Think I'd like to try a luxury line

nyc2pdx

On 11/4/2021 at 3:41 PM, applefan75 said:

Hardly steadfast adherence.  Folks who choose Silversea expect their fellow travelers will abide by the dress code; for many that is why they’ve chosen Silversea.  They enjoy dressing for dinner and knowing a certain type of atmosphere in the evening will be maintained.  

Silversea might be flexible onboard, but it’s rude to think those expectations don’t apply just because your not being scolded.  If you don’t want to wear the jacket, then eat in a venue that doesn’t require it, or choose another line as there are plenty that welcome casual at all times.

The type of attitude expressed is an example of society these days thinking “the rules” don’t apply to them.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:08 PM, seattleskibums said:

We've been on three Silversea cruises and I never have worn a tie.  I don't even own a jacket or a tie.  Only once did they require me to put on a jacket to enter the dining room (a special chef's dinner that wasn't advertised as formal).  They provided the jacket and I promptly took it off and hung it over the chair back when we reached our table.  No problem.

We like the Silversea service and itineraries, so we're not going to let their snobby dress code interfere with that.  Besides, they offer other dining venues in which sports shirts and slacks are fine.  If people want to wear tuxedos to breakfast, lunch and dinner, we're OK with that, but we cruise to relax and enjoy good food.

If you don't mind skipping the one or two formal nights in the main dining room, you'll be fine on Silversea. We're looking forward to two more great itineraries on Silversea next year.  Don't be intimidated by a dress code.  Go and enjoy yourself!

I'm sorry sir, if you can't comply with standards clearly set out, find another cruise.

Silversea make it clear what is expected of their guests and this is expected/accepted by their passengers.  It is extremely rude and ungracious to think that you are exempt for these guidelines.

They are not 'silly' rules - they are guides to what the majority of guests would like comply with.  It can be very upsetting to guests when fellow passengers disregard dress code when they have gone to considerable lengths to adhere to the code.

You may think the rules are 'silly' but Silversea are trying to set standards that will meet most guests expectations.

Sorry, if you don't like the rules - find another cruise that suits you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, fred.mack said:

They are not 'silly' rules - they are guides to what the majority of guests would like comply with.  It can be very upsetting to guests when fellow passengers disregard dress code when they have gone to considerable lengths to adhere to the code.

The fact is guests are free to wear formal attire at any time without feeling they have to "comply" with any rule.  The only reason we can think guests would be upset about having "gone to considerable lengths to adhere to the code" is because they felt forced into doing something they really didn't want to do.  

If you want to dress up, sir, by all means dress up.  If you don't want to eat your vegetables, don't eat your vegetables.  But don't expect us to do the same as you.  We avoid the main dining room on formal nights because we're aware of the code, no matter how silly we think it is.  But I expect to be able to dine in other venues on formal nights without a tie or coat.  Silversea's policy allows that. 

If you can't live with a policy that caters to different preferences and you get upset seeing people who don't dress like you, maybe you should just forgo cruising.  Silversea suits us fine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 5:30 PM, Catlover54 said:

I left out French/English Ponant to the OP as another small ship luxury line with arguably  "foodie"  food ( allegedly) , even though they have all-inclusive drink service now and there are enough English speaker pax to not feel second class ( a previous problem) . This is because  I have not yet tested them ( I will in a few months, but in an owner's suite, so that will not be a fair comparison).

. . 

Ponant was not really all inclusive. Only bar brands were part of the package and we paid extra for Grey Goose, etc.  They lobbied for tips, which we did not expect.

Dining options VERY limited.  MDR is very French and the only other venue was casual and not at all luxury feeling. 

Entertainment was dismal.

US passengers were definitely 2nd class citizens when we sailed with them.

Cabins were compact but well appointed.

Ship rode the sea very, very well.

I won't go again on this line.

I agree with you in full !! 

Despite the excellent Charles Heidsieck Champagne my cruise last year on Champlain was far from a luxurious experience and I did cancel my second booking immediately. 

It is true you get an envelope for gratuities 

Ponant urgently must upgrade the food on board ... 

Of course last year there were no US passengers however 2 people not speaking French. 

• 8 months later...

We are looking to take our first luxury cruise, so thought this would be a great thread to read.

I have read a lot of helpful information, and learning about the different lines (and what people like and dislike. [Yes, I know some is old, like any info on Crystal.]

However, it is good to see that there are still some similarities between luxury and mainstream cruising, such as the discussions [arguments] over attire. It actually made me laugh.

• Like 1

Fancy meeting you here!

Yes, this thread was promising but went off the rails a bit.  Hope the OP didn’t go with Crystal - that would have been bad timing.

