Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

4 hours ago, audobon_tx said:

Regular buffet at breakfast and lunch.

I suspect the buffet will be coming back to dinner soon, no reason not to if they have the buffet for other times. I’m told the current cruise from Barcelona to Lisbon had over 600 passengers this week.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mdpa said:

I suspect the buffet will be coming back to dinner soon, no reason not to if they have the buffet for other times. I’m told the current cruise from Barcelona to Lisbon had over 600 passengers this week.

Covid was not the only reason they moved away from the buffet, it was to manage waste and give a better customer experience in a more casual non dressed up environment.  Many people who have experienced this new way prefer it to the old buffet, food is nicely plated and always at the right temperature.  You can order as little or as much as you want.  I think the jury is out on whether the buffet is coming back every night.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, uktog said:

Covid was not the only reason they moved away from the buffet, it was to manage waste and give a better customer experience in a more casual non dressed up environment.  Many people who have experienced this new way prefer it to the old buffet, food is nicely plated and always at the right temperature.  You can order as little or as much as you want.  I think the jury is out on whether the buffet is coming back every night.

OK, I didn’t realize the buffet was removed prior to COVID. In that case, it probably isn’t coming back.

21 minutes ago, mdpa said:

OK, I didn’t realize the buffet was removed prior to COVID. In that case, it probably isn’t coming back.

I don't think it was removed prior to Covid.  When we disembarked in Capetown on January 21, 2020, there were still evening buffets.  Shortly after that, cruising stopped.

I've just read an article in the Mallorca Daily Bulletin about a passenger who has gone overboard from the current Quest sailing.  Search and rescue has been unable to find her.  How incredibly sad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Medeba said:

I've just read an article in the Mallorca Daily Bulletin about a passenger who has gone overboard from the current Quest sailing.  Search and rescue has been unable to find her.  How incredibly sad.

Yes. How does that even happen? It would take some effort. It’s not like you can just “fall” overboard.

16 hours ago, Xcelsior said:

I suspect there are many passengers like me who would prefer to eat outdoors while Covid is still an issue.....so maybe that's why they made the change.

Very very true! We sure plan to do this! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Yes. How does that even happen? It would take some effort. It’s not like you can just “fall” overboard.

Apparently she fell around 2 AM and others either passenger or crew saw it happen and threw a life ring to her to no avail-just awful.

5 hours ago, suewheldon said:

I asked at reception yesterday and was told next week will be 411 passengers (June 11). 

Thanks for checking, seems like a perfect amount of passengers for me. I asked a person who was on Facebook on this past weeks cruise and she was told it was 600+ (but her number could have included crew).

On 6/6/2022 at 7:49 PM, marinaro44 said:

I don't think it was removed prior to Covid.  When we disembarked in Capetown on January 21, 2020, there were still evening buffets.  Shortly after that, cruising stopped.

Thanks, and I think this is my main point. Unlike the narrative that some people are pushing in this thread, the buffet wasn’t removed due to lack of customer interest. It was strictly a COVID related measure.

So from my perspective, let’s get back to normal and bring back the buffet. If passengers ultimately push for a different format based on most preferences then that will be OK with me.

14 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Apparently she fell around 2 AM and others either passenger or crew saw it happen and threw a life ring to her to no avail-just awful.

This is sad. Are there any statistics showing if these “overboard” situations are mostly accidents, suicides, or extreme intoxication?

1 hour ago, mdpa said:

Thanks, and I think this is my main point. Unlike the narrative that some people are pushing in this thread, the buffet wasn’t removed due to lack of customer interest. It was strictly a COVID related measure.

So from my perspective, let’s get back to normal and bring back the buffet. If passengers ultimately push for a different format based on most preferences then that will be OK with me.

