Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

26 minutes ago, jwilcox said:

The version of Covid going around now is highly contageous. I was looking forward as much as anyone to not having to test before boarding and not needing masks. But right now ships full of unmasked people are just a  super-spreader event waiting to happen. If it were my call I'd resume testing before boarding to at least try to keep infected people from coming on board and starting an epidemic. Sure people could catch it on day trips, but unless it happened really early in the cruise hopefully that would not spread as fast as something that started spreading on embarcation day. Any way this kind of post has us thinking once again about what kind of precautions to take.

I'd agree with you. It's a pain to organise testing and it costs money but if it plays a part in keeping you from catching it and away from isolation, it's a price worth paying.

• Like 1

We recently did a pre-boarding test in Copenhagen that cost $20 USD... I'd gladly pay twice that or more to guarentee that the people next door, or at the next table, or on the same exursion, did not bring it onboard.   Azamara can't guarentee that people won't be infected on shore during the cruise, but they could do more to insure that it is not brought aboard by infected travelers on embarkcation   (see recent ONWARD voyage where many cases were observed in early days).  Other comments on this board that people are purposly concealing their infection because "they don't want to be inconvenienved"  are all the more reason for the Line to take a strict stand on people before boarding...   I doubt that people will cancel because testing is required;   I'm sure people will be happy that such assurances are in place.   We're already investing thousands of dollars in the trip... an addditaion 20 or 40 or 100 to increase the odds  we have a safe and enjoyable one, not isolated in a cabin with "haz-mat served meals" is certainly worth it to me!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DS said:

Other comments on this board that people are purposly concealing their infection because "they don't want to be inconvenienved"  are all the more reason for the Line to take a strict stand on people before boarding...   I doubt that people will cancel because testing is required;   I'm sure people will be happy that such assurances are in place.   We're already investing thousands of dollars in the trip... an addditaion 20 or 40 or 100 to increase the odds  we have a safe and enjoyable one, not isolated in a cabin with "haz-mat served meals" is certainly worth it to me!

We made our final payment on a B2B prior to the testing requirement being dropped.  Now my DH is extremely concerned, and we know we cannot just cancel (no CFAR insurance, since we only took our policy from our TA at final payment, a policy which still covers pre-existing conditions).  So we intend to be masked up wherever we go.   We've been fortunate that our vigilance has let us avoid Covid so far, but most of our friends who have begun socializing have contracted it, despite being double vaxed and double boosted, as we are.

We have some land travel prior to our cruise and have booked, at some expense, a private tour pre-cruise.   We have booked some ship excursions and I am hoping Azamara does not pack the buses.   In a couple of ports we are paying $$$ for private tours, rather than sharing the costs with others (doing this instead of bidding for a cabin upgrade).  We've been told that all the guides booked are vaccinated (whatever that means with Omicron) and will wear masks at our request.   When we DIY, we will do our utmost to maintain social distancing.    If we have to eat breakfast in our cabin, so be it.    We'll figure out dinner as we go.  Our main concern is to see the places on our itinerary.   If that means foregoing some of the onboard camaraderie and events, well, that's just the "price" of travel in time of Covid.    If testing is reinstituted, we are Ok with that, too   We accept that this is not travel like it was in 2019, and we will do everything we possibly can to remain healthy and keep our fellow guests safe as well.

• Like 9

Sitting in a fish market on Kristiannsaad, Norway having a fish fry 🙂.   It POURED early today but seems to have settled down and we have enjoyed exploring. 

Last night the captain report 4 more cases with which he was relieved. The surge over the weekend mist of been a big pop.   Most seem to be wearing masks for the moment- which we have always done. I wear one for work each do so it’s no different. 

the testing rules changed just a week before we were to board and it made me anxious too- like many of you.    Each sneeze or cough is analyzed in myself-  can’t help it.  So far so good with both my father me.   We are carrying tests and test regularly- as we do at home since fly frequently for work and work on crowds. 

I looked up the covid stats here in Norway- since it’s not mentioned ANYWHERE- 3500 deaths. And they stopped reporting cases one deaths on July 15,2022.   The cruise ships passengers tend to be in masks about the towns- but that’s it.   I worry about spreading something to someone - so am always cautious 

the Quest is still lovely.   Comedian/magician last night. And Justin- asst cruise director tonight doing his show for just the 3rd (and 4th) times.Amanda is wonderful as cruise director.  Captain Johannas is excited to be in Norway for the first time in three years and likes to share treats and dishes a whip out his phone and show people things on the map.    

