Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

16 hours ago, les37b said:

It was poor in Lisbon also, taking 2 1/2 hours to get on from arrival. I initially thought it was the third party staff, but the bottleneck was the final part and getting on the ship.

It was a repeated topic I heard guests complain about. 

Luckily after the first day (massive queues at the MDR), service generally improved. There were some minor niggles, but generally it was fine.

Having boarded in Lisbon for same cruise I think the problem was made worse by the fact that a lot of people turned up early instead of sticking to their boarding time. We were amongst the first group to board but when we arrived at the port we found about 100 people already there. The system was managed by Az officers fairly well and I witnessed the Hotel Director telling the port staff to commence boarding. From this point we were on board the ship in about 20 minutes.

1 minute ago, Belfastman said:

Having boarded in Lisbon for same cruise I think the problem was made worse by the fact that a lot of people turned up early instead of sticking to their boarding time. We were amongst the first group to board but when we arrived at the port we found about 100 people already there. The system was managed by Az officers fairly well and I witnessed the Hotel Director telling the port staff to commence boarding. From this point we were on board the ship in about 20 minutes.

Was there contradictions on acceptable tests in Lisbon?  That seems to be adding to the confusion in Athens plus it’s a series of tents not a dedicated building. 

We had delays in Athens last year. Everyone seemed to have stuck to their times we made good progress through the processes (everyone was being tested then) then it ground to a halt. Eventually the Hotel Director was seen shouting over from the ship to the port agent (they’d no clearance to come down) to sort it. The issue was the immigration people were booked for 1330. They eventually arrived at 1500 by which time the back up was massive. 
When we boarded in Lisbon in April the officers were in the terminal and the immigration people were at their posts. 

So Athens seems to be the challenge and the testing people seem to contribute to it  Hopefully Azamara can escalate this to the right people and also sort out their  own disastrous communications re acceptable tests whilst they are at it. (The email I got this week the inexperienced cruiser could believe they could turn up with a test cassette showing a negative test or an NHS email confirmation of reporting a negative self administered test) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, uktog said:

Was there contradictions on acceptable tests in Lisbon?  That seems to be adding to the confusion in Athens plus it’s a series of tents not a dedicated building. 

We had delays in Athens last year. Everyone seemed to have stuck to their times we made good progress through the processes (everyone was being tested then) then it ground to a halt. Eventually the Hotel Director was seen shouting over from the ship to the port agent (they’d no clearance to come down) to sort it. The issue was the immigration people were booked for 1330. They eventually arrived at 1500 by which time the back up was massive. 
When we boarded in Lisbon in April the officers were in the terminal and the immigration people were at their posts. 

So Athens seems to be the challenge and the testing people seem to contribute to it  Hopefully Azamara can escalate this to the right people and also sort out their  own disastrous communications re acceptable tests whilst they are at it. (The email I got this week the inexperienced cruiser could believe they could turn up with a test cassette showing a negative test or an NHS email confirmation of reporting a negative self administered test) 

I wasn't aware of any contradictions in test acceptance. We had negative antigen tests carried out in our hotel the morning of embarking which we used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just got off the Pursuit in Stockholm-my first Azamara cruise and sad to say my last.Will give some of my general observations.I do agree that their crew and their service is generally outstanding but there were so many other shortcomings it is hard to imagine that everything is because of Covid.Yes, things were handled very poorly at the port in Lisbon-some issues were clearly Azamara and others were the Port Personnel.(i.e. only one person for quite some time doing security checks)Anyhow not a good impression to begin with but not a big deal either-took us 2.5 hours and we showed up at our scheduled time with all paperwork-did not need Covid Test.

The biggest disappointment was the excursions and lack of shuttles particularly in Amsterdam and Copenhagen.When we asked about a shuttle in Amsterdam the young lady responded "It is very walkable."

