Did You Know There Have Been Over 1,350 Covid Cases on Cruise Ships Since the Restart?

mnocket

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/11/05/covid-cruise-cdc-positive-us/

This in an environment where nearly everyone is vaccinated.  I've been reading more and more that  while vaccines are very effective at reducing hospitalizations and deaths, they really don't help that much with preventing infections and the spreading of Covid.  

1350 cases in 600,000 passengers (plus crews). How many cases have there been in your country in the last 4 months? According to Statista, over 12,000,000. Not sure what kind of point you are trying to make.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/11/05/covid-cruise-cdc-positive-us/

This in an environment where nearly everyone is vaccinated.  I've been reading more and more that  while vaccines are very effective at reducing hospitalizations and deaths, they really don't help that much with preventing infections and the spreading of Covid.  

Less than 1% breakthrough rate on ships. Actually pretty darn good. Look at the stats, not the actual number.

• Like 2

It isn't the total number of cases but the number of cases per ship that is significant.  I looked at the original article and it did not give me the necessary information to calculate the number of cases per ship and/or the number of ships that had cases.

DON

Every positive covid test, even if never symptomatic, is counted as a "case".

The solution is to not cruise until you feel that the situation has improved and you are comfortable sailing in that environment. 

Edited by BlueRiband
  • Like 2

I actually see this as positive news.  One fear that many of us who have kept on traveling and cruising is being on a ship or trip and having it badly interrupted because somebody else gets sick.  I know that sound very selfish but most would admit to the truth of what I say.  We have been on plenty of cruises with influenza and a few with norovirus and those cruises continued in a relatively normal manner.  Those who were ill were isolated and treated and life went on as normal except for some changes in the buffet when there were noro cases.  But when COVID happened the entire game changed.  Ships had to quickly end cruises, vessels were stranded without ports, folks were debarked in various places all over the world and had to make their way home, etc.

But now what seems to be happening is that there are some pretty good protocols in place that allow cruises to continue.  So, for example, when 8 people on the Seabourn Ovation tested positive while on a Greece cruise, those 8 (along with their traveling companions) were evacuated on the island of Rhodes, put into a decent local hotel, received necessary medical treatment and support and eventually went home (2 of those 8 were hospitalized).  But meanwhile the cruise continued on its normal schedule.  And it has been the same on many Caribbean cruises.  We must all learn how to live with COVID and the cruise/travel industry seems to have finally reached that conclusion.

Hank

• Like 4