The Daily for Friday September 03, 2021

richwmn

Good Friday morning.  Wow on the group of days.  I don't think there is a lazy mom out there.  Not sure about the Berlin quote.  Not a fan on Bass so will skip the meal.  Have not been to France, looking forward to the pictures.

Prayers and toasts to our list.  Congratulations to the birthdays, cruises, and anniversary celebrations.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Blow my Skull Off:

(found two descriptions)

2 oz cognac
1/2 oz peach schnapps
1/2 oz Jagermeister® herbal liqueur

Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass or cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Stir well to combine, and chill. Strain into a chilled martini glass, and serve.

By 1850 there was still no licensed inns available in a newly colonised Australia yet after building the nations first church and hospital by paying workers with grog, needless to say a little rum went a long way. One such colonists concoction was the aptly named “Blow My Skull Off” as described at a cost of half a crown a wine glass, you could receive this drink comprising of a poisonous berry named [i]Cocculus indicius[/i], brandy, Turkish opium, cayenne pepper and rum – all mixed together with 5 parts water. The author Phillip Andrew finishes by stating, [i]“One good stir and it was ready for the table. A couple of good swigs and the mounted police turned out, hit everyone they could see, before the brawl reached the proportions of a riot.”[/i]
Ingredients
Cocculus Indicius (a poisonous alkaloid berry with stimulant properties)
Brandy
Turkish opium
Cayenne pepper
Rum
5 parts water
Instructions
Muddle the berry into the base of a glass.
Add the remaining ingredients stirring through with 5 parts water…Just don’t drink it!

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 9.13.42 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good Friday morning.  Wow on the group of days.  I don't think there is a lazy mom out there.  Not sure about the Berlin quote.  Not a fan on Bass so will skip the meal.  Have not been to France, looking forward to the pictures.

Prayers and toasts to our list.  Congratulations to the birthdays, cruises, and anniversary celebrations.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Blow my Skull Off:

(found two descriptions)

2 oz cognac
1/2 oz peach schnapps
1/2 oz Jagermeister® herbal liqueur

Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass or cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Stir well to combine, and chill. Strain into a chilled martini glass, and serve.

By 1850 there was still no licensed inns available in a newly colonised Australia yet after building the nations first church and hospital by paying workers with grog, needless to say a little rum went a long way. One such colonists concoction was the aptly named “Blow My Skull Off” as described at a cost of half a crown a wine glass, you could receive this drink comprising of a poisonous berry named [i]Cocculus indicius[/i], brandy, Turkish opium, cayenne pepper and rum – all mixed together with 5 parts water. The author Phillip Andrew finishes by stating, [i]“One good stir and it was ready for the table. A couple of good swigs and the mounted police turned out, hit everyone they could see, before the brawl reached the proportions of a riot.”[/i]
Ingredients
Brandy
Turkish opium
Cayenne pepper
Rum
5 parts water
Instructions
Add the remaining ingredients stirring through with 5 parts water…Just don’t drink it!

Thanks for the information but I will yake a rain check.

• Like 5

The start of Labor Day weekend is always welcomed. All you tourist enjoy and thanks for keeping our local economy booming. Now we can start enjoying our piece of paradise until next Memorial Day!

Thanks Rich and Roy and all of our Daily reporters.

We will be having a quiet holiday at home and with each other. ❤️

• Like 20

Good morning from central Texas where it will still be hot today.

Lazy Moms Day is meant to give moms a rest as others do their chores for the day,  Our college colors are burnt orange and white.  While I'm not fond of heights, we have visited several skyscrapers around the world, including the Shanghai Tower, the second tallest one.

Food banks do an amazing and much needed job.

Irving Berlin's quote is interesting.  Will pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds like one I'd like. 

We have sailed by today's port on the Prinsendam on visits to Bordeaux, but never stopped there.

@smitty34877  Terry, good that you got the basements dried out and had no damage.  Be careful on the roads taking Tana to her therapy.  Hope it helps her.

@mamaofami  Carol, glad you are feeling better.  Be careful going to the podiatrist.

@cat shepard  Glad you are finally able to start PT.

@travelingbums  i noticed you are from Conroe.  We lived in The Woodlands for 14 years until we moved to central Texas in 1999 to escape the humidity and growing traffic congestion.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, travelingbums said:

Thank you everyone for sharing and caring.

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone. Be Safe.

Off to get tested then off to our cruise/ Alaska.....

Good luck with your test.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

• Like 10

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for the Daily and thanks for the heads up on Labor Day sale.

