Beware of others--A mask isn't always protecting anything!!

12cruise2

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And it's amazing that such a product as a mask with holes is allowed and sold. What a world we have become.😢

FYI those masks have been around for years. People use them at raves. They have all the holes so they can breathe while dancing the night away. How do I know this, young nieces and nephews. 😝

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, recruiter 28 said:

Is the ship providing masks throughout your cruise?

Friends currently onboard said they each received 2 washable, reusable cloth masks in their stateroom (white with the blue HAL logo off to the side).

• Like 4

Yes, it’s important to note that, when you are in the MDR or a cocktail lounge,  you may be only 2 or 3 feet away from ANYONE without a mask for an extended period. If you feel that you are going to be compromised by being around random people, it may be best to stay home at this point.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dchip said:

FYI those masks have been around for years. People use them at raves. They have all the holes so they can breathe while dancing the night away. How do I know this, young nieces and nephews. 😝

I hope they now come with a label that says they are not to be used as protective masks for Covid.

• Like 1

I've been thinking what I wanted to say in response to this post but Nooligans has now expressed it. We were on a 12 night Eurodam cruise that started Sept. 12. The staff was very diligent about wearing masks and prompting guests that were walking about or in the Lido getting their food to wear a mask. But many passengers, once seated in a dining room, playing trivia or  in an evening venue would remove their masks. We were mostly in Greece - some places were quite crowded (Mykonos) and not many masks. We were comfortable with that, loved our trip, but if those conditions make a person uncomfortable, I agree with Nooligans, they will probably be more comfortable staying home a bit? longer.

• Like 4

I need to wear a mask when flying?  I need to wear a mask while on Amtrak?  I need to wear a mask during cruise?  I am not spending money to do any of these things.  I have been residing in my "cave" since March, 2020 with the need to "break out" for several good personal reasons.  I am fully vaccinated including the third Pfizer dose.  I have had my flu shot.  I am as in as "good shape" regarding the viruses of whatever type that I can be.  But, having to wear a mask for a prolonged period of time is something that I physically cannot do.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

I need to wear a mask when flying?  I need to wear a mask while on Amtrak?  I need to wear a mask during cruise?  I am not spending money to do any of these things.  I have been residing in my "cave" since March, 2020 with the need to "break out" for several good personal reasons.  I am fully vaccinated including the third Pfizer dose.  I have had my flu shot.  I am as in as "good shape" regarding the viruses of whatever type that I can be.  But, having to wear a mask for a prolonged period of time is something that I physically cannot do.  

Sadly these are the times we are in until covid is under control.  Masks needed on all transport.

We need a lot more people vaccinated both in North America and world wide.  Hopefully sooner than later before another variant appears that the vaccine does not work against.

With luck and co-operation the day of normalcy may return.  In the meantime if we want to fly or travel by most modes of transport, masks seem to be the name of the game and required.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

With luck and co-operation the day of normalcy may return.  In the meantime if we want to fly or travel by most modes of transport, masks seem to be the name of the game and required.

I fear that the concept of co-operation has become lost among those of different points of view about many issues.  I accept that the need to wear masks in order to travel is the "name of the game" at this time.  I have chosen to not be a player in that game.  I regret that decision.  But, on this Tuesday evening in October, it is the best decision for me.  

That decision hurts me.  I have the time to travel.  I have the financial means to travel.  But, the need to wear a mask because of physical issues has led me to this decision.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I fear that the concept of co-operation has become lost among those of different points of view about many issues.  I accept that the need to wear masks in order to travel is the "name of the game" at this time.  I have chosen to not be a player in that game.  I regret that decision.  But, on this Tuesday evening in October, it is the best decision for me.  

That decision hurts me.  I have the time to travel.  I have the financial means to travel.  But, the need to wear a mask because of physical issues has led me to this decision.  

Here is something we can all agree on---let us hope that the need to wear masks to travel ends soon as the plague upon us now also comes to an end.

• Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 4:19 PM, 12cruise2 said:

We are on board Nieuw Amsterdam now 10/2-23/21 sailing for three weeks from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale.  It's only two days into the cruise.  Yesterday was our Mariners' luncheon. 

