The Daily for Friday September 10, 2021

richwmn

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, I'm so late today!  I may have to get used to being late because I finally talked DH into going back to our Sun City gym, and we did that this morning.  We walked over and back which is a 2.5 mile walk so no treadmill needed.  I've been wanting to get back over there to use all the weight machines (about 15 of them).  Instead DH was looking online for a piece of equipment for our own home that would take the place of going to the gym.  We looked at one in person and I just didn't feel it was going to be sturdy enough or easy enough to use.  We went to the Sun City gym 6 days a week from 2012 through 2019 except while cruising.  I had muscles you wouldn't believe!  Now I have none so this morning I tried to be gentle on myself but I know I will be aching the next couple of days.  One machine, an upper chest press, I couldn't even lift 20 lbs on it and that is the minimum weight! It was always the hardest machine so I have a long way to go.  I'll keep you all updated as we progress.  💪

So good morning to all!  I have several hours before I leave for the laryngoscopy.  Surprisingly, I'm not nervous about it.  I have no idea how it will feel so maybe that's why I'm not worried yet.  Thank you @kazu, @cat shepard, @JAM37, @ger_77and all others who wished me well.  @Horizon chaser 1957what a nice gift from your unofficial son!  So thoughtful!  Enjoy it!  @mamaofamiI hope Sam is doing okay now.  Sorry for his latest trouble and I'm sure you didn't need any more worries, either.  @rafinmdgood luck failing your Covid test today!  Thanks also for placing me on the Care list and I send prayers to all on there who are in need of them.  Cheers to the Celebration list as well.

As for the days, menu suggestion, and port of call, I have not been to Cascade on Norfolk Island, Australia.  So many new ports in Australia to see.  I'll have to find out which ship HAL is sending to all these new places.  I hope to see some nice photos today of Norfolk Island.  The menu suggestion looks great.  Thanks @kazufor taking over the food department for @dfish.  I hope Debbie and sister have a wonderful time.  

As for sewing machine day, I do own one and have used it here and there.  Lately it's only use was constructing the cross stitch Christmas stockings but during the pandemic I haven't done any work on my stocking.  It's just sitting in a drawer while I peruse CC all day.  That has got to change!  Swap ideas day sounds like a constructive way to get things done.  And TV dinner day, well I haven't had one of those in many, many years.  I admit as a child they weren't too bad, but I'm sure things have changed since then. 

Sorry to go on and on.  So much to talk about sometimes.  I'll let you all know later how the test went.  I'm not sure if they will tell me anything today or not, but I hope so.  It would be great if I knew of a way to fix this cough.  Have a great Friday everyone! 

So true. Use it or lose muscle tone. Thanks getting off my butt and going for a walk!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

A couple updates from me.  I didn't see it in the daily yesterday but it looks like Zuiderdam restart has been delayed until December.  It looks like both @irishjim and @Cruising-along had September bookings.

I am scheduled for a Covid test this afternoon.  No special reason but I have a high school reunion in upstate New York next weekend.

Roy

Roy just to let you know my cruise is not until september 2022.

Jim.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thank you for our Daily Rich. Have had a lot of new Daily-ites since you started this spinoff from the Fleet Report. 

Prayers for Roy and Sandi's testing today. Bon Voyage tomorrow to our Debbie and sister. Thank you Jacqui for the additional task of the Daily meal recipe. We are meeting friends for dinner tonight,  so not sure what's on the menu.

For Sandi:

image.png.4e4cd5fe9ddbd1c20eef4814a912ae83.png

Had friends over for a night cap after Mahjongg last night. There were 7 of us. We invited our neighbors next Wednesday to have Birthday cake and ice cream for 2 neighbor ladies that have the same birth date. We've spread the word and will end up with about 30. Lucky we have neighbors that don't mind pitching in.

Tomorrow there's a jazz band playing at our amphitheater for a few hours. It's just nice to get away from the TV for a bit. The September 11th specials have been heartbreaking even after 20 years.

