The Daily for Saturday October 30, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Candy Corn Day, Mischief Night, and

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. -- Maya Angelou"

Meal suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast

Drink of the Day - Gibson

Wine of the day - Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Asilli Riserva DOCG - Italy

Destination of the Day - Recife Brazil

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Rotterdam

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego CA US 00:00 - 24:00

Barcelona, SP
Eurodam 07:00 – 17,00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglad
Nieuw Amsterdam Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 10/31

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1030world.thumb.png.3ad639de6981ab4bbe8338185fc97b12.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

As I recall, our Mischief Night was Doorbell Night, when you'd ring someone's doorbell and run away.  That passed for fun when we were young. 😀

Love the quote.  I wish more people would follow that advice.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I used to love candy corn, and hope for an uneventful mischief night.  The Angelou quote is spot on.  I've been to Recife at least once.  The Pot Roast sounds nice.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Veal Parmigiana, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 30, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes30.jpg

Leaving soon for a very busy morning.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s sister hospitalized with lymphona and DH’s sister recovering from stroke
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
summer slope’s friend Frank with back surgery November 3 and his stressed wife Rita
marshhawk’s DH recovering from vascular surgery(doing well)
From the rotation:
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery November 17
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
rafinmd awaiting radiation

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB in Everglades (Cruise for NA, crew changer for NS Fri-Sat)
 Bon Voyage   SusieKIslandGirl
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
HAL Sailor DGD and DGS off quarantine
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
Freedom from Treasurer duties for Heartgrove
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Lady President  and Gail& Marty  at sea
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning.

Growing up in NE New Jersey, we had a special name for the night before haloween: "Goosey Night".

I love Maya Angelou. She had indredible inshight as demonstrated by this quote.

The meal suggestion looks good but I will be eating pork today as my band is playing at a luau this afternoon. We just hope the rain holds off.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Never really was a fan of candy corn. Going to a friend’s for dinner. There will be wine - that will be the extent of my mischief today.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Prayers for a successful radiology course winging their way. Morning Dailyite family. It is quite cool here this morning 59 with a breeze. I will be bringing wine and a loaf of that Icelandic brown bread to dinner tonight. I will be baking the bread after coffee. 😎Not sure what else I will get done. Glad I finished my outdoor chores yesterday. May need to sandwich Bindi walks between showers. 

My niece in New Hampshire sent me this pic of a house in her neighborhood. Some folk are so creative!

55B50AE1-97FD-4132-87D8-9212F152DE2E.jpeg.ebb1cd1c4f24186734901d008ede2c8d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Asilli Riserva DOCG

Superb wines usually come with a hefty price tag, and this one is no exception. I am sure even a taste is out of my price range. There are several online distributors with prices starting at - GULP -$475.00!
Winemaker Notes

Intense red garnet color with orange highlights. Notes of raspberry and wild strawberry are layered with floral aromas of rose and violet. On the palate, good structure is matched with freshness of fruit and silky tannins.

JS100 James Suckling

This is a very sexy, soft Barbaresco with chocolate, earth and pure fruit, from strawberries to cherries. Medium -o full-bodied with elegant tannins that give form to this wine. It’s fine and lovely in the mouth. Exciting. A fine, granular-textured red. Drinkable now, but better in 2024.
WS97 Wine Spectator

This is rich and dense, yet also racy, evoking cherry, plum, tar and eucalyptus flavors, with a thread of mineral underscoring it all. Shows fine length and intensity, and there's ample fruit to match the spine of tannins, but this just needs time. Best from 2025 through 2045. From Italy.

