Princess Provided Testing Sites

cltnccruisers

We’re in Upland and Quest locations around us are not open on weekends. We won’t be driving to Palmdale or Corona! We have to test on a Saturday to be in compliance. I called Princess, but the rep wasn’t very helpful. Kaiser is testing on Saturdays at Palm Court in Fontana, so we will show up at 7am for the test. I will ask for a rush, but who knows what rush is. The good thing is they email the results to us. I got my first test results in less than 24 hours, but that was for surgery. Despite this shortened test result time, I’m just happy to be on a cruise again. 

37 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

I'm not sure where CVS sends the test to, but it certainly isn't done locally, so 3-4 hours isn't possible here. Also, the sole CVS offering the tests near me only offers the PCR test, not the antigen test. Before anyone asks, there are even fewer Walgreens in this area, and the nearest testing location is even further away than the CVS.

Yes, this is a critical component of PCR/NAAT Regular (not in house) testing.  I did a weekend test with Walgreens in Southern California for another non-cruise trip.  I did my homework.  What I did not account for was pick up time/overnight service.  Luckily, my sample was picked up Saturday afternoon and FEDex'ed to Tennessee.  Arrived Sunday morning, test results by Monday morning.  I won't do that again.  

9 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

I'm not sure where CVS sends the test to, but it certainly isn't done locally, so 3-4 hours isn't possible here. Also, the sole CVS offering the tests near me only offers the PCR test, not the antigen test. Before anyone asks, there are even fewer Walgreens in this area, and the nearest testing location is even further away than the CVS.

I actually asked the technician about the processing and she said they processed the antigen test on site but the PCR had to be sent out.  The CVS scheduling FAQs imply this but leave a little wiggle room.  I noticed when looking for a Florida site that about half the CVS only offered PCR.  Perhaps this is because not all sites have the equipment to process the rapid test?

13 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

TBH I dont think temp checks would work. I had a breakthrough case...mild symptoms, but enough to make me think to get tested. Never had a fever. 

Glad you were vaccinated and that the vaccine did its job.  The virus is here to stay, just as H1N1 - the Spanish Flu - is still circulating and we get protection from it with annual flu shots.

The pre-cruise testing of vaccinated people seems to  be causing the most angst for cruisers.  I hope Princess steps up and does testing at the pier.  A couple of hours wait there for test results would be better than trying to fit a test into the short two-day time frame with travel to the port.

• Like 2

Norwegian cruise lines is doing all testing at the port . seems to me if all pf Carnival & Rpyal Caribbean cruise lines want to stay in business they too should do the testing at the port   like Norwegian is doing .That would make sense to me . This 48 hours changed by the CDC from 72 hours places far too much stress on  most cruising public . thinking id any one is flying to a cruise port how well can that work out &  what if a human mistake is made by the testing agents  , hmmm in my  way of thinking ,the Carnival & Royal Caribbean    Executive offices need to make doing business more easy or suffer  far lower sales volumes  7& of course profits .Remember that cruise critic is but a tiny tiny fraction of the total cruise populations  .Making it too difficult doe  those people  & they are off on a  alternate vacation which  gives them less hassles 

i hope for the cruise lines sake they implement a more user customer friendly system  in the near future  .For me & mine we will definitely take the  less troubled road  for our  future vacations 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I actually asked the technician about the processing and she said they processed the antigen test on site but the PCR had to be sent out.  The CVS scheduling FAQs imply this but leave a little wiggle room.  I noticed when looking for a Florida site that about half the CVS only offered PCR.  Perhaps this is because not all sites have the equipment to process the rapid test?

At least around us in Florida the CVS have been closing some of their test sites and consolidating them at certain locations.  The CVS nearest me stop doing rapid test last week and you were directed to a different site.  Now that site will stop doing tests next week and being directed to a site even farther away.

2 minutes ago, franktown said:

At least around us in Florida the CVS have been closing some of their test sites and consolidating them at certain locations.  The CVS nearest me stop doing rapid test last week and you were directed to a different site.  Now that site will stop doing tests next week and being directed to a site even farther away.

I noticed that trend.  There is a nationwide shortage of antigen test kits contributing to this.  The most convenient for our 11/27 cruise is a CVS near The Galleria in Ft L.  For now they are still accepting appointments but we're still well out for our needs.