Have a great weekend. Blessings, Cheers and Prayers. 

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Prayers for Roy and Sandi's testing today. Bon Voyage tomorrow to our Debbie and sister. Thank you Jacqui for the additional task of the Daily meal recipe. We are meeting friends for dinner tonight,  so not sure what's on the menu.

For Sandi:

image.png.4e4cd5fe9ddbd1c20eef4814a912ae83.png

Oh man!  I would love to wear that to the gym!  True as well as cute!

Thanks for the prayers. Joy! 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll have a microwave dinner occasionally which I think is the modern equivalent of the TV dinner.  A big salute to sewing machines and Swapping Ideas.  I like the Benchley quote.  I haven't been to Norfolk Island although think I was scheduled there once but diverted due to weather.  I'll pass on the shrimp.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but contuing to show improvement
Allen;s biopsy result
dfish friend Donna in hip surgery instead of cruising
StLouisCruiser larngoscopy
Kb4863 awaiting covid test results after possible exposure
Lady Hudson’s BIL recovering from nasty fall
From the rotation:
irishjim awaiting surgery for ear cancer September 14
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard Jajmd
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
good pathology for durangoscots
Cruisin single’s conversation with radiologist (and negative covid test)
dfish and Sue in Seattle meeting Cruising0Along
Notseh2o visit with mom
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
HorizonChaser1957 free of timeshare
Getaway for segarsmoker
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the lists.  I also pass on shrimp.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good Friday morning.  I gave my sewing machine away when we moved south.  I swap ideas daily with my fellow card makers.  And we haven't had a TV dinner in decades.  Do eat some frozen but not a whole dinner.  Interesting Benchley quote.  Love the menu suggestion, will wait for Kazu's recipe to print.  Have not been to today's port, will wait for the photo's.

Major prayers for our care list and loud shout-outs to the celebration list.  Prayers for all our travelers heading to the ports for their fabulous cruises on our BHB.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Gimlet:

The gimlet is a cocktail made of gin and lime juice. A 1928 description of the drink was: gin, and a spot of lime. The description in the 1953 Raymond Chandler novel The Long Goodbye stated that "a real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's lime juice cordial and nothing else." Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin
Ingredients: Four parts Gin, One part sweetened Lime Juice
Preparation: Mix and serve. Garnish with a slice of lime.
Served: Straight or on the rocks
Standard garnish: Lime
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 3.12.07 PM.png

I have heard of this drink but I never had one.

Ely Whitney told his wife:  Get your cotton pickin hands  off my gin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

38 minutes ago, Himself said:

I have heard of this drink but I never had one.

Ely Whitney told his wife:  Get your cotton pickin hands  off my gin.

I'm right there with old Ely -- nobody messes with MY gin 🍸

BTW, I did get it 👍

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

It is 16.50pm 68°F and raining here.

I think we all swap ideas on here and learn a lot.

My late mam was a machinist in her early twenties and had a nice sewing machine.

I watch Gordon Ramsay fixing restaurants on TV and he also produces lovely TV meals.

Quite an unusual quote today.

Nice food and drink but never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 20

There will be lots of links for today's alternate menu selection.  Crystal Serenity has 2 premium specialty restaurants with a charge (after limited free visits), Silk Road (Now Umi Uma) and Prego.  On September 10, 2016 I dined in Prego.  First the MDR menu:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/menu0910.pdf

and the Prego Menu:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/prego.pdf

My choices that day were Prego Caesar Salad, Lasagna alla caralinga, and White Peach Sorbet.

Here's the Lasagna:

pregolasagna.jpg

I don't have a photo of the sorbet and deserts are on a separate menu.  Here's the Prego desert menu:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/pregodesert.pdf

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I have 2 sewing machines. My mother's that is in a cabinet and a portable one. I only can do basic stuff, but my mother was excellent and made great suits and other clothes. It's great to swap ideas. I remember the old TV dinners; I'll occasionally have a newer version if not up to cooking.

