Switching guests in rooms

ChristyS

My mother and I are booked in an aquatheater suite. My husband booked a balcony room 6doors away as a surprise . I want my husband to be able to enjoy suite perks that my mom wouldn’t . My travel agent said just switch cards once onboard. Will this really work? He enjoys the suite lounge and coastal kitchen mostly .

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

No, switch the actual names on the reservations, so hubby is in with you and Mom is in his room.  

You can get extra keys so that Mom can still get into the suite, but she won't have the fancy "Suite" card.

Likely they are seperate to get balcony discount mom isn't eligble for

1 hour ago, ChristyS said:

My mother and I are booked in an aquatheater suite. My husband booked a balcony room 6doors away as a surprise . I want my husband to be able to enjoy suite perks that my mom wouldn’t . My travel agent said just switch cards once onboard. Will this really work? He enjoys the suite lounge and coastal kitchen mostly .

Go to the GS desk and ask for extra keys.  That way he can have a key for your room and she can have a key for his cabin.

30 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Likely they are seperate to get balcony discount mom isn't eligble for

If so then maybe they should just forget the balcony discount and put mom in the balcony...Or...why can't they forget the balcony and book DH in the suite with them. Just changing cards isn't going to work...the DH will not be able to get the suite benefits if he's not booked in a suite.

And what's crazy is the OP's TA gave them incorrect info about just switching cards !!!!!

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ChristyS said:

I would move all three of you to the AquaTheater suite.  Cancel the balcony.  No penalty now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I would move all three of you to the AquaTheater suite.  Cancel the balcony.  No penalty now.

Agreed, unless your husband and mother don't get along, or husband/mother don't want to sleep on the sofa bed (if in 1 bedroom ATS)! 😉  Even though there is no penalty, you would unfortunately still have to deal with FCC.  So that may not be worth it to you.  But more than likely, the cost of adding him with all the benefits, would be less than what he paid for the balcony.  For example, I just booked the Wonder of the Seas in Star Class and the cost for the third person was "only " about $700.

Edited by TheBucketLister

If your mom DOESN'T want the "suite perks", simply put HER in the  balcony....and hubby in the suite with you.  If you don't want to be in the same room....he can sleep in the balcony and you and mom can still sleep in the suite.  It's the NAME on the reservations that get you the PERKS...not where you actually reside.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

If your mom DOESN'T want the "suite perks", simply put HER in the  balcony....and hubby in the suite with you.  If you don't want to be in the same room....he can sleep in the balcony and you and mom can still sleep in the suite.  It's the NAME on the reservations that get you the PERKS...not where you actually reside.

I don't think they can switch husband without cancelling, since he booked solo and at least one name on the booking has to remain.

• Like 1

If you booked through a TA, contact your TA.  RC will not usually make any modifications on a TA owned res for anyone other than the TA or agency.

I don’t know the answer to the embarkation part, but I would imagine it would be a lot more difficult and time consuming than taking care of it in advance.  Plus I doubt if this is something the Genie would even assist with, so you may have to go down and brave the Guest Services line.  The last thing you want is for all of you wasting your vacation time dealing with the logistics.

Plus you run the risk of them telling you that there is nothing they can do and it should have been done before the day of embarkation.

3 hours ago, ChristyS said:

So do I call my TA back - I’m not the assertive type or is there some other department I can call? Is this something that can we switched at check in ?

Your TA needs to get this all straightened out for you before you board and give you your options.

However...not a good sign that your TA told you to just have your Mom & DH switch cards.

If you don't "assert" yourself things aren't going to turn out for you.

So...yes, call your TA they own your booking and there's nothing you personally can do with RCI directly about this.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheBucketLister said:

If you booked through a TA, contact your TA.  RC will not usually make any modifications on a TA owned res for anyone other than the TA or agency.

I don’t know the answer to the embarkation part, but I would imagine it would be a lot more difficult and time consuming than taking care of it in advance.  Plus I doubt if this is something the Genie would even assist with, so you may have to go down and brave the Guest Services line.  The last thing you want is for all of you wasting your vacation time dealing with the logistics.

Plus you run the risk of them telling you that there is nothing they can do and it should have been done before the day of embarkation.

OP has not indicated this is STAR Suite. I'm guessing its not.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

OP has not indicated this is STAR Suite. I'm guessing its not.

You’re right, I just saw Aquatheatre, and my brain gravitated to Star Class.  Probably a one bedroom (Sky), because I wouldn't see any reason to not cancel the balcony and move the husband to their suite if it was a two bedroom.