Chic Night Sport Coat, Edge?

lv2cruisgrl

Indeed you never do know . . . we have been at a Captain's Table (on another line) with other regular cruisers and first time cruisers.

Our thinking was that the long time cruisers were "recruited" to help convince the first timers to return.

🤔    😀

36 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

So, can anyone give me an idea how many men do not wear long-sleeve shirts on regular nights in the MDR?

Why?

Most men wear a short sleeve shirt in the Caribbean. What i wear depends on itinerary. Alaska I have long sleeve shirts. 

24 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Why?

Most men wear a short sleeve shirt in the Caribbean. What i wear depends on itinerary. Alaska I have long sleeve shirts. 

Thanks! I will bring one for Chic Nights, but really just wanted SS on regular nights. (Caribbean)

27 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I just wear what makes me feel most comfortable 

Unfortunately, wearing what makes me feel most comfortable would make those around me feel quite uncomfortable. That said, I don't think a sport jacket will be making it's way into my luggage this time around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

As do I.  Moreover, I had never noticed that the temperature in the dining rooms varied with itinerary.  

Humidity can sure make a difference on how comfortable you are when getting ready and moving around the ship to the MDR!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

So, can anyone give me an idea how many men do not wear long-sleeve shirts on regular nights in the MDR?

No matter the itinerary or the evening I only wear (since 2016 when evening chic was introduced) golf/polo style shirts and dockers in the main dining room in the evening. IMO, never too warm or too cool. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

No matter the itinerary or the evening I only wear (since 2016 when evening chic was introduced) golf/polo style shirts and dockers in the main dining room in the evening. IMO, never too warm or too cool. 

Glad to hear it. We moved to a golf community last year so I have a number of nice polo shirts that will be perfect then.

• Like 2

@miched, I'm right there with you. Even as a suite guest I've never wanted an overabundance of rules dictating whether or not I can feel comfortable while on vacation. And I'm sure ambiguity is written into various policies for various reasons, one of which is to appeal to a cross-section of customers without alienating any.

26 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

And I'm sure ambiguity is written into various policies for various reasons, one of which is to appeal to a cross-section of customers without alienating any.

Even back in the day when there was no real ambiguity, it became common practice for the gatekeepers to ignore the "policy" so as to avoid "alienation".

• Like 1

this particular topic is always good for many many responses and absolute instance that they are each "right".  I don't know why people are so invested in this subject.

The reality is that where the ship is traveling, (climate),  how long the trip is for, and if you are traveling over a holiday or on a predominantly adult's only cruise (ie no kids, school in session)  are contributing factors as to how people may choose to dress. 

No right or wrong. Plenty of men wear sports jackets (if not suits, dinner jackets, or tuxes...which I still see). Also, many don't and just go with a button down shirt.

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

this particular topic is always good for many many responses and absolute instance that they are each "right".  I don't know why people are so invested in this subject.

For the same reason some of us would prefer not to have the dining room decorated with Alice Cooper cover art?

An extreme example, yes, but ambience is impacted by a whole host of factors, and it would be nice to have some respectful dinner retreat somewhere aboard ship for those whose preferences lean in an old school direction, too.  It's unfortunate that the mid-range lines like Celebrity seem no longer able to provide one as they once did.  They're not even able to deal successfully with the minimal requirements they currently have put in place.  I refer back to Ruth's (goofysmom) recent experiences, noted above.  Should that group of loud, crude and inappropriately dressed individuals have been provided a venue appropriate to their dining preferences?  Yes, I suppose that they should.  Should there also be a venue provided for those who would like to be assured that this wouldn't be part of their dinner?  I say yes to that as well.

I got curious today and did a little research. With some surprising (to me) results.

There are a number of Michelin 3-Star restaurants in New York. There's an interesting divergence in some ways on dress code. Per Se apparently still requires men to wear a jacket. Le Bernardin has now dropped its jacket requirement (more on that in a minute). 11 Madison Park apparently never had a dress code. Dinner for two at Per Se or 11 Madison Park, not including drinks but with tips, will set you back about $1000; Le Bernardin will run around $450 for dinner and tip, plus drinks. There are other 3-stars in NYC, but those were the easy ones to look up.

Part of the dress code change directly deals with "loaner jackets" during the pandemic. Most of your high end restaurants keep a stash of jackets for "gentlemen" who show up without a jacket. But there's a whole sanitary issue involved over the last couple of years. So many of them have dropped the jacket requirement.

What's interesting, according to a Robb Report article I found, was that most men still show up wearing jackets. There seems to be a general feeling that the food and ambience of the restaurant calls for a jacket. I honestly was a little surprised, but we are talking NYC, and all three of those are in Manhattan. I've only been to Le Bernardin, and always wore (and will wear) a jacket, and the general ambiance conveys a formality. I suspect a misbehaving party would be politely moved on; if they were filthy rich enough, they'd be convinced that a private room was better for them...

I will be honest that I've never felt that way on a cruise ship. Maybe early on in the Pinnacle Grill on HAL, but at that point I'd never dined at a Michelin starred restaurant. It could just be me, and on Celebrity we've sailed in Aqua and in a Sky Suite, so I don't know the MDR ambiance, but on Holland and Royal, I never got the concept of the MDR staff parading around waving napkins on "formal night"...

(And, for the record, I'd wear a suit or jacket if called for. We don't wear shorts or flip flops to dinner on a ship, or anywhere other than a truly casual restaurant.)

• Like 1

We just got off the edge on Saturday. We were in the retreat lounge and had dinner each night in Lumina. While I wore a sport coat on Chic night, it was not necessary. I ended up taking it back to the room both nights. I wore a golf shirt each night for dinner and beyond. It is very casual. Chic night there were a few ties but only a handful. I think it depends what your spouse wears and dress accoundingly. We drive to port so we had room in the luggage. If flying I would not bring coat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Pennstatedj said:

We just got off the edge on Saturday. We were in the retreat lounge and had dinner each night in Lumina. While I wore a sport coat on Chic night, it was not necessary. I ended up taking it back to the room both nights. I wore a golf shirt each night for dinner and beyond. It is very casual. Chic night there were a few ties but only a handful. I think it depends what your spouse wears and dress accoundingly. We drive to port so we had room in the luggage. If flying I would not bring coat. 

Thanks that certainly helps us decide what to take. We drive also, however the lighter the suitcases the better!

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 8:35 AM, lovrccl said:

For those traveled on Edge in Retreat recently are the men wearing sport coats in chic Night? We are getting ready to pack for Oct 16 and will have a sky suite. Wondered how dressy people have been. Thank you!

My DH always wears a sports coat and tie on Chic nights .    Many men dress in a sports coat.  The ship is typically cool in the evenings- AC blasting.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

My DH always wears a sports coat and tie on Chic nights .    Many men dress in a sports coat.  The ship is typically cool in the evenings- AC blasting.

Well according to people on board now, many now are not dressing up. 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:45 AM, bloomcruisers said:

The only exception may be if invited to dine with the captain. I don’t know if they are even doing that now since sailing restarted. But when we did it fairly recently pre-covid, the invitation specified dress code included jacket and tie for the men.

That is not necessarily true.  We are Zenith members and have dined with the Captain and Senior staff on several occasions.  We no longer took sport coats with us and we dined in dress pants and nice long sleeve shirts.  Never felt out of place.