Azamara Quest - Mediterranean Cities, October 28-November 4 2021

Bimmer09

2 hours ago, Werangels said:

I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog so a big thank you.  It’s been great to catch up on your adventures every few days.  Particularly loved your photos of Montserrat and Sagrada.  Seeing the sunlight through the stained glass windows is always a wow moment.  

Fabulous, thanks so much. 

Thank you for taking the considerable time to read it! Glad you liked those photos!

Tune in again May 2023 on the Princess Board!

Norris

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Unfortunately Bonaire is not on this trip . As divers it is our favorite of the ABC's . We do have Aruba , Curacao , Dominican Republic , Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay ( Bahamas) . Cheers Norris !

The 9 day Dec 30 sailing? Nieuw Amsterdam? Pretty ship if so.

Norris

Norris, thank you for doing this. We have all missed travelling so it has been better than ever. 

I have enjoyed the journey , great photos, entertaining and informative narrative. Looking forward to the next time.  

Sandra

• Like 1

6 hours ago, macsford said:

Norris, thank you for doing this. We have all missed travelling so it has been better than ever. 

I have enjoyed the journey , great photos, entertaining and informative narrative. Looking forward to the next time.  

Sandra

Sandra, we had gone for just over 2 years without a cruise but in between had 4 days in Las Vegas (pre Covid) and 3 days driving up in Michigan this past May so were very ready for Europe. Besides Nice being a washout it was a good cruise, just missing a sea day though so we were usually dining or asleep  when the ship was moving. 

Hope to see you in the Alaska review!

Norris

17 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

The 9 day Dec 30 sailing? Nieuw Amsterdam? Pretty ship if so.

Norris

Bingo ! We haven't been on the Nieuw Amsterdam yet but we did book our first Neptune Suite on her sister ship the Eurodam in Alaska . We were able to book our favorite aft wrap balcony for this cruise and we like this independent web site called halfacts.com that allows people to post photos of their cabins and HAL ships . Here's the link of some of our photos of our previous aft wrap .

https://halfacts.com/vista-class/5191-zuiderdam-s/

Our next cruise ship , the Silver Moon is in port about 60 miles from us today and we couldn't resist a screen shot of her nice , clean curves .

Silversea 1.png

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Bingo ! We haven't been on the Nieuw Amsterdam yet but we did book our first Neptune Suite on her sister ship the Eurodam in Alaska . We were able to book our favorite aft wrap balcony for this cruise and we like this independent web site called halfacts.com that allows people to post photos of their cabins and HAL ships . Here's the link of some of our photos of our previous aft wrap .

https://halfacts.com/vista-class/5191-zuiderdam-s/

Our next cruise ship , the Silver Moon is in port about 60 miles from us today and we couldn't resist a screen shot of her . Nice , clean curves .

Silversea 1.png

Thanks Joe- I remember that aft acreage from your review.

When on the HAL site recently (and a couple months ago) I did a dummy booking and I saw that I couldn't pick my own verandah cabin-it was a guarantee not something I will ever choose. On the Princess site (The Rolex of websites as far as I have seen) I am able to  pick the exact cabin I want. Maybe just one reason why I often choose Princess.

I went to the Silversea site and couldn't even look at their cruise listings without giving them my email address so I backed out. I didn't see a link to look at their ships. I checked Beyond Ships  and the nearest ship I found was the Silver Spirit but it had no interior pics. I'll check Youtube for Silver Moon.

Cheers!

Norris

24 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Bimmer, I have been following along since the beginning but am not able to post on CC very often to tell you so. Thanks so much for your wonderful review. I enjoyed it immensely, and was especially interested in the Azamara experience, which you conveyed perfectly. Thanks again!

Hi and thanks for letting me know you have read and enjoyed my GSJ!

It's always nice to know who is reading.

I have another Az ship review in my signature. I'm a fan.

With your 149 cruises I will never catch up! Happy Sailing.

Cheers!

Norris

3 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

When on the HAL site recently (and a couple months ago) I did a dummy booking and I saw that I couldn't pick my own verandah cabin-it was a guarantee not something I will ever choose. On the Princess site (The Rolex of websites as far as I have seen) I am able to  pick the exact cabin I want. Maybe just one reason why I often choose Princess.

I went to the Silversea site and couldn't even look at their cruise listings without giving them my email address so I backed out. I didn't see a link to look at their ships. I checked Beyond Ships  and the nearest ship I found was the Silver Spirit but it had no interior pics. I'll check Youtube for Silver Moon.

