The Daily for Tuesday September 28, 2021

richwmn

Today is Ask a Stupid Question Day, National Good Neighbor Day, and National Public Lands Day

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. - Margaret Mead

Meal suggestion for today - Vegetarian Chili

Drink of the Day - The Last Word

Wine of the day - Numanthia Termes Tinta de Toro - Spain - Red

Destination of the Day - Cruising Prince Christian Sound

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Destination Nafplion, GR
Eurodam 00:00 - 24:00

Skagway, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam

Ships without Passengers

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Koningsdam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Long Beach
Noordam Anchorage

Rotterdam NL
Rotterdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

0928Europe.thumb.png.ac01ded23a44b1840e5a036feb71f495.png

0928NAmerica.thumb.png.a799a67b6850736c0b3ef5defa151b6c.png

0928Alaska.thumb.png.20979a22c05c8021ca7aaa43957c9bd1.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love stupid questions.  I try to be a good neighbour.  Public lands are important.

Great quote.

The meal sounds good, it's starting to get cooler around here so chili will be on the menu soon.

Hope the drink of the day and wine are good too.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's destination.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Tuesday.  Stay safe.

• Like 25

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  We have a mantra in the Fire Service, "There are no stupid questions, only stupid mistakes".  A big salute to Good Neighbors and Public Lands.  I love the Mead quote but will pass on the chili.  I have been through Prince Christian sound just once on the Crystal Symphony before I started doing reports and don't think I have any photos.  My alternate menu suggestion is tea goodies as served on MS Oosterdam September 28, 2017:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/tea1.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Sam in rehab an hour away from home but released Thursday
Sharon’s young friend Jakob recovering at home from Covid
Smitty34877's DGS and DGD with pediatric covid
Tuesday colonoscopy for Jazzyv
From the rotation:
Me awaiting PET test results
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
Welcome home NextOne, DS and DDIL
Jajmd on Nieuw Amsterdam
Great upsells for Aliaschief and SharoninAz
Icand9223 away on river cruise
Atexsix is ok
Belated Happy Anniversary to Cruising-
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Good morning and thanks for the report Rich.  There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.  We are blessed with good neighbors.  Public lands are important for everyone’s enjoyment. Great quote today, it would be great if more people realized that and stop trying to mimic each other.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious.  I haven’t had a Last Word in several years, probably best saved for the weekend.  Have not been to today’s port so I’ll wait for the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to all celebrating an event today.  

• Like 26

A friend posted on FB that today is National Son's Day. In checking that I noticed that it is also National Voter Registration Day, Drink Beer Day, and International Right to Know Day.

Lots going on today. Hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  I'm the only full timer in my neighborhood so I'm a good neighbor everyday watching out for the other houses. Love hiking on public lands and as a retired teacher there are no stupid questions. I like the quote and the meal.

Prayers and toasts to our lists. 

The Last Word:

The Last Word is a gin-based prohibition-era cocktail originally developed at the Detroit Athletic Club. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin, Chartreuse
Ingredients: 1 part Gin, 1 part Green Chartreuse, 1 part Lime juice, 1 part Maraschino liqueur
Preparation: Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 6.57.32 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone!

I have a busy day ahead.  The KSU Rec Center is starting aqua classes, so I'm going to my first one there.  We'll see how that goes.  You do have to register online, so attendance is limited.  Then, I am having the first of two nerve ablation procedures for the spinal stenosis in my back.   We will also have to address the compression pain from degenerative discs at some point.  But, this should help immensely.  Meanwhile, I credit the pool for keeping me on my feet.

Today's meal is a good one for those fall days coming.  If you are a carnivore, no problem adding in some ground beef.  I used to make a vegetarian chili using Morningstar Farms meat substitute and it was pretty good.   I like my chili with a bite to it.   But, seasoning is personal and can be adjusted to individual tastes.

This first recipe comes with many suggestions on how to get it "just right".   There is a correct vegetable to bean ration.  I never knew!  https://www.thekitchn.com/vegetarian-chili-266017

18459009_vegetarianchili2.thumb.jpg.7edbed26497358c8a6f0ed4d93be6408.jpg

And for variety, the Food Network offers up this one:   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/vegetarian-chili-recipe-1917088

226105476_vegetarianchili.jpeg.acc69c08ec71697314f50463340e7b83.jpeg

And, one last offering:   https://cookieandkate.com/vegetarian-chili-recipe/

best-vegetarian-chili-recipe-1-2-768x1154.thumb.jpg.d268ee218780044815f4404d9031f925.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I agree with those who have already posted that there are no stupid questions.

We are very blessed that the one family who shares our section of our street are wonderful neighbors. They think we are wonderful so it makes mountain living even more peaceful.

We should always appreciate our public lands.

Interested in the chili recipe. I make a lentil chili; the first time I made it, many years ago, my family ate it, loved it and we're shocked when I told them there was no meat in it.