RP97 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

Packaged in its distinctive red label, the 2016 Barbaresco Riserva Asili is a rich and profound wine with incredible depth and dimension. Bruna Giacosa skipped over the 2015 vintage because she felt that the fruit was not poised for long aging. From the 2014 vintage, we jump to this 2016 expression, a wine that Bruna says reminds her of the epic 2001 and 2004 vintages. She also loves the 2017 vintage, which I look forward to tasting next year. This wine is incredibly precise and sharp; however, the volume and generous fruit weight promises a long aging future. The aromas veer toward red berry, cherry and cassis, and the darker black fruit tones that you might expect are less prominent in the Asili. The wine majestically captures the elegance and the power of this iconic vintage. Rating : 97+

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Candy corn isn’t my favorite but I’ll certainly eat it if it’s in front of me.  Planning on running a few errands early before the rain gets heavy today.  No idea what’s for dinner tonight.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.a152dabc00dd95916eed66b3907a9f54.png

• Like 26
  • Haha 11

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  Tonight was called Devil’s Night where I grew up and was full of mischief.  We are slowly whittling down a candy dish that was full of candy corn.  My sister told me that it comes from the corns on witches’ feet but I don’t believe her.  I don’t get the quote, it seems to me that she’s saying if you can’t change something succumb to it; if that’s the case no way. Although she may be referring to personal change rather than societal change, in that case perhaps.  I may be putting too much though into this at this early hour!  The meal suggestion sounds sounds very nice for tomorrow, tonight is taco night.  I haven’t been to today’s port so I’ll look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to all celebrating happy events today.

• Like 28

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I feel the same about candy corn as @Crazy For Cats. Doubt anyone will be coming up this mountain to do any mischief.

Love the quote, Maya Angelou and the meal.

It is very foggy, wet and a cool 50 degrees here this morning. Trunk or Treat is at the stables here tomorrow night and DH and I have been asked by our neighbors to help them decorate for it mid day today if the weather cooperates. If not, decorating will happen tomorrow. Other than that, our replacement tv did not get delivered yesterday afternoon and nobody can tell us what happened. So, in about an hour we will start making calls again. Hopefully they are open on Saturday. (I know, first world problems.) We have moved the "painting station" out of the way so there is plenty of room for the delivery so progress has been halted because of it as well. @JazzyVI don't know the history of your tv issues, but I hope you had a much better experience than we have. Anyway, life goes on and I am grateful that a tv is the major issue we are dealing with right now.

@grapau27I hope your appointment goes well.

@cunnorlI'm thinking of you and praying your sister feels well enough to video chat with you today.

@rafinmdhopefully you will be able to relax this afternoon after your busy morning/week.

Have a safe and super Saturday everyone.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

I stayed up way too late last night and I see a nap in my future.   Not a lot on my plate for today.

Today's meal sounds like a good one for today.  This first recipe looks really good and there are no carrots!  https://msrachelhollis.com/2013/07/16/slow-cooker-balsamic-pot-roast/

752493253_SlowCookerBalsamicPotRoast3.jpg.3b35552c8d2eaac1f0ec30f193325305.jpg

This next one adds some red wine to the mix.  That can help tenderize the meat.   https://dinnerthendessert.com/slow-cooker-balsamic-pot-roast/

Slow-Cooker-Balsamic-Pot-Roast-768x1152.thumb.jpg.eac97982690f9eccbef9dbb9291218be.jpg

How about some Dijon mustard and brown sugar?   https://diethood.com/slow-cooker-balsamic-pot-roast/

Slow-Cooker-Balsamic-Pot-Roast-Recipe.thumb.jpg.32d61f754aa8b0471cc1170b6fd04857.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I used to love candy corn, and hope for an uneventful mischief night.  The Angelou quote is spot on.  I've been to Recife at least once.  The Pot Roast sounds nice.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Veal Parmigiana, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 30, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes30.jpg

Leaving soon for a very busy morning.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s sister hospitalized with lymphona and DH’s sister recovering from stroke
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
summer slope’s friend Frank with back surgery November 3 and his stressed wife Rita
marshhawk’s DH recovering from vascular surgery(doing well)
From the rotation:
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery November 17
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
rafinmd awaiting radiation

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB in Everglades (Cruise for NA, crew changer for NS Fri-Sat)
 Bon Voyage   SusieKIslandGirl
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
HAL Sailor DGD and DGS off quarantine
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
Freedom from Treasurer duties for Heartgrove
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Lady President  and Gail& Marty  at sea
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for the lists Roy and for my inclusion on the Rotation.

