The dreaded CVS cancellation has just happened

Razor_Poke

23 minutes ago, groundloop said:

What a mess, especially now that we only have a two day window for testing.  I guess I feel at least a tiny bit better knowing that Carnival will soon have rapid testing available at the ports.

When will they have testing at the port?

1 minute ago, eagletwo said:

When will they have testing at the port?

No date announced yet.  Carnival is setting up the infrastructure,  but a third party will be doing the actual testing and will also be charging a yet to be determined amount. 

We sail Monday, so the sudden cancellation was for tomorrow. 

We found a CVS about an hour away that has PCR so fingers crossed they can turn it around in a day.

Also made a preflight appointment for the paid testing center at Cleveland airport on Sunday before our flight. Will cancel if not needed. Plan C if somehow all that falls through is to use the testing center at MIA. 

What a pain. These are unusual times but CVS needs to be better. We got the appointment reminder by text this morning and then a few hours later, boom, it’s canceled. 

15 minutes ago, OhioJourneys said:

Try contacting your local health department.  I just learned that ours will provide free at home test kits that are accepted by CCL.  They should also have a listing of alternative local testing locations.

Is your local health department going to do a telehealth supervision as required by Carnival?

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

MIA’s South Terminal testing facility, operated by Nomi Health and located near the Concourse H TSA Checkpoint on the departures level at Door 20, provides Antigen, PCR, and Rapid PCR tests daily from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. for walk-ins and scheduled appointments. PCR test results are provided within 24 hours, Rapid PCR test results within one hour with an oral swab, and Antigen results are available within 15 minutes. Notifications and results are provided to customers via text and/or email. For testing costs or to schedule an appointment, visit the Nomi Health website or call (305) 280-0694toll free at (833) 685-0700.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Razor_Poke said:

We sail Monday, so the sudden cancellation was for tomorrow. 

We found a CVS about an hour away that has PCR so fingers crossed they can turn it around in a day.

Also made a preflight appointment for the paid testing center at Cleveland airport on Sunday before our flight. Will cancel if not needed. Plan C if somehow all that falls through is to use the testing center at MIA. 

What a pain. These are unusual times but CVS needs to be better. We got the appointment reminder by text this morning and then a few hours later, boom, it’s canceled. 

We got hit with a late cvs rapid cancellation this past weekend..thankfully not for a cruise.  Good luck as I was scrambling here for a testing site. Would’ve much more stressed had it been for our cruise. 

• Like 1

When we flew home last weekend I saw a rapid testing place in the airport (SLC).  Unfortunately we were rushing to get to our connection, so I wasn't able to get info (I was really curious on price) but the sign said "results in about 20 minutes".

Maybe they have locations in other airports as well.

7 hours ago, Razor_Poke said:

You can't blame CVS. There is a massive pandemic at hand and everywhere is running out of testing kits. Carnival is the one to blame along with the CDC. I have already ordered my eMed kits so I don't have to go through this. It is only going to get worse. Many employers in my area along with local and county governments are ending remote work, requiring unvaxxed to be tested weekly. The strain on tests is going to get extremely bad. They are also going to constrain to need based which means results are not needed for 2-3 days. Rapid tests are not going to be in any type of mass supply list soon.

3 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Carnival is the one to blame along with the CDC.

How is that?  CDC sets the rules Carnival has to follow. 

3 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Many employers in my area along with local and county governments are ending remote work, requiring unvaxxed to be tested weekly. The strain on tests is going to get extremely bad.

Too many employers are requiring unvaxxed to be tested weekly AND covering the cost of said test.  Its like saying dont speed in a company vehicle but if you do we will pay your fine.  Why would you stop speeding?  If Companies required vaccine and said if you dont want to get it you need weekly testing AT YOUR OWN COST I guarantee there would be either more people getting the shot.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Too many employers are requiring unvaxxed to be tested weekly AND covering the cost of said test.  Its like saying dont speed in a company vehicle but if you do we will pay your fine.  Why would you stop speeding?  If Companies required vaccine and said if you dont want to get it you need weekly testing AT YOUR OWN COST I guarantee there would be either more people getting the shot.

Almost all employers where I am at are not covering weekly testing for work. Medical insurance is not covering the cost either. I know my employer is giving unvaxxed 1-pass for missing work because test results aren't back. The 2nd time is disciplinary. The 3rd is voluntary resignation of your position. Here that means no unemployment. 

• Like 1

I received the cancellation notice from our local CVS too.  It's scheduled for next Tuesday for a Thursday sailing.  Called them directly and they told me they had not canceled and we are still good for our PCR test next week.  I do have some urgent cares lined up for a rapid test in case we need to get that taken care of before we head to the port (we live about 2.5 hours away from the port).

But the line also announced that it is developing plans to offer rapid testing at all of its U.S. homeports. That would be welcome news, as the 48-hour requirement could prove difficult for many, especially those traveling who wish to arrive early into the port city.

“We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test,” Carnival’s site now states, “especially with the new two-day window established by the CDC that goes into effect on September 13. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure.”

A fee will be involved, but the amount has not yet been determined.

“Carnival will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier,” the line states.

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

My employer is getting ready to start weekly testing for unvaccinated. The test is free. Employees are union so there would be lawsuits otherwise. But if you test positive you have to use your time off banks to isolate (in 2020 everyone was given time off to isolate for free).

• Like 1

If you want to cruise without stress or risk, order the Abbot Ag 2 card test from emed.com, 6 tests for $150. Then there's no stress, no risk of cancellation or delayed/lost results, no worrying/delays at the port or airport, no risk of infection from others getting tested, no stranger sticking a swab up your nose, and no price gouging or insurance hassles. The only valid tests for cruising are on emed.com and optum.com and have to provide emed telehealth service monitoring. If you intend to travel abroad on non-cruise travel, they're also perfect for testing requirements to return to the US, since you don't have to hunt down a local test in a foreign country. There's a thread on here with a cruiser showing how he did the test and registration. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Exactly!  Make the unvaccinated pay 

• Like 1