Speculating when "Fully Vaccinated" means having the "3rd" booster shot.

MikeKl

17 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

I have no idea. The vaccine doesnt even work. We took the vaccine to cruise and just tested positive. Had to cancel our cruise on Sunday! First time vaccinated in 20 years and yipee!

if you don't die, the vaccine worked. It doesn't preclude you from contracting covid, but it drastically reduces the chances you will need hospitalization or die.

I see that I HIPPOED. Oh, well. Doesn't change my message.

We'll get the booster about 9 months after our second shots. My parents may get it a month sooner, in November. They are over 70.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 3

I am sure a booster would be helpful when I reach the 1 year mark since the virus is STILL filling our hospitals. we have so many unvaccinated people (and refuse to wear masks) that I worry about MY status. I received my first dose December 2020 (I am an RN. was working at the time and now I am retired). I would like to stay protected! even if RCI doesn't make it mandatory, it would make me feel safer to get a booster.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Reading the vaccine requirement language carefully, it does require 14 days since the last dose. Be aware of that if you are scheduling a third dose in advance of a cruise. I am not sure how that would be interpreted if you showed up a week after your booster.

13 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Since the current definition of fully vaccinated is “2 doses of mRNA vaccine or one dose of adenovirus” a 3rd shot less than 14 days prior to embarkation would make no difference on ability to board. 

DH got his third shot last week they wanted it done before his radiation starts the day after we get back from vacation.   I didn't want the confusion on Sunday and they created a new card for him so I just kept the old card for this cruise.  Glad to hear that the port staff has figured it out but wasn't going to depend on that when I could easily avoid it.

49 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

So, if I have gotten both shots, but don't think the booster is really necessary at this point, does that make me an "anti-vaccer"? (Sarcasm)

Unless you have a severely compromised immune system, it means you are exactly following the current guidelines. For all the talk about booster shots, they have yet to be recommended for the average person, at least not in the US. 

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I just got my booster last Saturday at CVS. Very easy. Set up an appointment though CVS, gave ID and insurance and got the shot. In and out in 5 minutes.

HOW did you do that because they aren't even available  yet? Did you show your vaccine card,or did you just go in like you didn't get the shot? People are doing that now just to get a third shot.It was on the news last week about people lying about getting the shot so they can get a third one!! Just curious!!!!

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

I concur.  If they're filling ships to 35-50% now, what will another 'hoop' drive that number down to?

We, as hard-core cruisers, will go thru a lot to get on a ship; the general public?  Probably not.  So many vacation options out there, and many of them don't necessitate these ridiculous protocols.  Heck, even Celebrity is an attractive option....hope RCCG realizes that in the near future.

Never mind the general public. There are long time CC members such as myself who will not book anything until this situation changes. Every time I see a great cruise price and there have been quite a few lately, I come to CC to snap me out of the idea of booking. Truth be told they lost me at masks. Now that's the very least of the problems.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Never mind the general public. There are long time CC members such as myself who will not book anything until this situation changes. Every time I see a great cruise price and there have been quite a few lately, I come to CC to snap me out of the idea of booking. Truth be told they lost me at masks. Now that's the very least of the problems.

Concur.  Just booked an AK balcony for a little over $500 for both of us.....insane.  They lost me at masks as well, but somehow found me....sadly, I expect it'll be a 'one-n-done'.

And no, I don't need the advice of those who claim  'you'll get what you expect' lol.  I'm a realist, understand the ridiculous protocols we're accepting, and will analyze the experience when it's complete.  Who knows...with expectations so low, we may actually exceed them 🙂 

2 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Concur.  Just booked an AK balcony for a little over $500 for both of us.....insane.  They lost me at masks as well, but somehow found me....sadly, I expect it'll be a 'one-n-done'.

And no, I don't need the advice of those who claim  'you'll get what you expect' lol.  I'm a realist, understand the ridiculous protocols we're accepting, and will analyze the experience when it's complete.  Who knows...with expectations so low, we may actually exceed them 🙂 

It's an easy decision for you since you live in Florida. I won't fly to port to cruise during these times and there isn't much choice for us in the northeast that would make the new experience worth wild. I'm not boarding a ship in NY to sail to Florida.  I have a flight booked for October and will just spend the week there to see family and friends. My son and DIL are moving there in November and we are looking to relocate there in the near future so our vacation time is being spent on that right now. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

HOW did you do that because they aren't even available  yet?

I did not lie at all. I showed them my vaccination card which had the dates of my other two doses. I qualify because of my age and being immune compromised. Here is the portion on CVS's website that alerted me I could get the third dose.

