50% WiFi Discount/Credit - Or Lack Thereof

Bgwest

15 hours ago, Bgwest said:

This is a $150 OBC and is easily traceable back to its source. 

if the Princess #8 bullet point specifically says “no cash value”, it has really started to appear as though this particular OBC is non-refundable. I hope I’m wrong. 

It says 'refund credit'.   Completely ambiguous.

I think Princess' new slogan will be 'Come back confused.'

😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

55 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

The saga continues. 

I was at the Internet Cafe promptly at 0900 when they opened and spoke with the manager. 

After making a couple of phone calls, the Internet manager advised that our initial payment of $300 has been refunded to our credit card on file and the new $150 charge represents payment in full for our4 device package for this cruise. 

he walked upstairs with me to the purser’s desk where he and I spoke with the finance manager who confirmed all of this. Now, if the credit appears on our MC as promised we will be 100% whole. 

he emphasized that per purchasing before the cruise is the smart money move. This is exactly as @Steelers36has been advising since the beginning of these new protocols. 

still unresolved is whether this OBC is refundable or non-refundable 

IMO, it is resolved.  You are being charged the net amount of $150 to your on board account and the original purchase is 100% refunded.  Therefore, it is like you got 50% back in cash (refundable).  In order for equal treatment, if you paid in advance, you should get refundable OBC on board.

In truth, they should just charge us the net amount and it is a bit of a pain.  But, refundable OBC is fine.  At least you didn't have to debate over being charged the on-board pricing of $25/day for 4 devices.

Looks like they are being good about making the pre-cruise price in effect for folks who ordered ahead.  The only thing they don't seem to be doing is charging the net cost when ordering via MC App ahead of time.  I imagine the trouble on this voyage is a one-time thing and they will get it right going forward. 

It is good to read that the staff on board worked to make it right.

I was just on the Grand 4 day and booked the single device internet ahead of time. The OBC refund came back in 2 pieces, on 2 different days, but added up $20.  When I logged in the first time, it gave me the option to upgrade to the 4 device package for $20, which I did.

7 hours ago, donswife said:

I was just on the Grand 4 day and booked the single device internet ahead of time. The OBC refund came back in 2 pieces, on 2 different days, but added up $20.  When I logged in the first time, it gave me the option to upgrade to the 4 device package for $20, which I did.

Right.  And the upgrade was offered at 50% off.

13 hours ago, LreedCA said:

Our shipboard account does not say Non-refundable, so I will assume it is refundable.  

The OBC that is currently showing in our account is definitely NON Refundable. 

I say “currently” as it is still changing day by day. The $150 charge that appeared yesterday,  apparently to offset the $300 credit to be issued to my credit card, vanished overnight.  

talk about a moving target!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently I’m on the Grand Princess in Cabo right now.  I signed up for four device internet. The process to connect was so smooth and the speeds are amazingly fast.  It’s all based on the satellite uplink area the ship is traveling in

to answer the question about the discount… yes I received a discount.  The purchase price for the four device linkup was $99 fir the five days.  On my statement in the app a refund was given $25.  Which isn’t too bad for a five day trip.    

I wasn’t aware how they were handling the discount but the single device was $45 fir the trip. So the refund reflects the single link price.

It didn’t account for my wife’s 50%,  but… it may have been I elected the option for two of us.

On 10/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, Bgwest said:

The OBC that is currently showing in our account is definitely NON Refundable. 

I say “currently” as it is still changing day by day. The $150 charge that appeared yesterday,  apparently to offset the $300 credit to be issued to my credit card, vanished overnight.  

talk about a moving target!!!

I will keep watching your posts on this topic because the policy is that the rebate is Refundable.  It is only logical since there is no non-refundable OBC when purchasing on board.  I maintain that some ship personnel are not properly informed/trained on this area.

42 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

When is Princess going to allow passengers to purchase internet packages thru their website instead of having to call my PVP?

You should be able to make the purchase through the app.  Go to Medallion Net and click purchase.

Document your purchase.  Last week, my order disappeared.  It was reinstated.  Early this morning it disappeared again.  Called Princess at 8 AM.  "We see it".  The surprises never end.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I will keep watching your posts on this topic because the policy is that the rebate is Refundable.  It is only logical since there is no non-refundable OBC when purchasing on board.  I maintain that some ship personnel are not properly informed/trained on this area.