I never said it was a strict covid related issue but in addition to customer interest (and numbers were dropping except on Indian night) there were economic considerations.  The buffets were under review anyway due to challenges during noro outbreaks and also as part of the green agenda given the high amount of food waste which is costly both in terms of excess purchasing but also in terms of the costs of disposal.    I would expect Azamara would weigh up feedback both for their return and for the retention of the new service and make decisions accordingly.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, mdpa said:

From our perspective many of us do not want the “normality “ of wasting food in buffets or buffets at all and additionally people touching foods and serving spoons with their hands. 
No one says that buffets are a “normal “ service from smaller and premium cruise lines like Azamara. I am sure other cruise lines like Royal Caribbean will offer the buffets you wish. 

Ivi

• Like 3

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I never said it was a strict covid related issue but in addition to customer interest (and numbers were dropping except on Indian night) there were economic considerations.  The buffets were under review anyway due to challenges during noro outbreaks and also as part of the green agenda given the high amount of food waste which is costly both in terms of excess purchasing but also in terms of the costs of disposal.    I would expect Azamara would weigh up feedback both for their return and for the retention of the new service and make decisions accordingly.  

I think this is a crucial point. While it is nice to anticipate or demand the “status quo ante” on board, I think it would be poor post-Covid executive leadership that did not take this opportunity to reconsider sustainability and the inevitable Green Agenda.

There seemed to be considerable waste from the evening buffets in Windows, buffets that were often sparsely attended.

Cruising must change and we can all hope that is for the better.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

From our perspective many of us do not want the “normality “ of wasting food in buffets or buffets at all and additionally people touching foods and serving spoons with their hands. 
No one says that buffets are a “normal “ service from smaller and premium cruise lines like Azamara. I am sure other cruise lines like Royal Caribbean will offer the buffets you wish. 

Ivi

A pretty high level of intolerance from some people on this thread. Yes, Azamara was part of RC just like Silversea which also had nice buffets. I also enjoyed some very nice seafood buffets in Singapore at the St. Regis back in early 2020.

Seems like an elitist bent, and no I don’t prefer someone else “serving” my food at the buffet either. 

Getting portions myself is the best way for me to personally eliminate waste and better than having someone serve portion sizes I didn’t request.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have never been on a 6 star line that had an evening buffet.  Azamara, admittedly not a 6 star, had one but I would be surprised if it returns except for special situations.  The day to day demand is not there in the evening on Azamara, and it wasn't there pre-pandemic either.  Breakfast and lunch, yes, and they will remain because that's what people prefer.

The 6 stars convert the buffet space to table service specialty restaurants in the evening.

I think Azamara has come up with an attractive evening alternative to Discoveries.

• Like 5

I will be looking forward to trying Azamara's new evening approach.  We were recently on Oceania Riviera, which has a buffet.  Staff serve your selections onto a plate [which is reassuring from a hygiene standpoint], but the food was rarely at its prime after sitting in the steam tables.  And there was no sense of 'presentation' to match the level of the cuisine being prepared.  It was definitely the least attractive part of an otherwise stellar cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, audobon_tx said:

I have never been on a 6 star line that had an evening buffet.  Azamara, admittedly not a 6 star, had one but I would be surprised if it returns except for special situations.  The day to day demand is not there in the evening on Azamara, and it wasn't there pre-pandemic either.  Breakfast and lunch, yes, and they will remain because that's what people prefer.

The 6 stars convert the buffet space to table service specialty restaurants in the evening.

I think Azamara has come up with an attractive evening alternative to Discoveries.

I am OK if people don’t like buffets…heck, most of the time I prefer to order exactly what I want.

However, some people are acting like buffets were eliminated due to green considerations, or demand, and this post is making the argument they never existed. I’ve eaten buffets on Silverseas and they were fantastic, and as far as I know is considered an upper tier brand.

https://www.shermanstravel.com/advice/10-best-cruise-ship-buffets#

Maybe this will help jog someone’s memory. I have not seen any scientific evidence that a breakfast or lunch buffet is safer or greener than a dinner buffet.

• Like 1