Funny quote.

I do like the shrimp dish (about the only seafood I'll eat). I'll pass on the gimlet and take the wine.

I have been to Australia, but not today's port.

The weather is nice today, after rain off and on yesterday. I'll need to get the lawn mowed soon.

@mamaofami I'm glad Sam is ok, and that you checked with his doctors. I went once for foot pain and they missed a stress fracture. Luckily I got in with an Orthopedic doctor who found it.

@kazu Thanks for taking on the recipe duties!

@StLouisCruisers I hope your test goes well and you get an answer.

@JAM37 It sounds like it will take a while for your DH to get his stamina back. Hoping the cough goes away soon.

@rafinmd Good luck with the test.

@Horizon chaser 1957 What a thoughtful gift!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask if needed.

• Like 21

Good morning all!

We have a cloud cover that will last all day, and temperatures down 10-12 degrees from what it has been.  Everyone here is thankful, it's feeling more like "home" with clouds and lower temps. 😉  

I do have a sewing machine, but don't use it much anymore. In fact DD borrowed it, so it's been at her home for a few months.

I remember having TV dinners as a child, and loved the chicken, corn, mashed potatoes and apple dessert one.  We only had them on the nights my parents were square dancing, so once/week my sisters and I would have them.  

The meal sounds great, shrimp in any form is always welcome in our house.  Never been to Australia, maybe some day...it was our first Covid canceled cruise in 2020 and haven't had the heart to rebook it.

Will be leaving for Seattle in a couple hours to meet Debbie and Sue for lunch!  I'm terrible at selfies, but if one of us can take a photo, will post it later today.

@StLouisCruisers I hope you get some answers today!

@rafinmd good luck with your test, hope you fail 🙂  

@kazuthank you for taking over the meals and recipes while Debbie is on a BHB 🙂  

• Like 20

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

There will be lots of links for today's alternate menu selection.  Crystal Serenity has 2 premium specialty restaurants with a charge (after limited free visits), Silk Road (Now Umi Uma) and Prego.  On September 10, 2016 I dined in Prego.  First the MDR menu:

and the Prego Menu:

My choices that day were Prego Caesar Salad, Lasagna alla caralinga, and White Peach Sorbet.

Here's the Lasagna:

pregolasagna.jpg

I don't have a photo of the sorbet and deserts are on a separate menu.  Here's the Prego desert menu:

Roy

Roy it always amazes me how you have categorized your cruises and down to meals eaten. You are a true Cruise Addict!😁👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 14

FYI… This is contrary from what we read and see on news.

When we had our Senior flu shots Wednesday at a CVS pharmacy I asked about a Pfizer booster shot. They asked when we had our second vaccine dose? If it had been over 8 months since we had our second vaccine shot we could have scheduled an appointment.

So if you want a booster it seems like you can get one if you meet the 8 month criteria; at least at the pharmacy we use.

Just passing on and you may want to check with your local pharmacy.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 7

Well... I kinda found out what's going on with our odd offer.  

Our original chosen cabin for the 1st 3 weeks 8090 (Rotterdam) is under going a configuration change and was not supposed to be in the inventory. Our 4th and 5th week is in cabin 8117.

The HAL supervisor told me they are going to try to put us in 1 cabin the whole 5 weeks and we may go from a vista to signature for no extra cost.

I don't understand why we can't just keep the cabin and wait til the room is done, but she said it's been pulled for now. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Well... I kinda found out what's going on with our odd offer.  

Our original chosen cabin for the 1st 3 weeks 8090 (Rotterdam) is under going a configuration change and was not supposed to be in the inventory. Our 4th and 5th week is in cabin 8117.

The HAL supervisor told me they are going to try to put us in 1 cabin the whole 5 weeks and we may go from a vista to signature for no extra cost.

I don't understand why we can't just keep the cabin and wait til the room is done, but she said it's been pulled for now. 