Yes, it was-we walked 7 miles that day and were exhausted-we were tired before we even tried to find the

area of Amsterdam that we wanted to be in.We do not have mobility issues but are in our 70's and I have had both knees replaced which are beginning to give me issues so it was not easy.God help people with mobility issues.In Copenhagen we were told that getting a taxi was very difficult so we felt forced to stay at port once excursion left us there-thus,we wasted 3 precious hours that could have been sent in one of my favorite ports because we were concerned about getting transportation back to the ship and it was not walkable.The lack of any kind of port information etc. was very disconcerting -I am used to the Port talks on Windstar that are so helpful-Azamara didn't seem to care if you had information or not.We did several of their excursions to use OBC-one was terrible, the others OK.Our best 2 days were with a private guide that we hired.

The food.....average to some above average.Very difficult to get any vegetables-found it wierd nthey didn't offer any vegetable sides.Some meals came with some veggies but others did not-only way to get anything green was to order a salad.I loved all of the dining choices but after a meal in Prime C with Chateaubriand we didn't think it was worth going back to either specialty restaurant .Some meals were very good but just not a highlight like I am used to on a cruise.We had what looked like a prime rib in MDR that was so tough we couldn't cut it.The desserts were really unimpressive and we heard others saying the same as was the bread-the buffet breakfast in Windows was excellent.

Loved the ship but I love all of the R ships which is why I sail Oceania and Windstar-must confess that I have not sailed them since Covid so difficult to compare now but my next cruise will be back with them.

Very disappointed in the mask wearing-people piled in to the elevators with no thought of distancing-

We usually had our masks on but often just stepped off and walked when we felt uncomfortable.We heard more and more coughing and sure enough the last night my husband started getting a scratchy throat and we are holed up in Stockholm-I also just started feeling unwell so who knows......I know that Azamara wants the passengers to enjoy the cruise and I appreciate that but we should be informed of Covid on board-we wore our masks more than most but maybe that would encourage people to be more careful.

All in all, I enjoyed  most of the cruise but it was my husband's first and he was unimpressed-guess I will have to go back and cruise with lady friends...but not on Azamara.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, HospiceRN1 said:

Just got off the Pursuit in Stockholm-my first Azamara cruise and sad to say my last

This is an uncomfortable read.  One gets the impression you were excited about traveling, wanted to like the Azamara cruise, and were willing to enjoy and like the ship and itinerary.  However, there were too many issues that piled up, and a tipping point or a straw that broke the camel's back.  Becoming ill at the  end of the cruise didn't help, and I hope your husband and yourself feel better quickly. 

I hope that Azamara leadership reads this and the other constructive feedback, and are made uncomfortable enough to be spurred to remedial actions, where and when possible.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Where does Azamara dock in Amsterdam and Copenhagen?

Has far has I am aware there has never been a shuttle in Amsterdam but a tram stop is outside the terminal.

The docking location in Copenhagen varies.

• Like 1

We are on our last day of a Spain intensive cruise and the closest thing I can complain about are the internet speed (normally bad on cruise ship) and having to reset my room key multiple times.

Thankfully, we have no mask police on our cruise and customer service is outstanding. Boarding was seamless, fully staffed cruise, and may even offer comparable customer service as Silversea. The only thing I noticed is that cruise prices seem to have ticked up, so for now, have decided to not book a future cruise. I suspect a part of this increase is due to the additional requirements of accommodating the expectations from some on this forum.

So my only warning is be careful what you ask for…but I want to share with others that Azamara provides a great product and will be under consideration for me and my family again in the future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, mdpa said:

The only thing I noticed is that cruise prices seem to have ticked up, so for now, have decided to not book a future cruise. I suspect a part of this increase is due to the additional requirements of accommodating the expectations from some on this forum.

So my only warning is be careful what you ask for…but I want to share with others that Azamara provides a great product and will be under consideration for me and my family again in the future.

Your findings on Quest highlights that there are possibly still inconsistencies between the ships that Azamara will have to iron out to protect the brand.  

All prices are up for the future some have significant rises.  I would be interested to know what additional requirements you think are pushing the cost up so significantly for everyone?  I am not sure if you are aware of the fuel cost challenge cruise lines are facing?  I believe most price increases are to protect against that issue.  Sorry but to think that Azamara is so customer feedback driven that they would jack up prices on the wishes of a few rather than the expectations of their institutional investors is laughable

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, uktog said:

Your findings on Quest highlights that there are possibly still inconsistencies between the ships that Azamara will have to iron out to protect the brand.  

