“Live From” Z and TB’s Tapas and Sangria Tour

Zqueeze1

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

I'm up early this am...thinking of you guys getting ready to disembark....sigh. Boy, did that go fast!

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on the Explorer and for writing in a way that makes me feel like we're on board (still haven't gotten over the bloody mary pix!) Anyway, just wanted you to know that  your efforts were so appreciated!

We WILL sail together again!!!

Thanks!

Linda and John

Thank yous for the kind comments.  Not only do we enjoy writing this blog, but it also serves as our diary to refer to when we  have cruise withdrawals.  

Z and TB

• Like 3

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all who helped enlighten us on what the latest cruise experiences are!  We have less than a week before we head to Barcelona to try our first RSSC cruise on Splendor.  So excited!  And your thread has certainly helped to get us pumped up and less stressed about the entire thing!  Gracias!

11 hours ago, pdaniel said:

Your posts have been much appreciated and fun.

Where was that fabulous Bloody Mary served?

10 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Yes! Yes! Please tell us where that Bloody came from!!!

4 hours ago, RachelG said:

I have had a few Bloody Mary’s onboard regent, but never one that spectacular.  Please tell where it is obtained.

Wow. I didn’t realize we would stir the pot so much!  This infamous Bloody Mary is served every Saturday for breakfast at La Veranda.  The same goes for Sangria on Fridays.  I don’t know if this is only on the Explorer or if it is fleet wide but loved the idea. 
Z and TB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We got home today and will submit an update from our last day and today as soon as I get a good night’s sleep in our own bed.  Good to be back although The Boss drew the line today and refused to play the part of my butler. 
Z and TB

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!  We just had our first night at home and it feels great to sleep on our own bed!
On Saturday, 14 Nov, we woke up with anxiety knowing that it was to be our last day onboard.  After a liquid breakfast that included a Bloody Mary, we decided to get our packing out of the way and completed in time for our antigen test.  Regent did a great job and we were in and out in less than ten minutes.  Folks reported to the Observation lounge whenever their respective deck was called to report for testing. The whole ship was tested in less than two hours (0900-1100) and we were told later on in the day that everyone was negative.  
After testing was completed, we hit the pool for a while where the water was calm and warm.  I only stayed for a short while because I had a beer drinking appointment at 1100, but TB swam for two hours.  She was like a toddler in a kiddie pool. 
63E6D0A1-31F9-4E03-A898-8615C91B02BF.thumb.jpeg.f5e6ac3b533a6b42b03b5083a16ca09c.jpeg
We had one last lunch in La Veranda and took a power nap before getting ready for dinner which was at Prime 7 with John and Karen and Chris and John.  More to follow. 

Here’s one of my favorite shots I took of the main chandelier and staircase:

A74A7E36-AEF3-4A38-BA10-C82F1F982ADB.thumb.jpeg.ae72a87bf94cb7c1e67ab303ee64ada4.jpeg

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 1

We started our final evening with drinks at the Explorer lounge where folks were playing stump the comedian.  We were asked to retell our favorite joke.  For some reason the comedian kept asking me to say one, but the ones I recalled were either rated R or not politically correct so I passed. Most of the jokes were rather cute. 
The singing duo set the tone by playing one of my favorite Santana songs, “Samba Pa’ Ti” and it was hauntingly beautiful.  If you ever listen to this song, think of dawn and morning as the world wakes up to embrace another beautiful day.  
We moved to the Prime 7 bar for more drinks before dinner and realized that this bar is a hidden gem for those looking for an uncrowded and quiet place for a drink.  
For dinner, we sat in a table for six near the entrance of Prime 7 and had a wonderful evening. 

The rest of this dude was on our plates. 
CAD07016-8DDF-44E4-9239-C3F5BF3CCB9C.thumb.jpeg.9479c85c78f07ffd6b3848518e80e543.jpeg

This is a must have app in Prime 7, the crab cake

DE0359FE-D7B7-4BD1-9676-0E6DEC3FBF9E.thumb.jpeg.10f4190ac171150bb309dbe4229c77f0.jpeg

Wedge salad 

387298B9-0C03-4AD9-900B-B60634CD2A18.thumb.jpeg.08b2fbf2dd783cf001ef4688cbd5b992.jpeg

TB and I split an 18 ounce T-bone steak along with an app portion of Alaskan king crab legs. 

AC45535D-E90B-442C-B07F-7751823CE3FE.thumb.jpeg.b2a8eb45e49f025c30492b41fe356fc8.jpeg

Obligatory bone gnawing pic

8FE0DC94-69B8-4200-812A-B282AA1A8F06.thumb.jpeg.85b1838defe2d14c7aeb5ea1cd9627f3.jpeg

Our dinner group. We spent a lot of time together and had quite a few laughs during our cruise.
3B0634E9-9E08-4C91-AA06-C520626487EC.thumb.jpeg.30f48031455958175b7dc350d8f75ae0.jpeg

After dinner, TB and I returned to the Explorer lounge for a nightcap and got a surprisingly good White Russian. 

1084C892-F7F8-49E2-9C49-D5A3F8ABCA98.thumb.jpeg.e3655a2482a6ba4cd4b03bbc8bf2e3ce.jpeg

Regent had a Beatles party on deck four and we stayed for part of it before calling it a night. 

42D992F4-69FA-44C9-8366-F39357B01F69.thumb.jpeg.092a328c3a0157f855fbd74840b32135.jpeg

59DDB742-5A08-4480-B90C-8832B06C6DD3.thumb.jpeg.a77fe52606865dfdbb5d0ce71903a80c.jpeg

Z and TB

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DatawCruiser said:

Terrific job reporting on your voyage!  One question though. How long did it take to disembark in Miami and what time did you get off the ship?  Thanks.

The ship started disembarking around 0815. We were due to disembark at 0830, but were called about ten minutes later. It went smoothly and easily with luggage found right away.  However, if someone is going to get stopped by authorities, it’s usually me.  As we were exiting, an Agriculture rep took us to a separate room and had us open all our luggage and carryons looking for seeds, plants, etc.   I started sweating a little because I had liberated a couple of liquor bottles who were held against their wishes onboard. But, no need to worry.  After about twenty minutes, we grabbed a cabbie with intimate knowledge of every conceivable city but Miami.  He tried to take 95 South instead of North and I had to guide him along major roads.  Hopefully, other folks had a similar departure experience sans getting searched. 
8685CC27-7186-4477-BE3B-06ABDD352A8E.thumb.jpeg.3609b82b4b490b5d3226983f7556ad5e.jpeg
Z and TB

I have to add my thanks and praise for this wonderful report.  I have followed along with you and enjoyed every moment and photo.  I am drooling with expectation and anticipation.  We will board in 24 days and I'm sure we'll feel more at home and settled as soon as we step foot on the ship because of your efforts.  I hope  to meet you onboard one day.  Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for taking your time and for making such a great travel diary. I vicariously crossed the Atlantic with you and all the other travelers.

We canceled at the last minute, but we’re happy to welcome our first grandchild-mom and baby are both healthy and happy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

Thank you for taking your time and for making such a great travel diary. I vicariously crossed the Atlantic with you and all the other travelers.

We canceled at the last minute, but we’re happy to welcome our first grandchild-mom and baby are both healthy and happy. 

Sorry we did not meet, but congrats on tour first grandchild!

V/R

Z

• Like 1

All:  Reference Posts 270 and 271--

Somewhat of a surprise, and a pleasant one, was seamless transition at Miami Port's Terminal J from ship to shore.  This was a contrast based on previous experiences reported on other Threads related to Miami Ports over the years.  All involved delays, some extending 1.5 to 2 hours. 

Not this time.  In fact, a bit ahead of schedule for getting folks off the ship.  No-doubt, part of this was Explorer had only about 60% of the normal passenger load. Then, a private car transfer to the Ft. Lauderdale International Airport (FLIA). 

The ensuing aspect once at FLIA was the only negative of the entire trip.   FLIA was simply inadequate in handling a sudden influx of passengers disembarked yesterday from several large cruise ships which arrived either at Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.  Throngs of folks in the general Terminal area, with limited places to sit and wait until opportunity to get checked-in with various airlines; dispose of bags; and get through the security screening. 

Alaska Airlines, our carrier for a N/S to SEATAC, was derelict in handling passengers who had to line up, standing, for over two hours just to begin the process.  Their method of handling this was NOT TO. 

Once through TSA security, it was into the general terminal.  Again, a mess.  Inadequate seating, either in the only two restaurants in Concourse C, or at the Gates.  Social distancing?  A joke.  More like a glorified cattle-car atmosphere. 

Lesson learned which will be applied when we replicate this segment in November, 2023 aboard Grandeur.  We will NOT utilize FLIA.  Depart via Miami International.  And, certainly will not consider Alaska Airlines (which, anyway, at this time does not have a presence at Miami International). 

To end contributions to this Thread on a positive note--echo others in extending appreciation to Zqueeze1 for giving other virtual fellow travelers a real sense of this trip. 

Now, hopefully, on to Tokyo in less than five months for the last segment of Mariner's2022 World Cruise ending at SFC.

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Edit
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

All:  Reference Posts 270 and 271--

Somewhat of a surprise, and a pleasant one, was seamless transition at Miami Port's Terminal J from ship to shore.  This was a contrast based on previous experiences reported on other Threads related to Miami Ports over the years.  All involved delays, some extending 1.5 to 2 hours. 

Not this time.  In fact, a bit ahead of schedule for getting folks off the ship.  No-doubt, part of this was Explorer had only about 60% of the normal passenger load. Then, a private car transfer to the Ft. Lauderdale International Airport (FLIA). 

The ensuing aspect once at FLIA was the only negative of the entire trip.   FLIA was simply inadequate in handling a sudden influx of passengers disembarked yesterday from several large cruise ships which arrived either at Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.  Throngs of folks in the general Terminal area, with limited places to sit and wait until opportunity to get checked-in with various airlines; dispose of bags; and get through the security screening. 

Alaska Airlines, our carrier for a N/S to SEATAC, was derelict in handling passengers who had to line up, standing, for over two hours just to begin the process.  Their method of handling this was NOT TO. 

Once through TSA security, it was into the general terminal.  Again, a mess.  Inadequate seating, either in the only two restaurants in Concourse C, or at the Gates.  Social distancing?  A joke.  More like a glorified cattle-car atmosphere. 

Lesson learned which will be applied when we replicate this segment in November, 2023 aboard Grandeur.  We will NOT utilize FLIA.  Depart via Miami International.  And, certainly will not consider Alaska Airlines (which, anyway, at this time does not have a presence at Miami International). 

To end contributions to this Thread on a positive note--echo others in extending appreciation to Zqueeze1 for giving other virtual fellow travelers a real sense of this trip. 

Now, hopefully, on to Tokyo in less than five months for the last segment of Mariner's2022 World Cruise ending at SFC.

GOARMY!

Thanks, GOARMY!   We are about six months out from our next cruise which is Miami to Montreal on the Navigator.  She’s small but mighty. 
Z and TB

10 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Thanks, GOARMY!   We are about six months out from our next cruise which is Miami to Montreal on the Navigator.  She’s small but mighty. 
Z and TB

Z....will look forward to future reports and pictures of your next cruise. Montreal....our home town.....terrific city. We're on Splendor in March.....looking very much forward to being back on a Regent cruise.