Back from Ovation to Alaska. Most amazing cruise ever.

ryano

Im back from Ovation and really enjoyed my bucket list cruise to Alaska, first time solo.  What an amazing place.  Anyone that has been knows that pics cant do it justice.  I didnt want to leave.    It was everything I thought it would be and much more. Ovation is an incredible ship, I love the design and flow.   My deck 11 accessible virtual balcony was perfect, the food (i had the UDP) and service were incredible and I honestly dont know if I will ever be able to go back to 100% capacity cruising to the Caribbean  😞 I think I am ruined. Smoothest embarkation and debarkation ever.   I was onboard within 15 minutes of getting out of the cab with a 1230 check in.   We had 1864 guests onboard.   Elevators were almost instant and empty most of the time.  Free space galore.  It was amazing and worth every bit of the stress I put myself through pre cruise.  I looked into staying onboard and could have but I really needed to get back to work unfortunately.  Im trying to work on a full review and more pictures but just wanted to stop in and see if I could answer any questions.  I think the cruiseline is doing an amazing job at trying to keep everyone safe but provide a great experience too.   I would do it again.  I cant believe I wasnt equipped with binoculars and a better camera than a cell cam.  Oh well, I am just going to have to go back 🙂  

242014369_10219512132569589_8047532936207150480_n.jpg

241490112_10219491181845834_7814098918613227913_n.jpg

241862805_10219503112664097_4322995332785348574_n.jpg

241872979_10219504591541068_2573038724208188004_n.jpg

241888972_10219510445287408_129874726546584906_n.jpg

242085405_10219512049607515_859571138006517459_n.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ryano said:

Im back from Ovation and really enjoyed my bucket list cruise to Alaska, first time solo.  What an amazing place.  Anyone that has been knows that pics cant do it justice.  I didnt want to leave.    It was everything I thought it would be and much more.  

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful time! We're getting on board this Friday, 9/24, and will have 3 weeks to enjoy the ship.  How was the weather been like?  At this time of the year it's usually chilly and rainy in Alaska (from our past cruise experiences there, we've been 4-5 times in Alaska over the years).

26 minutes ago, rim140 said:

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful time! We're getting on board this Friday, 9/24, and will have 3 weeks to enjoy the ship.  How was the weather been like?  At this time of the year it's usually chilly and rainy in Alaska (from our past cruise experiences there, we've been 4-5 times in Alaska over the years).

It was in the high 40s to low 50s.  My kind of weather and I was well prepared.  43 when we got to the glacier but drizzling.   We had clouds and rain but we had some nice days too.   It seemed the weather change every 15 minutes in port.  The small ship going into Dawes glacier as we were coming out was going to have the better day there as it was drizzling when we were there but clearing up as we were leaving and blue sky was breaking through.   Even with the weather less than ideal some, it was still amazing. I loved the three ports.  

Edited by ryano

21 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

@ryano I am so glad you had a wonderful cruise!  Can't wait to see more pictures.

Truly a trip of a lifetime!  It was everything I imagined and so much more.  I absolutely loved the ship!  and Alaska is the most beautiful place Ive ever been in my life.   Im still awestruck by the whole experience!  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 4

I’m so glad to hear you had a great time! We’ve never done Alaska and I’m currently researching now to book something for next September. I’d love to book on Royal with the double points promotion but they’re only sailing with the QOS and the OOS. I’m not sure I want to go to Alaska with that many people at every port stop. Do you think it would be better on a smaller ship because I’m sure by next September we’ll be at 100% capacity?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ryano said:

Truly a trip of a lifetime!  It was everything I imagined and so much more.  I absolutely loved the ship!  and Alaska is the most beautiful place Ive ever been in my life.   Im still awestruck by the whole experience!  

We spent 9 nights in Alaska at the end of August.  Agreed, it is spectacular.  We got very lucky on the weather, clear and sunny most days..  Now we'll need to go back on a cruise ship someday 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, ryano said:

Truly a trip of a lifetime!  It was everything I imagined and so much more.  I absolutely loved the ship!  and Alaska is the most beautiful place Ive ever been in my life.   Im still awestruck!  

Alaska just leaves me speechless, it is so gorgeous.  I really like that class of ship too.  We are, hopefully, on Quantum in Alaska May 2022.  We did Radiance the last time we did Alaska plus a cruise tour but we can't take that much time this time so will try a round trip Seattle instead of the one way.

Maybe you can book again in the future and your Mom will be able to go with you then.  I am trying to get my Mom to join us but she won't commit yet.

