Stay in Houston or Galveston the night prior to cruise?

PandaBear62

Hi,

I am wondering what everyone thinks about staying in Houston or Galveston the night before a cruise? We are expecting to arrive at Houston Hobby at 3pm for our Disney cruise leaving out of Galveston. 

I had planned to just spend the night at an airport hotel (Thursday evening) and get a shuttle or limo to Galveston the next day (Friday).

Is it better to just go directly to Galveston instead on Thursday? Obviously, my worry is that our flight is delayed/rescheduled, which will screw up our transport to Galveston. 

I have never sailed out of Galveston.

3 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

I am wondering what everyone thinks about staying in Houston or Galveston the night before a cruise?

Galveston is a Seaside resort town - equivalent room cost will be 2 to 3 times. 

If you are just looking for a bed for the night, may be more cost effective to stay clear of the Galveston and motel down in the morning. And, many major hotels have two night minimum on the weekends - at least that was the case in the summer months.

Edited by RGEDad
  • Like 1

We stayed at Harbor House and saw the Independence sail in.  Had dinner at Katie's, easy walking distance from hotel plus not far at all from ship so we walked over to terminal for easy check-in.  I was little concerned about luggage wheels but sidewalk all the way and no problem whatsoever.   

• Like 1

If your cruise leaves on Saturday or Sunday you will pay ALOT to stay in Galveston.  Cruises that leave during the week the rates are much better.  We usually stay in League City, Texas City or south Houston for a weekend departure.  

• Like 1

A lot depends on how you plan on getting to the port.  Rental cars in Galveston are a pain.  If you plan to only chill out for the night stay at a hotel around the airport.  That gives the option of shuttling back to the airport for a ride to the pier.  If you want to do some activities for the night head down to Galveston for the night.  There is a lot of information  that's been posted before of Galveston hotels and airport transportation

• 3 weeks later...

We usually stay in Galveston. However for Christmas we decided to get a room at Holiday Inn Express Texas City. We love the Tremont House but it was over $300+.  Holiday plus Saturday night stay caused the increase in price. Galveston is our home port so we're there all the time. If Galveston is new to you go and check it out. If you're being cost effective stay at the airport and shuttle to the port in the morning. If cost is not an issue check out Tremont House or Hotel Galvez. 

• 4 weeks later...

Even if you don't stay there, as someone who lives next to the port.  My suggestion is I can' t think of a better way to spend your first night of vacation than sitting outside at Willie G's or Fisherman's Warf having dinner watching the ships come into port, followed with a overpriced nightcap at the Tremont listing or dancing to a jazz band in the downstairs lobby bar, or enjoying the view from the rooftop bar. May I suggest the Tremont Old Fashion.

It sure beats sitting in a Texas City motel looking at 4 walls.

Edited by MrMan

46 minutes ago, MrMan said:

Even if you don't stay there, as someone who lives next to the port.  My suggestion is I can' t think of a better way to spend your first night of vacation than sitting outside at Willie G's or Fisherman's Warf having dinner watching the ships come into port, followed with a overpriced nightcap at the Tremont listing or dancing to a jazz band in the downstairs lobby bar, or enjoying the view from the rooftop bar. May I suggest the Tremont Old Fashion.

Hallelujah 🤩🤩🤩

2 hours ago, MrMan said:

AMEN!

• Like 1

Like I said there are number of hotels/motels (not full service) "on the Island" and inside/over the causeway to stay at, that should not be expensive, and still close to fun tourist activities the night before, and real close to the terminals the next morning . .   

Edited by ssb

Since you're flying into Hobby, I think the least stressful approach would be to stay at an airport hotel near Hobby.  That way if your plane is late, you won't have a problem with changing a booking for your transportation to Galveston that day.  

As another poster said, you can shuttle back to Hobby from your hotel the next morning and get a town car, limo, or shuttle to take you directly to the pier.   Be sure to allow time to get there - it's about a 40-45 minute drive from Hobby to the pier under good traffic conditions.

If you go directly to Galveston from the airport and spend the night, there will be more things to do and more eating choices and bars, but you'll pay more for the hotel and you'll need to arrange transportation to the pier the next morning.  Just depends on how you want to spend your first night!

Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...