Today DH will mix and pour the mortar base in our shower. Other than that we will be getting ready to leave tomorrow for a trip to Florida which will include some business but also visiting family at least. (We have been going back and forth about whether or not we need to take this trip right now and decided it is necessary due to a company not calling back so we will deal with them in person. 😔)

Have a terrific Tuesday!

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 28

Good morning all - while no question is stupid, there are some that provide very obscure answers needed to win trivia contests on HAL!  Good neighbors are a treasure as our the public lands.  Mead's quote reminds me of the fun we have meeting new people on our cruises as we often come across folks who have unique talents, and the conversations are always interesting.

Prefer beef in my chili but the meal is a good reminder to stock up on the ingredients needed for chili - first cool weekend I'll be ready to put a batch on the stove.  Curious about the drink of the day and never met a Spanish red that wasn't good.

Yesterday was mostly a lost cause for any 'fun' on the internet - my phone started blowing up with texts at 6am with two of my four staff calling out.  Mondays are always a crush of work, so being down 50% in manpower made for a long day.  Add in the prep work required for this week's all-day management meeting on Wednesday, along with lots of other issues that popped up...the day met all the criteria of a textbook 'Monday'.  One of the two out yesterday has already called out again, so today will have its challenges as well.

Thinking good thoughts for all on the care list and will toast those celebrating today.  

• Like 31

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  I always told people I was training there was no such thing as a stupid question.  If you don’t ask, you don’t learn 😉   We’re lucky to have public lands here that many enjoy walking on and great neighbours that look out for each other 👍 

Love that quote by Margaret Mead.  I’ll save today’s meal for a cooler day. Not sure what’s on the menu tonight but there will be wine 😉 

8C119D9D-DEA7-4FD3-927F-F7F9BA419231.thumb.jpeg.5255dc6dd71df6614855fee80f603b1c.jpeg

@Vict0riannglad your procedure can wait until you return from your cruise.  You sure don’t want an infection while you are away.

@dfishgood luck with your procedure today.  I hope it helps your stenosis 🙏🏻 

@JAM37safe travels tomorrow to Florida

Hair appointment this morning.  I was surprised to get a reminder call yesterday since I had replied to their email but, of course, they have to make sure everyone knows that they need to see your proof of vaccine.  I felt for the receptionist as I could tell she was nervous about getting a hard time from some clients.  Not from this one 🙂 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!!!

5CC50133-F5C3-4479-8418-4D48293D65D5.jpeg.83bd9583041d35cf5a17b9a2c7b79097.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good afternoon.

I have been out for 5 hours working and just got home.

It has been a cool 50°F and cloudy and just started to rain. Thank you Rich for today's daily and Roy for today's care list's and celebrations.

You are blessed if you have good neighbours.

Sometimes a question looks stupid after you have asked it but you will never learn anything or make friends if you don't ask questions.

Public land should be enjoyed by everyone.

I will miss on the food and drink.

Looking forward to photos of today's port.

Prayers 🙏 always for those on our care list's.

Take care everyone.

Graham.

• Like 26

Good morning everyone. I’m happy to see that after fixing this site yesterday my post is going in the correct place. I can certainly celebrate national sons’ day since I have a wonderful son and 5 equally wonderful grandsons.

I like to think I am a good neighbor and know I have very good neighbors here.

Today it’s back to the dentist to clean out some puss that’s under a crown that’s over an implant. 
Sam is very eager to come home and I am eager to have him here. Tomorrow is family training day at the rehab where they will show us anything they think we need to know. I’m bringing some insurance forms with me so they can be filled out while he’s there and maybe I can avoid some of the hassle with the companies this time around.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 31

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I love all of today’s special days! Though the second two are a bit nearer and dearer to my heart. Good neighbors are treasures & and living with so many Federal and State parks nearby is special. 

All versions of today’s meal sound great, and each could be tweaked with meat for the carnivores of the world. Good luck with today’s procedure, @dfish.  Pass on the gin drink.

Off to the dermatologist for a check up. @Vict0riann, I am glad you Doc wants to wait until you get home for your procedure!

I will head to the gym later today, and enjoy every moment of yet another gorgeous day in the neighborhood. I threw on capris this morning. It was only 64 here. But the sun is now up and that will soon change. But still the humidity is absent.😎Falafel salad for supper tonight. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating- especially you folk who received an upsell. Stay well everyone!

Numanthia Termes Tinta de Toro - Spain

I picked the 2017 vintage to pull the reviews for this wine with excellent ratings. But you can’t go wrong with any released vintage. Prices for the 2017 start at $16.44. I would love to taste this one. 

