Moderna booster shots available at Costco

pcur

At least my local Costco pharmacy is scheduling appointments.  Mine is this Sat at 10am.  I checked Kaiser, CVS, Walgreens, and my local county health department.  Since I'm flying to HI on 11/1, I wanted to have my booster 10 days before I went, and this will juuuuuuust get me done with it.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, pcur said:

At least my local Costco pharmacy is scheduling appointments.  Mine is this Sat at 10am.  I checked Kaiser, CVS, Walgreens, and my local county health department.  Since I'm flying to HI on 11/1, I wanted to have my booster 10 days before I went, and this will juuuuuuust get me done with it.

I don't know if you had your antibodies checked prior to your booster but my MD actually checked them a little after 7 months from my second pfizer vaccine and turns out i had ZERO antibodies.  A few days before she checked my antibodies I did have my booster.  She took lab works again 3 weeks after the booster and I did have antibodies.  SO if you're thinking about the vaccine booster, beware you probably have zero antibodies after 6 months. So glad my MD did that test so I now know I really needed the booster.  I'm in the high risk age group so I'm always concerned. 

Edited by torpeedo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks...We get all our immunizations at the Costco pharmacy....They keep meticulous records and fax the info of each immunization to our primary care physician.

Unfortunately when we received our first & second Moderna vaccinations (Feb/March) Costco hadn't received the vaccine yet. Glad to know we can easily get our booster there now along with our flu shot which we'll do next week.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, pcur said:

At least my local Costco pharmacy is scheduling appointments.  Mine is this Sat at 10am.

What area of California?  For anybody 65+?  When I tried to schedule at our local Costco, they have plenty of appointments, but the website says:

Moderna third doses are only available to patients who are immunocompromised and received 2 doses of Moderna vaccine at least 28 days ago. Other patients are not eligible for additional Moderna doses at this time.

The website to schedule seems to be a national costcorx site.  

Edited by Lou33
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lou33 said:

What area of California?  For anybody 65+?  When I tried to schedule at our local Costco, they have plenty of appointments, but the website says:

Moderna third doses are only available to patients who are immunocompromised and received 2 doses of Moderna vaccine at least 28 days ago. Other patients are not eligible for additional Moderna doses at this time.

CDC just updated the booster shot guidelines for Moderna and I assume Costco will update their soon. 

• Thanks 1

All for getting the booster, hubby & I got ours yesterday.  But remember you are considered fully vaccinated with the second shot (or one shot of J&J).  At least for now, the booster is NOT a requirement for being fully vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pcur said:

Thanks for the "heads up".  I just made Moderna booster appointments for both my mom and husband at Costco tomorrow.  Safe travels to you!

• Like 2

We did ours at CVS this morning.  We fly to Fort Lauderdale in 2 weeks for a Celebrity cruise (no masks).  I have the tele tests and an appointment at our doctor’s office for our 2 days prior test.  For the last week I’ve been wearing a mask whenever we’re out, just as a precaution.

• Like 2

I have to wait until Dec to get the booster for Pfizer when I will be 65.  Have not been worried about any of this since it started, but since I already have the vaccine, figured I might as well get the booster also.  So once Dec gets here I will schedule it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

I have to wait until Dec to get the booster for Pfizer when I will be 65.

You may be able to get it now if you have an underlying medical condition.  The list of conditions on the CDC website is very extensive, and I would think that there are very few older people who don't fall into one of the categories.  It includes asthma, cancer survivor, former smoker, diabetes, obesity, hypertension.  

I would think that there are many people on a cruise ship who have "all" of those conditions.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

On the other hand, if you don't have any of the conditions listed, you should be fine.  Count your blessings.  

Edited by Lou33
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lou33 said:

You may be able to get it now if you have an underlying medical condition.  The list of conditions on the CDC website is very extensive, and I would think that there are very few older people who don't fall into one of the categories.  It includes asthma, cancer survivor, former smoker, diabetes, obesity, hypertension.  

I am super healthy, thin, work out every single day.  Never get sick.  So yes, very blessed.  So I have to wait until I am 65 in Dec to get it, which is fine with me. 

17 hours ago, Lou33 said:

I went to the costco.com web site with my zip code entered to go to my local store's web site.  Clicked on Pharmacy, and then "Immunizations Now" link.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We got boosted at our local Walgreens drug store. More convenient than fighting the crowds at Costco. 

I checked Walgreens yesterday, and CVS, and my county, and my health provider, then found Costco.  I want to get it 10 days in advance before I fly to Kauai.

I think everyone updated their web sites yesterday evening, but Costco got to it earlier. I got my appointment at 5pm for Saturday morning.

38 minutes ago, pcur said:

I went to the costco.com web site with my zip code entered to go to my local store's web site.  Clicked on Pharmacy, and then "Immunizations Now" link.

I was at my local Costco just now to pick up a prescription and was told they hadn't received the Moderna booster vaccine yet. I'm scheduled for our flu shot (over 65 option) next week and will check with them again. Nothing available on their website at least for my store.

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

I was at my local Costco just now to pick up a prescription and was told they hadn't received the Moderna booster vaccine yet. I'm scheduled for our flu shot (over 65 option) next week and will check with them again. Nothing available on their website at least for my store.

I think the vaccine will probably start arriving over this weekend, but I was checking CVS and Walgreen's, also.  Someone I know got an appointment at CVS (in Target) for tomorrow morning.

That's interesting. The Moderna boosters are a half dose and the Pfizer boosters are just a full third dose. The J&J booster is a full  dose of either Moderna or Pfizer. I don't know what any of that means, I just think it is interesting. :classic_smile: