Carnival luggage weight

DGNewton

Sorry in a jam. With no time to research. 
so asking here is there a weight limit that is strict with carnival for luggage.  
I read they said SHOULD which is different than SHALL weight 50 lbs.  I’m busting at 60 and don’t want to take two bags 

I normally would but last time getting off the ship was hard being old with my carry off. 

Please help. 
Thank you. 

No offense intended but you are packing too much. I just took a 4 week trip. I packed ‘heavy’ and my suitcase was 40 lbs. My travel companion packed ‘light’ and packed 25lbs. I’m young and had to work to handle a 40 lb bag. A 60 lb bag is a lot. 

but yes, I think you will be allowed on the ship with it.

Edited by sanger727

To help you plan, we suggest you limit your luggage to a maximum of one bag per person, if traveling on cruises of 3-5 days duration, and no more than two bags per person, for cruises of 6 days or longer. In addition, you must personally carry-on any boarding documentation (passports, Visas, I.D), valuables, medications and items which require special handling.

Guests who are scheduled to arrive at the terminal before 1:30 PM, usually check their bags with a porter so they can be free to enjoy lunch on Lido Deck before access to their stateroom is granted.
I think it's pretty clear.......from the Carnival website.
Checked baggage service is only available until 2 hours before the ship's published sailing time (printed in the cruise documents).  Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board.  

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.  

Personalized luggage tags are included in the guest’s Electronic Documents (available once online check-in is completed). It is not necessary to print the tags in color.

Carnival luggage tags must be affixed to your baggage prior to arriving at the terminal.  Additional tags can be obtained at curbside from the porter. Porters will re-tag any luggage tag with a TBA cabin assignment.   

Curbside porters are customarily provided a $1 tip per bag.  They are not employees of Carnival and should a guest experiences any problems, they must report it to porter management on site.

Since the screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage. Small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

Thank you all. I have a soda bag I’m putting a few things that will carry on. 
we will be lighter going home. 
suntan lotion / beverages / many toiletries used up / blow up rafts to toss later / throw away stuff too.

I’ve cruises many times since 1989 and this is my heaviest. 

3 minutes ago, Surrealistic said:

To help you plan, we suggest you limit your luggage to a maximum of one bag per person, if traveling on cruises of 3-5 days duration, and no more than two bags per person, for cruises of 6 days or longer. In addition, you must personally carry-on any boarding documentation (passports, Visas, I.D), valuables, medications and items which require special handling.

Guests who are scheduled to arrive at the terminal before 1:30 PM, usually check their bags with a porter so they can be free to enjoy lunch on Lido Deck before access to their stateroom is granted.
I think it's pretty clear.......from the Carnival website.
Checked baggage service is only available until 2 hours before the ship's published sailing time (printed in the cruise documents).  Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board.  

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.  

Personalized luggage tags are included in the guest’s Electronic Documents (available once online check-in is completed). It is not necessary to print the tags in color.

Carnival luggage tags must be affixed to your baggage prior to arriving at the terminal.  Additional tags can be obtained at curbside from the porter. Porters will re-tag any luggage tag with a TBA cabin assignment.   

Curbside porters are customarily provided a $1 tip per bag.  They are not employees of Carnival and should a guest experiences any problems, they must report it to porter management on site.

Since the screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage. Small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

I read the policy - that’s why I posted. The words should and ahall are governing rules. 
Thank anyway. 40 cruises an heaviest bag ugh. 

1 hour ago, DGNewton said:

suntan lotion / beverages / many toiletries used up / blow up rafts to toss later / throw away stuff too.

Sometimes 'less is more."  

In addition, it would be better for the environment and marine life if visitors didn't discard their toys, floaties and other "throw away stuff" while on these beautiful, yet fragile islands.  Maybe reconsider bringing at least some of these disposable items.

27 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Sometimes 'less is more."  

In addition, it would be better for the environment and marine life if visitors didn't discard their toys, floaties and other "throw away stuff" while on these beautiful, yet fragile islands.  Maybe reconsider bringing at least some of these disposable items.

They'll go in the carnival trash cans

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

As long as you're not flying.

I was gonna say the same thing. We recently flew Spirit for the first time in ages and their limit is 40lbs for $50, if you want the weight more you have to pay $35 MORE. I had no idea because every other time ive ever flown its been 50lbs, so i ended up having to pay $170 for one bag to fly roundtrip.

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

No offense intended but you are packing too much. I just took a 4 week trip. I packed ‘heavy’ and my suitcase was 40 lbs. My travel companion packed ‘light’ and packed 25lbs. I’m young and had to work to handle a 40 lb bag. A 60 lb bag is a lot. 

but yes, I think you will be allowed on the ship with it.

Had the same thought. 60lbs. is heavy. I think my 38-40lb bag is overpacked.

I understand @DGNewton's weight issue because of disposable items.  

Don't forget, DG, that sodas must be carried on and cannot be in checked luggage.

For the others, weight is sometimes determined by the size of items packed.  For example, a pair of jeans for DH weighs considerably more than a pair of jeans for me.

17 minutes ago, autofan said:

Check the definition of "should" it is a requirement.  I have had bags marked as heavy, I had not weighed them so not sure of the exact weight. 

image.png.d7d700ac981033a92f0a4a2fd7139922.png

image.thumb.png.3d9956a19655434870a5020cd53a9c80.png

Carnival's policy:

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, autofan said:

Check the definition of "should" it is a requirement.  I have had bags marked as heavy, I had not weighed them so not sure of the exact weight. 

And what was the penalty for being "marked as heavy"?

On 10/28/2021 at 4:05 PM, DGNewton said:

Sorry in a jam. With no time to research. 
so asking here is there a weight limit that is strict with carnival for luggage.  
I read they said SHOULD which is different than SHALL weight 50 lbs.  I’m busting at 60 and don’t want to take two bags 

I normally would but last time getting off the ship was hard being old with my carry off. 

Please help. 
Thank you. 

We didn't fly in August and I can assure you that I was way over that! Flying tomorrow and for sure I am at 48lbs and under but with one more bag!

I did tip the porters well!

3 hours ago, vamartha said:

We didn't fly in August and I can assure you that I was way over that! Flying tomorrow and for sure I am at 48lbs and under but with one more bag!

I did tip the porters well!

Great to tip the porters but, I'd imagine the workers onboard spend a lot more energy getting the bags to your cabin than the few feet the porters move our bags.