Adjusting prepaid gratuities

thewynn

1 hour ago, cessnabmw said:

Thanks!

One of the reasons I want to remove pre-paid is that I have OBC that I want to apply for that, but the rate we booked HAD TO have pre-paid.

So, If I can remove the pre-paid onboard, then the OBC can be used for it instead.

Seems like if they remove prepaid tips wouldnt it be converted to obc and be the same? Idk. 

Its after final payment so I thought any overage converts to obc. 

2 hours ago, cessnabmw said:

We usually like to give our tips directly as cash to all. However, the cruise we're booking has a rate that has to have gratuities pre-paid. First time we've seen that.

My question is can the pre-paid gratuities be removed when we board so that don't double pay? We'd like to pay in cash so want those removed.

If your rate required the gratuities be prepaid (an offer that I have never seen ) then no, you will not be able to remove them.  It is part of your fare.  

If you "needed" to prepay them because you were moving funds from another cruise that was cancelled so you had to use them and you already maxxed your extra OBC of $500 (not the add $600), still the answer is no.  

Edited by Elaine5715

2 hours ago, cessnabmw said:

We usually like to give our tips directly as cash to all. However, the cruise we're booking has a rate that has to have gratuities pre-paid. First time we've seen that.

My question is can the pre-paid gratuities be removed when we board so that don't double pay? We'd like to pay in cash so want those removed.

I find it hard to believe you tip every person that serves you in the buffet, on the lido deck, and everywhere else on ship. Just leave the auto grats in place and don't worry about tipping anymore. It all ends up in the same place anyway.

16 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

If your rate required the gratuities be prepaid (an offer that I have never seen ) then no, you will not be able to remove them.  It is part of your fare.  

If you "needed" to prepay them because you were moving funds from another cruise that was cancelled so you had to use them and you already maxxed your extra OBC of $500 (not the add $600), still the answer is no.  

^^^THIS^^^

Your fare has a rate code attached to it (usually 3 letters). The only way to get the rate that you got was by including pre-paid grats, so I'm pretty sure you would not be able to remove it.

I also booked under this fare. I was looking at inside rooms and balcony rooms, and there appeared to be about $200 difference in the rate. However, upon closer inspection, what I was seeing was that the inside rate was room + port fees & taxes, while the balcony rate was room + port fees & taxes + grats. When I did the math, the balcony was only around $80 more, so a no-brainer to book the balcony (and our first ever cove).

Edited by ScottsSweetie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

This has been argued and debated as nauseum. Merged today's post with one earlier this month. Will leave unlocked until the fighting begins....

The difference is that the second OP question has to do with prepaid grats as part of the cruise offer not simply prepaying for their convenience.  Trying to convert part of your cruise fare to OBC is same as if I asked for OBC on board because I found a fare drop before sailing.

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

This is why Princess is calling it "Crew Appreciation" now so that no such oxymoron exists.

Why not call it what it is - service charge. On Viking at least you are not adding to a pile of cash which is distributed to the crew. You are contributing to the cruise line's payroll account.

8 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Because that would be way too straightforward for the cruising industry.  Cruising is the most convoluted pricing structure and I'm sure for my part that cruise lines themselves go out of their way to make this so.  No other form of travel or other consumer goods and services requires the many dozens of hours to just understand what all you need to pay.

You should hear me explaining to a non cruiser what a cruise actually costs. I said well take the posted price x 2. Yes I understand there is only 1 of you. Now add the port fees and taxes. Yes I know taxes are usually a percentage but for a cruise they are the same if you book a inside or a suite. No matter the cost the port fees and taxes stay the same. 

Ok now that you got that you will be charged tips once you are onboard a set auto charged amount.

Of course I add I a hotel and cruise parking. ... oh that $199 cruise is now 1k .. sorry lol. 

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Now add the port fees and taxes. Yes I know taxes are usually a percentage but for a cruise they are the same if you book a inside or a suite. No matter the cost the port fees and taxes stay the same. 

So Port fees and taxes are the same for any cabin on a ship regardless of luxury level?  Wow, I did not know that.

As an aside, it seems to me that in the past an online TA advertised a lower fare, but when I got the final bill with the port fees and taxes the cruise was not as a great deal from what the cruise line itself listed.  Now I tend to just book directly with the cruise lines.

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

On top of which if you go to another cruise line, well, be ready to educate yourself all over again. 

Like Royal and their Dynamic Pricing policy when it comes to things such as drink packages or excursions.  The Coco Cay Beach Club can be priced anywhere from 50.00 to 195.00 depending upon which ship you're on and when you cruise.  The drunk package fluctuation is less, but still substantial.

Just now, SNJCruisers said:

Like Royal and their Dynamic Pricing policy when it comes to things such as drink packages or excursions.  The Coco Cay Beach Club can be priced anywhere from 50.00 to 195.00 depending upon which ship you're on and when you cruise.  The drink package fluctuation is less, but still substantial.