Princess Plus Fare - what exactly does it include?

Therese S.

23 hours ago, capriccio said:

The details are at https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/princess-plus/.

Note the last sentence:  A daily limit on alcoholic beverages of 15 beverages over a 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.).

WELL DONE - because I don't understand why computer users who post here cannot find the official info on Princess.com.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, geoherb said:

I might get Plus if it were $40 a day. For my cruise last month, it was more than $100 a day for me (solo cabin booked at a Drop & Go fare). But even for the December cruises that I'm tracking prices for, the price varies--from $40 a day to $60 a day. I'm waiting to see if there will be a reduced single supplement for at least one of those cruises like Princess has for cruises until the end of next month.

It is $40/pp/day.  However, it has been noted a number of times in recent threads that Drop 'N Go offers are offering discounts on the SAVER fare and either no or lesser discount on the PLUS fare, so the differential comes out to more than $40/pp/day.  It's just because of them dropping the fare a lot more for the SAVER and not prepared to "lose" as much on the PLUS.

6 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

What is this single supplement of which you speak?  And where would someone keep track of them offering a single suppliment?

6 hours ago, geoherb said:

It's the cost that solo passengers pay to take a cruise versus the cost for people booking a cabin double occupancy. Currently, for instance, Princess has some cruises this month and next that have single supplements less than 100 percent. For instance, the Emerald Princess's Panama Canal cruise on October 15 is $699 for double occupancy and $1,061 for single. The difference of $362 makes the single supplement about 52 percent. Also, the single supplement is not fixed. It can vary by cabin category. The single supplement for an outside cabin on this cruise is 42 percent and for a balcony is 25 percent.

For the December cruises that I'm tracking the prices of, the single supplement right now is 100 percent. It was 50 percent for my cruise last month on the Majestic Princess. That's around the sweet spot for me to book another solo cruise unless the price is deeply discounted already.

To look up the amount of single supplement, just change the number of passengers from the default of 2 to 1 when pricing cruises on the Princess website. Subtract the price for 2 from the price for 1 and divide by the price for 2. That will give you the single supplement percent. It's easy to see that it's 100 percent when the price of one is double the price for two. 

One thing to note - While Princess typically doubles the cruise fare for a Single, they do not double up on the PLUS portion.  So, with typical/regular fares, you only pay $40/day for PLUS and not $80.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, geoherb said:

It's the cost that solo passengers pay to take a cruise versus the cost for people booking a cabin double occupancy. Currently, for instance, Princess has some cruises this month and next that have single supplements less than 100 percent. For instance, the Emerald Princess's Panama Canal cruise on October 15 is $699 for double occupancy and $1,061 for single. The difference of $362 makes the single supplement about 52 percent. Also, the single supplement is not fixed. It can vary by cabin category. The single supplement for an outside cabin on this cruise is 42 percent and for a balcony is 25 percent.

For the December cruises that I'm tracking the prices of, the single supplement right now is 100 percent. It was 50 percent for my cruise last month on the Majestic Princess. That's around the sweet spot for me to book another solo cruise unless the price is deeply discounted already.

To look up the amount of single supplement, just change the number of passengers from the default of 2 to 1 when pricing cruises on the Princess website. Subtract the price for 2 from the price for 1 and divide by the price for 2. That will give you the single supplement percent. It's easy to see that it's 100 percent when the price of one is double the price for two. 

Thanks for that info.  I was hoping for a simple way to find the single supplement discount.  It sounds like you keep an eye on cruises you'd like to take to catch a price change in the single price. I'll have to try that. 

18 hours ago, Therese S. said:

Every cruise Ive ever taken my feet and ankles swell.  I dont know if its the ships water or not, but once I get home the swelling disappears, usually on the car ride home. 

it is probably from amount of salt added during the cooking

21 hours ago, Therese S. said:

He just likes bottled water, doesn't drink our at home tap water either.   Right now we have 8 24 packs of water stacked up in the garage and it goes fast.  As for myself I also prefer bottled water, but usually drink the ships water and refill my water bottle.   Every cruise Ive ever taken my feet and ankles swell.  I dont know if its the ships water or not, but once I get home the swelling disappears, usually on the car ride home. 