36 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Norwegian cruise lines is doing all testing at the port . seems to me if all pf Carnival & Rpyal Caribbean cruise lines want to stay in business they too should do the testing at the port   like Norwegian is doing .That would make sense to me . This 48 hours changed by the CDC from 72 hours places far too much stress on  most cruising public . thinking id any one is flying to a cruise port how well can that work out &  what if a human mistake is made by the testing agents  , hmmm in my  way of thinking ,the Carnival & Royal Caribbean    Executive offices need to make doing business more easy or suffer  far lower sales volumes  7& of course profits .Remember that cruise critic is but a tiny tiny fraction of the total cruise populations  .Making it too difficult doe  those people  & they are off on a  alternate vacation which  gives them less hassles 

i hope for the cruise lines sake they implement a more user customer friendly system  in the near future  .For me & mine we will definitely take the  less troubled road  for our  future vacations 

From the NCL website to support your statement.

Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

12 minutes ago, franktown said:

I won't be surprised to see this sort of trend as Covid wanes and less demand for testing.  If still required in the travel industry, either some enterprising business will decide to setup near key departure locations or folks should use the mail option and remote-monitored testing. 

Wouldn't it be nice if all the lines and Port Everglades got it together and arranged for an on-site testing setup that everyone could use?  In my travels around PE roadways, plenty of open space where something could be setup and perhaps include drive-thru. 

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Wouldn't it be nice if all the lines and Port Everglades got it together and arranged for an on-site testing setup that everyone could use?  In my travels around PE roadways, plenty of open space where something could be setup and perhaps include drive-thru. 

I'd wondered about available space.  Our limited experience with the area showed it to be very congested.  Good to know that's not the case.

With shortage of test kits  & less CVS stores doing tests what crosses my mind is  either the CDC or Washington is on a  path  to do the cruise lines in  7 out of business 

How does any one who must fly yo meet a cruise ship get tested in time withing a 48 hour window ?  

This imo is insanity 

8 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

With shortage of test kits  & less CVS stores doing tests what crosses my mind is  either the CDC or Washington is on a  path  to do the cruise lines in  7 out of business 

How does any one who must fly yo meet a cruise ship get tested in time withing a 48 hour window ?  

This imo is insanity 

Depends on where you live, I suppose.  We can get a drive through RA test done and have results in hand in 60 minutes. Next day fly down to PE, day after board the ship. AFAIK, per the Princess web site, it's 2 days, NOT 48 hours, so any time Thursday for the test, fly any time Friday, and sail Saturday at 4PM. PITA for sure, but at this point, we'll put up with it just to enjoy the cruise. I also wouldn't rule out the requirement changing back to 3 days by the time we sail in November.

3 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Depends on where you live, I suppose.  We can get a drive through RA test done and have results in hand in 60 minutes. Next day fly down to PE, day after board the ship. AFAIK, per the Princess web site, it's 2 days, NOT 48 hours, so any time Thursday for the test, fly any time Friday, and sail Saturday at 4PM. PITA for sure, but at this point, we'll put up with it just to enjoy the cruise. I also wouldn't rule out the requirement changing back to 3 days by the time we sail in November.

It is 2 days, yes, but in our case Day 1 is Thanksgiving and Day 2 is Black Friday.  Makes schedule considerably more difficult.  To the point that we will probably give the home testing a shot from the hotel along the way.

Unless CCL & RCL cruise lines test at the port ,  the many millions of customers they count on  will choose other easier vacations . Simple marketing math   says make it too hard & I go elsewhere  ,that is true of most consumers 

Even with the pent up Cruise Critic members  must have a cruise types demand the ships are sailing like 50  to max 78%  ,Prices other than the Future Cruise credits are much much higher than pre pandemic prices  ,so you combine  substantially higher cruise prices with tougher &  more   restrictive boarding requirements ,you just set yourself up for failure in the future . I sure hope that the CCL & RCK owned cruise lines  will change  their boarding procedures 

Another strange issue is whether 72 or 48 jours what guarantee that a vaccinated person can not be infected after the testing   & then be    Asymtomatic  get on board & make others sick  . So this whole testing scenario makes no sense to me 

The only way to be relatively safe is to test at the pier  . Then the other caveat are the ports  , The cruise lines should mandate that all people must  take cruise tours only &  wear masks   just like they do  in the indoor public areas of the cruise ship  .anything less is asking for trouble imo 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

...Then the other caveat are the ports  , The cruise lines should mandate that all people must  take cruise tours only ...

Having just taken back-to-back cruises last month on Celebrity Apex to Greece, I can tell you how silly that sort of requirement is.  They actually did that in Mykonos--Shore excursions only.  roblem is that in Mykonos, like MOST ports, they really cannot keep the shorex groups isolated.  We were in Mykonos twice (B2B) and both shorexes took our group right through the middle of town and interacted with locals.  You just can't clear everyone out of the port city and turn it into a ghost town.  The reason to even visit many ports is to visit museums, churches, castles, wineries, business areas and shops.  Full day tours require a break somewhere for a lunch in a restaurant likely open to the public as well.  You simply cannot maintain a "bubble" around the passengers on a shore excursion.

OTOH, for those Apex cruises, Celebrity DID test us at the pier at check-in and all went very smoothly--we had results in 15-20 minutes and right on the ship!  EVERYONE over the age of 12 was required to be vaccinated. They tested us again the day before disembarkation each leg and positive tests were extremely rare (one was a child under 12.  Perhaps they should not have allowed unvaccinated children.  f I were the parent of a child under 12, I would not take them until vaccinated).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Having just taken back-to-back cruises last month on Celebrity Apex to Greece, I can tell you how silly that sort of requirement is.  They actually did that in Mykonos--Shore excursions only.  roblem is that in Mykonos, like MOST ports, they really cannot keep the shorex groups isolated.  We were in Mykonos twice (B2B) and both shorexes took our group right through the middle of town and interacted with locals.  You just can't clear everyone out of the port city and turn it into a ghost town.  The reason to even visit many ports is to visit museums, churches, castles, wineries, business areas and shops.  Full day tours require a break somewhere for a lunch in a restaurant likely open to the public as well.  You simply cannot maintain a "bubble" around the passengers on a shore excursion.

OTOH, for those Apex cruises, Celebrity DID test us at the pier at check-in and all went very smoothly--we had results in 15-20 minutes and right on the ship!  EVERYONE over the age of 12 was required to be vaccinated. They tested us again the day before disembarkation each leg and positive tests were extremely rare (one was a child under 12.  Perhaps they should not have allowed unvaccinated children.  f I were the parent of a child under 12, I would not take them until vaccinated).

Interesting  scenario  of that  port tour  . Actually , they did not do their  job  i if the group was on a bus  . what they can do is pre prepare the visits with the locals that at such & such time the tour arrives .then no one interacts with the locals  ,As far as restaurants are concerned  a similar decree that  when the tour shows up  they dit by themselves  in the restaurant .  Absolute precautions  need to be maintained because  any Asymtomatic passengers could infect  a lot of pax on the ship  & then the CDC could ban cruising once again  ,No it is not a easy task ;but ,what you experienced is like   running in & out of a burning building ,one mistake & you get burned badly   /Yes this is the bubble that is needed to keep every passenger  from getting this deafly virus ;as there is no guarantee that those older folk with underlying medical conditions  would not wind up in a hospital  or worse 

The  one  good  thing was that Celebrity did pier testing  . 

Believe me this virus is not ending any time soon unless by a Act from  God . There are almost 8 billion people in the world &  most likely it is going to be a long time to perhaps get most vaccinated to slow down mutations   .So ,I expect  it not to end  & we all must make life type changes  to stay healthy . 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

We have the same issues as we are supposed to leave Fri after Thanksgiving so only good day is Wednesday. Nearest CVS doing quick test is about 1 1\2 hr from here. Local CVS was fine when It was  3 day as we had no issues with PCR results, though still  tense waiting to see if they got back on time.  The holidays are going to create issues from Thanksgiving to New Years. Maybe Princess will take this into account and give those cruises leeway...but doubt it. Ours would only be the 3 day getaway and I am not jumping thru any more hoops . Might be yet another cancelled cruise to add to the list. May 2022 be better !!!

