Just got a call from Celebrity about an itinerary change on my NYE cruise.

Stockjock

48 minutes ago, JRG said:

It's been "Pump it and Dump it" for the cruiselines approach to Caribbean sailings since they restarted,  everybody is caught up in the same "Value Trap" too.

I'd put a "Trailing Stop" on this cruise if it gets worse and do what we did...

book a week at Aviara Carlsbad or try Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Coast.

Both are really nice resorts in good locations and you won't get the Q-tip up the nose.

I was going to recommend Pelican Hill or Montage. The G/F will love it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garyl62 said:

So just to make sure I understand the compensation they are offering:

Is the total offer $50 OBC?  Or are they giving you a prorated refund of one day, pulse the $50 OBC.  Your post seems like just the $50, but I've never heard of them removing a day and not prorating the fare to reflect a comparable reduction. 

It's been about 4 years, but we had a 5 day Summit trip shortened to 4 due to maintenance work being performed and we received a refund equal to one day, plus some OBC for the inconvenience.  

According to the woman on the phone $50 OBC per person and that's it.

22 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

According to the woman on the phone $50 OBC per person and that's it.

I would double check that, because I would expect a pro-ration if the trip is shortened which would make you whole and then OBC for the aggravation.  I agree that the all the changes taken together including the ports would be very disappointing.

3 hours ago, Zigster said:

We're on this sailing as well as the 4 day prior. Haven't received a phone call or email. Are they saying the cruise will end on 1/3 rather than 1/4?  I understand the port issues but not understanding why they just didn't have another sea day?  

I don't understand the port issues.  Cozumel is open for cruise ships, so why cancel that stop and replace w/Bimini/Nassau? 

4 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I don't understand the port issues.  Cozumel is open for cruise ships, so why cancel that stop and replace w/Bimini/Nassau? 

Timing, likely, now that the cruise has been shortened. Bimini/Nassau is much closer to Florida than Cozumel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Timing, likely, now that the cruise has been shortened. Bimini/Nassau is much closer to Florida than Cozumel.

Yes, but the 4 night that leaves on 12/26 goes from Miami to Cozumel.  So if Cozumel is open and they're already doing 4 nights from Miami to Cozumel, wouldn't it make more sense to just do Miami to Cozumel?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Yes, but the 4 night that leaves on 12/26 goes from Miami to Cozumel.  So if Cozumel is open and they're already doing 4 nights from Miami to Cozumel, wouldn't it make more sense to just do Miami to Cozumel?

but they are not

FWIW, called Celebrity and held for 1.5 hours then got disconnected.  Called back after I went for a walk.  Held for another 1.5 hours.  The agent finally answered with such a horrible connection that we couldn't hear each other.

That's one of the bad things about having employees working from home.  Some have pretty bad connections and communications setups.

31 minutes ago, Oville said:

How about canceling your cruise, keep the flights and hotel and spending some time in the Keys.  Your dress buying is very generous so live it up in Fl.

All options are on the table.  I'll be interested in having further conversations with Celebrity once they have these changes in their system.

7 hours ago, Stockjock said:

FWIW, called Celebrity and held for 1.5 hours then got disconnected.  Called back after I went for a walk.  Held for another 1.5 hours.  The agent finally answered with such a horrible connection that we couldn't hear each other.

That's one of the bad things about having employees working from home.  Some have pretty bad connections and communications setups.

Try calling at off hrs.  Recent hold times for us less than 15 min

If Celebrity isn't offering a great deal more than $50 OBC per person, I wouldn't think twice about cancelling. The change in itinerary is one thing, but there is no excuse for not providing prorated compensation for the shortened cruise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If Celebrity isn't offering a great deal more than $50 OBC per person, I wouldn't think twice about cancelling. The change in itinerary is one thing, but there is no excuse for not providing prorated compensation for the shortened cruise.

Exactly! I'm on that cruise as well and there's no way I'm going to book and pay for a 5 day cruise and then get a 4 day cruise without a refund for the lost day. It doesn't sound right and I hope it isn't.