All prices are up for the future some have significant rises.  I would be interested to know what additional requirements you think are pushing the cost up so significantly for everyone?  I am not sure if you are aware of the fuel cost challenge cruise lines are facing?  I believe most price increases are to protect against that issue.  Sorry but to think that Azamara is so customer feedback driven that they would jack up prices on the wishes of a few rather than the expectations of their institutional investors is laughable

Laughable? Increased fuel costs are certainly a consideration, but labor costs are almost always the biggest contributor to the cost of services. 

The additional labor at buffets, COVID protocols, and cancellations/accommodations I’m sure are having a huge issue on profitability. I’m sure it is also harder to find labor willing to wear masks for 6-months at a time, as I sure wouldn’t want the job.

7 hours ago, audobon_tx said:

Does Azamara still dock in Amsterdam by the Central station?

Yes I was on this cruise, we docked right next to central station, right in town, it was great.   Copenhagen we docked about a 10 minute walk from the little mermaid.  We walked there and also into town.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pirokp2 said:

Yes I was on this cruise, we docked right next to central station, right in town, it was great.   Copenhagen we docked about a 10 minute walk from the little mermaid.  We walked there and also into town.  

Strange we were also on this cruise and it was a 30 minute walk from the ship to central station.

Azamara pricing is generally relative to the top end lines prices (Seabourn, etc),price competitors (Oceania,Viking) and larger cruise lines (Celebrity, etc).

My sense, from the endless marketing in my inbox, is that the price relativities are still there but that all cruise lines have jacked up prices. There must be a significant number of people on rebooked 2020 and/or 2021 cruises using FCC. It appears that in 2022, up to now at least, Azamara cruises have been under subscribed; another negative toward raising normal revenues. 

Eventually, FCC will be absorbed and we’ll be left with 100% of prospective guests having to pay again. At that point we’ll find out what prices people are willing to pay. Personally speaking, I’ll wait as I think economic factors (cruise prices, inflation, cost of living pressures) may lead to price reductions to fill ships through 2023 and 24. If that doesn’t occur, then we face a decision as to who to cruise with (I fully expect we’ll still cruise - age dictates that time is running out).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, uktog said:

When you read everything was perfect and being compared to Silversea, it's a report to be taken with a pinch of salt. 

2 hours ago, Pirokp2 said:

A wise choice. I knew we'd not be far from the little mermaid, and Royal palace and easily walkable to Nyhaven, but decided to book the Copenhagen highlights, which turned out to be a coach stop at the Little Mermaid and another at the fountain and palace, then sit on a coach for two hours being told somrthing was on the other side of a wall while driving around for 2 hours.  Nice coach, lovely attendants, just very poor value and not what we had expected

The Guernsey potato peel trip also had issues. We were moved the day before to the morning start from the afternoon we had booked. I assumed "operating difficulties" meant they had to reschedule,  not that a trip if booked months ago, we were bumped. 

We were the last scheduled to leave the ship on tenders and arrived at the 1960s bus 40 minutes after the start time. Then further delayed because someone locked themselves in the toilets killing a further 25 mins. We arrived back though in time for the trip we had booked though.  So our 2.5 hour excursion lasted 1.5 hours. I have no idea if we missed any stops.... But we had to be back in time for the one we did actually book.

The late start was entirely down to Azamara and no one else.

7 hours ago, Belfastman said:

Strange we were also on this cruise and it was a 30 minute walk from the ship to central station.

Well I just Google mapped it, Central Station to the Movenpick hotel which we were docked next to and it’s 18 minutes.  We are boarding the Celebrity Apex today, in Amsterdam and taking a train to central station to board the ship, so I will time it, walking with the luggage and report back.  

22 hours ago, royallondon said:

Sounds a nightmare and so untypical of Azamara pre C.  They clearly need to review their procedures and fast.  Starting off a much anticipated cruise on the back foot isn’t what you want or should expect.
Now onboard, I’m sure your rocky embarkation will soon be behind you and  hope the rest of your cruise meets your expectations.  Have a great time.