Oslo tomorrow for overnight with white night.  The crew likes Oslo and is looking forward to it. 

• Like 4

It is certainly a lovely itinerary on Quest whether the weather is kind or not. Kristiansand is very pretty. 

What we are noting is the ship is impacted by the challenges of covid. The last two nights we’ve waited over 30 minutes for a table for 2 anywhere in the dining room. They are using pagers. Once in the dining room there were lots of empty tables and we asked the host about this. She said they had to close down stations as extra staff were needed for room service as guests were isolated and others were choosing to eat room service.  No managers were looking after the situation because they are diverted to “live cooking stations”

Yes lovely food but I think we need them more talking to guests waiting for ever for the “buzz”. 

The other big change is certainly on our deck the stateroom attendant has no assistant and although three rooms by us are isolating so not being cleaned our attendant is struggling to manage. We had dirty wine glasses in the room for three days (you never see them which is fair enough so eventually I left a note and they were cleared but you shouldn’t need to ask). Today we ran out of shower gel which is not being regularly topped up (interestingly never see the carts in the corridors) and we asked for more - none came so we’ve now escalated through guest relations. 

There are a lot of new starts. They are trying their best but many have much less proficiency in English than used to be the baseline. 

That said, we are very well fed and watered and as ever Norway delights! 

1DA6C06E-59B0-4350-A950-21DCB0AA828A.jpeg

8B3B5FA3-8A75-4458-AD8E-282F5ABAFB0B.jpeg

03768CEA-9DA7-4E4E-8315-4E7CEEE39484.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Can anybody tell me how much a bottle of Veuve Cliquot costs onboard?

Also, can anyone confirm the corkage fee being charged onboard as there seems to be some confusion surrounding an increase in same?

TIA

Edited by Beamafar

30 minutes ago, uktog said:

It is certainly a lovely itinerary on Quest whether the weather is kind or not. Kristiansand is very pretty. 

What we are noting is the ship is impacted by the challenges of covid. The last two nights we’ve waited over 30 minutes for a table for 2 anywhere in the dining room. They are using pagers. Once in the dining room there were lots of empty tables and we asked the host about this. She said they had to close down stations as extra staff were needed for room service as guests were isolated and others were choosing to eat room service.  No managers were looking after the situation because they are diverted to “live cooking stations”

Yes lovely food but I think we need them more talking to guests waiting for ever for the “buzz”. 

The other big change is certainly on our deck the stateroom attendant has no assistant and although three rooms by us are isolating so not being cleaned our attendant is struggling to manage. We had dirty wine glasses in the room for three days (you never see them which is fair enough so eventually I left a note and they were cleared but you shouldn’t need to ask). Today we ran out of shower gel which is not being regularly topped up (interestingly never see the carts in the corridors) and we asked for more - none came so we’ve now escalated through guest relations. 

There are a lot of new starts. They are trying their best but many have much less proficiency in English than used to be the baseline. 

That said, we are very well fed and watered and as ever Norway delights! 

1DA6C06E-59B0-4350-A950-21DCB0AA828A.jpeg

8B3B5FA3-8A75-4458-AD8E-282F5ABAFB0B.jpeg

03768CEA-9DA7-4E4E-8315-4E7CEEE39484.jpeg

Lovely pictures uktog.

Out of interest, how many are on your cruise?  We had 540 recently on “Onward” and our cabin Steward also had no assistant but was right on point.  We were on deck 7 and must say I can’t remember seeing any assistants.  

Regards

3 minutes ago, royallondon said:

Lovely pictures uktog.

Out of interest, how many are on your cruise?  We had 540 recently on “Onward” and our cabin Steward also had no assistant but was right on point.  We were on deck 7 and must say I can’t remember seeing any assistants.  

Regards

There are 560 onboard so nearing the full  compliment 

43 minutes ago, Kimbasmum said:

Could I ask if the same acupuncturist is on board?  I think you called him Dr. Death. He seemed to lurk around every corner!

I regret to say yes. Still pouncing! 

