Carnival splitting up families

filltx

Anyone else dealing with Carnival splitting up immediate family members with exemptions? Booked a cruise months ago for Nov. 18th out of Galveston for our family of 5(all kids under 12). Our son's exemption was approved 2 days after submitting and we received denials for our two daughters yesterday. Can't believe a company would do business this way. We're seasoned Carnival cruisers, 150 points to be exact, and when I called to talk to someone about it all I got was: "we do not have the ability to contact the department doing exemptions and all exemptions are final."

With that, looking for recommendations on what cruise line to take our business to? We cruise several times a year and have only been on Carnival so looking for opinions on which cruise line everyone feels value their customers the most.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, filltx said:

With that, looking for recommendations on what cruise line to take our business to? We cruise several times a year and have only been on Carnival so looking for opinions on which cruise line everyone feels value their customers the most.

You had me up to the 2nd paragraph.

None of the cruiselines value their customers at the level you're looking for. These are major international corporations. They value their bottom line and the fiduciary responsibility to their share holders.

Sorry that you went thru this experience. I would personally feel betrayed also probably. 

• Like 3

I think you may not understand that the lottery system is just that. There has always been a chance where some would get an exemption and others not. It wouldn't be fair to the family with 1 unvaxxed to have a chance to get on and then you have 3 chances to get 1 and all are approved.

This has nothing to do with splitting a family up and everything to do with knowing the risk and accepting it. You are just upset, like many others, that you lost on the lottery. As for other lines, your daughters are unvaxxed so they wouldn't be able to go anyway. Not sure what you are upset about other than you thinking you deserve more than another person.

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, filltx said:

Anyone else dealing with Carnival splitting up immediate family members with exemptions? Booked a cruise months ago for Nov. 18th out of Galveston for our family of 5(all kids under 12). Our son's exemption was approved 2 days after submitting and we received denials for our two daughters yesterday. Can't believe a company would do business this way. We're seasoned Carnival cruisers, 150 points to be exact, and when I called to talk to someone about it all I got was: "we do not have the ability to contact the department doing exemptions and all exemptions are final."

Royal doesnt do exemptions, but unvaxxed children have fewer venues open imo. 

Celebrity and some like that, that have fewer than 5% anyway, so dont bother with exemptions. 

I would be finding non cruise vacations if you are dealing with family members unvaccinated.

Every cruise line has some restrictions for unvaccinated so if you are looking for a sure thing, fun vacation I'd do an all inclusive or something.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, filltx said:

Anyone else dealing with Carnival splitting up immediate family members with exemptions? Booked a cruise months ago for Nov. 18th out of Galveston for our family of 5(all kids under 12). Our son's exemption was approved 2 days after submitting and we received denials for our two daughters yesterday. 

Wow, that stings!  I feel for you.  All or none would have been easier to take.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, filltx said:

. Our son's exemption was approved 2 days after submitting and we received denials for our two daughters yesterday.

What are the ages of your children? Back when your son was approved the vax for 5-11 wasnt yet available but now it is. Might be why the girls were denied.  The website might be screwed up since the fully vax rules for the children hasnt had a chance yet to be accomplished. Two vaxxes a few weeks apart  and a further 14 days. Id call Carnival and find out for sure.

18 hours ago, filltx said:

You should just postpone your cruise until all of this will be less restrictive. As long as unvaxed people are allowed anywhere you will have potential exposure even though you may be vaxed. I would not subject my children to this kind of exposure even though there is exposure everywhere but not as centralized as cruise ships or planes. Everyone is waiting for this to just be over so we can get on with our lives.  But the question is:  when will that happen?

• Like 1

Much like the compassionate folks on here are saying: Carnival has taken a heartless, political stance on this and it will eventually backfire on them. Yes, Carnival split your family up and yes, Carnival caters to new potential-cruisers over 'loyals'. Both issues are in play here. Like all of us, make your best choice knowing this is their game. Other cruiselines or land-based vacations are options... All the best!   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

It seems to me that if they are using a lottery system, all members of the same family under 12 should be on the same lottery ticket. So they either all get on on none do.

I don't agree. Why should 1 person get 3 exemptions when a family with 1 child gets 1. Each one is in separately and treated separately. Each one needs to get an exemption to go. The only real fair way to have done this is based on the date booked and for those with canceled cruise the date booked from their canceled cruise. The issue a lot of people have is they submitted exemptions say 2 months ago and have to wait. Then someone books the cruise a week ago and gets exemptions. That is wrong.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Were you all booked into one stateroom or were the kids split up in two different ones?

