Arriving early in London plan

mstoltz

Next summer we are cruising out of Southampton at 5:00 pm.    I don't like to fly the day of cruise departure in case the flights are delayed.  Therefore we are arriving at Heathrow the previous day at 9:30 am.  Upon further consideration, I am considering arriving another day earlier yet.  Here is the new plan..

Day 1 arriving in London, go to hotel, relax and adjust from jet lag.

Day 2, enjoy day in London with quick look at major sights, another night in London

Day 3, wake up, relax, catch transfer to Southhampton.

This seems like a good plan.  Am I missing anything?  

Sounds like a fairly good bare-bones outline, given the limited time you'll have.  I'll just add my two cents'-/ tuppence'-'orth to help flesh things out a bit and give you a few things to think about.

Day 1:  "Arrive..., go to hotel, relax, and adjust from jet lag."  This is fine as far as it goes.  However, your Day 1 activities will depend on the length of your flight, what time you're land at Heathrow and get into London, and when your earliest hotel check-in time is.  There's also the consideration of your general energy level and how well you recover from jet lag.  You might have some hours between your arrival time and when the room is actually ready, but many (most?) hotels will be happy to let you drop off your luggage.

In general, I always avoid the temptation to go to bed as soon as I check in at the hotel--I like to take some time to freshen up, and perhaps take a little cat-nap.  But don't let yourself fall into a deep slumber, or chances are you'll just screw up your internal clock.  Get out and take a walk and try to keep yourself going through the first afternoon.  On the other hand, don't push yourself so much that you're stumbling around like a zombie by mid-afternoon!  Have lunch, but don't drink alcohol.  Avoid sensory overload--don't spend hours in a museum on Day 1.

Years ago, flying from the northeast U.S., I always tried to take a flight with an early p.m. departure, arriving at Heathrow as early as 6 a.m. in order to (theoretically) give myself a full first day in London.  However, as I grew older, slightly wiser, and a tad less energetic, I realized that taking a flight that departed the east coast around 10 or 11 p.m. and landed at Heathrow later in the morning (perhaps a little before noon) actually kept me fresher and going longer into the day, allowing me to reset my internal clock more quickly.  With a late-night departure and an overnight flight that truly is "overnight," I can sleep on the plane more or less at a time when I'd actually be sleeping at home.

Day 2"a  quick look at major sights."  Well, a quick look at a few major sites, yes; but you won't be able to see everything you want to see.  Avoid the temptation to cram too many sites into the day; perhaps select a particular area of London and pick a few places that you really want to see in that area, and don't rush.  Perhaps start the day with a ho-ho bus tour (an excellent way for a first-time visitor to at least orient him-/herself) or a river cruise on the Thames.  Plan ahead.

Day 3"wake up, relax, catch transfer to Southhampton."  Excellent.  A mid-morning departure from London should get you to Southampton (one h, as the redoubtable John Bull will remind you!😉) in plenty of time for your embarkation.  I prefer the train from Waterloo Station (journey time an hour & 15 minutes), but you also have the option of coach (roughly two and a half hours) or private car transfer (ditto), or a slower train from Victoria Station (two and a half hours).

Bon voyage!

• Thanks 2

Nothing much to add to the excellent advice from the Captain. Just to say, if you can’t store luggage at your hotel (unlikely) on arrival, there are a variety of left -luggage options. Do take note of check-in time - some hotels, including the popular Premier Inn chain, pushed it back to 4 pm during the pandemic. Always worth asking for an early check-in, but I suspect less likely these days. 

9 hours ago, Post Captain said:

Day 2:    Perhaps start the day with a ho-ho bus tour (an excellent way for a first-time visitor to at least orient him-/herself) or a river cruise on the Thames.  

Day 3:  .  A mid-morning departure from London should get you to Southampton (one h, as the redoubtable John Bull will remind you!😉)

Bon voyage!

Excellent advice from the Captain.

Yes, because I live near Southampton I am contractually obliged to chide you for doubling Southampton's regulation number of "h"s. 😏

One thought - with such limited time in London I'd suggest that you take the ho-ho tour on Day 1, as soon as you've checked your luggage into your hotel.