Underlying the whole question about luxury lines is which aspects define luxury for you?  It’s somewhat different for everyone as you drill down to the details.  Certain aspects that you may find important can actually crossover between the so-called luxury lines and the premium lines.

14 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Fancy meeting you here!

Yes, this thread was promising but went off the rails a bit.  Hope the OP didn’t go with Crystal - that would have been bad timing.

Underlying the whole question about luxury lines is which aspects define luxury for you?  It’s somewhat different for everyone as you drill down to the details.  Certain aspects that you may find important can actually crossover between the so-called luxury lines and the premium lines.

Yes, very nice to see you here as well!!!!

Whereas river cruising was a whole new world to me, I am at least starting out with my research into luxury cruising on better footing.  I know and have talked to many friends and family that have taken "luxury" cruising over the years, so I am familiar with some of the ups and (few) downs to luxury vs. mainstream and which luxury lines are their preferences. I am also familiar with the premium vs. luxury vs luxury - and the blurred distinction of the latter two classifications. [And a confession - I have been lurking on the luxury boards for a few years.]

I do get it, a 1 star Michelin restaurant is very, very nice and you cannot go wrong eating at one, but a 2 or a 3-star Michelin are yet a notch or three above. But sometimes that dirty spoon in the next town that isn't even Zagats-rated has some of the best eats in the world.

Although I am familiar with some of the benefits on some lines versus others, I need to do some more research on these and see what the benefits of sailing each currently.

The two things I am looking for in a luxury cruise (vs. mainstream) is a notch-up on food and less crowds.  A butler would get bored with me since the only thing I would probably ask for is to make sure I have ice in my room every evening - which a steward would do for any guest on the inside cabin of any ocean liner. My only "special" request for wait staff is to bring me two glasses of Diet Coke after we sit down to eat.

I have tried to get my DW and friends up to speed on luxury cruises by sending them a few articles I found of use and a few videos (of course, a few from Craig B!). FYI -  everyone likes the idea of a luxury cruise.  We also have an idea of where we would like to cruise from - either Rome or Venice (which makes it a lot easier than not even having an idea of which river to sail).

For me, my next step is to find different luxury cruise itineraries of 7-10 days that sail out of either of the above cities during the timeframe allotted at the end of August (yes, it's gonna be hot). In addition, the itinerary will be towards the east (although France and Spain are great, if I'm spending the extra $ on a luxury cruise, I would like to see places I have not been). [If out of Venice, we would be taking a high-speed train from Rome (hopefully there will be no strikes).]

Personally, if Viking has the most desirable itinerary (I did see one that looks great), I would personally sail with them even though some would classify them as an "upper premium" and not even "luxury."  [Am I allowed to mention "Viking" on this forum or will this post be deleted?] For me, it will be the itinerary that is the most important - but I am only one of four votes, although for myself and my buddy will defer to our DWs as to what we want to do.  I will do research into all of the options available during our window of opportunity and weigh them against the other. [I have one friend that will argue till he is red in the face that I would consider anything other than SS (I've heard his stories, and it does sound fabulous). On the other hand, I know people that love Viking.]

Going back to your original question "Underlying the whole question about luxury lines is which aspects define luxury for you?"  I am looking for good food and not being crowded in every venue I walk into.  However, that is a question that I will ask each of my travel-mates - which may allow us to narrow down some of the options once they become available (August 2024 is not being scheduled as of yet . . . but should be soon).

As a mainstream cruiser, I am looking forward to trying out a luxury cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Travel R said:

Going back to your original question "Underlying the whole question about luxury lines is which aspects define luxury for you?"  I am looking for good food and not being crowded in every venue I walk into.  However, that is a question that I will ask each of my travel-mates - which may allow us to narrow down some of the options once they become available (August 2024 is not being scheduled as of yet . . . but should be soon).

As a mainstream cruiser, I am looking forward to trying out a luxury cruise.

Might be worth looking at itineraries  on the smaller ships  & not if they have the "Luxury" label

Try  some different lines to see what suits you  best

What others like may not be the same as what  you like

Some lines already have their 2024  schedules out 

We tried a "Luxury" line  truthfully for us it was not any better than the Premium line  we like

JMO

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Might be worth looking at itineraries  on the smaller ships  & not if they have the "Luxury" label

Try  some different lines to see what suits you  best

What others like may not be the same as what  you like

Some lines already have their 2024  schedules out 

We tried a "Luxury" line  truthfully for us it was not any better than the Premium line  we like

JMO

Thank you.

What you suggested is the direction for how we are approaching our search; look for all available options regardless of how the lines are characterized, and see which ones we think we would like the best - then compare al that we have found.

