The Daily for Sunday October 03, 2021

richwmn

Blessed Sunday Daily-ites. Thank you Rich, Roy, and the Daily contributor ladies for food and drinks. 

We have been to the Caribbean many times and Castries has great shopping. We're scheduled to be there the day after Christmas this year.

God bless our fishermen and the fleets! 

image.png.bcfdacb7138e2c9d85b90a7135baba12.png

image.png.bf7ef16ed5585c849c3da0b4da02ed4c.png

Yesterday we couldn't take the hammering and left for lunch, which turned into Happy Hour as our neighbors were in the restaurant and we gabbed for another hour or so. Got home at 4:30 and they were still jack hammering. So we hopped on Elvis and visited neighbors along the way. There was a little concert going on and we stopped and listened for a bit. Home at 6:30 and the crew was packing up thankfully. 

Yesterday my niece adopted a dog from Frosted Faces, a place where senior dogs are adopted out. His name is Rocky and he's adorable. 

Please take a moment tomorrow and say a prayer for my boyfriend and hubby. He's having MOHS surgery on his ear in the morning. 

Have a great day. Cheers, prayers and blessings.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 35

Good morning all!

It’s been a busy week and this coming week is no different.

I met my boyfriend, (eventually my DH) when I was 20, he was 30. I was too young to drink so he would buy my wine at dinner 🥰. Blessings for all the fishing fleets around the world. We were an inter generational household, my grandmother lived with us from the time I was 4. She was born in 1896 and had such great stories to tell. 

I have been called a know-it-all in my life (as well as a lot of other things 😁).

I will gladly have a mudslide, the wine sounds luscious, but pumpkin should be confined to pies 😉.

I haven’t been to Saint Lucia, know the pictures will be beautiful.

Last night I went to dinner at a local restaurant called Small Batch. They are quite interesting as their specialty is bourbon, but their menu is vegetarian. I had Pad Thai with tofu, a cauliflower appetizer and a drink called a Seelbach, which was a mix of bourbon, brandy and champagne. I only took a picture of the drink (when it was almost empty 😂). Afterwards we went to the symphony.  Yefim Bronfman, the pianist, was the soloist. He played Rachmaninov beautifully but his encore was Debussy’s “Clair de Lune” and it was heavenly.  This afternoon my oldest DD, a good friend, and one of the flutists from the symphony are doing a program they’ve dubbed “concert in the backyard”. The audience will be spread out in my DD’s backyard, the three flutists will be playing on the deck above. Keeping my fingers crossed the weather will cooperate. 

Prayers for those on our cares list 🙏 and the celebrations are a delight 🍷. My friend, whom I’ve mentioned in the past who had a liver transplant, went home this week! That is a celebration, but also a concern. His transplant was 5 months ago, he went through kidney shutdown and Covid! He had the biggest smile in the car as he left the hospital, but now his wife and daughter will be taking care of him at home. Prayers for their strength and his continued improvement. 

Take care all!

St Louis Sal

C8E094C8-C95A-4C25-9A63-15AF37B398D6.jpeg

Edited by St. Louis Sal
  • Like 33

5 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

What a small world!

Here you are early in the morning

814446412_4Rotterdam.thumb.JPG.9ce8fb249543dd458d22ec3d158168f4.JPG

the Rotterdam later in the day

106243016_5Rotterdam.thumb.JPG.3da91c2d738fab027ac5a2a0b3ee484e.JPG

Thanks!  Here you are in the morning across the way from us.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhFNqMtGS9k0TZtGRsHBfO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551119768

And here you are heading out to sea right ahead of us.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKfOvBUQwI9ABpwjO36vxX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551117351

• Like 27
  • Haha 4

Good morning  everyone. My great nephew(Camilla 's dad) is a fisherman and the family very much supports the blessing of the fleet.We all heave a sigh of relief  when he and his crew  safely return from each long trip.

Intergenerational  day is everyday  around here and DH has been my boyfriend for over 45 years  now.

I will pass on the recipe .We are having Diner takeout tonight and I am so excited.Like  @mamaofami, we don't  eat inside either!

Our first cruise was with my mom,brother's and their wives on the Queen Mary. We had a great time but both my brother and mom were very ill.DH and I took my debilitated  mother swimming on a beach in St Lucia and we all had a wonderful time.We took no pictures that day but I remember it so clearly all these years later. What a beautiful place. 

@grapau27,I intend to get myself to England someday soon and have an English Sunday lunch.It looks great.

Take care everyone.

Terry

• Like 26

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Please take a moment tomorrow and say a prayer for my boyfriend and hubby. He's having MOHS surgery on his ear in the morning. 

Praying for a very successful surgery and a speedy recovery for your DH 🙏

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I sleep with my boyfriend every night; like @St. Louis SalI met DH when I was too young to legally go into the bars (I was 19, he was 33), but fortunately I looked older and was able to get away with ordering my own drinks.  Bless the fishing fleet; it's a dangerous job and one that deserves it's own day.  We will celebrate intergeneration day this coming week when we head to Calgary to visit our DS and his family.

12 years ago today we boarded the Rotterdam VI for our first ever family cruise.  We flew our son from Japan to Athens where we embarked, and made the most amazing memories.   Highlights were presiding over my step-daughter and son-in-law's wedding at the Acropolis the night before boarding, and having all of us touching the pyramids of Egypt a few days later.  We've added a daughter-in-law and 2 grandsons to the group since then, so will have to begin planning another one in the future.

