Rough seas today

madera1

Yes, it has been a bit of a wild ride last night and this morning.  Captain reported winds of 55-70 knots.  It is starting to settle down a bit now.  You have to have some motion of the ocean!  

We said when we booked we didn’t care if it was cold and rainy all week.  We’re on a ship.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Yes, it has been a bit of a wild ride last night and this morning.  Captain reported winds of 55-70 knots.  It is starting to settle down a bit now.  You have to have some motion of the ocean!  

We said when we booked we didn’t care if it was cold and rainy all week.  We’re on a ship.

Has it been rough all week? We just had rough seas the first night or two in open sea. 

3 hours ago, dfish said:

You enjoy gal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorswife59 said:

Has it been rough all week? We just had rough seas the first night or two in open sea. 

No, just the first day out of Seattle and now.    It was wild enough last night that the furniture on the balcony was totally rearranged.  I rescued three chair cushions but one was missing.  The stewards found it on the balcony next door.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Sounds like fun-love that ocean motion (as long as I don’t fall out of bed).

I remember our first September Alaskan cruise with our DDs. Leaving Ketchikan we hit some majorly bumpy seas all the way down to Victoria. Just walking down the corridors was an adventure. Our visit to Victoria, which was supposed to include a late afternoon tea at the Empress Hotel, became a late evening tea. Our tour of the city became an in-the-dark description of what we might have seen in daylight (our bus driver/tour guide was a hoot). 

St Louis Sal

• Like 4

3 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Sounds like fun-love that ocean motion (as long as I don’t fall out of bed).

On our first AK cruise--S/B. Whittier to Vancouver--we hit a storm in the Gulf of Alaska.  It was bumpy all day, but it really did not seem like that big a deal.  We went to bed that night and were rocked to sleep.  I was very deep asleep some hours later when I drowsily realized that I was rolling out of the bed.   I reached out with my arm and my right hand touched the floor--excuse me, the deck.  I was able to stabilize myself while my wife was rolling into me.  Technically, I suppose we did not fall out of bed, but that is just a technicality.

We heard lots of stories the next morning.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, dfish said:

No, just the first day out of Seattle and now.    It was wild enough last night that the furniture on the balcony was totally rearranged.  I rescued three chair cushions but one was missing.  The stewards found it on the balcony next door.

Kinda surprised the room stewards did not bring those balcony cushions inside after receiving the captain's heads up on the weather condition which, depending on the severity (category), includes orders to close/secure the deadlights on the (interior of) portholes in the crew berthing areas 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Kinda surprised the room stewards did not bring those balcony cushions inside after receiving the captain's heads up on the weather condition which, depending on the severity (category), includes orders to close/secure the deadlights on the (interior of) portholes in the crew berthing areas 

Surprised me, too.  

• Like 1

On my aft Neptune Suite veranda on the Westerdam, my Cabin Steward never brought any of the cushions into the suite.  I had to do so.  And, contrary what some have said in the past, there were significant soot issues.  (Take a white bath towel and wipe it across the furniture and the towel becomes black.)