Graham.

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

I stayed up way too late last night and I see a nap in my future.   Not a lot on my plate for today.

Today's meal sounds like a good one for today.  This first recipe looks really good and there are no carrots!  https://msrachelhollis.com/2013/07/16/slow-cooker-balsamic-pot-roast/

752493253_SlowCookerBalsamicPotRoast3.jpg.3b35552c8d2eaac1f0ec30f193325305.jpg

This next one adds some red wine to the mix.  That can help tenderize the meat.   https://dinnerthendessert.com/slow-cooker-balsamic-pot-roast/

Slow-Cooker-Balsamic-Pot-Roast-768x1152.thumb.jpg.eac97982690f9eccbef9dbb9291218be.jpg

How about some Dijon mustard and brown sugar?   https://diethood.com/slow-cooker-balsamic-pot-roast/

Slow-Cooker-Balsamic-Pot-Roast-Recipe.thumb.jpg.32d61f754aa8b0471cc1170b6fd04857.jpg

Wow.

That looks delicious Debbie.

Graham.

• Like 15

20 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I feel the same about candy corn as @Crazy For Cats. Doubt anyone will be coming up this mountain to do any mischief.

Love the quote, Maya Angelou and the meal.

It is very foggy, wet and a cool 50 degrees here this morning. Trunk or Treat is at the stables here tomorrow night and DH and I have been asked by our neighbors to help them decorate for it mid day today if the weather cooperates. If not, decorating will happen tomorrow. Other than that, our replacement tv did not get delivered yesterday afternoon and nobody can tell us what happened. So, in about an hour we will start making calls again. Hopefully they are open on Saturday. (I know, first world problems.) We have moved the "painting station" out of the way so there is plenty of room for the delivery so progress has been halted because of it as well. @JazzyVI don't know the history of your tv issues, but I hope you had a much better experience than we have. Anyway, life goes on and I am grateful that a tv is the major issue we are dealing with right now.

@grapau27I hope your appointment goes well.

@cunnorlI'm thinking of you and praying your sister feels well enough to video chat with you today.

@rafinmdhopefully you will be able to relax this afternoon after your busy morning/week.

Have a safe and super Saturday everyone.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Graham.

• Like 11

Good Saturday morning.  I love candy corn, don't have it often because I'll eat the whole bag and then suffer.  We have not had any trick or treaters for the last 15 years or so, either here in Florida or in Ohio.  We still buy candy "just in case".

The quote is interesting.  Changing your attitude would mean deal with it or ignore it.  hmmm

The meal looks so good, will file it for another day.  Pizza tonight.

Have not been to Italy.  Would have left yesterday on the Eurodam if we had felt safe flying into Europe. but cancelled it.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Gibson:

Ingredients
2 1/2 ounces gin or vodka
1/2 ounce dry vermouth
Garnish: cocktail onion

Steps
Add the gin (or vodka) and dry vermouth into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with a cocktail onion.

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 8.41.39 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon everyone from a wet 52°F North East of England.

Living in the UK I have never had Candy corn.

Mischief night can happen at anytime and the vandalism should not be allowed.

Playing innocent pranks on your friends is one thing if you can take pranks back from them in good spirit.

Very true quote today.

Nice food and drink selection.

We have never been to today's port so photos will be nice to see.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Take care and I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211030_133543.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good morning cruisers! Candy Corn is a lead not into temptation treat. I would have a hard time rationing candy corn.

As many of us here in the Southeast we have awakened to a cool morning of 50 degrees with a forecasted high of 69F.

Special thoughts, prayers and concerns for all on the Care list.

Thanks Rich and Roy and to all who make the Daily our daily read.

Have a great weekend!