Edited by uCruiser

The resolutions supervisor said her hands were tied, and suggested that I e-mail the executive offices.  Here's the message I sent...

Hello,

A very nice resolutions supervisor named ****** suggested that I contact you.

My girlfriend and I booked a 5-night New Year’s Eve cruise on Summit.  The itinerary started in Miami with ports of call in Key West and Cozumel.

I was informed yesterday that this has changed to a 4-night cruise with stops in Bimini (Bahamas) and Nassau.  So a shorter cruise plus a substantially inferior itinerary, in my view.  I was also told that compensation offered was $50 per person, which I consider to be underwhelming, to say the least.

I asked her if one of the following would be possible:

1. Move to another New Year’s Eve cruise at least 5 nights, or longer, at the same price as I paid.  

2. A substantial price reduction plus perhaps an upgrade to a suite or similar for the inconvenience, the fact that the cruise is shorter, and because the cruise itinerary is now inferior.

***** said that she did not have authority to make those changes, but suggested that I write to you.

While cancellation is a possibility, we’d prefer not to take that route.  We’ve been cooped up for 2 years due to the Covid lockdown, and we were really looking forward to finally getting out and going somewhere for a change.  

It is also a birthday cruise for me and kind of a big one (60) and my girlfriend’s birthday was in November.  I have purchased a new tuxedo for myself and 4 nice dresses for my girlfriend.  Obviously, we have hotel and flights in place, but of course the primary issue is the shortening of the cruise and inferior ports that Summit will now visit.

I also wanted to share some problems with your phones which resulted in multiple disconnects on holds of over 6 hours, in total.  Here is a post that I shared today on CruiseCritic, in the Celebrity forum.

“What the heck is going on with Celebrity’s phones?

As mentioned, we got word that there will apparently be a schedule change on my NYE cruise. I couldn't really talk, but called back later.

After 1.5 hours on hold, was disconnected.

Called back later, another 1.5 hours on hold and the agent had a horrible connection and couldn't hear me or vice versa (my phone is fine).

Called in the evening.  Another hour on hold.  Agent saw no changes but said I should call back this morning.

Called this morning.  After another 1.5 hours on hold, I could barely hear the agent, but he couldn't hear me and disconnected (again, I am working from home and my phone is fine).

Called after noon.  Maybe 1 hour on hold.  Finally connected, but only heard silence.  I couldn't hear them, they couldn't hear me.

What the heck?

FWIW, on hold with Captain's Club for 1 hour, 6 minutes, so far.  They did answer fairly quickly and can hear me.  They'll trying to reach a supervisor (I think) and told me that it could be another 40 to 45 minute hold.  I told them I've been on hold for at least 6 hours so far, so what's another 45 minutes?

I would appreciate your consideration of points 1 and 2 and perhaps a superior offer.  Celebrity is a premier cruise line and while we all know that changes do occur, I do respectfully feel that the current offer, at this late date, is not what I would consider to be reasonable.

Regards,

Stockjock

3 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

The resolutions supervisor said her hands were tied, and suggested that I e-mail the executive offices.  Here's the message I sent...

Hello,

A very nice resolutions supervisor named ****** suggested that I contact you.

My girlfriend and I booked a 5-night New Year’s Eve cruise on Summit.  The itinerary started in Miami with ports of call in Key West and Cozumel.

I was informed yesterday that this has changed to a 4-night cruise with stops in Bimini (Bahamas) and Nassau.  So a shorter cruise plus a substantially inferior itinerary, in my view.  I was also told that compensation offered was $50 per person, which I consider to be underwhelming, to say the least.

I asked her if one of the following would be possible:

1. Move to another New Year’s Eve cruise at least 5 nights, or longer, at the same price as I paid.  

2. A substantial price reduction plus perhaps an upgrade to a suite or similar for the inconvenience, the fact that the cruise is shorter, and because the cruise itinerary is now inferior.

