Stupid Question - How to Ask for Upgrade

Westsail32

I'm booked on the 9/25 Cabo (Grand) and the 10/30 Mexican Riv (Majestic).  For the Grand I was able to get my usual favorite window cabin on Deck 8 (close to Crooners).  For the Majestic however I booked it back in March and I booked an inside cabin.  Since the ship probably won't be full I'm hoping to get an upgrade to a balcony (obstructed or not).  If I'm not offered one what is the process for going to Guest Services and asking for one?  Do I just show up and ask for an upgrade to my cabin?  Anything special I need to do?  I've had one upgrade from Princess pre-cruise a couple years ago (balcony to a deluxe) but I didn't ask for it.  

Thanks!

I am not aware that one can simply ask for an upgrade.  Typically being offered an upgrade is random luck and the criteria used is quite mysterious.  Over the last few years upsell offers have become much more common than a true upgrade. But good luck to you.

• Like 1

I had a nice upgrade in 2019 for my b2b Alaskan cruises--from an inside guarantee to a great ocean view cabin. Most of the time, though, I just get an upgrade within my category. Last month it was from the lowest level of inside cabin to the highest. 

I asked before my cruise about upsell possibilities. Since I was sailing solo, they would have charged me double. I declined.

6 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Alaskan passengers said they were successful asking Customer Service

Passengers on the Majestic did say that they asked onboard at the Guest Services Desk and were successful.  And if I recall correctly, some were upgraded at no cost.

Good Luck and let us know if you are able to upgrade onboard!

Edited by LACruiser88

42 minutes ago, Westsail32 said:

I'm booked on the 9/25 Cabo (Grand) and the 10/30 Mexican Riv (Majestic).  For the Grand I was able to get my usual favorite window cabin on Deck 8 (close to Crooners).  For the Majestic however I booked it back in March and I booked an inside cabin.  Since the ship probably won't be full I'm hoping to get an upgrade to a balcony (obstructed or not).  If I'm not offered one what is the process for going to Guest Services and asking for one?  Do I just show up and ask for an upgrade to my cabin?  Anything special I need to do?  I've had one upgrade from Princess pre-cruise a couple years ago (balcony to a deluxe) but I didn't ask for it.  

Thanks!

Why not call Princess and ask to move to your category choice at today's rate for it???

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I think there is a difference with partially filled cruises, as OP mentioned. Alaskan passengers said they were successful asking Customer Service

Yes,  was able to upgrade on our recent Majestic cruise after boarding. Be polite and understand that it takes some time and effort for both you and the crew to get everything changed over. Day 2 we were still logging into the WiFi under the old cabin #. Of course the earlier you board the better. Each cruise is different so be OK if the answer is no.

10 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Yes,  was able to upgrade on our recent Majestic cruise after boarding. Be polite and understand that it takes some time and effort for both you and the crew to get everything changed over. Day 2 we were still logging into the WiFi under the old cabin #. Of course the earlier you board the better. Each cruise is different so be OK if the answer is no.

What were you able to upgrade from, to?

Technically, a guest doesn't ask for an Upgrade - I can see that for these first voyages where one might ask at PSD since the ship is not full.  Otherwise, a PSD request is likely not to succeed.  And asking a Princess phone rep isn't going to work.

A guest might ask about any Upsell offers and see what happens. 

I don't consider a GTY cabin assignment a true upgrade.  Yes, you can get assigned a better cabin.  I would call a true upgrade when you have a cabin assignment from selecting it and then Princess comes through with an upgrade.  I think those are rare these days by all reports.