@Steelers36Nothing much has changed since my last post on the subject this past Wednesday other than the fact that the $150 WiFi charge that appeared on my account (to be offset by a $300 credit on my credit card) vanished the same day it appeared. The promised $300 credit to my credit card also did not happen. 

All of this is just fine with me as we still have a $60 (non-refundable) WiFi credit and a $100 (Refundable) goodwill credit. I’m happy to accept the extra $10 as an “aggregation credit”. 

Yet still unresolved is the entire refundable versus nonrefundable issue. However I’ve decided to stop pushing this particular string. There is an easy workaround to make the non-refundable OBC become refundable.

Perhaps others who sail in the next few weeks will chime in on this subject to provide additional information. Our next cruise isn’t until December on the CB. At that time I’ll be eager to see how all of this is handled. 

13 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

@Steelers36Nothing much has changed since my last post on the subject this past Wednesday other than the fact that the $150 WiFi charge that appeared on my account (to be offset by a $300 credit on my credit card) vanished the same day it appeared. The promised $300 credit to my credit card also did not happen. 

All of this is just fine with me as we still have a $60 (non-refundable) WiFi credit and a $100 (Refundable) goodwill credit. I’m happy to accept the extra $10 as an “aggregation credit”. 

Yet still unresolved is the entire refundable versus nonrefundable issue. However I’ve decided to stop pushing this particular string. There is an easy workaround to make the non-refundable OBC become refundable.

Perhaps others who sail in the next few weeks will chime in on this subject to provide additional information. Our next cruise isn’t until December on the CB. At that time I’ll be eager to see how all of this is handled. 

If I were you, I too would just let the sleeping dog lie and be quietly thankful for the bonus $10 for my troubles.  There is no way they should be "getting away with" labelling the $100 as "goodwill" since you were entitled to it.  I do agree it will be interesting to learn of other experiences.

• Like 1

Some news about ordering MedallionNet in the MC App. 

When you order the internet pre-cruise, it is supposed to recognize CC Status and apply the 50% discount if eligible.  This is not happening since MNet ordering was added.  IDK if this is an IT miss, and IT bug, or purposely deferred due to other priorities, but it is being looked into and I hope to provide an update on this. 

Also, the 50% rebate (assuming you are charged full price) is supposed to be Refundable OBC.  The most recent ships that started sailing again have had uneven policy and confusion on this and it too is being looked into.

Finally, a new piece of info.  Supposedly, if you wait until on board, and order the MNet on embarkation (DAY 1), you will be charged at the pre-cruise rate ($10/day for 1-device and $20/day for 4-devices).  AFTER that first day, the price goes up to the $15/$25 rates. 

This means, those folks who want to pay with OBC can wait until on board - but make sure it is on your DAY 1 To-Do list.  Someone on a ship now might want to visit the IC Cafe and ask the Mgr, but this is what it should be.  Perhaps this is happening as folks were reporting getting the $10/day rate on early Majestic sailings and I had assumed it was being done as folks could not easily pre-order the internet plan.  

This policy is new to me as I was not informed of it when informed of the new MNet pricing and how it was going to work.  It is a bit of a game-changer for those who want the lower price and also want to use up OBC.  (It is also like the pre-Covid days when we HAD to wait until on board Day 1 to get our discount).

Once the above is all settled on the ships and working in MC App, it should be the best of both worlds for guests.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

LOL- I saw you had posted and was expecting something more interesting.  😉

I posted to the wrong but similar thread. Oops!

I haven’t caught up with the internet manager yet today. 

On 10/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, CruisinCouple2010 said:

We purchased the single device package and the same thing happened to us on the Emerald as well. I went to the passenger services desk first and they didn’t seem to know about the discount of 50% either. It was eventually corrected but not given to me as refundable credit. It’s no problem for me though as we will be using  all our credits for the gratuities.