***** said that she did not have authority to make those changes, but suggested that I write to you.

While cancellation is a possibility, we’d prefer not to take that route.  We’ve been cooped up for 2 years due to the Covid lockdown, and we were really looking forward to finally getting out and going somewhere for a change.  

It is also a birthday cruise for me and kind of a big one (60) and my girlfriend’s birthday was in November.  I have purchased a new tuxedo for myself and 4 nice dresses for my girlfriend.  Obviously, we have hotel and flights in place, but of course the primary issue is the shortening of the cruise and inferior ports that Summit will now visit.

I also wanted to share some problems with your phones which resulted in multiple disconnects on holds of over 6 hours, in total.  Here is a post that I shared today on CruiseCritic, in the Celebrity forum.

“What the heck is going on with Celebrity’s phones?

As mentioned, we got word that there will apparently be a schedule change on my NYE cruise. I couldn't really talk, but called back later.

After 1.5 hours on hold, was disconnected.

Called back later, another 1.5 hours on hold and the agent had a horrible connection and couldn't hear me or vice versa (my phone is fine).

Called in the evening.  Another hour on hold.  Agent saw no changes but said I should call back this morning.

Called this morning.  After another 1.5 hours on hold, I could barely hear the agent, but he couldn't hear me and disconnected (again, I am working from home and my phone is fine).

Called after noon.  Maybe 1 hour on hold.  Finally connected, but only heard silence.  I couldn't hear them, they couldn't hear me.

What the heck?

FWIW, on hold with Captain's Club for 1 hour, 6 minutes, so far.  They did answer fairly quickly and can hear me.  They'll trying to reach a supervisor (I think) and told me that it could be another 40 to 45 minute hold.  I told them I've been on hold for at least 6 hours so far, so what's another 45 minutes?

I would appreciate your consideration of points 1 and 2 and perhaps a superior offer.  Celebrity is a premier cruise line and while we all know that changes do occur, I do respectfully feel that the current offer, at this late date, is not what I would consider to be reasonable.

Regards,

Stockjock

If they reduced the cost of the 4 day v 5 day based on a per diem basis, would that work for you?

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

If they reduced the cost of the 4 day v 5 day based on a per diem basis, would that work for you?

It would be a good start.  I would prefer a bit more, as it's a vastly inferior itinerary and I would have out-of-pocket costs between flight changes and/or the addition of an extra night's hotel stay.

I think a price reduction and a stateroom upgrade (if available) would not be unreasonable.  Or same cabin and a more substantial price reduction. 

Edited by Stockjock

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

37 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

It would be a good start.  I would prefer a bit more, as it's a vastly inferior itinerary and I would have out-of-pocket costs between flight changes and/or the addition of an extra night's hotel stay.

I think a price reduction and a stateroom upgrade (if available) would not be unreasonable.  Or same cabin and a more substantial price reduction. 

As I commented on previously, we had a 5 day turn into a 4 day one time.  We were informed 2 weeks before sailing.  It was a San Juan departure and we had flights and one night in a hotel booked.  Our canceled day was day 1 so I just called the hotel and added a night.  We did receive a prorated refund one day and some OBC.  In my case we ended up saving over $500 due to the higher cost suite we had booked vs the hotel (the Marriott which was not cheap either).  I guess my point is if they prorate a refund and give you some OBC, I'd think that is fair.  Port changes happen often and there is enough time before your sailing you are well aware of what you are buying so you can always cancel.  Doesn't make it easier, and I understand the frustration, but they can't upgrade everyone on the ship and everyone should be treated equally.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

As I commented on previously, we had a 5 day turn into a 4 day one time.  We were informed 2 weeks before sailing.  It was a San Juan departure and we had flights and one night in a hotel booked.  Our canceled day was day 1 so I just called the hotel and added a night.  We did receive a prorated refund one day and some OBC.  In my case we ended up saving over $500 due to the higher cost suite we had booked vs the hotel (the Marriott which was not cheap either).  I guess my point is if they prorate a refund and give you some OBC, I'd think that is fair.  Port changes happen often and there is enough time before your sailing you are well aware of what you are buying so you can always cancel.  Doesn't make it easier, and I understand the frustration, but they can't upgrade everyone on the ship and everyone should be treated equally.