Thank you Roy for Prayers and Cheers lists, and thanks to our food and beverage gals. Especially happy Bruno got his covid test. Poor guy stressed for weeks! Bon Voyage Bruno and Dad!

I will happily eat everyone's bass and like both recipes, thanks Debbie. Support your food banks! We traveled to France on several trips but never on a ship.. Planes, trains, and automobiles. Love France!!

Lazy mom's?

image.png.5554b7b185e7f9bbcab59ce74b53052c.png

Off and running this morning to an appointment. This afternoon we meet our contractor to go over demolition of our bathroom to make a walk in shower. Going to wait til end of the month to start due to our reunion.

Have a safe Labor Day. Blessings,  Cheers and especially Prayers.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Ingredients
Brandy
Turkish opium
Cayenne pepper
Rum
5 parts water
Instructions

Sounds like just having one in your posession could get you arrested. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

Thank you for our daily BHB report. Prayers for everyone on the Care List, and cheers for all the celebrations. And thanks for the drink, wine, recipe, port photo, and meme contributions. 
Didn’t get to read all of yesterday’s Daily, only the first few pages. Prayers for all affected by Ida. 

Yesterday I went to Pike Place Market and walked around a bit.  My knees were starting to ache so I got some sushi and watermelon bubble tea, and of course mini donuts. Called for a Lyft back to the hotel. Ate and rested while waiting for my GF to arrive. Had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. 

Today we are having breakfast at Toulouse Petit Kitchen, then visit Chihuly Garden and Glass. Dinner is at Elliott’s Oyster House with @LAFFNVEGAS

• Like 25

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Lazy Mothers sounds like a contradiction of terms to me.  My College Colors are Green and White.  Skyscrapers are awesome but can also be scary.  A special salute to Food Banks.  I love both Berlin and his quote.  Have not been to Bordeaux and will pass on the bass.

Today’s care list:

RIP Surfside lifeguard Keith Pinto
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
sailingdutchy’s DD in Rye NY with flood damage
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but showing improvement
durangoscots recovering from difficult melanoma surgery
Crabbi Patti in Quarantine
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
irishjim awaiting surgery for ear melanoma September 14

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard billfish
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
1 Day for Atexsix, dobiemom, and Lafnvegas
Getaway for segarsmoker
Tioga Cruiser on a road trip
Overhead Fred back at cottage
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor Brenda feeling better
cat shepard freed from brace
Ancient Wanderer headed for Alaska
Cruising-along DD and DSIL heading close to home
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy thank you for adding me to your care list.Just want to say my ear cancer is not a melanoma but a Squmous C cell Jim,

• Like 6
  • Thanks 11

Good morning all!

Another beautiful morning in the PNW.

I know I would be right there with @msmayor hugging an interior wall, heights and I do not get along. 😉  When the grandsons started in-school on Wednesday, DD probably did feel like it was Lazy Mother's Day, although she still had to work (from home).  It was much easier than having the boys home 24/7 though!

The meal sounds good, will pass on the wine and drink.  Have been to Bordeaux (and will be there next summer on the Volendam) but never to Le Verdon.  

@kazu and @richwmnthe upcoming Eurodam ports were changing by the minute yesterday, it was hard to keep up.  Our Sept. 24-Oct. 18 segments were different every time I checked.  Hopefully things have calmed down now -- DH and I are thrilled with our changes, more time in Greece and Croatia plus 6 new ports to us, so we're happy. 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and hurrah to all who will be boarding the NA tomorrow!

• Like 18

Good morning, all! Now that DD is gone, a Lazy Moms Day sounds like a wonderful idea! I could spend it tidying up the garden, which needs attention. I think that might defeat the purpose of Lazy Moms Day. Maybe instead I should go over the stored wine and see if there’s a forgotten bottle that needs some closer examination.🤔

I think I will pass on the fried fish. It is fabulous with very, very fresh caught fish, otherwise, not so much. Sadly, we have no fresh caught fish.

We haven’t been to today’s port, so all pictures are appreciated. @dobiemomyour post made me realize how much I miss our precovid road trips to Seattle when we needed a short get away. Oh well, someday….. My thoughts are with all who are still cleaning up from the mess Ida’s remnants left in her wake.

Today is a last nice day before the rain sets in. It’s been so dry we really need the rain, so no complaints here. The rivers are very low. 
Happy Friday, and enjoy the Labour Day weekend, especially those heading out on a BHB tomorrow!