Cheers!

Norris

You are right about dealing with HAL - they are not easy to deal with unless you are ready pay at the point of purchase . At that time the possibilities open . Both we and our TA have never dealt with Silversea but they seem to be similar . Our TA does take care of the details for us though . The Silver Muse is a sister ship to the Moon so perhaps more info is available . Both of the suites that we have selected ( Silversea and Princess ) are nice cabins with nice bathrooms but the verandahs are VINOs .

A link to the Silver Moon

https://www.silversea.com/life-onboard/luxury-ocean-view-suites/deluxe-veranda-suite.html

4 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Cheers!

Norris

Norris, Here is one YouTube video of the Moon.  She debuted this year (I will be on her even younger sister  Dawn in June.)  The SS site won't let you see exact cabins but you should be able to explore itineraries without giving personal information. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Norris, Here is one YouTube video of the Moon.  She debuted this year (I will be on her even younger sister  Dawn in June.)  The SS site won't let you see exact cabins but you should be able to explore itineraries without giving personal information. 

Thanks for the link- the video is by a favorite blogger of mine Visit With Us-I've commented on some of his videos in the past. This is a stunning ship and is the Extreme Luxury end of the market and would show Azamara something to aim for but it looks unaffordable to someone like me who would like to do more cruising not less. I could imagine one cruise very two years on a vessel like this vs 4 or more on Princess in a suite of 525 sq ft.  Or 4 Azamara trips in a verandah.  We started off in Princess for the first 5 years in aft suites and although they were fabulous we aren't cabin dwellers and the small Az verandah cabins kinda influence you to go up on deck which is where I live anyway due to my smoking and photography habit. This ship really caters to smokers in a big way with some fine lounges. Very impressive decor! I will be very interested (as will all Az lovers) in a custom-built Az ship which is talked about for the future. Azamara is luxury-lite.

I watch a lot of Youtube videos and a few feature the real luxury ships like Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, Crystal and the high end German ones but am never really drawn to them. I am drawn to Business Class air travel to get to our starting point, nice Hotels before and after, eating outdoors without considering prices first. Seabourn's caviar on request would be lost on me. Lobster available for lunch each day ( I think that's Oceania) I wouldn't need even though it's my favorite sea monster. I guess I am saying I don't feel I need to indulge myself unless there's a Guinness fountain somewhere on board. That's an LOL statement-there's a time when only Guinness will do. Many times when it's inappropriate.

If I was to splurge for a luxury ship, based on the ones I've seen on Youtube-not promos made for the owners of the line-then the Silversea ones would be first choice. I've actually been reading a Silver Spirit review recently on CC written by JP Albany a reviewer/photographer I like and I do like what I see. Perhaps some cruise in the future? Joe's review will help me focus

If Carol were retired I'd be all for taking advantage of ships leaving Ft Lauderdale or Miami selling cabins at fire-sale prices a week from departure! Meantime we have to pick a week and plan and stick to it.

I'm very glad you were with us on this review- I know it's far from your first Bimmer09 epic and that makes it doubly gratifying.

So thanks.

Norris

• Like 1

I am not trying to sell you on Silversea; however, I had the same thoughts (fear!) about prices until I priced out itineraries on both lines.  I found the p/d for Azamara was within $60 of that of SS so once you account for inclusions like airfare and tours SS had a better offer.   (This happened for a number of trips I am considering.) Of course I am traveling as a solo now so that may be a factor. In any case, I have bookings on both lines and am looking forward to them. 

I am also looking forward to your next GSJ when that lands.

36 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I am not trying to sell you on Silversea; however, I had the same thoughts (fear!) about prices until I priced out itineraries on both lines.  I found the p/d for Azamara was within $60 of that of SS so once you account for inclusions like airfare and tours SS had a better offer.   (This happened for a number of trips I am considering.) Of course I am traveling as a solo now so that may be a factor. In any case, I have bookings on both lines and am looking forward to them. 

I am also looking forward to your next GSJ when that lands.

Oh I was already interested on Silversea from JP's reviews from a couple of years back and now his latest from just a week or so ago but assumed the price was more than we would ever want to spend and the video showed a stunning ship that was very photogenic.  A per day disparity of $60 over Az is nothing and is surprising. I will give them my email gladly and investigate further. Traveling as solo I would assume you are paying a higher rate than 2 in a cabin/suite?

Thanks for getting back to me. Now I am curious!

