The Key - Worth it?

Just sailed Allure in August, and bought the Drink Package with VOOM Surf and Stream for $71/day, used the internet everyday and beyond got our money's worth from the drink package...FYI The Key was not offered on that sailing

Question is, we're sailing on Harmony OTS in April, and were thinking of doing the same package, but since The Key is offered at $27.99, would it be worth it as a benefit to us if we just took the Beverage Package at $58 AND The Key?  Figuring that the Internet is $13 with the above mentioned package, The Key would only be and additional $14 pp/pd.  Is it worth the extra $14?  We already bought the UDP, so the Welcome lunch with Chops would probably be included?

Just trying to rationalize if we should book it or not...Thoughts from "the experts"?????

13 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

The Key would only be and additional $14 pp/pd.  Is it worth the extra $14?

A BIG NO. The only time it may be worth it is if you had planned to get a two device VOOM package and the Key is within like $2-3/day of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the Key on my last cruise.  But I was solo.

The departure lunch in the MDR was nice.  Especially since they will take your carry on and put it in your cabin while you eat.

The priority disembarkation at ports and at the end of the cruise was also nice.

For 2 or more, I would have to think about it a bit more.

Not worth the expense to us either.  But it is different as we already get priority disembarkation since we are Diamond Plus and we get 4 days of free internet for the 2 of us.  Some love the Key, but I would say more people say it is not worth it than those that say it is worth it.

• Like 1

I would say it really depends on the ship, what's important to you, and how much more than your planned purchases The Key costs. For us on an Oasis class like Harmony we would get The Key mainly for the "VIP seating" at shows. This is because we: A) Like to see all the shows and B) in absence of The Key would line up early to get good seats. The extra cost of The Key (over the internet package we were already going to purchase) was worth it to us, if for nothing else, to not have to line up early for the shows. YWMV

3 hours ago, karena1 said:

Not worth the expense to us either.  But it is different as we already get priority disembarkation since we are Diamond Plus and we get 4 days of free internet for the 2 of us.  Some love the Key, but I would say more people say it is not worth it than those that say it is worth it.

Must agree with you. D+ negates much of those perks. Why pay for something you already get? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Just saw on our FB group that The Key was cancelled for our 10/17 Allure cruise

We didn’t even have the option on Allure last month.  While sailing with 1500 on an Oasis Class ship there were no lines for anything so it wouldn’t be worth it but don’t know the capacity in April when I’m sailing again..

I have it for my upcoming Freedom cruise, because it was actually cheaper to get The Key than it was to get Voom S&S!  

But in your case, I see no real reason to get it -- you are already getting Chops lunch if you want it from the UDP, and lines aren't an issue at the current capacity levels.

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

I have it for my upcoming Freedom cruise, because it was actually cheaper to get The Key than it was to get Voom S&S!  

That is a good deal.

And similar to why I got it.  It was only a couple of dollars a day more than Voom.

1 hour ago, RKHOOKER said:

The real advantage of the key is jump the queue at tender port disembarkation.  Beats getting out of bed at 6AM & lining up for tender tickets.

Not much of an issue yet as the out of the US I don’t recall any ships calling on tender ports and even if they did, the low capacity would mean few backups. 

• Like 1

I got the key for my husband and I for an Adventure sailing in November, 2021.  $16.99 per person for 5 days.  2 device S/S is running at $28.49.  Add in the Chops lunch at $22.99 which we like to do on each sailing if available, and it was cheaper to get the Key.  The Key was $169.90.  The 2 device package plus chops lunch is $188.43.  Pretty much a no brainer especially if I will use both the meal and the internet.  The other items are just a bonus for us.

This cruise if it sails, has given us quite a few surprises.  One being the availability at this stage 60 plus days out of aft balcony cabins at pretty decent prices.  I was able to get an aft on deck 10 for not much more than the oceanview cabins.  The Key has just been a nice addition IF it stays and IF the ship sails.

Edited by jean87510