The Daily for Wednesday September 01, 2021

richwmn

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I am pretty much a wipe out with today’s Days. Not a fan of cherries. Haven’t written a real letter in decades, but I do write a newsy note in cards. And never learned to play chess. American or otherwise. 

Thank you for our lists Roy. Morning Dailyite family! Welcome @boze9999hope to see more of you. Congratulations @msmayor& DH on your first grandchild! @smitty34877, Terry watch yourself, too. Caretakers often do too much physically and emotionally.  

Love the meal, but only eat it on a rare occasion. The drink, minus the cherry, sounds great. Another file project day for me. Hope this is it. Shredding decades old mortgage, settlement, & refinance paperwork is the pits. I thought I was so smart about keeping up with all my other files. Lesson learned. Leftover shrimp, scallops, and beet salad tonight. And a celebratory glass of wine for persevering through my project.  Oh, and my appliance guru believes he can repair the dishwasher once the replacement part comes in. It needs a new “mother board”. Who knew a dishwasher had a mother board. Unfortunately the part is back ordered, but at least it is still available. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Wittmann 2018 100 Hills Dry Pinot Blanc (Rheinhessen) Germany

This dry white might come up under a different name depending on the release. But at least in the USA this is the name you should find this excellently rated Pinot Blanc. Several online distributors with prices starting at $16.82.

Winemaker Notes

Elegant, with fine aromas of ripe fruit, basil and mint. Creamy and fresh with vibrant acidity and a fine minerality. Invigorating freshness of ripe fruits and nuts. An everyday wine; pairs well with all foods.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast: Intensely ripe apple and pear flavors are juxtaposed by nervy lemon-lime acidity and clean mineral tones in this dry Pinot Blanc. It's light bodied and fresh, with hints of bramble and herb complexity on the finish. Enjoy now–2023.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5

55 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Good morning all!

Wouldn't really celebrate Cherry Popover Day - not a fan of that stone fruit.  Still have fond memories of hand-written letters both sent and received as a child with 'pen pals' from far away lands.  Learned to play chess as a kid too, but never to the skillful level as some.  

Lasagna would be a perfect meal for what will be a cool and dreary day here in NJ.  They predict my area is far enough east that our rainfall totals may reach just 1-2 inches; those further west are facing 6 or more.  Curious to see what is in the Flirtini - if it's fruity flavored, I might need to seek one out.

The cruise my husband and I have planned as our 'Welcome Back' in March 2022 is going to be cancelled.  I have known for a few weeks that it was going to need re-scheduling, but only in part due to the continuing fluid nature of what cruising is right now (I don't mind the masking, and for us the ship is the destination so movement in/around ports isn't a big deal...the testing part is a new twist though).  Truthfully, even if cruising was moving much closer to normal we'd still be rescheduling because....

We found out (and can now share the news) that we are going to be grandparents for the first time!  Our daughter and her husband are expecting, with arrival of the their first child right around the date of the cruise in March.  There's nothing that will keep us away from that event, so we'll delay our return to cruising a bit longer so we can celebrate this milestone.  

I will call HAL soon to release the booking - 11 nights on Nieuw Statendam in one of the double-wide verandahs on deck 4 aft - and have my future cruise deposit put back in our account to find another trip down the road to take.

Hope everyone has a good day today!!

Congratulations! So exciting. 🎊

• Like 11

Thanks Rich and all contributors. Definitely is going to be a hot muggy day after all the torrential rain we have been receiving.

Great time in Michigan but always good to be home.

Wow! September already and only 36 days before we board the MS Nieuw Amsterdam. We hope! Must be optimistic.

Have a great Hump Day!

• Like 24

49 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!  

It was an early morning for me.  I woke up at 5 and couldn't get back to sleep.  I made myself stay in bed until 5:45 and then got up and put the coffee on.  

@msmayor  Congratulations on the announcement of your first grandchild.  While  you have some time to wait, that will be fun time.  

@kazu  I really liked the meme about don't count your days.  We tend to do that and I bet we wish an awful lot of our life away.  

So, to make today count, Tim is coming over to take out the bottom shelf of my kitchen cabinets and then I will go to the hardware store to buy lumber to replace it.  The one in there was warped and everything I kept in there slid to the middle and it was a mess!   Of course, now it is all up on the counter.  I need to get that project done!

Today's meal is a favorite.  Who doesn't like lasagna?   And, if you want an easy lasagna fix, just use prego.  