Hey if you end up with a Signature Suite for free, that’s a good deal 😉 

• Like 13

Good morning, Dailyites!  I had just started reading when DH called me away for exercise class.  Now I'm worn out and the day is just beginning.  We are going to bottle wine this morning, also Pat wants to take me to Canadian Tire to have a look at their metal water bottles, if we are not allowed plastic any more on the ships.  We now have our BC QR codes/vaccination certificates printed out and also photos in our photo libraries and in "Notes".  We are definitely not going to lose them, another errand today is to get the print-outs laminated.   Net week the ruling starts that to enter a "non-essential" venue, restaurants, movie theatres, etc., you have to prove you are vaccinated.  

We have not been to the port of the day - the closest we've been was these Norfolk Island pines at the Sydney, Australia airport...

CIMG1448.JPG

Forgot to add my good wishes for @StLouisCruisers tests, also Roy's and definitely for @mamaofami having a difficult time,  and @JAM37 and both your DHs!

What a lot is going on!  We got an email from HAL last night to say we will need to be tested before entering Italy next month.  We had planned to do it anyway before we travel, but now we have to make sure we get the results in good time.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 17

Good afternoon.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I'm late today, already had a busy morning.  A bad storm went through here Tuesday night, knocked down several trees and took the power out for the whole town for almost a day.  Fortunately for us, we were at our trailer in a different part of the province.  So, we managed to get back home today to check things - luckily everything okay, a few small branches down and I'll have to throw out a bunch of food from the fridge.  I think we may invest in a generator (hope I win the lottery).

Interesting collection of days.  I donated my sewing machine a few years ago.   I love to swap ideas.  I haven't had a TV dinner in years, I used to like those ones with the salisbury steak and mashed potatoes.   Love the quote.  The meal sounds good to me, I'll save that recipe for another day.   I wish I was on a BHB sipping a gimlet.  The wine sounds good too.

@StLouisCruisers I hope your test goes well, and you get some answers.

@rafinmd  Good luck with your test.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, irishjim said:

Roy just to let you know my cruise is not until september 2022.

Jim.

Good luck on your covid test, Ijust know you will fail.I had a covid test todaa at 11 am pre op on tuesday.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, I'm so late today!  I may have to get used to being late because I finally talked DH into going back to our Sun City gym, and we did that this morning.  We walked over and back which is a 2.5 mile walk so no treadmill needed.  I've been wanting to get back over there to use all the weight machines (about 15 of them).  Instead DH was looking online for a piece of equipment for our own home that would take the place of going to the gym.  We looked at one in person and I just didn't feel it was going to be sturdy enough or easy enough to use.  We went to the Sun City gym 6 days a week from 2012 through 2019 except while cruising.  I had muscles you wouldn't believe!  Now I have none so this morning I tried to be gentle on myself but I know I will be aching the next couple of days.  One machine, an upper chest press, I couldn't even lift 20 lbs on it and that is the minimum weight! It was always the hardest machine so I have a long way to go.  I'll keep you all updated as we progress.  💪

So good morning to all!  I have several hours before I leave for the laryngoscopy.  Surprisingly, I'm not nervous about it.  I have no idea how it will feel so maybe that's why I'm not worried yet.  Thank you @kazu, @cat shepard, @JAM37, @ger_77and all others who wished me well.  @Horizon chaser 1957what a nice gift from your unofficial son!  So thoughtful!  Enjoy it!  @mamaofamiI hope Sam is doing okay now.  Sorry for his latest trouble and I'm sure you didn't need any more worries, either.  @rafinmdgood luck failing your Covid test today!  Thanks also for placing me on the Care list and I send prayers to all on there who are in need of them.  Cheers to the Celebration list as well.

As for the days, menu suggestion, and port of call, I have not been to Cascade on Norfolk Island, Australia.  So many new ports in Australia to see.  I'll have to find out which ship HAL is sending to all these new places.  I hope to see some nice photos today of Norfolk Island.  The menu suggestion looks great.  Thanks @kazufor taking over the food department for @dfish.  I hope Debbie and sister have a wonderful time.  