A premium or a borderline premium/luxury line may be a good fit; especially since our friends are not big cruisers, and have not sailed on a mainstream cruise in a number of years. For myself and my DW, I think we would be okay with whatever category we choose.  Speaking to people I know about their own experiences I already have some pre-conceived biases towards and against certain lines even before I began my recent research, but I am going to try to void that from how I gather data. I will also confess that I have been looking at the boards for some of the other non-luxury lines, such as Viking and Azamara to get some idea of what people are saying about them these days.

If we like luxury cruising (what's not to like), I am sure we will try it again, and most likely on a different line for the sake of comparison (although our next non-mainstream cruise will be a river cruise (unscheduled for 2026)).

I have looked at a few of the premium and luxury lines and so far, for Med sailings most schedules are only posted through July 2024 (although I have seen Aug '24 schedules for Asia or longer cruises that sail beyond the summer months). But I have only begun to perform any research, so there are a few lines I have not even reviewed as of yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have done a Mediterranean cruise on both a premium line (ship size 3600) and a luxury line (ship size 600).  I would say that the biggest difference is in the ports of call and quality of excursions.  I felt like we had a much more intimate trip on the luxury line because the ports were small and often we were the only ship there.  The quality of guides was also much higher, the size of the group smaller, leading to interesting discussions that often continued on board.  Was the food fantastic…sometimes…but nothing like a land based star rated restaurant.  The service on board is defiantly higher but I think that has to do more with the number of passengers than the actual service.

48 minutes ago, Asquare said:

We have done a Mediterranean cruise on both a premium line (ship size 3600) and a luxury line (ship size 600).  I would say that the biggest difference is in the ports of call and quality of excursions.  I felt like we had a much more intimate trip on the luxury line because the ports were small and often we were the only ship there.  The quality of guides was also much higher, the size of the group smaller, leading to interesting discussions that often continued on board.  Was the food fantastic…sometimes…but nothing like a land based star rated restaurant.  The service on board is defiantly higher but I think that has to do more with the number of passengers than the actual service.

Just wondering which premium line has ships carrying 3600 pax?  Size alone would not seem to be in that category.  But agree with your comparison of Premium vs Lux.  The pax to crew ration will be much lower on the luxury lines.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Just wondering which premium line has ships carrying 3600 pax?  Size alone would not seem to be in that category.  But agree with your comparison of Premium vs Lux.  The pax to crew ration will be much lower on the luxury lines.

It was the inaugural cruise of the Sky Princess…it was full capacity.

There is actually a thread on the division of cruise lines into categories in this very topic a while back…Princess was considered premium not mass market…the lines like Viking, Azamara & Oceania were called Ultra Premium.

Princess just seems like a mass line to me.  I’ve had the unfortunate experience of doing an Alaska cruise on a Princess ship…never again.  I have heard that both Princess and HAL have a couple of smaller ships that are slightly more upscale though not sure if they would be Premium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Princess just seems like a mass line to me.  I’ve had the unfortunate experience of doing an Alaska cruise on a Princess ship…never again.  I have heard that both Princess and HAL have a couple of smaller ships that are slightly more upscale though not sure if they would be Premium.

No matter how they spin it  Princess & Celebrity  are NOT premium lines 😉

Princess had a couple of the R ships  but they are now with Oceania  &  Azamara  ..Premium lines

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would really   L O V E   to try Silversea, but even though there are folks who do not care whether their looks pee others off or not, I could not be fine with doing the same thing. So, Silversea will not be my luxury approach.

I understand that all other luxury / premium lines tend to be either kind of stuffy or kind of less modern / more chandelier-ish, right? Hmmm...

Viking might be an option for me, I guess. Modern and minimalistic but a little casual at the same time. Hmmm... 

5 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

I would really   L O V E   to try Silversea, but even though there are folks who do not care whether their looks pee others off or not, I could not be fine with doing the same thing. So, Silversea will not be my luxury approach.

I understand that all other luxury / premium lines tend to be either kind of stuffy or kind of less modern / more chandelier-ish, right? Hmmm...

Viking might be an option for me, I guess. Modern and minimalistic but a little casual at the same time. Hmmm... 

It is a myth that "all other luxury/premium lines tend to be either kind of stuffy or kind of less modern/more chandelier-ish"

Most people are not stuffy (and some, though less,  are just as boorish as on mainstream lines)

Yes, Regent has a lot of glitz on its newer ships but Seabourn does not

The newer Silversea ships (Moon, Dawn) also look modern and are neither stuffy nor glitzy

You live in Germany, so you may also be comfortable around Germans -- Europa 2 of Hapag Lloyd is very casual, not stuffy, has many travelers your age who are not stuffy, and has better food and service than the English language lines, IMHO.

