cruising between chemo treatments

wwwcruisers

1 hour ago, wwwcruisers said:

Has anyone been on a cruise in between chemo treatments? Does Carnival require any paperwork from your doctor?

Following   I might or might know if I start soon. Love the answer to this.

Having been through aggressive chemotherapy and knowing what it temporarily did to my immune system, please make sure you discuss any cruise plans with your doctor.

Just an FYI: each chemo just takes a little bit more out of you and increases the time needed to feel whatever new normal will be as you wait for the next go round.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wwwcruisers said:

Has anyone been on a cruise in between chemo treatments? Does Carnival require any paperwork from your doctor?

If you don't tell Carnival, they will have no idea, so there's no need for a letter from your doctor.  The main thing is to ask your doctor if it's safe for you to do.

• Like 5

Another vote to discuss it with your doctor.

You are ineligible for Carnival insurance if you are undergoing treatment that limits or restricts your travel. That could be a problem if you decide to travel  without your doctor’s knowledge or permission.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

We just cancelled our September 25 cruise on doctors advice. He said your immune system will be very low.  Yes I'm extremely disappointed and deep into cruise withdrawal but I guess my dh is more important!

Hugs

This .. I cant Imagine taking the risk of a cruise where you are around lots of people. Very hard to board and not be around a crowd. I can't also I imagine any doctor saying ok. My cousin and her husband, hes going thru chemo and even before the variant did hikes and stuff on their own to avoid exposure. They dont eat inside restaurants.. a cruise is a floating restaurant. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3

I have been down the cancer road and to be honest with COVID, I would not risk it any time soon. But it is your choice as long as your doctor will certify you medically fit for travel. This is important if you are relying on travel insurance to help you if something goes wrong. 

• Like 2

Hi 

I can only speak about pre covid days. No questions asked. We spoke with my wife's doctors, who were good with our plans each time we traveled. The last time was on HAL even with oxygen, no questions or issues re documentation.

1 minute ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi 

I can only speak about pre covid days. No questions asked. We spoke with my wife's doctors, who were good with our plans each time we traveled. The last time was on HAL even with oxygen, no questions or issues re documentation.

Except now oxygen not allowed. Or dialysis.  

We’re you vaccinated before starting chemo? I wonder if this would make any difference with your doctor. Would sure be nice to be able to get away for a week but at this point fighting the cancer needs to take priority so you can have many cruises still in the future. No matter what, praying for the best outcome possible for you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wwwcruisers said:

Carnival doesn't ask for a note. If you're comfortable cruising with covid dangers and feeling physically (and emotionally) up to it AND your Dr. has said it's okay then go for it. 

There's a lot to consider but i 100% understand the need to get away during a stressful life event. 

1 hour ago, tree.critter said:

We’re you vaccinated before starting chemo? I wonder if this would make any difference with your doctor. Would sure be nice to be able to get away for a week but at this point fighting the cancer needs to take priority so you can have many cruises still in the future. No matter what, praying for the best outcome possible for you. 

we were  vaccinated before he started chemo, doctor said that has nothing to do with it your resistance is still down.

we've had so many cruises cancelled i hated to cancel this one but i would rather have my husband around.

hope you do what your hearts thinks you should

hugs

Thank you for posting this question.
I was wondering the exact same thing earlier today, in reference to my BFF.  
She has not cruised yet. It’s on our bucket list to get her on a ship. 
She just started chemo this week & its every 3 weeks. 
She has already been through 6 immunotherapy treatments. 

I would say no to the question because of having such a suppressed immune system. 
Everybody is different, some people may feel well enough to cruise. 
The mental & emotional rewards would be plentiful for sure. 
If is was me, I’d mask, sanitize it up, get on and in to my balcony room and have hubby play room/bar service and just sit on my balcony the whole time. Lol  

• Like 1

Hi wwwcruisers,  

I have cruised in the middle of chemo treatments.  I think I may be less nervous now than I was then (just my personal opinion!)  The pandemic has made people much more conscious of hand-washing and cleanliness than when I took the chance in 2017. 😀  I did get permission from my doctor before cruising and was able to stay healthy.  Here are the things I did that I think helped me be safe: 

1.  I took a box of disposable gloves and wore them anytime I touched things in public areas (handrails, elevator buttons, doors, buffet utensils, etc.).  Each time I removed them, I washed my hands or sanitized them if a hand washing station was not available.

2.  I wore a mask when I was in crowded areas. 

3. I was very conscious of applying sunscreen (chemo, at least the one I had, made me much more sensitive to the sun.)

4.  I carried and used hand sanitizer, in addition to washing my hands regularly.  

We had a wonderful time and it was exactly what I needed after a really rough few months of surgery and treatments.  

In the end, you have to make the decision that you feel happy and confident with.  That is different for everyone. Healing thoughts whatever choice you make! 

Edited by trdew

Chemo affects everyone differently and everyone reacts different.

I know when I did chemo years ago, doing the chemo was fine and didn't bother me. It was between the treatments that I felt like death. I couldn't get out of the bed the weeks after treatments. During the treatment weeks, I felt fine. 

6 hours ago, princess76021 said:

doctor did not ok for us 🤕 

we have to wait for March before i can start to hope again!!

until then i will be reading everyone elses cruises.

please keep them coming!!

hugs 

nicki

My doctor didn’t approve it for me back in 2012 either.  I’m glad it turned out that way because I was so sick between treatments that I was much better off at home.  I’m thinking healing thoughts for you as you have your chemo treatments.

1 hour ago, nwcruiselover said:

My doctor didn’t approve it for me back in 2012 either.  I’m glad it turned out that way because I was so sick between treatments that I was much better off at home.  I’m thinking healing thoughts for you as you have your chemo treatments.

Thank you! Hope you are well know! Continued prayers!

Hugs

Nicki