I'm concerned about this also. We're platinum, and I already purchased a 1 device package for our 10 day cruise for $100. However, other than here on the CC board, I can find no information on the 50% discount about which folks are talking. Has anyone found anything in writing, officially by Princess, that I can site if others have problems with their 50% onboard discount once on board? I think I saw it once, somewhere, but haven't been able to get much done at Princess.com lately - keep getting error messages. Please don't even mention the Medallion app! 😳

We don't sail until Feb 2022, and I don't plan on working on this particular issue until we've boarded. I have other issues, like trying to get a couple of .375 ml bottles of scotch ordered for cabin delivery. Always before I've ordered that via Princess Cellars well before we sailed, and it was never a problem. But I cannot find that option under Princess Cellars for the last 4 months, including yesterday. I figure I will get on the phone a day or two prior to final payment and tell them my payment is contingent on getting my scotch ordered! maybe that will work, eh?😉

Doug

• Like 1

Just now, PaperSniper4 said:

I'm concerned about this also. We're platinum, and I already purchased a 1 device package for our 10 day cruise for $100. However, other than here on the CC board, I can find no information on the 50% discount about which folks are talking. Has anyone found anything in writing, officially by Princess, that I can site if others have problems with their 50% onboard discount once on board? I think I saw it once, somewhere, but haven't been able to get much done at Princess.com lately - keep getting error messages. Please don't even mention the Medallion app! 😳

We don't sail until Feb 2022, and I don't plan on working on this particular issue until we've boarded. I have other issues, like trying to get a couple of .375 ml bottles of scotch ordered for cabin delivery. Always before I've ordered that via Princess Cellars well before we sailed, and it was never a problem. But I cannot find that option under Princess Cellars for the last 4 months, including yesterday. I figure I will get on the phone a day or two prior to final payment and tell them my payment is contingent on getting my scotch ordered! maybe that will work, eh?😉

Doug

Open then print/save the link in post #5 of this thread. Should get you what you are looking for. 

@PaperSniper4 as requested here is a link to the captain circle benefits which will show the 50% off Medallion net for Platinum and Elite. Scroll down to foot note 8 of the page and it explains that those who purchase prior to boarding will get the 50% refunded onboard. 

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/cc/captains-circle-loyalty-benefits.pdf

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

@PaperSniper4 as requested here is a link to the captain circle benefits which will show the 50% off Medallion net for Platinum and Elite. Scroll down to foot note 8 of the page and it explains that those who purchase prior to boarding will get the 50% refunded onboard. 

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/cc/captains-circle-loyalty-benefits.pdf

Thank you very much. I guess I skipped over that when I started reading the thread earlier.....good thing it wasn't a snake in the grass!😳

Doug

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Slightly over a third of a ml is a very small bottle.

Yep, about 12 ounces. But that's enough for me for about 4-5 nights. I am a light drinker. And of course, one can order more than one of those "very small bottles". 😉

Doug

On 10/23/2021 at 8:54 AM, PrincessLuver said:

Does anybody know how it will be handled if each you and your wife qualify for a 50% discount?

My best guess, we both had to separately order the WiFi access, but we would be limited to one device each.  The other option is four devices… but we wouldn’t need that added expense…. When you place the order you pay the retail charge, you’re refunded the “50%” as ship board credit.  So I highly recommend you purchase the package on board.  

15 minutes ago, DuaneO said:
On 10/23/2021 at 8:54 AM, PrincessLuver said:

Does anybody know how it will be handled if each you and your wife qualify for a 50% discount?

My best guess, we both had to separately order the WiFi access, but we would be limited to one device each.  The other option is four devices… but we wouldn’t need that added expense…. When you place the order you pay the retail charge, you’re refunded the “50%” as ship board credit.  So I highly recommend you purchase the package on board

Why?? If each is Elite and each orders internet before hand it's $10 per cruiser / $20 for 4 devices with  $5 or $10 credit onboard. If you wait until you board it's $15 / $25 with 50% back. So you pay a little more per day by waiting. But it adds up. If 2 are Elite it is still only 50% back. I have not heard of 100% back from anyone on the cruise I was on. Are you saying those who booked Best Value won't spend $5 day in gratuities?? Like I said, I'm confused by your advice:

21 minutes ago, DuaneO said:

I highly recommend you purchase the package on board.