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019042-classic-lasagna

In case that is behind a pay wall:   https://www.thewholesomedish.com/the-best-classic-lasagna/

1827222069_Classiclasagna.thumb.jpg.099a36d4b9fbe0c438936ef821d4b45e.jpg

1195225406_Best-Classic-Lasagna-600-x-900(1).thumb.jpg.cd05b57f3f73c9c439fb2cf63a202e06.jpg

That pic makes me hungry! Yum!

• Like 11

Since it is Cherry Popover Day, I went looking for a recipe.  There is a difference between a popover and a turnover, but you will get pictures of both when you do a search.  

Cherry Popovers:  https://www.kenarry.com/easy-cherry-popovers-recipe/

Cherry-Popovers-main.thumb.jpg.9f1c64610c316e2f6932482045b024bc.jpg

Cherry Turnovers:   https://dinnerthendessert.com/cherry-turnovers/

Cherry-Turnovers-1x1-2-688x688.jpg.256f48dbcf13c4658ac277769c456158.jpg

I love cherries and eat plain cherries as a dessert or snack.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s food suggestion sounds very good.  I like all things cherry and would not pass by a lasagne, especially if wine is added to the mix.  @dfishthe recipe looks good.  One of the local restaurants does a pretty good job so may need to grab takeout from them soon.  
Lots of rain are in our forecast starting this afternoon and continuing through tomorrow morning.  Locally we are expecting 3 to 5 inches.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.e84fa14b251f90e47efc01177fa4dbdc.png

• Like 25

Thank you Rich for the Fleet report and Daily. Rabbit, white rabbit. 

I like cherries but not cooked or baked in anything. Just cool, sweet cherries. 

image.png.d88abfe7c12eb0bfdde386820f8e678d.png

I do like to send notes, cards and letters. It cheers family and friends. Not necessarily this note...

image.png.a71322eba933bbe4a77a56ed671620d0.png

I really like Roy's menu. Love veal and the dessert looked yummy.

Congratulations Mayor on the news of a grandbaby!

Tonight we're going with friends for dinner and a concert. It's a Tina Turner Tribute and has gotten very good reviews.

Prayers, Cheers and Blessings 

• Like 22
  • Haha 2

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit!  I remembered today.  Good morning everyone! We were up late last night so I stayed in bed today instead of up early to do my walking.  

Thanks @richwmnfor our Daily today, and also to @rafinmdfor the lists.  I wouldn't mind a cherry popover today.  I eat cherry yogurt quite often - one of my faves!  My handwriting isn't great anymore so I type letters and print out instead.  Sorry I don't play chess, but I think my grandsons could teach me, or at least TRY to teach me.  A good quote from Sinatra.  I love today's menu suggestion.  It's one of my favorites.  DH doesn't know how to make it though so if I want it I prepare it for us.  Think I'll wait until cooler weather.  Prayers for our Care list today.  Cheers to all celebrating something!  Prayers to all those affected by Ida, and those who passed away.  Also for our troops who died in Afghanistan and for those left behind.

We didn't have crossing the International Date Line already?  Hmmm...  DH and I have done that quite a few times, but the most fun was when I had my birthday twice and I feel like that was already posted here.  Party in Pinnacle Grill the first night and party in the dining room the second night.  Therefore I'm a year older than my twin sister!!  

Have a great day!

• Like 26

@msmayorcongratulations on your first grandbaby!  That was a very long time ago for us.  You'll enjoy every minute.  Sorry about missing your cruise though!

My DD was expecting her third child when we went on our first cruise.  She informed us of the happy event right after we and DS and DDIL made our booking to Alaska.  She was due a week after the end of the cruise so we decided to go anyway.  As soon as I got home from the cruise I turned around the next day and drove to Ohio.  Two or three days after I arrived baby Morgan Grace arrived, and I was there to babysit the older two grandkids.  It all worked out fine.👶

• Like 25

1 hour ago, lcand1923 said:

Thunder and lightning woke me at 4:30am this morning.  Looks like we will have an interesting day in MD with the remnants of Hurricane Ida.  Sand Bags are being distributed in parts of Baltimore City and Annapolis due to the threat of flooding.  

Stay Safe!

That was quite a storm, wasn't it! I quickly got dressed & ran to the basement to make sure the pump in the stairwell was working. Don't need another flood! It was, so I'm feeling more confident about more rain this afternoon. Phew!

• Like 21

We got our negative COVID test results (PCR) at about 9 pm last night. We had the swabs done at about 11:30 am yesterday - great turnaround time since it was a local lab! We planned to leave tomorrow because we were not sure how long the COVID results would take (I was originally going to try Walgreens or CVS). Once I found the local place with same day results ($119 each), we decided to leave today. Packing the car now and should be on the road by around 9:30 am. Dinner in Sault Ste Marie tonight! 

