Live From Lisbon

Lois R

“The internet has been horribly slow 

Ah … it has improved then 🙄

We left at Lisbon and up to then it had been diabolical …. It took over four hours to complete a UK PLF…. Using premium wi-fi!  Apparently it is the satellite feed 🙄… the satellite must have been hit by the flying pig😁 Although there has just been a very strong solar storm which may have ‘disrupted communications’ …. Good excuse.

I managed a speed check of 0.3 mps . This was done very early morning when use should have been light although the TV ALWAYS said it was heavy use whenever you checked?

• Like 1

Hi friends, we were supposed to be stopping in Ponte Degalda today but due to rough seas and the size of the docking area the Capt felt for our safety to not try and dock there. So we are having a 5th sea day. He announced it this morning after he was in constant contact with the port authority.

I had dinner in LA Dame last night and it was fabulous😀 I had Chilean Sea Bass that had to be more than 2 inches thick and was soooo delicious. AND lamb chops. My own version of surf and turf. I can only speak for myself and it was worth every penny. (In my opinion).

Anyway, still very much loving the 🚢 and staff/crew are outstanding😀

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 5:39 PM, Silver Spectre said:

SS appear to have relaxed protocols on the current Shadow cruise and are allowing crew off individually instead off on strictly controlled beach visits.

That is odd. The HD said a protocol email went out to all active ships about this topic. I wonder how Shadow got permission to relax things but not Spirit.

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

I had Chilean Sea Bass that had to be more than 2 inches thick and was soooo delicious. AND lamb chops. My own version of surf and turf.

I admire your capacity to consume such an amount of delicious food!  

Great news😀 as of this morning we are permitted to sit at bars😀. Marius (HD) received an email from HQ with this positive news! I am happy😁

• Like 7

Had a British Pub buffet in Dolce Vita today with a fun music trivia session too. They had fish and chips, peas, some rice and some other spicey chicken as well.

All sorts of drinks and everyone seemed to have a good time😀

Tonight is the 2nd formal night. For those who are not into formal I can tell you I wear nice slacks with a pretty top, some jewelry and I feel totally appropriate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well we have 2.5 more days to go and for me, it has been a wonderful cruise😀 A few glitches here and there yes. But I love this area of the world! First time I have visited Lisbon, The Azores and The Canary Islands. We are in Las Palmas today and the weather is spectacular! Went on a good tour which included a museum and A 🍷winery. Very good guide too and besides tasting 5 wines we walked through part of the vineyards. It is a small winery and the owner is awesome. He only has 4 types of grapes and really interesting to learn new things.

Tomorrow we are in Arricife and Tues is a sea day and Wed we disembark. I fly home on Thursday.

Will post more later.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 10/14/2021 at 7:35 PM, goldengatecruisers said:

Lois - what a great idea for surf and turf at La Dame.   I know what I will be ordering next time 🙂. I am really enjoying following all of your travels from your various cruises and threads and I love reading your posts.  

Ashley

Hi Ashley, thank you😁

Hello friends, it is a warm and sunny day and I had an exceptional excursion  this morning to 2 wineries. The guide was fantastic and in 20 years of cruising I had never purchased any wine before. 

This has to be some of the best I have ever tasted. It actually does not taste like wine. If you can close your eyes and see a beautiful amber liquid------something to sip like a fine liquor----this is it.

The winery is El Grifo and the wine is called Canari. Unbelievable. Best 70 Euros I have ever spent😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

…in 20 years of cruising I had never purchased any wine before. This has to be some of the best I have ever tasted. It actually does not taste like wine.

Ummm… what?  Now you’ve piqued my interest.  What does the wine you usually drink taste like?  Welch’s?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Ummm… what?  Now you’ve piqued my interest.  What does the wine you usually drink taste like?  Welch’s?

Hey no  dissing Welchs grape juice  Stumbles,  I like it  and its another thing you cant get in Australia  !!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I never buy any to bring home with me is what I should have said.

3 hours ago, Lirio said:

It seems a dessert wine like sauternes or port?

I don't really like port wine but I love  this and so I don't think it is like a port.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Hey no  dissing Welchs grape juice  Stumbles,  I like it  and its another thing you cant get in Australia  !!

You're going to be so easy to buy for your birthday the next time we see you; Almond M&Ms and Welch's grape juice!  Would you like any JIF Peanut Butter to replace your Vegemite? 😀

• Haha 5

The Canary Islands were famed for their sweet wines.Basically a sherry style.But we can't call such wines that any more.In Australia officially the style is now called Apera.The irony is sherry was very much out of favour in Australia but Apera is taking off especially with younger drinkers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just popping on to this thread to tell everyone how much fun we had on the same cruise and that it was a delight to meet and get to know Lois. Great lady!  And, Wes, we also got acquainted with Peter and Wendy and so enjoyed them. They certainly had an interesting tail to tell about your COVID experience in March 2020.

this was our first SS cruise but won’t be our last. Great staff and food and we felt very much pampered. Interesting ports and loved Lisbon. Now starting our 10 day land tour of Portugal 

• Like 6