Jet-lag affects different folk in different ways and to different extent, and it would make a great deal of sense to jump on a ho-ho bus as soon as you've checked your luggage into your hotel. A full ho-ho circuit takes about 2hrs 15, and even if you're quite sleepy you can see all the major sights except Buckingham Palace from your seat on the ho-ho. This will give you orientation and an over-view, help you to decide which places you'd like to see in depth next day, and you'll at least see from the outside the sights that you're not able to fit in on Day 2. 

But, because your flight might be delayed or you succumb to jet-lag or any other last-minute problem, don't buy ho-ho tickets in advance - just buy from the driver.

Ho-ho tickets are good for 24 hours from the time you first board, and they include a short River Thames cruise between Westminster Bridge (London Eye, Big Ben, etc) and the Tower of London.

But buy only one-day ho-ho tickets - don't rely on the ho-ho on Day 2 for fast transportation between sights that you want to see in depth - they're very slow compared to London's extensive underground system, "the Tube". Or hailing an iconic London black cab for a short journey

I'd suggest the places to see in depth might include Parliament Square (Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey) and from there a nominally 15 minute walk up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square, passing Churchill's War Rooms, 10 Downing Street (Prime Minister's house), Banqueting Hall (last surviving building of the original Westminster Palace) & Horse Guards Parade.  In central London there are also the Tower of L:ondon, Tower Bridge, the London Eye, St Paul's cathedral, Hyde Park, the Albert Hall, Covent Garden, and more museums, galleries & mnuments than you can shake a stick at - but with just the one full day you're  going to have to choose carefully, cos there's a couple of weeks-worth of sights.

Day 3. Yes, it's perfectly normal to transfer to Southampton from London on the morning of a cruise.

By train from Waterloo or Victoria, or by National Express coach or ship's transfer bus from Victoria, or by Stonehenge tour-transfer coach or private transfer from anywhere in central London.

Have you chosen a hotel yet - or even got an idea of which part of cenral London?

Waterloo is a good compromise between convenience for most sights & hotel rates, ideal for fast trains from London Gatwick airport and to Southampton, but no fun on public transport from London Heathrow so best by private transfer (pre-booked about £50).

Victoria for a wide range of hotels & prices, for Nat Express bus or the Tube from Heathrow, or train from Gatwick  and Nat Express bus or over-priced ships' transfers or slow (make that "very slow") trains to Southampton. Not quite as convenient for the sights as Waterloo.

Plenty of other districts, all with pros & cons.

Bookmark this site - there's a wealth of logistical information (but their private car transfers tend to be expensive)

https://www.londontoolkit.com/

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nini said:

Thank you so very much to our experts "across the pond"! We are keeping our fingers crossed for our May 2022 British Isles cruise. After all, Ancestry says I am 53% Scotch!

No, ancestry actually says you're 53% Scottish.

If you imbibe too much proper scotch whisky 🥃 and have to be carried back to the ship 🙃, you may well be 53% "scotch".  😏

And if you visit Ireland, you won't be dinking whisky, you'll be drinking whiskey

Complicated, innit 😄

JB 🙂

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 4:23 AM, Post Captain said:

but many (most?) hotels will be happy to let you drop off your luggage.

I'd advise checking with your hotel. In my experience over recent months, some UK hotels are not currently accepting luggage due to "Covid issues".  And others have put back their check-in times claiming a need to undertake further Covid related housekeeping duties. 

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

If you imbibe too much proper scotch whisky 🥃 and have to be carried back to the ship 🙃, you may well be 53% "scotch".  😏

And if you visit Ireland, you won't be dinking whisky, you'll be drinking whiskey

Complicated, innit 😄

JB 🙂

LOL! I think I have a lot to learn. I did not know if the term was "Scotch"

or "Scottish".   😁

On 10/27/2021 at 7:16 AM, John Bull said:

Complicated, innit 😄

JB 🙂

I guess my late father in law who was born in Glasgow and flew for the RAF in WWII before emigrating to the USA and who drank his fair share of Scotch was both Scottish and Scotch.