I might not be posting much for the next 2-3 weeks, we will see how our internet access goes...

• Like 34

1 minute ago, Overhead Fred said:

We got our negative COVID test results (PCR) at about 9 pm last night. We had the swabs done at about 11:30 am yesterday - great turnaround time since it was a local lab! We planned to leave tomorrow because we were not sure how long the COVID results would take (I was originally going to try Walgreens or CVS). Once I found the local place with same day results ($119 each), we decided to leave today. Packing the car now and should be on the road by around 9:30 am. Dinner in Sault Ste Marie tonight! 

I might not be posting much for the next 2-3 weeks, we will see how our internet access goes...

Excellent news on the PCR tests!  Drive safely and have a great time.  It's been a long time since you've been able to get to your "cottage".  😄

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Happy September! I am glad August is over and am looking forward to a much better month.

Thanks to Rich, Roy and all other contributors. I love the daily information and the knowledge I am gaining here.

I am not a fan of maraschino cherries, but love fresh cherries by themselves or in baked goods. I used to write a lot of letters, but now I'm lucky if I get a few Christmas cards sent out. The last time I played was on the deck of the NL Breakaway in March of 2016.

I do love lasagna, eating it and making it. Not sure what will be for dinner tonight.

It is still raining here, but has calmed down. Neighbors in the community who have weather stations are saying we've received 6-8 inches since Monday night.

DH says he feels stronger today, so I am grateful for that. Last night he had the chills and a slight fever so I was worried he was regressing.

Praying and praising for those on the lists.

Stay safe and have a blessed day.

Julia

• Like 24

7 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Great news on your negative covid19 test.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise.

Graham.

• Like 8

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit -- Happy September! 

When we were on the Eurodam's Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in March 2019, we crossed the international dateline and the equator on March 20, the vernal equinox. Captain John Scott held a contest to name those of us who experienced this unique event - thus, the Royal and Ancient Order of the Purple Porpoise Golden Shellback was born!

I like the drink recipe today & can't wait to board the NA to give it a try!

@msmayor - Congratulations on the good news!

Prayers and cheers for everyone!

Edi

• Like 25

Good morning everyone. Sam is on his way to the cardiologist.All scans came back negative for heart attack or brain bleed so he is finally able to start on an anticoagulant. 
The new aide is working out ok.

We are expecting lots of rain and some houses near us flooded from the last storm. We don’t need that here.

Stay safe,

Carol

• Like 30

19 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Happy September! I am glad August is over and am looking forward to a much better month.

Thanks to Rich, Roy and all other contributors. I love the daily information and the knowledge I am gaining here.

I am not a fan of maraschino cherries, but love fresh cherries by themselves or in baked goods. I used to write a lot of letters, but now I'm lucky if I get a few Christmas cards sent out. The last time I played was on the deck of the NL Breakaway in March of 2016.

I do love lasagna, eating it and making it. Not sure what will be for dinner tonight.

It is still raining here, but has calmed down. Neighbors in the community who have weather stations are saying we've received 6-8 inches since Monday night.

DH says he feels stronger today, so I am grateful for that. Last night he had the chills and a slight fever so I was worried he was regressing.

Praying and praising for those on the lists.

Stay safe and have a blessed day.

Julia

I really hope your DH gets stronger and feeling better.  I know from experience that chills and fever are no fun! 

Jasper is up in the far north of Georgia, isn't it?  That is quite a lot of rain you got up that way!  DH said this morning we only had 1.2 inches of rain out of the storm.  We are south of Atlanta and North of Macon.

• Like 16

30 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Sam is on his way to the cardiologist.All scans came back negative for heart attack or brain bleed so he is finally able to start on an anticoagulant. 
The new aide is working out ok.

We are expecting lots of rain and some houses near us flooded from the last storm. We don’t need that here.

Stay safe,

Carol

Good news indeed, Carol 👍 

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Glad you got your negative results.  Have a safe trip and enjoy your time at your cottage.

Lenda 

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Whew!  That’s a relief.  Praying for his continued improvement 🙏🏻 

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I really hope your DH gets stronger and feeling better.  I know from experience that chills and fever are no fun! 

Jasper is up in the far north of Georgia, isn't it?  That is quite a lot of rain you got up that way!  DH said this morning we only had 1.2 inches of rain out of the storm.  We are south of Atlanta and North of Macon.

Yes, Jasper is just south of Ellijay and Blue Ridge, (about an hour north of Atlanta). We live on the side of a mountain. I keep meaning to ask what part of GA you live.

Thank you for the good wishes for my husband.

• Like 12