If you just live in Germany but don't speak German, be assured on board languages there are both English and German (including menus) and there is an international hostess and a solo get-together.

Its luxury sister ship Europa has equal luxury and, minimalistic lines in its decor, but it is German only, and the crowd is older, and less outgoing (i.e., more "German German")

• Thanks 1

Europa / Europa 2 and their company sisters Hanseatic and Inspiration are way out of anything that I´d call reasonably priced. Hard to find a cruise with 3 or more port stops under 10000 $. And I am German - but so not German... That is why I always do US ships. You never feel alone on a US ship.

About Silversea - I keep reading they are hanging their clothing / dress code standards higher than all the others or almost all the others. I´m not going there, otherwise they would attract me very much. The newer ships as mentioned. Their pricing is a bit more realistic, as well.

Might have to do some research on Regent and Seabourn.

9 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

Europa / Europa 2 and their company sisters Hanseatic and Inspiration are way out of anything that I´d call reasonably priced. Hard to find a cruise with 3 or more port stops under 10000 $. And I am German - but so not German... That is why I always do US ships. You never feel alone on a US ship.

About Silversea - I keep reading they are hanging their clothing / dress code standards higher than all the others or almost all the others. I´m not going there, otherwise they would attract me very much. The newer ships as mentioned. Their pricing is a bit more realistic, as well.

Might have to do some research on Regent and Seabourn.

Yes, it is true that the Hapag Lloyd ships are more expensive per diem -- real luxury , as opposed to faux "luxury" we see lately on ships that call themselves luxury, has a cost.  

However, the single supplement for a base suite on HL is usually 50%, whereas on Regent, the supplement is almost always 100%.  SB has a few cruises where the solo supplement is low (usually the less than desirable ones) , but typically it is 100%.  So that will affect the overall price calculus for a solo trying to do a so-called "luxury" cruise. 

SS (new ships only -- the Moon and Dawn, next year the Nova), offers reasonable solo supplements, and pricing (food is not as fantastic as on HL, but you get what you pay for), and has solo get-togethers and tables

One dark jacket and tie would get you through all venues without problem (though most of the time, you do not need even that), and no tie or jacket on most nights.  Keep an open mind to SS.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

It is a myth that "all other luxury/premium lines tend to be either kind of stuffy or kind of less modern/more chandelier-ish"

Most people are not stuffy (and some, though less,  are just as boorish as on mainstream lines)

I have been "shopping" for a cruise on a luxury level ship.  I have learned quite a bit from reading and reacting to posts and blogs on the Silverseas and Seabourn Message Boards, including yours.  From what I have learned, as well as my sole luxury cruise experience as a Yacht Club guest on MSC Meraviglia, I certainly support the two quotes of yours above.  The tone that I sense from those who post on all three Message Boards (those posts on MSC that pertain to Yacht Club) support what I sense and what I have learned.  

When I sailed on Meraviglia, I wondered what I would experience as a YC guest.  My fellow guests with whom I interacted were friendly, engaging, had similar interests as mine, invited me as a solo cruiser to join them for dinner; in short:  they "put their pants on the same way I do".

Lots of myths about cruising and the poster to whom you responded has fallen for one of them.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I have been "shopping" for a cruise on a luxury level ship.  I have learned quite a bit from reading and reacting to posts and blogs on the Silverseas and Seabourn Message Boards, including yours.  From what I have learned, as well as my sole luxury cruise experience as a Yacht Club guest on MSC Meraviglia, I certainly support the two quotes of yours above.  The tone that I sense from those who post on all three Message Boards (those posts on MSC that pertain to Yacht Club) support what I sense and what I have learned.  

When I sailed on Meraviglia, I wondered what I would experience as a YC guest.  My fellow guests with whom I interacted were friendly, engaging, had similar interests as mine, invited me as a solo cruiser to join them for dinner; in short:  they "put their pants on the same way I do".

Lots of myths about cruising and the poster to whom you responded has fallen for one of them.  

I think some of the people who post on the SS forum are a subset of the general SS cruising population.  Very few cruisers have even heard of Cruise Critic and based on my experience traveling with so-called luxury cruise and jet journey companies is that most people do not “put on airs” or try to make others feel inferior- unlike some posters here on CC.  Let’s face it…real luxury is chartering or owning your own yacht or jet and those people are rarely if ever on a cruise ship!

I agree that the dress suggestions on SS are a real negative but it’s only for 1 or 2 nights per cruise and if you have dinner in certain venues you do not have to comply.  Also if cruising on their expedition cruises, in Alaska or on the 7-day Med. cruises then there are no formal nights.  Gives me hope they will eventually give it up.

• Like 2