be back to our regular 30-35% capacity.

We'll be on the 5N on Nov 15th. Still quite disappointed that after the failed plan to sail in Israel, RC didn't reinstate our "original" 9N inaugural US sailing. The shortened sailing is pricey, although we've had a few small price adjustments, and it's only sailing to the private islands. Now in all likelihood it's not doing Labadee,  but no word on any changes yet.

Do you know what's happening on the "missing" 4 nights on Nov 11-15. At one time in my account, it showed a 2N Trade Event.  Later it disappeared. Flying in for a 5N can be pricey and usually not worth it,  but we got a good deal on a 6N to do sort of a S2S with an overnight hotel stay in between.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:50 AM, reallyitsmema said:

Not all US children are back in school.  There are many school districts that do not go back to school until after Labor Day.

Once saw list numbers Kids in the US and weeks all started. My Grand Daughter started 3rd week July, other Grand started First week of Aug. My 30 Nephews/Nieces started last week and this week. Like High School Football, Decades ago started 2-3 week Sept, now 3 week of August

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 10:30 PM, ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE said:

If someone wanted to get married on the Odyssey where would you recommend for the service? 

Is there any area similar to Central Park on the Oasis class?

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

If someone wanted to get married on the Odyssey where would you recommend for the service? 

Is there any area similar to Central Park on the Oasis class?

I can’t answer that, but a person on here that goes by the name of jeepster is getting married on the October 17th cruise. He might have some answers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE said:

Next cruise, Odyssey will be back to our regular 30-35% capacity.

I hear the numbers have been yoyo'ing back and forth between the 6 and 8 night sailings on Odyssey.....with the 6 nights in the 1500 passenger range and the 8 nights dropping to the half of that range.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 8:08 AM, Magicat said:

I didn't know that 50+ years old people were immunocompromised.  I suppose I best take some sort of precaution. 

Many people 50 plus are still in excellent health with no known chronic issues.  It's just another risk factor at a time when some, not all, people, are worried, and that worry can impact how many people choose to cruise. I'm 55 and have no diagnosed issues but I am 20 pounds overweight, I have some digestive sensitivities and allergies, and that sense that things overall are not as strong and bulletproof as they used to be.  Weight tends to be more of a problem as people age and it's both a risk factor and a very common issue. If you are still strong and slim and athletic and feel great every day, I am happy for you.

The immune system tends to weaken with age for all of us, but that's like saying "everyone" needs reading glasses after 45. Not everyone. Just in general.  There are of course better choices that improve one's odds and worse choices (unfortunately pretty common) that erode them.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2020/may/what-it-means-to-be-immunocompromised

• Like 2