As for sewing machine day, I do own one and have used it here and there.  Lately it's only use was constructing the cross stitch Christmas stockings but during the pandemic I haven't done any work on my stocking.  It's just sitting in a drawer while I peruse CC all day.  That has got to change!  Swap ideas day sounds like a constructive way to get things done.  And TV dinner day, well I haven't had one of those in many, many years.  I admit as a child they weren't too bad, but I'm sure things have changed since then. 

Sorry to go on and on.  So much to talk about sometimes.  I'll let you all know later how the test went.  I'm not sure if they will tell me anything today or not, but I hope so.  It would be great if I knew of a way to fix this cough.  Have a great Friday everyone! 

Hi Sandi.

Pauline and I are sending you our prayers 🙏 and very best wishes for your Laryngoscopy today.

We pray they can find a simple solution for your cough and everything is fine with you.

Sincerely.

Graham and Pauline x

• Like 11

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

and the Prego Menu:

Here's the Lasagna:

pregolasagna.jpg

Roy

Good luck with  your covid19 test Roy.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from central Texas.  Even in Texas which is still hot by northern and "frozen tundra" standards, we are beginning to see signs of fall.  Our overnight temperatures have dropped from the upper 70s- and lower 80sF, by about ten degrees.  The daytime temps are lower and are predicted to be even lower next week, and the best part is our humidity is definitely lower and more comfortable.

After yesterday, I slept in this morning and then caught up on some chores.  

I have a sewing machine here and one in Quartzsite, but they are mainly used for mending projects now.  I did make some of the DDs clothes doll clothes and Halloween costumes when they were little.  It is good to swap ideas, and we do that regularly on the Daily.  We had tv dinners when we first married and both worked and did not feel like cooking.  There are some frozen, microwave dinners that are good in a pinch, but we have not had them in quite a few years.

The quote today is interesting to say the least.

We'll pass on the drink, but DFIL would fix them occasionally.  And I think we'll skip the wine, too.  It has been years since we've grilled shrimp, and I might do that in a few days, but not marinate them.  We used to season them with paprika and other herbs and then grill them.  Maybe I'll remember exactly what we did before we put them on the grill.  Tonight il will be grilled chicken thighs, deviled eggs, fresh corn-on-the-cob and key lime pie to go with our wine.

We have not been to today's port.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, good luck with your test, and I hope it gives you some answers.

@cat shepard  Ann, great you bird of paradise is blooming.

@mamaofami  Carol, hope Sam is feeling better and glad you checked with his doctors.  Good luck with the insurance ladey.

@kazu  Again, thanks for filling in for @dfish Debbie.

@smitty34877  Terry, I just saw your complete signature and noticed we were on the 2017 Prinsendam cruise together.  I wonder if we met at the M&G or later.

@Horizon chaser 1957 What a lovely basket of fruit from your unofficial son.  Glad you got a cabin for the 2023 world cruise, even if it is not your preferred one.  Be careful walking in the woods!

@rafinmd  Roy, good luck failing your test.  Enjoy your reunion.  Mine from last year still has not been rescheduled, but I can wait until things get better.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I learn something every day.  I've seen Norfolk pines, but did not no where they got their name and where they originated.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, enjoy your lunch with @dfish Debbie and her sister.

Now, it's time to catch up on paperwork that has been ignorred all week.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon Everyone from a warm and cloudy day at the beach

I am really late today. I have macular degeneration in my left eye. I receive shots in the eye and this morning was my treatment. After the shot, vision is very blurry and light sensitive so I just go home, pull the blinds and wait. Not complaining because it is saving my sight! My vision is 20/30 not corrected so all is well.

Norfolk Island is on our scheduled Australian circumnavigation in 2022. Sure hope it goes! We are planning to play golf there, suppose to be beautiful!

@StLouisCruisers Hope all goes well with your test today. Strong thoughts headed your way.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1