I've had pumpkin ravioli, and quite enjoyed it, but would prefer if someone else made it for me.  I like the idea of using won ton wrappers though, as it would make them a little lighter.   I've also had today's wine - several times.  And yes, I do enjoy it!  Yesterday I had planned on having a barbecue dinner for us, but DH and his son ended up heading out of town (something about a car) and didn't return until later in the evening, so I made myself a toasted bacon & tomato sandwich.  Barring any last minute out-of-town trips, DH and I will be enjoying the sausage with apple & saskatoon berries, dilled potatoes and a salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

@Seasick Sailor will definitely keep your DH in my prayers for his surgery tomorrow.

@St. Louis Sal what great news for your friend coming home - a joyous time for everyone!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, wash your hands, be safe, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I've been to Castries a few times but I don't think ever on a BHB

I was mistaken about that.  I've actually been there 4 times, Celebrity Infinity in 2012, Prinsendam in 2013. Amsterdam 2014, and Grandeur of the Seas 2018.  I'll post a couple of photos of the Pitons.  On my tour from the Prinsendam we got pretty close from the land side:

pitonsclose.jpg

Castries was not on our itinerary for the last segment of the 2014 World Cruise but it became a substitution when the itinerary was revised due to missing African ports due to Ebola.  We passed by the Pitons early in the morning on the way to the dock:

pitons.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

My friend, whom I’ve mentioned in the past who had a liver transplant, went home this week! That is a celebration, but also a concern. His transplant was 5 months ago, he went through kidney shutdown and Covid! He had the biggest smile in the car as he left the hospital, but now his wife and daughter will be taking care of him at home. Prayers for their strength and his continued improvement. 

Prayers for a continuing recovery.

53 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Prayers as well for Allen.  Also I guess the good news about the drilling is that there's a finite amount to be done and that time is getting closer.  I certainly hope you get a reprieve on that when Allen comes home from his surgery.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a cool central Texas, but we'll warm up to the upper 80s.

I met my boyfriend when I was 19 and he was 21, and by the time we married nine months later (not because we had to) I was 20 and he was 22.  We celebrated our 54th anniversary last month.  Blessing of the fleet was celebrated in Corpus Christi when we lived there in the early 1970s.  We hope for a multigeneration get together with our DDs and their guys before we head to Quartzsite in a couple of weeks.

The Isaac Asimov quote is good and truer than we like to admit.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds like one I'd like and I may have had it on a ship.

@kazu  I saw the housecleaning meme on FB as was thinking about posting it too.  Also, I've had the same cashier at the self-checkout a few times.  😉

@St. Louis Sal    Sounds like a wonderful night last night and a good concert today.  Glad your friend is finally home.  Sending best wishes and good thoughts for his continued recovery and for his family's strength in caring for him.

@grapau27  Graham, when we did the P&O world cruise on Oriana, the Sunday roast dinner was a favorite.

We have been to St. Luicia many times, but only twice when we had a digital camera.  We stopped there in 2000 on the Oriana and in 2015 on the Ruby Princess.  We've also been there on the Noordam III and the Ryndam.

We have always rented a car or hired a taxi and driven to Soufriere.  Twice when the ship was in port longer, we have contiued on around the southern tip of the island and then across the island back to Castries.  In 2015, that part of the plan was derailed because of a flat tire.  It took a while to find a place to repair the tire, but we still made it to Soufriere and on to our favorite stop, the Ladera Resort and Dasheen Restaurant.

Thompson Celebration (AKA Noordam III) greeted us when we arrived in Castries.

DSC02106.thumb.JPG.5fe7e359a86f53a7a64324f90d4e85e7.JPG

Castries from our balcony

DSC02107.thumb.JPG.45f62743b2d860e953f8fce314300770.JPG

Ladera Resort and Dasheen Restaurant are just off the road south of Soufriere.  The resort is situated so you look out between the Pitons and down on Sugar Beach.  We've toured the resort and all the rooms face the water, and are open on the water side, even the bathrooms.  However, the tubs/showers have shower curtains on both sides.  These were all taken from Dasheen.

DSC02109.thumb.JPG.e9780fa0ec8fbae99a5032ca80660633.JPG

DSC02119.thumb.JPG.1688675a2082e9ce819d764c9e326579.JPG

DSC02112.thumb.JPG.61397230007b5999ea517d130155f114.JPG

DSC02122.thumb.JPG.a1d6d5c93b11e9a2f2e7ce7185249ae4.JPG

DSC02125.thumb.JPG.2b22b3148c0a864abb35af933bf3bde8.JPG

The hotel

DSC02127.thumb.JPG.bb6dd6929b9e190f5f9563d5cae88a81.JPG

Their gardens and a memorial to 9/11 in the gardens

DSC02121.thumb.JPG.2403ab91f654c3a9979e42872ccaaa87.JPG

DSC02126.thumb.JPG.1ad53ca0bf2da81df745a2596b427894.JPG

Soufriiere

DSC02128.thumb.JPG.d7aaff52dc3b69efe1b451d01ce4acaa.JPG

DSC02130.thumb.JPG.3c8d47694821e0d024238ac32d74800d.JPG

DSC02132.thumb.JPG.81469f11a16df43801a3ea0214ee4808.JPG

Coast lines

P1150093.thumb.JPG.c7eeeed442c0e5f63c6a6f1e73fad208.JPG

P1150100.thumb.JPG.f76947b2274b2db9eacb175363807dfe.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 33

Sunny and cool today. But yesterday when the clouds lifted the mountain peaks were white. And driving home yesterday from the shelter I saw great swaths of yellow on the ridges. I think winter is on its way. We are due for more rain later this week. We need it.

Spent most of yesterday sleeping- I suspect a reaction to the Covid booster. Feel much better to day and Bandit and I plan a long walk. I have not been to today's destination... and I am not great fan of pumpkin ravioli ... like others I feel pumpkin belongs in pies.The mudslide sounds awfully rich. I find my stomach is getting less tolerant as I get older. Given all that, I would love to pick my meals and drinks on a BHB. It may be awhile.

Susan

• Like 21