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2022 at 10:24 PM, Beamafar said:

Cheers, PP.  Celebrating a milestone birthday (60th - 2 days before embarkation).  Was thinking of bringing a bottle of bubbly onboard (wouldn’t be bothered, otherwise).  We have an aft cabin - may just pop it at sailaway and enjoy the wake.  

Certainly won’t be having it on an aft balcony now that we’ve won an upgrade bid on a CC.  🤪

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you!  Really looking forward to our first Azamara cruise.  The suite is the icing on the cake. 

So happy for you.  Thanks for letting us follow your adventure in upgradeland.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 5:15 PM, Scots Caz said:

my Onward cruise paperwork for December shows

". You may bring your own favourite spirit, beer or wine for private consumption in your suite or stateroom. If you wish to consume your spirit, beer or wine in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle is subject to a corkage fee of $25." 

Can anyone confirm what the corkage fee is right now?  Is it $10, $15 or $25?  I cannot find this information on my cruise paperwork.

If it is $15, any idea when (before December) it is going to increase to $25(!)? 😲

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Can anyone confirm what the corkage fee is right now?  Is it $10, $15 or $25?  I cannot find this information on my cruise paperwork.

I found mine (quoted above) on Guest Copy paperwork under 

Before You Cruise – Essential Information

Alcohol & Smoking Policy

12 minutes ago, Scots Caz said:

I found mine (quoted above) on Guest Copy paperwork under 

Before You Cruise – Essential Information

Alcohol & Smoking Policy

I can’t seem to find any reference to it on my guest copy.  The website is still advising the following:

A4E7BAA3-1017-42E8-B3A6-0B41CC2311A8.jpeg

Edited by Beamafar

On 7/31/2022 at 12:23 PM, laurieb said:

Not a big deal, but corkage on the Journey is now 15.00.  
Also, just read that the Atlas Bar cocktails are available on the Journey!

Sorry L.  I’ve just reread this post which answers the question I’ve been posing  (I’ve been reading so much I lose track of what’s been posted and where. 🙄)

I’ve just priced some champagne in Dublin airport and reckon it’ll be cheaper to buy some there and pay the corkage (if the bottle ever makes it out of the cabin lol).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, the mice said:

We made our final payment on a B2B prior to the testing requirement being dropped.  Now my DH is extremely concerned, and we know we cannot just cancel (no CFAR insurance, since we only took our policy from our TA at final payment, a policy which still covers pre-existing conditions).  So we intend to be masked up wherever we go.   We've been fortunate that our vigilance has let us avoid Covid so far, but most of our friends who have begun socializing have contracted it, despite being double vaxed and double boosted, as we are.

We have some land travel prior to our cruise and have booked, at some expense, a private tour pre-cruise.   We have booked some ship excursions and I am hoping Azamara does not pack the buses.   In a couple of ports we are paying $$$ for private tours, rather than sharing the costs with others (doing this instead of bidding for a cabin upgrade).  We've been told that all the guides booked are vaccinated (whatever that means with Omicron) and will wear masks at our request.   When we DIY, we will do our utmost to maintain social distancing.    If we have to eat breakfast in our cabin, so be it.    We'll figure out dinner as we go.  Our main concern is to see the places on our itinerary.   If that means foregoing some of the onboard camaraderie and events, well, that's just the "price" of travel in time of Covid.    If testing is reinstituted, we are Ok with that, too   We accept that this is not travel like it was in 2019, and we will do everything we possibly can to remain healthy and keep our fellow guests safe as well.

I'd very much agree with that. I'm not personally concerned about the medical effect of Omicron, having had it recently only mildly ( I realise others have health conditions that make them feel differently) but the fear of isolation and a ruined cruise costing £10k plus is enough. I said previously, I feel the cruise lines are outsourcing the risk to us here....

Edited by federalexpress
spelling

5 hours ago, federalexpress said:

I'd very much agree with that. I'm not personally concerned about the medical effect of Omicron, having had it recently only mildly ( I realise others have health conditions that make them feel differently) but the fear of isolation and a ruined cruise costing £10k plus is enough. I said previously, I feel the cruise lines are outsourcing the risk to us here....

Even if it is only a mild impact on you it could be much worse for others. For our part we are equally worried about getting it, and about unknowingly passing it on to others who might end up with a bad case.

• Like 2