'home' tap water will vary by location, obviously. I believe the ships method of purifying water is as good as the people who produce bottled water. As a side note you can order water for the cabin for a nominal price. Might be worth it for the convenience. You can also bring cases of water on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

'home' tap water will vary by location, obviously. I believe the ships method of purifying water is as good as the people who produce bottled water. As a side note you can order water for the cabin for a nominal price. Might be worth it for the convenience. You can also bring cases of water on board.

Actually, you are no longer allowed to bring cases of water on board (unless they are in cans or cartons).

This is from the Passage Contract which I couldn't find on the Princess website by itself, but you can find if you do a mock booking:

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Actually, you are no longer allowed to bring cases of water on board (unless they are in cans or cartons).

This is from the Passage Contract which I couldn't find on the Princess website by itself, but you can find if you do a mock booking:

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

Thanks for the clarification, we have never brought drinks on board so did not notice that.

21 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

One thing to note - While Princess typically doubles the cruise fare for a Single, they do not double up on the PLUS portion.  So, with typical/regular fares, you only pay $40/day for PLUS and not $80.

But it can vary. For instance, on the Emerald Princess's December 9 cruise (10-day Panama Canal itinerary), the price is $40 per day for double occupancy and $50 a day for single in an inside cabin. It's $45 a day for double occupancy in an ocean view and $60 a day for single in a balcony cabin.

19 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Thanks for that info.  I was hoping for a simple way to find the single supplement discount.  It sounds like you keep an eye on cruises you'd like to take to catch a price change in the single price. I'll have to try that. 

There is one vacation website that lists low single supplements. Unfortunately, a lot of the cruises listed are on Seabourn and Odyssey--ones that are out of my budget range. 

9 minutes ago, geoherb said:

There is one vacation website that lists low single supplements. Unfortunately, a lot of the cruises listed are on Seabourn and Odyssey--ones that are out of my budget range. 

I think I have looked at those sites in the past.  I will check a few of the ones I have bookmarked just in case.  Yeah, I've seen a couple of emails from a few luxury brands advertising low or no single supplements.   Similarly out of my budget.  Oh well. 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:37 AM, Therese S. said:

He just likes bottled water, doesn't drink our at home tap water either.   Right now we have 8 24 packs of water stacked up in the garage and it goes fast.  As for myself I also prefer bottled water, but usually drink the ships water and refill my water bottle.   Every cruise Ive ever taken my feet and ankles swell.  I dont know if its the ships water or not, but once I get home the swelling disappears, usually on the car ride home. 

I am very salt sensitive.  Initially, when I first started cruising, I would have this issue (along with rise in blood pressure).  I now request a low sodium diet...but monitor my intake (parmesan basket, escargot, black and blue soap....I never understood the concept of water removing water, but guess it is a proven scientific remedy.

Can you just add the $40 a day for Princess Plus or do you need to refare?  I tried to "remove" Princess Plus and was instructed to refare at higher price.

Edited by cr8tiv1

18 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am very salt sensitive.  Initially, when I first started cruising, I would have this issue (along with rise in blood pressure).  I now request a low sodium diet...but monitor my intake (parmesan basket, escargot, black and blue soap....I never understood the concept of water removing water, but guess it is a proven scientific remedy.

Can you just add the $40 a day for Princess Plus or do you need to refare?  I tried to "remove" Princess Plus and was instructed to refare at higher price.

Going from Basic to Plus is not the same as adding, say, a specialty dinner.

Rather, these fares each have their own unique fare code ... you would refare at today's current fare.

1 hour ago, pms4104 said:

Going from Basic to Plus is not the same as adding, say, a specialty dinner.

Rather, these fares each have their own unique fare code ... you would refare at today's current fare.

So I've been told.  Currently, my Princess Plus fare is a terrific "bargain".  So guess I am keeping it.  Booked it way way way long ago.  

@geoherbThat's not fair to penalize you twice...once for solo cabin and again for Princess Plus.  The package should be sold as an individual price (ie:  $40 per person per day), regardless of cabin.

Edited by cr8tiv1

On 9/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, dreaminofcruisin said:

Thank you for this.  I knew I had read the water bottle and soda rule somewhere but couldn’t find it.  I don’t have much luck with the CC search functions.  I haven’t downloaded the ocean medallion yet (waiting for final payment)  so not able to read the passage contract.  

On 9/22/2021 at 1:37 PM, Therese S. said:

I also have a problem with swelling on the ship.  I order packs of water for my cabin pre-cruise even though I have the beverage package. That way I don’t have to worry about having bottles of water in the cabin.