Princess Provided Testing Sites

cltnccruisers

5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

glad that you enjoyed your cruise aboard Equinox . We  sailed her on the inaugural  trans Atlantic back in 2009 .  We wish that X  had more ships to sail  from California ports ;as we no longer fly  . We are Elite+  with this cruise line & we would get many perks ,if they came to California , Navigator of the Seas  from RCL is servicing cruises   from San Pedro ,Ca

We hope that the cruise lines make it  ,it just very uncertain considering  thay 48 hours  .Perhaps they will start testing at the embarkation port which would make every ones life simpler  

The switch to 48 hours is the hardest thing for us.  It's about an 11 hour drive for us to Ft Lauderdale which is pretty much at the end of my endurance.  That and not wanting to arrive at the ship sweaty, tired and cranky prompted us to split the drive to 2 days - much more pleasant.  The 2 day test window throws a bit of a monkey wrench in that.  Improvise, adapt, overcome.

2 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

There does seem to be a little trending towards pier testing, btw. 

True, and Princess has said they plan to do so in the US, but until they actually start doing so, I have to treat anything they say with a grain of salt. Note that they also say that the web-based Ocean Ready will be available by the end of November, but I'm not holding my breath for that one either. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, barrykel said:

True, and Princess has said they plan to do so in the US, but until they actually start doing so, I have to treat anything they say with a grain of salt. 

I had asked Princess about this last week and was pointed to the FAQ on acceptable tests.  Once I clarified she came back that they were working on it and to check back later.  Uh-Huh.  😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cltnccruisers said:

Pretty sure Princess cannot affect the testing window.  That dictate comes from the CDC and I doubt they really care about the holidays inconveniencing the cruise industry.

True, I should have realized that. 

21 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I'll look into it but I'm concerned about the availability of emed.com with the first of our test days being Thanksgiving.

Thanks.

Someone called up emed and asked this, reporting on another thread here on CC.  They are open 24/7, 365 days a year.  My son said the proctoring is not necessarily done in the US, but medical facilities offshore, too.  All they do is make sure you do the test correctly, read the results, and verify.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

Someone called up emed and asked this, reporting on another thread here on CC.  They are open 24/7, 365 days a year.  My son said the proctoring is not necessarily done in the US, but medical facilities offshore, too.  All they do is make sure you do the test correctly, read the results, and verify.

Ordering now and will plan to use them on Thanksgiving Day in Melbourne.  Thanks. for the follow-up.

21 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

They weren't when I checked--which was right after I got the email from Princess...

There were lots of sites in their system, but most not doing tests with short turnarounds for travel.  

They may have added more since, but I've chosen to ignore that route...

Either I'll do the Binax thing...or...I'll just go into Kaiser Permanente--my health care provider.  I called them a few days ago and asked about it--and they said they can do it on a short turnaround for travel.  I'll call a couple more times betwen now and the cruise and make sure that's the case...

I called and asked my Kaiser here, and they said they did not do rapid testing.  That's why I bought BinaxNOW. 

My son, however, confiscated 4 of the 6 kits, and is now buying the whole second round of 10 kits for his household and me.  He was very impressed with the whole process last weekend. 

He and his fiancee have to go to a parents day at Michigan State, staying with son #2 that weekend, too, then he's going to a bachelor party in San Diego, and Mr. Michigan State is coming home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I am going to Kauai and Michigan in November and December.  So, we are keeping busy with those BinaxNOW kits!!!  We test going out, and coming back.

15 minutes ago, pcur said:

i had my test done today at 4 am pst and i was not the first in the line

i am so happy to have an option to take a test from home compare to drive somewhere (if lucky to get an appt, private payed rapid antigen tests start from $80 with a drive otherwise it's about $130 and up

binax now ag-card test cost almost $30 per each (i live in LA, almost $15 taxes were added to S&H)

i hope Princess will keep that test accepted, it was very convenient and easy to do

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pcur said:

I called and asked my Kaiser here, and they said they did not do rapid testing.  That's why I bought BinaxNOW. 

My son, however, confiscated 4 of the 6 kits, and is now buying the whole second round of 10 kits for his household and me.  He was very impressed with the whole process last weekend. 

He and his fiancee have to go to a parents day at Michigan State, staying with son #2 that weekend, too, then he's going to a bachelor party in San Diego, and Mr. Michigan State is coming home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I am going to Kauai and Michigan in November and December.  So, we are keeping busy with those BinaxNOW kits!!!  We test going out, and coming back.

I understood that the kits are sold to specific individuals or does that have to be done AFTER you register the kits?

1 minute ago, manunia said:

i had my test done today at 4 am pst and i was not the first in the line

i am so happy to have an option to take a test from home compare to drive somewhere (if lucky to get an appt, private payed rapid antigen tests start from $80 with a drive otherwise it's about $130 and up

binax now ag-card test cost almost $30 per each (i live in LA, almost $15 taxes were added to S&H)

i hope Princess will keep that test accepted, it was very convenient and easy to do

The $15 is for shipping.  I just ordered for my son and I today. 

The only way to order the 6-pack test kits is through the Navica app, but since we needed 10 between his household and me, I ordered a 6 from the app, and 2/ $70 online.  He's paying for it all.  They are under $30 each for the 6-pack, and a big savings over the brick and mortar walk-in, or the drive-through tests.

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I understood that the kits are sold to specific individuals or does that have to be done AFTER you register the kits?

No, you just have to provide your name with that test code from the box when you go to take the test.  Not a problem.  You can actually input 3 names through the app if you buy through it, but we are splitting them 6 and 4.  He just needed several before me, so I gave him my initial supply.