@Elaine5715that my guess too - that the father and son were in one stateroom, and the mom and daughters were booked in another stateroom.  Unfortunately, the lottery didn't identify the two cabins as part of the same family unit and one kid got the exemption, and the other two didn't.

OP, maybe rebook for the spring when all three kids are vaccinated (it's probably safer for them to travel while vaccinated, as opposed to unvaccinated).   

I will admit that the timing on the denial notification is tough.  Very frustrating.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Elaine5715that my guess too - that the father and son were in one stateroom, and the mom and daughters were booked in another stateroom.  Unfortunately, the lottery didn't identify the two cabins as part of the same family unit and one kid got the exemption, and the other two didn't.

OP, maybe rebook for the spring when all three kids are vaccinated (it's probably safer for them to travel while vaccinated, as opposed to unvaccinated).   

I will admit that the timing on the denial notification is tough.  Very frustrating.

You're assuming that the parents want the children vaccinated. Maybe they do not.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

You're assuming that the parents want the children vaccinated. Maybe they do not.

That is their choice.

However, the parents must also be willing to accept the consequences of their decision whither it be limitations on activities, waiting in the PICU waiting room or spreading the disease to loved ones or friends.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I think you may not understand that the lottery system is just that. There has always been a chance where some would get an exemption and others not. It wouldn't be fair to the family with 1 unvaxxed to have a chance to get on and then you have 3 chances to get 1 and all are approved.

This has nothing to do with splitting a family up and everything to do with knowing the risk and accepting it. You are just upset, like many others, that you lost on the lottery. As for other lines, your daughters are unvaxxed so they wouldn't be able to go anyway. Not sure what you are upset about other than you thinking you deserve more than another person.

Exactly! I don't know how many of the five children under 12 are in that 5-11 age range, but they knew it was unlikely even with an approved vaccine by early November that they'd be able to meet the 2 weeks after 2nd shot requirement by Nov 18th. Hence knowing those facts they opted to play the lottery system and lost. It's not Carnival's fault that they threw caution to the wind by trying to cruise this close to the expected vaccine availability for kids under 12 as they made a choice and choices have consequences.  They need to stop shifting blame at Carnival and look in the mirror instead.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, filltx said:

Sorry to hear your vacation is lost as I'm sure it stinks. However, to be fair you rolled the dice with the lottery system and lost as that's not Carnival's fault but just how the system works for unvaccinated. Many wouldn't even attempt a cruise until 100% of their party are vaxxed as you made a choice and choices have consequences. That's the reality right now for not only cruising but a significant portion of the entertainment industry as it's time many leave fantasyland and readjust expectations if they aren't vaxxed.

• Like 3

UPDATE: Some will be glad to hear Carnival has come back and made this right. We're looking forward to cruising in a couple weeks!

For all those saying "lottery, you lost, your fault, blah blah blah". I 100% agree the risk was fully on us, however; there is no reason that the lottery should not be all or nothing. Just to clarify, that would be all 3 would have to be successful for any to be. There are many lotteries run like this and it would make perfect sense here. The more you add, the more your chances reduce. Also, save your posts on "your fault for not knowing the rules", I agree with that too.

As far as throwing out "Diamond, Platinum, Super Cruiser, blah blah blah". Turns out they actually do care a bit. They also agreed the response given was not appropriate.

Thanks to all those that gave ideas and suggestions.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, filltx said:

UPDATE: Some will be glad to hear Carnival has come back and made this right. We're looking forward to cruising in a couple weeks!

For all those saying "lottery, you lost, your fault, blah blah blah". I 100% agree the risk was fully on us, however; there is no reason that the lottery should not be all or nothing. Just to clarify, that would be all 3 would have to be successful for any to be. There are many lotteries run like this and it would make perfect sense here. The more you add, the more your chances reduce. Also, save your posts on "your fault for not knowing the rules", I agree with that too.

As far as throwing out "Diamond, Platinum, Super Cruiser, blah blah blah". Turns out they actually do care a bit. They also agreed the response given was not appropriate.

Thanks to all those that gave ideas and suggestions.

Did you book 2 rooms, with boy in one and girls in the other, without the bookings being connected? Glad you are getting to cruise.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:56 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

I don't agree. Why should 1 person get 3 exemptions when a family with 1 child gets 1. 

Look at it this way. Compare a family with 3 kids, who would get one lottery ticket, to three different families, each with one kid. The family with 3 kids has only 1/3 the lottery chance of the three single child families collectively, but if they win that lottery it has 3 times the payout.

The math all works out evenly.