Generally, I agree.  Although I do think that the squeaky wheel sometimes gets the grease.  I can be squeaky, but in a nice way.

I think most would agree that $50 OBC per person is laughable.

37 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Generally, I agree.  Although I do think that the squeaky wheel sometimes gets the grease.  I can be squeaky, but in a nice way.

I think most would agree that $50 OBC per person is laughable.

You are carrying on here…pretty dresses not withstanding.  

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

By bringing your demands to the Cruise Critic Boards and court of public opinion, I think you have just nixed any chance of getting resolution as you expect. 

A price reduction and upgrade, really?  If I were management at Celebrity I would choose to let you rant vs. making a deal with you that will end of being public and will set a standard for every other passenger. 

Your claim that the itinerary is "vastly interior" is a personal opinion.  

I would agree with some of the other folks here who suggested you cancel.  Life is short... And, turning 60 means if you probably only have 17-years left to enjoy this journey.  Happy Birthday!

The dresses are nice, but DIAMONDS really are a girl's best friend.

Cheers,

🍸

• Like 4

10 hours ago, garyl62 said:

Good example of how you can make some adjustments when  itin changes happen  and still have a great vacation.. esp if Celeb will pro rate for the 1 day, plus port charge.   OP at this point wants way  more than that.

My point is that alternative options  may be limited the longer it goes on..but I did enjoy seeing the dresses!

• Like 1

If you don't think the offer of $50 each OBC (and probably prorated) is reasonable you can cancel. For my Nov cruise I booked a hotel that I could cancel the day before and flight with points that I could cancel very shortly before.

On the Disney forums it always amused me that someone thought they should be treated with extra special care because they were celebrating a birthday/anniversary/whatnot milestone that occurred sometime in the 6 plus or minus months of the trip. As if no one else was celebrating a birthday/anniversary/whatnot milestone in that time frame or for which the trip was special.

If your GF hasn't worn the dresses you might still be in the return period. It would probably be more fun to wear them either on the cruise or elsewhere.

1 hour ago, twins_to_alaska said:

If you don't think the offer of $50 each OBC (and probably prorated) is reasonable you can cancel. For my Nov cruise I booked a hotel that I could cancel the day before and flight with points that I could cancel very shortly before.

On the Disney forums it always amused me that someone thought they should be treated with extra special care because they were celebrating a birthday/anniversary/whatnot milestone that occurred sometime in the 6 plus or minus months of the trip. As if no one else was celebrating a birthday/anniversary/whatnot milestone in that time frame or for which the trip was special.

If your GF hasn't worn the dresses you might still be in the return period. It would probably be more fun to wear them either on the cruise or elsewhere.

She will keep the dresses regardless.  I don't think she will like the black one with the broach though based on the photo, but we'll see how it looks on her once it arrives.  

Still hoping for a better resolution.  My booking now shows that we on an undefined cruise, which will presumably be updated soon. 

Carnival has some well-priced NYE cruises.  Rather than Bahamas, they stop at Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, Jamaica.  And at a much lower price, although we all know that you often get what you pay for.  So considered switching to that one, but GF says she cannot modify her vacation request.  Plus, truth be known, I don't think she is terribly fond of Carnival.  I'd have to agree, although I have enjoyed some of my earliest cruises on CCL.

You might want to join your roll call. Someone there said they were also offered airline change fees as shorter itinerary. And you can commiserate with others in (on) the same boat.

I was supposed to only be going to Grand Cayman for my 4 night Nov cruise but as still closed finally changed to Cozumel. Grand Cayman is going to Phase 4 opening Nov 20 but originally cruise ships weren't being allowed until post Phase 5. Not sure what current plan is for ships.

• Like 1