• Like 23

Good morning friends!  I see the Atlanta Braves won their second WS game last night.  Congrats to them!  However, I have to admit I will always be a St. Louis Cardinals fan.  If they can't be in the WS then I'm absolutely fine with the Braves taking their place.

Well, we were supposed to walk to the gym this morning so I got up at 6:15 and checked both my weather apps on my phone and they said it was not raining and there was only a 6% chance of it.  The streets looked wet but that was okay.  So I got ready to go (put on my orange workout top for Halloween🎃), then decided to check outside again.  I opened the door and stepped onto the covered porch.  It was raining!  Drat!  I told DH to go back to bed and I went downstairs to use the treadmill.  The arms💪 and abs will have to wait till next week.  Meanwhile I plan on downloading a third weather app which hopefully is more accurate.🌧️

@dfishthe pot roast looks so good today.  I wonder if we have one in the 'fridge.  Better ask my chef.  Candy corn is so sweet and sugary and is not my favorite but if it's sitting around I always have to try some.  I prefer chocolate bars though.  Where I grew up we called it Devil night too.  Ringing doorbells wasn't the worst of it though.  Kids would throw eggs at houses and cars, or toilet paper the trees.  Nowadays those items are too expensive or in short supply to have kids wasting them.  Thanks to @richwmnfor our Daily and also to @rafinmdfor keeping our lists.  Prayers for those on our Care list and cheers to our celebrants today.  @cat shepardAnn what a cute photo of the skeletons on the house and yard.  I particularly like the one standing on the overhang roof looking in the window.  What a wild sense of humor those people have!  

I haven't been to Recife yet so would enjoy some photos of it.  I just checked and we've had our Grand South America cancelled numerous times already.  My prior S. America cruises didn't stop there either.  Maybe in 2023 we will finally complete that Grand voyage.  

Have a wonderful day everyone.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Today’s days certainly go with Hallowe’en.

23EB84BF-8EC6-443C-B146-1C32E1F32E39.jpeg.ba6504db8b91ad8a85f54dc877e0c9c6.jpeg

I like the quote by Angelou and dinner sounds good but no roast in the fridge so I’ll save the recipe for another day.  Looks like we’re going to have a rainy Hallowe’en which means I need to re-think my strategy where to leave the treats outside for the kiddies.

F96E1C4C-240D-4B57-AF82-426485659E71.jpeg.89684a91cfb32985c0374c953d0e8edc.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Saturday everyone!!

2211AD2F-4325-4539-A77B-94EF081A9E5C.thumb.jpeg.3702bf1041d5d3b753fc994c2aaf0326.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 17
  • Haha 17

Thank you for our Daily. And thank you for the care and celebrations lists. I love candy corn.  
I am shocked how much meat (esp beef) prices have gone up. I knew the cost of things in general have increased bu this is ridiculous. And I heard that we in Cali are heading into a bacon shortage. 😨

I need to get a few red balloons today and tie them to the storm drain. 🤡

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good Morning Everyone from a cool and overcast day at the beach

Of course my idea of "cool" is probably a nice day in other areas! LOL

We all like candy corn, doesnt seem like Halloween without it.  The meal suggestion looks good, may save it for another day. Today is Pizza night.

Thank You all so very much for the your prayers and thoughts for my sister. Hoping we can Zoom today, waiting to hear from my nephew. I feel fortunate that we live in an age where this technology is available. 

We cancelled our booster shots yesterday, I was too upset about my sister. This has been a terrible year for my family.  But today, we will go, my friend the pharmacist at Publix told me to just come anytime before 7pm.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 23

Good morning everyone. I love today’s quote. As a child, I don’t recall mischief night, but as an adult I certainly do. It was the night the kids in the neighborhood threw raw eggs everywhere and the occasion that our mailbox was blown up,twice. I remember vividly spilling out my kids loot and eating what looked good while they were sleeping.

Im so very sorry to hear about Kakalina going into hospice. She has been a friend of mine on CC for a long time. I wish her peace and a pain free time.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27