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I guess my late father in law who was born in Glasgow and flew for the RAF in WWII before emigrating to the USA and who drank his fair share of Scotch was both Scottish and Scotch.

Yes indeed.

Glaswegiansare excluded from chastisement about being Scotch 😊🥃

JB 🙂

My recommendation would be to get to London even sooner. Two nights is not enough, although that's all we had time for on our last trip. We managed to see two shows. Our major attraction on our full day was going to Kew Gardens. On our previous trips, we had been to Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace, the British Museum, Churchill War Rooms, National Gallery, Victoria and Albert, Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe, etc. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 12:10 AM, geoherb said:

Our major attraction on our full day was going to Kew Gardens. 

Did you take public transportation…bus or train….to Kew gardens?  Have been to London numerous times, but never to Kew Gardens.  It’s on the Bucket List now.  Thanks!

Your question wasn't addressed to me, but I'll jump in and answer. I always try to rely on transit when traveling (or at home, for that matter). It's been a while, but as I recall we took the tube out to Kew. We had lunch at a pub with a nice patio (the White Horse? I should look to see if it's still there). And we took one of the Thames ferries back, which was very pleasant.

Edited by frankp01

On 11/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, ladysail2 said:

Did you take public transportation…bus or train….to Kew gardens?

Underground is probably the easiest way from central London, although there are trains and buses. The tube station is only 500m from the Gardens. I usually stay in nearby Brentford (on the opposite side of the river), driving from home, when I visit the National Archives but have stayed in the centre a couple of times and got the tube to Kew.

Although it won't be at the top of any foreigner's list of places to visit on first trip, it is  a lovely place to visit. Perhaps have afternoon tea at the Maids of Honour which is just on the opposite side of the road from the Gardens (although I note from the menu that they are catering to foreigners, not Britons, by the reference to "high tea" not "afternoon tea", so it may have become quite touristy).

https://theoriginalmaidsofhonour.co.uk/pages/traditional-set-teas

FWIW, "high tea" is not "afternoon tea" to Britons. Although you won't see it used too often these days, it's basically a working class early dinner served around 5pm. It'll involve hot food such as a meat pie with potatoes and vegetables, perhaps followed by a slice of cake.

Thank you Frankp and Harters for your very informative answers. I also enjoy taking public transportation both at home and away.  I’ve yet to get to Kew gardens, but it’s on the list of things to do. My next trip isn’t until Nov 2022, and I sure hope travel will be like pre-Covid times.  I’m starting in Glasgow, then heading to Southampton. I haven’t decided about going to London yet.  If not, it will be a separate trip. 
Thank you again..😊

On 11/6/2021 at 11:21 AM, ladysail2 said:

Just in case, plan for a Covid test in case we still need them to embark the ship. Hopefully we won’t, but you never know.

We have 2 days in London before going to Dover. Where would we get our Covid test if they are required? We are fully vaccinated.

24 minutes ago, letsgo39 said:

We have 2 days in London before going to Dover. Where would we get our Covid test if they are required? We are fully vaccinated.

That might be my problem too. I’m really hoping that by next November, all these tests won’t be necessary. But just in case, I will be looking for the same information.  

As I plan our 2 day stay in London for next August, I have a question about the Buckingham Palace changing of the guard.  Most reviews on youtube show huge crowds and recommend arriving hours in advance.  Ugh, not an option.  A couple reviews recommend starting at the remote locations of the new guards and following them to Buckingham Palace and then following the old guards to their barracks.  Also some recommend the Horse Guards.  

Any thoughts? I enjoy watching ceremonial guards.

Watching the New Guard form up at Wellington Barracks and follow their march up the Mall to relieve the Old gives the best view of the Guards, but obviously not the actual ceremony. If there’s room on the Victoria Memorial hop up the steps there for a bit of a view. 

Horseguards is a wide open space, so you get a view with no railings and lots of space. It’s not what most people think of as the Changing of the Guards, so you will get better views, if you don’t mind mounted soldiers as opposed to infantry. 

The Dismount Parade in the entrance courtyard to Horseguards at 4 pm is a relief parade (the change from mounted sentries to dismounts for the night) , so no great drill or marching, but you can get surprisingly close.