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Unless CCL & RCL cruise lines test at the port ,  the many millions of customers they count on  will choose other easier vacations . Simple marketing math   says make it too hard & I go elsewhere  ,that is true of most consumers 

Even with the pent up Cruise Critic members  must have a cruise types demand the ships are sailing like 50  to max 78%  ,Prices other than the Future Cruise credits are much much higher than pre pandemic prices  ,so you combine  substantially higher cruise prices with tougher &  more   restrictive boarding requirements ,you ju

Another strange issue is whether 72 or 48 jours what guarantee that a vaccinated person can not be infected after the testing   & then be    Asymtomatic  get on board & make others sick  . So this whole testing scenario makes no sense to me 

My personal opinion is that the government agencies and the cruise lines are so risk averse and afraid of any criticism that science and facts have fallen by the wayside.  Case in point, look how long it took to get the speed limits back up to 65-70 MPH.  According to the highway safety advocates and government officials there would be carnage on the highways.

If you are vaccinated, the chances of you getting seriously ill and/or dying are 0.0008 percent.

What is the true hazard if everybody in a group is vaccinated?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jinpasco said:

We have the same issues as we are supposed to leave Fri after Thanksgiving so only good day is Wednesday. Nearest CVS doing quick test is about 1 1\2 hr from here. Local CVS was fine when It was  3 day as we had no issues with PCR results, though still  tense waiting to see if they got back on time.  The holidays are going to create issues from Thanksgiving to New Years. Maybe Princess will take this into account and give those cruises leeway...but doubt it. Ours would only be the 3 day getaway and I am not jumping thru any more hoops . Might be yet another cancelled cruise to add to the list. May 2022 be better !!!

Pretty sure Princess cannot affect the testing window.  That dictate comes from the CDC and I doubt they really care about the holidays inconveniencing the cruise industry.

Seems to me that placing people in precarious  positions with regards to cruises plus the   safety  requirements  will  back fire on the industry   . Simply put people buy from places & people they like . right now I can't say  with any certainty that the millions of potential cruisers like what they see in the cruise industry  for vacations .

10 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Seems to me that placing people in precarious  positions with regards to cruises plus the   safety  requirements  will  back fire on the industry   . Simply put people buy from places & people they like . right now I can't say  with any certainty that the millions of potential cruisers like what they see in the cruise industry  for vacations .

We've been satisfied with the efforts of the industry so far.  They have to act on the dictates of the CDC and other government entities from multiple location and they're doing a pretty good job of it.  Partly because of those dictates our Equinox cruise last month was one of our more enjoyable.  40% capacity isn't great for the cruise line but it was great for us.  You are right, though, that you "can't say with any certainty" - only time will tell.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We've been satisfied with the efforts of the industry so far.  They have to act on the dictates of the CDC and other government entities from multiple location and they're doing a pretty good job of it.  Partly because of those dictates our Equinox cruise last month was one of our more enjoyable.  40% capacity isn't great for the cruise line but it was great for us.  You are right, though, that you "can't say with any certainty" - only time will tell.  

glad that you enjoyed your cruise aboard Equinox . We  sailed her on the inaugural  trans Atlantic back in 2009 .  We wish that X  had more ships to sail  from California ports ;as we no longer fly  . We are Elite+  with this cruise line & we would get many perks ,if they came to California , Navigator of the Seas  from RCL is servicing cruises   from San Pedro ,Ca  .Not bad for us as we are Diamond with RCL . We done most of our cruises on Celebrity ,then Royal ,Then  Holland America ,Princess & Carnival about equal number of cruises 

We hope that the cruise lines make it  ,It is  just very uncertain considering  that 48 hours  .Perhaps they will start testing at the embarkation port  in the very near future  which would make every ones life simpler  

Edited by mcrcruiser

This is similar to CVS Abott rapid PCR/NAAT machine:

https://www.globalpointofcare.abbott/en/product-details/id-now-covid-19.html

Some CVS's also have rapid antigen testing which uses an in-house reader that will produce results in 15 - 60 minutes.  

Finding these properties is the issue.

Princess could easily set up the same at a terminal.  San Pedro is home to several cruise lines (including NCL).  So why can't they "share".

3 minutes ago, barrykel said:

Until/unless they actually start performing tests at the pier, I wouldn't call Carnival/Princess' efforts anywhere near satisfying. 

That's a downside to be sure but as long as we can get tested (a little hard for our next cruise), there are no major outbreaks and any that do occur are handled by appropriate protocols I don't see it as an industry killer.

There does seem to be a little trending towards pier testing, btw.  Princess UK has done so and NCL, one of your favorites is doing testing at their expense - at least untill it gets rolled into the fare.