"Who qualifies for an additional dose?

On August 12, the FDA authorized an additional vaccine dose for certain immunocompromised individuals as part of its Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) amendment. The amendment applies to the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for patients 12 years and older and the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine for patients 18 years and older. Due to insufficient data, the EUA amendment for an additional dose does not apply to the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine or to individuals who received the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine as a primary series. The CDC and FDA are actively engaged to ensure that immunocompromised individuals who received the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine have optimal vaccine protection and we expect to hear more guidance in the near future."

https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I did not lie at all. I showed them my vaccination card which had the dates of my other two doses. I qualify because of my age and being immune compromised. Here is the portion on CVS's website that alerted me I could get the third dose.

"Who qualifies for an additional dose?

On August 12, the FDA authorized an additional vaccine dose for certain immunocompromised individuals as part of its Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) amendment. The amendment applies to the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for patients 12 years and older and the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine for patients 18 years and older. Due to insufficient data, the EUA amendment for an additional dose does not apply to the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine or to individuals who received the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine as a primary series. The CDC and FDA are actively engaged to ensure that immunocompromised individuals who received the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine have optimal vaccine protection and we expect to hear more guidance in the near future."

https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine

That's great then. Good for you, I can't wait to get my booster shot, hopefully soon!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

That's great then. Good for you, I can't wait to get my booster shot, hopefully soon!

Yes I was surprised when my wife found the information. There are 3rd does out there and ready you just need to find out where. 

That is a pretty low bar for declaring the vaccine to work, since some number close to 99% of the people in general survive.

Logic is important and a single result is not proof of anything ever.

sigh

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk
Hit quote on the wrong post
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

I have no idea. The vaccine doesnt even work. We took the vaccine to cruise and just tested positive. Had to cancel our cruise on Sunday! First time vaccinated in 20 years and yipee!

Sure it does. The vaccine does not prevent you from getting COVID. It keeps you from getting seriously ill when you catch it. Wearing a mask,  distancing, and laying low for the 2 weeks before your cruise keeps you from testing positive when you test. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

No vaccine protects you from becoming infected.

5 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Right... I never said otherwise. I was just commenting that it was never touted as such.

It's evolved over time.  Originally, yes it was touted as "highly effective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections in real-world conditions among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential workers."  The Delta variant appears to have changed such.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0329-COVID-19-Vaccines.html

Unfortunately, we just are not provided enough of the data (at this time) to make informed risk assessments on our own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I could swear I saw something on MSC website that said that the last covid shot cannot be older than 270 days or something to that effect. Since we are presumably sailing with MSC in April 2022, a booster around January time frame should be just fine.

That's pretty agressive of them considering the booster isn't even available to everyone yet. 

7 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

It's evolved over time.  Originally, yes it was touted as "highly effective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections in real-world conditions among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential workers."  The Delta variant appears to have changed such.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0329-COVID-19-Vaccines.html

Unfortunately, we just are not provided enough of the data (at this time) to make informed risk assessments on our own.

Highly effective is still not 100% effective. I am ready for the booster when I qualify. Going to get my flu shot today!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

No one has mentioned any side effects from the booster?  Just curious.  I will get my booster hopefully 3 weeks before we sail as I qualify.  

My 87 year-old immunocompromised Dad got his 3rd Moderna shot last Friday and said all he felt was tired the next day. He had slight flu like symptoms after shot 2.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Unless you have a severely compromised immune system, it means you are exactly following the current guidelines. For all the talk about booster shots, they have yet to be recommended for the average person, at least not in the US. 

Although it’s an unpopular choice, I would rather the poorer countries that we all love to travel to, get their initial shots, before I take a booster. But I’m also not immunocompromised, so I understand those that do take the 3rd shot. I also had Covid in June, so I’m in no hurry for a 3rd shot.

16 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Although it’s an unpopular choice, I would rather the poorer countries that we all love to travel to, get their initial shots, before I take a booster. But I’m also not immunocompromised, so I understand those that do take the 3rd shot. I also had Covid in June, so I’m in no hurry for a 3rd shot.

I was reading today that those that got covid and then had 2 shots show the best immunity.  I’m sure you’re not far behind.  Natural immunity is by far the best if you live through it with no after affects.  That last part is the kicker since we know those who have died or will never be the same health wise.

19 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

The vaccine does work.  It doesn’t  make you immune. It protects most people from hospitalization and death.