Labadee Cancelled Through November?

sharktums

Just got an email about Labadee cancelling for our November 20 cruise. I assume that means they've made the decision not to call there for any of their ships until at least December now. 

Slightly bummed they couldn't fit us into Coco Cay instead, but at least we now get Mexico instead of Nassau!

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 3.18.34 PM.png

Bummer.  I have not been to Labadee, and am looking forward to it for our December cruise.  Hopefully they will still port there for December. 😬

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not surprised about that after the earthquake. I'm sure it pains Royal Caribbean as much if not more than you. There was extra money to be made for them there. 

I had totally forgotten about that.

Well as I typed this, I just got an email that Labadee has been changed for our Mariner cruise in December.

Edited by TheBucketLister

26 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not surprised about that after the earthquake. I'm sure it pains Royal Caribbean as much if not more than you. There was extra money to be made for them there. 

The earthquake is secondary to the assassination of the President and continuing civil unrest with a current spike in drive by shootings, kidnappings and violent crimes by gangs. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I think Labadee and Cayman will both be gone till sometime 2022

Royal is taking its time on Cayman too. They said months ago no cruises until at least the end of Jan 2022, yet the Dec cruise I just booked still has it on the itinerary. Speculation on where it'll go for that...no where real fun likely. Oh well. 

14 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Are you saying you were notified that Mariner in Dec. won't be going to Labadee?

Correct,  we just got the email (forwarded from our TA) that on our Mariner 12/04/21 sailing they would be switching out the Labadee port for Cozumel due to "the current political and security situation in Haiti"

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Labadee was already removed from our October 10 cruise due to civil unrest long before the earthquake hit. The earthquake only exacerbated an already untenable situation in Haiti.

Very sad for the people of Haiti.    They don't seem to get a break and continue to have issues with earthquakes / hurricanes then political unrest.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Royal is taking its time on Cayman too. They said months ago no cruises until at least the end of Jan 2022, yet the Dec cruise I just booked still has it on the itinerary. Speculation on where it'll go for that...no where real fun likely. Oh well. 

Cayman is on my Dec Odyssey sailing also....sure it will turn into Nassau or CocoCay

I love Haiti. Been there a few times for work, and once to Labadee too. But yeah, between the political situation and the earthquake, now is not a good time to go...and I am sure their insurers agree. I bet it will be quite some time until they're back, which is a shame for the Haitians that make their money off of Labadee. 

The Cruise Ticket Contract advises that they can change ports of call with no notice, and thus are not eligible for any cancellation/refund of non-refundable cruise fare.  However depending on the port, port charges/taxes/fees could change.  However the exception, like you mentioned, is Cruise with Confidence.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Without Cruise with Confidence; what does RCL normally do as far as customer service.  If a customer wants to cancel due to the itinerary change - do they refund?   I know they do next to nothing in the case of a hurricane, etc while on the cruise, but pre cruise?    Seems like you are selecting a cruise based upon destination; if it changes you should get the option to cancel no?

Not in my Experience. Yrs ago or Months ago, Stops changed and even substituted a Sister Ship, no Refund just FCC if you cancel

8 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

That's what a figured.  Typical anti-consumer policy.    It is interesting though... why advertise an itinerary if they can change it without penalty.  Why not just advertise, 7-Day Cruise, starting / ending in Miami.  🙂

For that matter, why specify the ship that will be waiting for you as they can change it? At one time the contract used to even say that they didn't even guarentee the sea worthiness of the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Priszm said:

So weird, my Nov. 3rd 4 night still shows Labadee. The weird part is your cruise is after mine and you've gotten notification already. 

Did you book through a travel agent?  Travel Agents get the itinerary change email, not the passengers.  Plus it takes RC forever to update their website sometimes.  So if you did book through a TA, they more than likely haven't forwarded it to you yet.  If not, then Ocean Boy is right, there is no rhyme or reason for how or why RC does some of the things they do.

4 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I love Haiti. Been there a few times for work, and once to Labadee too. But yeah, between the political situation and the earthquake, now is not a good time to go...and I am sure their insurers agree. I bet it will be quite some time until they're back, which is a shame for the Haitians that make their money off of Labadee. 

Last few times DH was there he had to wear a bullet proof vest (military). I only found out because I saw it in the trunk of his car. 😳. Not the greatest place to go sometimes.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

Our December Vision cruise was cancelled by Royal Caribbean. We were looking forward to Labadee and other ports. But I guess I am kind of glad it has been cancelled now. Too much uncertainty with Haiti and cruising in general this year. We are looking forward to early next year and sailing out of California. :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, Deez123 said:

That's what a figured.  Typical anti-consumer policy.    It is interesting though... why advertise an itinerary if they can change it without penalty.  Why not just advertise, 7-Day Cruise, starting / ending in Miami.  🙂

Missed/Changed dozens Ports last 30+ yrs. Hurricanes, Winds, Earthquake, Civil War and Many Medical Emergencies. Last one at times causing Ship speed up, slow down, turn around, had at least 4 Medical Emergencies just on my last Cruise. 

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Very sad for the people of Haiti.    They don't seem to get a break and continue to have issues with earthquakes / hurricanes then political unrest.    

It's been like that for years. Makes you wonder why Royal set up camp there.