• Like 1

Thanks for your post, and Im happy you had a wonderful vacation. 
It’s always nice to see more pictures to remind us of our perfect cruise on August 20. We loved Ovation, and knew we would. We frequently sail Anthem from NJ, so I jumped at the chance to book this ship, especially now.  I know we won’t see these low numbers onboard again so it made for an unforgettable cruise. It’s tempting to go back and see different ports someday…

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’m so glad to hear you had a great time! We’ve never done Alaska and I’m currently researching now to book something for next September. I’d love to book on Royal with the double points promotion but they’re only sailing with the QOS and the OOS. I’m not sure I want to go to Alaska with that many people at every port stop. Do you think it would be better on a smaller ship because I’m sure by next September we’ll be at 100% capacity?

Ovation, Quantum, Serenade and Radiance are all scheduled to be sailing Alaska for the 2022 season.

30 minutes ago, Wildcat85 said:

Ryan,

where did you see the orcas? If an excursion, which one? Thanks. 

that was actually taken from deck 5 of the ship from a FB group member standing beside me!  my phone was charging in the cabin.     I saw another whole pod in the inside passage but they were a lot further out beyond my camera.   we saw a lot surface and blow too from the ship, especially out in open water on the last day!   one within 50 yards of the ship was definitely a humpback.  I sat in Two70 for several hours straight on the last day at sea and counted 6 whales. Missed a lot more Im sure.  it was one of the most amazing sights ever. they seem to be really active right now  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 5

Re you seeing whales - very cool!  I saw one pod of whales from my room balcony using binoculars on the Sep 3 sailing. I didn’t see any breaches and wasn’t sure what type they were but didn’t see any white markings. So assumed not orcas. I also saw some sea lions and eagles at port in Sitka from my cabin before we departed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Glad you finally made it back on a ship

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Been following your saga since Dorian..glad to see you finally made it onto a ship!

I was thinking the exact same as you both. Glad you had an amazing time @ryano

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

For next year I'd choose the Serenade, because it does r/t from Vancouver, several of the itineraries include multiple glaciers, including the most impressive, the Hubbard, and it goes up the inside of Vancouver Island, which makes for great scenery and smoother waters. The ships out of Seattle have to hurry back to make a Victoria stop and go much farther, so there's less time in Alaska itself. The smaller ship also means it's quicker to get on and off the ship and you have a better chance of getting on a popular tour. Sailaway out of  Vancouver is also fun, because you sail under the Lions Gate Bridge, with people waving to you from above. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rj59 said:

For next year I'd choose the Serenade, because it does r/t from Vancouver, several of the itineraries include multiple glaciers, including the most impressive, the Hubbard, and it goes up the inside of Vancouver Island, which makes for great scenery and smoother waters. The ships out of Seattle have to hurry back to make a Victoria stop and go much farther, so there's less time in Alaska itself. The smaller ship also means it's quicker to get on and off the ship and you have a better chance of getting on a popular tour. Sailaway out of  Vancouver is also fun, because you sail under the Lions Gate Bridge, with people waving to you from above. 

I weighed a lot of options and personally chose Ovation because I have no desire whatsoever to fly to Canada to take a cruise. Seattle was far enough. I wasn't even going to get off the ship there before we found out they didn't want us there this year anyway, even vaccinated and tested. Sitka was a great bonus.  Radiance class is nice but they are old and outdated now. Ovation blows them away in every way IMO, especially when it comes to dining options both included and specialty and even places to view the outside. There is no comparing anything on a Radiance class ship to the Solarium or Two70 on Ovation. I realize that may be a unpopular opinion but its all in what we are looking for and the ship and its amenities were really important. Ovation is perfect for Alaska.   I do realize the 1864 guests on a ship that holds over double that will come to an end though and then entire experience would be different. I wanted all the bells and whistles. All the technology.  Ovation blew me away 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, grimaldi said:

Ryan, where was the photo taken of the stream/river through the forest?

That was on the Whitepass railway in Skagway. Incredible excursion!  Even if it wasn't the full trip.  They are doing work on the track .  I have a lot more pics i will try to get up soon. 

1 hour ago, ryano said:

That was on the Whitepass railway in Skagway. Incredible excursion!  Even if it wasn't the full trip.  They are doing work on the track .  I have a lot more pics i will try to get up soon. 

Figured that. Thanks for confirming.

Did you do the Northstar at all? I'm curious about pricing onboard, were there lines that you saw, any deals that they offered?