Norris

14 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Oh I was already interested on Silversea from JP's reviews from a couple of years back and now his latest from just a week or so ago but assumed the price was more than we would ever want to spend and the video showed a stunning ship that was very photogenic.  A per day disparity of $60 over Az is nothing and is surprising. I will give them my email gladly and investigate further. Traveling as solo I would assume you are paying a higher rate than 2 in a cabin/suite?

Thanks for getting back to me. Now I am curious!

Norris

Most cruise lines charge a solo as if there were 2 in the room (100% solo "supplement"), so you pay for 2 persons.  I am finding SS mostly offers only 50% and sometimes 25% solo supplement.  Azamara's solo specials have effectively disappeared so that helps push me over to SS. 

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

Thank you Norris, I loved your review! 

Thank you also to Carol for adding tidbits along the way!

Before I am able to do a review again, it will be 2 years and 8 months since our last sailing.  Is there a cruisers anonymous page some where?   Link to last review:  

I will hopefully be sharing a review after our May, 2022,  British Isles Cruise on Emerald Princess.  Fingers crossed things will be a go this time!  (There have been four cancellations of said cruise during this COVID time).  It will be our first time to British Isles, and I really enjoyed your Dublin photos as that will be one of our stops.

Stay safe and healthy!

Kitty  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ROWSE said:

Before I am able to do a review again, it will be 2 years and 8 months since our last sailing.  Is there a cruisers anonymous page some where?   Link to last review:  

I will hopefully be sharing a review after our May, 2022,  British Isles Cruise on Emerald Princess.  Fingers crossed things will be a go this time!  (There have been four cancellations of said cruise during this COVID time).  It will be our first time to British Isles, and I really enjoyed your Dublin photos as that will be one of our stops.

Stay safe and healthy!

Kitty  

Barging in for a minute (sorry Bimmer)...we did this itinerary on Jewel of the Seas shortly before you did in 2019...it was wonderful.  We did five days in Rome pre-cruise and a few in the group continued the trip at the end of the cruise with a trip to Tuscany.   I'm going to have to go back and find your review!

Susan

Edited by lola2013
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ROWSE said:

Stay safe and healthy!

Kitty  

Kitty, thanks for reading along!

2 years and 8 months is a long stretch. None of us could have foreseen being away from the seas for so long back in 2019 but you have a great cruise to plan for and savor once it gets here. I'll take a look at your itinerary-so far I know Dublin. We just got a tantalizing glimpse of it without even getting down to the river and the touristy area of Temple Bar but it was a taste of a city we'll be happy to see again.

Are planning to stay in the UK for a few days before or after the cruise?

I'm from the UK but am not at all blasé about it- we watch a lot of Rick Steves UK visits of places we have yet to explore. You could take a month or more just to savor what London has to offer!

I'll be watching for your review of course.

Cheers,

Norris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROWSE said:

Link to last review:  

Hi Kitty,

Hopefully, we'll be doing almost the same itinerary next June (instead of Naples, the main draw for us was Malta). I've bookmarked your review, thanks for providing the link. In turn, I wish your British Isles cruises to be a very enjoyable one.

10 Days Greece/Turkey/Black Sea

Celebrity Cruises • Celebrity Beyond
Rome/Civitavecchia, Katakolon, Mykonos, Thira/Santorini, Rhodes, Athens/Piraeus, Valletta, Barcelona
1 departure dates: Jun 13 2022
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bimmer09 said:
1 hour ago, Bimmer09 said:

Are planning to stay in the UK for a few days before or after the cruise?

We are planning to stay in London for a full week after the cruise.  So excited, and I know we will not even scratch the surface, but we will give it the Boy Scout try for sure!!!

Kitty 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Hi Kitty,

Hopefully, we'll be doing almost the same itinerary next June (instead of Naples, the main draw for us was Malta). I've bookmarked your review, thanks for providing the link. In turn, I wish your British Isles cruises to be a very enjoyable one.

10 Days Greece/Turkey/Black Sea

Celebrity Cruises • Celebrity Beyond
Rome/Civitavecchia, Katakolon, Mykonos, Thira/Santorini, Rhodes, Athens/Piraeus, Valletta, Barcelona
1 departure dates: Jun 13 2022

Malta? Don't get me started, LOL. Valletta harbor is unforgettable. Covered in my Ocean Princess review.

15584408492_70549ddf66_b.thumb.jpg.ae95c2815ce66d44658c07920a2cd99f.jpg

Norris hoping to see Malta again one day

• Like 4