Regards

so kind of you too say- so far had a lovely sea day yesterday. Even though ship is at just under 500 pax, pool area was packed. Atmosphere on board is relaxed and upbeat. Pax mostly Brits and  Americans ( around 220 ish each) with Belgian, French, German and Ozzies making up the rest. Apparently some Greeks as well although the cruise director saidthey were “ the captain’s family.”

LOL. Today in Port at Kavala which looks quite nice.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HospiceRN1 said:

The food.....average to some above average.Very difficult to get any vegetables-found it wierd nthey didn't offer any vegetable sides.Some meals came with some veggies but others did not-only way to get anything green was to order a salad. 

We boarded the Pursuit on 5/31, and did a B2B getting off 6/17.  I have to disagree about your comment of no vegetable sides.  We dined in the Discoveries most all nights.  We asked for vegetable sides and had no problem getting them.  Quite often we had sides of green beans and carrots, which we requested.  I am sure we could have gotten other vegetables too if we asked.  The vegetable sides weren’t on the menu but anyone can ask for sides of vegetables, also mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, French fries, etc.   I found them most accommodating also with modifying dishes if it included something I didn’t like. 

I agree with you about the lack of social distancing, non-mask wearing, and lack of information from Azamara regarding how many Covid cases were on board.  We wore masks all the time except when eating or outside social distancing.  We left Ernest’s show because it was packed (only one show time), about 95% unmasked people, and people were coughing.   

People sat in lounges coughing like crazy with no mask.  Staff didn’t ask them to put one on or leave.  The coughing the last 7 days on the ship was awful.  Deck 8 where we were had Covid cases as we had seen the staff put all the PPE on to go in a room, also trays with food outside doors a lot.  

I wish as you do that Azamara would have been forthcoming and honest with us.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mdpa said:

We are on our last day of a Spain intensive cruise and the closest thing I can complain about are the internet speed (normally bad on cruise ship) and having to reset my room key multiple times.

Thankfully, we have no mask police on our cruise and customer service is outstanding. Boarding was seamless, fully staffed cruise, and may even offer comparable customer service as Silversea. The only thing I noticed is that cruise prices seem to have ticked up, so for now, have decided to not book a future cruise. I suspect a part of this increase is due to the additional requirements of accommodating the expectations from some on this forum.

On Journey now in Greece we have been told Greek authorities require us to wear masks on the ship when we are indoors and even outside it is recommended however most folks are ignoring this and doing their thing. It seems that the mask wearers are definitely in the minority. I will ask my friend that it is like after her tour today  Thankfully no mask policing going on that I know of! So if you feel that a mask can protect you you wear it and then you will be protected. If you prefer to enjoy your cruise without a mask on, yes you can do that and take your chances. Nice to know that there is room for choice on board. Personally I never take the elevators and use doing the steps as an opportunity to get a little bit of extra exercise! Sure, there’s some coughing on board but Pre-covid , how many of us came to the theater, concert or opera and noticed how many people are coughing!!! 

Edited by yogagal47
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pirokp2 said:

Well I just Google mapped it, Central Station to the Movenpick hotel which we were docked next to and it’s 18 minutes.  We are boarding the Celebrity Apex today, in Amsterdam and taking a train to central station to board the ship, so I will time it, walking with the luggage and report back.  

For those that care, we just walked from Amsterdam Central today to the cruise terminal to board the Celebrity Apex.   It was a 16 minute walk with luggage from getting off the train (middle of station), exiting toward the water (look for the ferry signs), walk along the water then go up and over a ramp (don’t go below or you climb stairs).  Doing it this way avoids all stairs.   It was 16 minutes from the train to the cruise terminal.  Azamara Pursuit parked next to the cruise terminal last week when we were on it, that adds a 2-3 minute extra walk.  

From the ship to Amsterdam central you don’t need to go back to the train station.  You exit the terminal area, go right as if headed to the train station but before it cross over the street and go under the road.  From ship to canal streets you are there in about 15 minutes.  

• Like 1