Winemaker Notes

Ripened cherry red with ruby reflections. Clean and brilliant. On the nose there is good intensity with black fruits and spice notes bringing expression and complexity. There is a lively entrance, with medium structure and good balance. Notes of little black fruits, sweet spices such as cinnamon, a fresh touch of thyme and eucalyptus as well as a toffee and cacao background bringing complexity. The fresh and smooth tannin as well as the acidity make this wine long and expressive, fresh and elegant.
JS94 James Suckling: Ripeness and balance to this rich, flavorful red with chewy tannins and a dense, fruity center palate. It’s medium-to full-bodied, polished and focused. Drink in a few years. Try in 2021.
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning to all. I will certainly celebrate sons and the good neighbors I have had in the two places I have lived the longest. I am also very near beautiful public lands. Some overlook “my” Hudson River. Fred the friendly cockatoo and I have a rock we like to sit on and watch the water.

I make vegetarian chili often but will try one of the variations that Debbie found for us. Thanks @dfish.

I am very happy to report that both DGC’s are feeling somewhat better and presently have no fevers. They took grandma’s advice and started to watch “Voyager” with Captain Janeway in charge.

Terry

• Like 31

Good morning from central Texas.  It is going to be a busy morning.  I'm going to try to get the yard mowed and then to the store before our rain chances increase later to day.  The "Infamous They" at the weather service are predicting rain through Sunday.  I'll believe it when I see it, but we could use some rain.

And interesting collectionof days.  I agree that there are no stupid questions.  I think the stupidest answer to a question, especially by a teacher to a fifth grader, was that I ask too many questions.  Needless to say, that year I quit asking questions and getting answers.

We have good neighbors who look after each other, and some that only look after themselves.  Our public lands are very important and should be protected.  It will be interesting to see what happens in Quartzsite next to our neighborhood.  We learned yesterday that a company is planning to put in a solar farm at the end of the development on what we thought were public lands.

I agree with Margaret Mead's quote.  She was an interesting lady.

You lost me at gin for the drink of the day.  The red wine sounds like one I want to taste.  We like meat in our chili, but the meatless version would be good when our vegetarians are here.

@JAM37  Have a safe trip to Florida.

@Vict0riann  Glad the bump is not serious and can be tackled after your cruise.

@mamaofami  Hope your dental visit goes well.  It sounds like a good plan to take the insurance papers with you to the rehab facility.

@rafinmd  Thanks for the beautiful sunrise picture.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad the DGC are feeling better.

@tjcox9  Great pictures.

We have sailed through Prince Christian Sund four times and have pictures of three times.  Our first time was on the Rotterdam in 2003, and it was a wet, gray, misty day.  In 2009 on the Tahitian Princess, we must have sailed through at night as I don't have any pictures.  In 2017, we sailed west bound to visit Nanortalik and Qaqaortog, and then we headed east through the sound to Iceland.

On the westbound journey, Captain DD and a few officers when ashore at the little village of Aappilattioq to arrange a call there on the way back.  We were most likely the first ship to visit the village.  All my pictures were taken on the eastbound trip as it was a beautiful day.

Just a few pictures of Prince Christian Sund.  I'd basically describe the sound as a long, open ended fjord.

DSC09696.thumb.JPG.006a77f97829b8d5ff89217483872b1a.JPG

DSC09702.thumb.JPG.261989efcbafb0b59635b306d581b288.JPG

DSC09706.thumb.JPG.1e59ef712413ff968618ecfd23b22feb.JPG

DSC09711.thumb.JPG.d422a3fbc3677dccf7f36f9c0640cd11.JPG

DSC09718.thumb.JPG.f18dc699e68b3bdbfdc8e63c3e487060.JPG

These pictures should give you an idea of what Aappilattioq looks like.  There are very few if any locals in the pictures.  Besides bringing the children on board Prinsendam for hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza, most of the adults were on board while we were ashore.  It's such a small place, the passengers were divided into three groups and given an hour or so to walk around the village.

DSC09667.thumb.JPG.085bc915e94a214d74507ac84ba5788d.JPG

DSC09668.thumb.JPG.bd217c1ebde512e62b00d9ca1bc8ae59.JPG

DSC09671.thumb.JPG.1d44675255575120c976f41832c926dc.JPG

A couple of crew members having fun

DSC09672.thumb.JPG.272eb6e406f5d2f7888ddd0257f430f8.JPG

The local church

DSC09675.thumb.JPG.30d7f65c6767f039c84c4246530fc039.JPG

DSC09679.thumb.JPG.d879f8d31877ec71309ee9c9e62e38ad.JPG

One of the dogs enjoying a sunny day

DSC09682.thumb.JPG.af7972cc65da19327c2466810e720463.JPG

For the garden club

DSC09684.thumb.JPG.b927204c10a87d694e4cd33cd54198e8.JPG

Their local store was small but well stocked, and was also the hardware store and general store.

DSC09689.thumb.JPG.b285a4a33df2ee4706c0011545d439e2.JPG

DSC09690.thumb.JPG.358e8d24b705b615b72b20b134448bde.JPG

I think most of the passengers were glad Captain DD arranged our stop there.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 3