080BF87B-78A3-497C-B0CA-71BD247D0F42.thumb.jpeg.f19dd0364d046466be342e393b1ffd19.jpeg

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I like the old skyscrapers like the Chrysler building in NYC. I'll salute my BU colors of scarlet and white. I don't know any lazy Mothers, but all deserve a day of laziness. Also a cheer for food banks. I used to volunteer at one. Good quote.

I'll pass on any fish meal. Pass on the drink. I like the wine.

I have been to France but not to Le Verdon.

Another sunny mid-70's day later, but it was 50 this AM, brrr. I'll be going out to mow the grass soon; it's gotten quite high with all the rain and there are some mushrooms growing.

@KirkNC Happy Birthday to your DD. Enjoy the visit.

@JAM37 I'm glad your DH feels better today.

@smitty34877 Good news that your water heater is ok and that you have power. Hopefully the roads are clear for the trip with Tana to PT.

@mamaofami I'm happy to hear you're feeling better today.

@cat shepard  First PT will be interesting I'm sure.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. The Delta variant numbers are crazy!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all, an interesting day and weekend coming up.  DD who lives with us has not been feeling well, and the doctor decreed she go and get tested, so she has an appointment for 4 this afternoon.  Results should be back in 24 hours, but I'm not sure if that will mean Saturday, or perhaps Tuesday!  One test we are hoping she fails....  She can't think of anywhere she might have picked up a bug as she is religious about wearing a mask, but did have to take it off at the periodontist last week.  

Anyway, we have cancelled all our activities for a few days, too, until we know what is going on with her.   I had planned to do some grocery shopping, but will try to put it off.  The only thing I am really low on is milk, I may have to ask a neighbour to pick some up for us, if they are going out.   Or I may just have to go without.  Or make up a list and get things delivered.  That might be better, I think I will stay very quiet about this until we know what it is.

@kazu and @richwmn, our Eurodam itinerary has evidently been changed for the October 18 cruise, too.  I just can't access it on my computer.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

@Vict0riann  Oh, Ann, I hope your DD feels better soon. I hope they find out what is ailing her, but that she is negative on that one test.

@JAM37  Glad you DH is feeling better.  Rest really seems to make a difference with this awful virus.  Hope he can get rid of the cough quickly.

@Horizon chaser 1957  I like the idea of checking the "wine cellar" for a bottle that needs special examination.  🍷 😀

@dobiemom  Glad you are enjoying your time in Seattle.  Have a great cruise.

@irishjim  Jim, sending good thoughts for your upcoming surgery.  Hope they can get it all without doing too much harm to your ear.

@KirkNC  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DD.  Enjoy your visit this weekend.

We don't have any bass in the house, although our lake s supposed to be the best bass fishing lake in Texas.  Instead, we'll have fish and chips cooked in the air fryer.  They will be good, but not nearly as good as any @grapau27 Graham and Pauline can get.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Vict0riann Oh, wow.  I hope your DD flunks the test as well.   Stay safe!

Thanks.  We are all double-vaccinated, so hopefully anything floating around will be very mild...

And thanks, too,  @Quartzsite Cruiser.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

DD who lives with us has not been feeling well, and the doctor decreed she go and get tested, so she has an appointment for 4 this afternoon.  Results should be back in 24 hours, but I'm not sure if that will mean Saturday, or perhaps Tuesday!

Oh dear Anne 😱  I hope your DD fails the test 🤞 You are wise to be cautious until the results come in.  Prayers that you all don’t have to deal with  covid 🙏🏻 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all, an interesting day and weekend coming up.  DD who lives with us has not been feeling well, and the doctor decreed she go and get tested, so she has an appointment for 4 this afternoon.  Results should be back in 24 hours, but I'm not sure if that will mean Saturday, or perhaps Tuesday!  One test we are hoping she fails....  She can't think of anywhere she might have picked up a bug as she is religious about wearing a mask, but did have to take it off at the periodontist last week.  

Anyway, we have cancelled all our activities for a few days, too, until we know what is going on with her.   I had planned to do some grocery shopping, but will try to put it off.  The only thing I am really low on is milk, I may have to ask a neighbour to pick some up for us, if they are going out.   Or I may just have to go without.  Or make up a list and get things delivered.  That might be better, I think I will stay very quiet about this until we know what it is.

@kazu and @richwmn, our Eurodam itinerary has evidently been changed for the October 18 cruise, too.  I just can't access it on my computer.  

🤞🙏.

Ann,I hope your DD has a negative test and feels better soon.

Graham.

• Like 6