Edited by pcur

1 minute ago, pcur said:

The only way to order the 6-pack test kits is through the Navica app, but since we needed 10 between his household and me, I ordered a 6 from the app, and 2/ $70 online.  He's paying for it all.  They are under $30 each for the 6-pack, and a big savings over the brick and mortar walk-in, or the drive-through tests.

probably, i am special

here is my order summary: test kit 6 pack $150, Shipping $14.98, Estimated Tax $14. 25 - Total $179.23

1 minute ago, pcur said:

Including tax I paid $107.24 with 2 day shipping.  I'm pretty happy with that.  I had thought about waiting until we get closer to our sail date but if there gets to be much of a shortage I didn't want to get caught up short.

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

No, you just have to provide your name with that test code from the box when you go to take the test.  Not a problem.  You can actually input 3 names through the app if you buy through it, but we are splitting them 6 and 4.  He just needed several before me, so I gave him my initial supply.

As long as I associate a code with myself and the other with my wife can we do both tests during the same session and get the results both sent to my phone and email?  Or do they have to be done separately?

11 minutes ago, manunia said:

probably, i am special

here is my order summary: test kit 6 pack $150, Shipping $14.98, Estimated Tax $14. 25 - Total $179.23

No, I'm just not paying attention.  You are correct.  I just remember my total was $178-ish, and not paying attention to what's shipping and what's taxes.

10 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

As long as I associate a code with myself and the other with my wife can we do both tests during the same session and get the results both sent to my phone and email?  Or do they have to be done separately?

You have to do each test with your own proctor call.  But, it's only a short time with each.  My son said he called, got the phone answered quickly, could not see the person, but they could see him. Showed the test, did the test, then the person got off the phone, keeping the call open, and came back to see the results in 15 minutes.  Then, it verified instantly in the app, and the email was there immediately.

When he went to make the call, he had to register the test kit identifier with his personal information.  Even though I purchased it in my name originally, he just had to re-register it in his name, and go from there.  It took seconds to get the information entered and start the call.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And if you want to make sure that your rapid "on the go" kit is accepted by Princess:

Princess has partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less. These at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your test kit online.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 3:27 PM, Bruin Steve said:

They weren't when I checked--which was right after I got the email from Princess...

There were lots of sites in their system, but most not doing tests with short turnarounds for travel.  

Either I'll do the Binax thing...or...I'll just go into Kaiser Permanente--my health care provider.  I called them a few days ago and asked about it--and they said they can do it on a short turnaround for travel.  I'll call a couple more times between now and the cruise and make sure that's the case...

Had recent PCR test at Kaiser Southern CA at Noon. Processing lab in Chino Hills sent results via e-mail 7am the next day. Since there is no guarantee to get quick response, I have since found an Urgent Care giving Rapid Antigen about 3 miles for San Pedro port...28900 S Western, Rancho Palos Verdes, (424) 702-0500. Most insurance accepted. There are many other locations in So Cal including one in Calabasas.

urgentmednetwork.com

On 9/22/2021 at 3:27 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Either I'll do the Binax thing...or...I'll just go into Kaiser Permanente--my health care provider.  I called them a few days ago and asked about it--and they said they can do it on a short turnaround for travel.  I'll call a couple more times betwen now and the cruise and make sure that's the case...

I'm sailing Sept 30 and have an appt at the Kaiser in T.O. on the 28th. They say they will have the results in up to 72 hours but it's usually faster. I made a second appt at the local CVS in Westlake to eleviate the stress of missing the deadline for Kaiser's results. Kaiser membership says they pay for covid testing at CVS.

I also have the same problem. Traveling on an early flight on 11/27 to Ft. Lauderdale. Cruising out on Monday 11/29. My wife and I are going to test at the Ft. Lauderdale airport when we arrive on  11/27. On the web site its a $59 charge per person but thats the best plan I can come up with, Hopefully,  Princess will provide on site testing at the pier at some point.

1 hour ago, bikevegas said:

I also have the same problem. Traveling on an early flight on 11/27 to Ft. Lauderdale. Cruising out on Monday 11/29. My wife and I are going to test at the Ft. Lauderdale airport when we arrive on  11/27. On the web site its a $59 charge per person but thats the best plan I can come up with, Hopefully,  Princess will provide on site testing at the pier at some point.

You may want to investigate your Airport testing plan, to make sure they will still be up & running....?

Found out first hand, my backup plan of Oakland Airport testing site.... the Popup next to Terminal one Outside. Is Temporary.  Its Open air, and will be getting cold....

Was told they don't know how much longer they will be out there.

She suggested using the North airport location, which is a drivethru.

I asked about it, because on their website, It looked like that site was for employees?

She said its for everybody, but results can take up to 6 hours.

Quick caution regarding ordering the BinaxNOW test from Optum.  Ours was supposed to ship 2-day expedited and arrive 9/25.  I tracked it today and it is delayed to 9/28.  Not  big deal since we don't board until 11/27,  BUT.....it shipped FedEx.  We now have had 3 recent FedEx shipments delayed.  One arrived after a short delay.  But one has gotten pushed out repeatedly and is now nearly 3 weeks late.

There was a news story a couple of days ago that FedEx has delayed or rerouted over 600,000 packages in the US alone.  I'll update this when I get the BinaxNOW delivered. 

I don't recall if the order process had options other than FedEx.

Edited by cltnccruisers
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:09 AM, cltnccruisers said:

It is 2 days, yes, but in our case Day 1 is Thanksgiving and Day 2 is Black Friday.  Makes schedule considerably more difficult.  To the point that we will probably give the home testing a shot from the hotel along the way.

Why would Black Friday make it difficult for testing?