I have a question for you on the Mariner's Luncheon since we didn't have one on our Alaska Cruise (we also didn't have a Mask Mandate on our Sailing).  Did they seat Cruisers with Cruisers they didn't know as they did Pre-Covid?  Also, once seated did everyone take their Mask off at the table?    

Thanks!

Interestingly, Celebrity is sailing (on US voyages) with no onboard mask mandate. Looking at the CDC data, all four of their ships are currently in status Green, while HAL's single ship operational in US is Yellow. 

I'm a relatively cautious person, but I also follow the data. I am wondering whether masks really afford any additional protection on ships sailing fully vaccinated and requiring a negative COVID test prior to boarding?

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Interestingly, Celebrity is sailing (on US voyages) with no onboard mask mandate. Looking at the CDC data, all four of their ships are currently in status Green, while HAL's single ship operational in US is Yellow. 

I'm a relatively cautious person, but I also follow the data. I am wondering whether masks really afford any additional protection on ships sailing fully vaccinated and requiring a negative COVID test prior to boarding?

Hopefully, Macy's is watching Gimbel's...🤞

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I feel the same way. We did all we're supposed to do and will get the booster when we are eligible.
I can't deal with the mask wearing for more than about 20 minutes at a time, such as grocery shopping etc. I'm certainly not going to spend thousands of dollars and then have to wear a mask on a cruise ship, with fully vaccinated passengers and crew. Aside from the discomfort, it just doesn't make sense.
I would love to book a cruise for next Spring but not if the mask mandate remains in force.
We'll stick to traveling in the RV for now.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

I also don't know why masks are required on a fully vaccinated ship….

It’s because very soon after the re-start, cruise lines began to see it made a difference. Exposure matters. If it was merely a matter of everyone on the ship being in a bubble during the sailing it would be one thing, but since the incubation can be 2 weeks, there’s too many variables. Most passengers would not be willing to quarantine for 2 weeks after our flights before boarding the ship, and there will be others encountered in port, so the most non-invasive way for the time being to prevent spread is to require masks.

Not the most fun option, I know, but better than some other alternatives.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

It’s because very soon after the re-start, cruise lines began to see it made a difference. Exposure matters. If it was merely a matter of everyone on the ship being in a bubble during the sailing it would be one thing, but since the incubation can be 2 weeks, there’s too many variables. Most passengers would not be willing to quarantine for 2 weeks after our flights before boarding the ship, and there will be others encountered in port, so the most non-invasive way for the time being to prevent spread is to require masks.

Not the most fun option, I know, but better than some other alternatives.

So how do you explain the difference (or lack of difference) between Celebrity ships and HAL ships sailing from US so far?  One requires masks onboard and one does not. Both are fully vaccinated (well, Celebrity offers a little wiggle room on that for a small percentage of unvaccinated children....but they ARE expected to mask up onboard).

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

So how do you explain the difference (or lack of difference) between Celebrity ships and HAL ships sailing from US so far?  One requires masks onboard and one does not. Both are fully vaccinated (well, Celebrity offers a little wiggle room on that for a small percentage of unvaccinated children....but they ARE expected to mask up onboard).

I believe what happened is Carnival Cruise Lines had cases Onboard back in July.  They were following the 95%,5% CDC Guidelines and had granted Exemptions to some Adults and Children.  Those who were not Vaccinated were supposed to "Mask Up" but Cruisers reported that some weren't doing it.  HAL was always 100% Vaccinated and had no Cases (that I'm aware of).  Because of the cases Onboard Carnival Ships Carnival Corp. implemented the Mask Mandates and Pre-Testing for all their Lines.  

IMO, the odds of Vaccinated getting Covid onboard a Fully Vaccinated Ship is very slim whether people are wearing a Mask or not.  Recent reports stated that 1 in 5,000 Vaccinated contract the Virus daily but in areas where more people are Vaccinated it becomes 1 in 10,000.  

Edited by idiebabe
  • Like 2